CBS Lines to be defunct by this year's end

PinePower

A driver I know at CBS Lines told me some terrible news today. CBS is folding by this year's end, as Suffolk Bus Corp was awarded all their routes by the county. All the drivers at CBS will be out of work, and Suffolk Bus Corp pretty much sent the notice out to all drivers just before Thanksgiving, saying that they will be "accepting applications", but the CBS drivers will lose all their seniority and are being asked to work for much less.

I never cared for Suffolk Bus Corp and this just proves it, their maintanance is not great, often in summer the a/c never works on their buses, and their drivers often run hot by 10 minutes or more and there's no enforcement.

I guess we can now look forward to that lovely service now on the S58,62, et al.

CBS was the best run company out there and I always made sure to let the county know that, but apparently no one over there was listening.

SBC are just as bad as Veolia, trust me, with this stunt.

You can bet the county will be hearing an earful from me on Monday.

Might as well have the MTA takeover out there now, all the good companies are gone! You can add Inter-County to that list too, their routes were awarded to EBT.

It seems bus drivers all across Long Island are getting treated like garbage, this just makes me so sad and angry at the same time. First we lose Long Island Bus, now CBS Lines and Inter-County. I think it's really time the (MTA) take over everything out here, these private companies are out to screw everyone and they have the politcians (Mangano, Levy) in their pocket. The decent ones like CBS dont stand a chance, Suffolk Bus is loaded with campaign contributions just like Veolia.:P:mad:

A driver I know at CBS Lines told me some terrible news today. CBS is folding by this year's end, as Suffolk Bus Corp was awarded all their routes by the county. All the drivers at CBS will be out of work, and Suffolk Bus Corp pretty much sent the notice out to all drivers just before Thanksgiving, saying that they will be "accepting applications", but the CBS drivers will lose all their seniority and are being asked to work for much less.

I never cared for Suffolk Bus Corp and this just proves it, their maintanance is not great, often in summer the a/c never works on their buses, and their drivers often run hot by 10 minutes or more and there's no enforcement.

I guess we can now look forward to that lovely service now on the S58,62, et al.

CBS was the best run company out there and I always made sure to let the county know that, but apparently no one over there was listening.

SBC are just as bad as Veolia, trust me, with this stunt.

You can bet the county will be hearing an earful from me on Monday.

Might as well have the MTA takeover out there now, all the good companies are gone! You can add Inter-County to that list too, their routes were awarded to EBT.

It seems bus drivers all across Long Island are getting treated like garbage, this just makes me so sad and angry at the same time. First we lose Long Island Bus, now CBS Lines and Inter-County. I think it's really time the (MTA) take over everything out here, these private companies are out to screw everyone and they have the politcians (Mangano, Levy) in their pocket. The decent ones like CBS dont stand a chance, Suffolk Bus is loaded with campaign contributions just like Veolia.:P:mad:

You forgot one thing-they're out to break the unions.

You have money to make excursions into places out east as far as Kings Park but can't get a job...

And who cares about Suffolk Transit?

that is a very arrogant thing to say I use suffolk transit several times myself and hate some of the rtes there. S58 is downright embarrasing. Pinepower is right about em being HOT as I got BURNED HARD by that however it only ran hot by 2 mins but enough to screw me over.

I sometimes go as far as greenport and sag harbor that is offensive.

@pinepower do you always complain about LI service??? It's bad BUT not a trainwreck. They suck but they don't suck HARDCORE

If the (MTA) is letting go of Nassau, they certainly aren't going to serve Suffolk. It may be sad to you John, but it's true. I'm not much of a fan of these private operators (especially Liberty Lines) because of the way they tend to deal with photographers, but I could never imagine an (MTA) takeover out in Suffolk. At least the county is hiring small American businesses to do the job, unlike Nassau with their multinational corporation Veolia. I think service should just be the same as it always was everywhere, (MTA) running LIB, the private operators running Bee-Line, ST, and the NYCDOT routes, etc.

If the (MTA) is letting go of Nassau, they certainly aren't going to serve Suffolk. It may be sad to you John, but it's true. I'm not much of a fan of these private operators (especially Liberty Lines) because of the way they tend to deal with photographers, but I could never imagine an (MTA) takeover out in Suffolk. At least the county is hiring small American businesses to do the job, unlike Nassau with their multinational corporation Veolia. I think service should just be the same as it always was everywhere, (MTA) running LIB, the private operators running Bee-Line, ST, and the NYCDOT routes, etc.

You know, I do agree with you on that BUT sometime down the road it would NOT surprise me if VEOLIA takes over and possibly makes Suffolk Transit a "NICE" system. UGH...NICE!

You know, I do agree with you on that BUT sometime down the road it would NOT surprise me if VEOLIA takes over and possibly makes Suffolk Transit a "NICE" system. UGH...NICE!
beat me to it. I think that would be very NICE. Many ppl on city data already want it to happen. I hope NICE things happen to SCT who knows rush hour service may become very NICE I hope. Sorry pinepower but you keep looking for the worst in systems you simply bitch too much. Calm down no transit is perfect if you really want a system to bash and bitch about then try dutchess LOOP they SUCK SO HARD if you were to try it you will literally go insane. Can you ppl imagine pinepower episode dutchess LOOP dude you are overblowing this big time. Again I used many systems I know what BAD really looks like so don't start on your LI service sucks rant again cause if you used half of the routes I used you will literally pull your hair out. Yes suffolk is bad but trust me I used worse!!!!!!!! calm down I hate LI transit.

As someone who deals with suppliers and contracts every day, I can tell you that there are many reasons why a company or agency may decide to change service providers. Cost may be a factor, of course. Insurance and liability coverage is huge these days. New management at the supplier. The county may have also changed its contract language and the supplier is refusing to agree to the new wording. In our lawsuit-happy society today, an organization has to make sure it is covered in the event something bad happens.

Transit - Maintenance Manager (Proposed Business) - Suffolk County

Veolia Transport - Syracuse, NY

This job posting is no longer available on Veolia Transport. Find similar jobs: Transit jobs - Veolia Transport jobs

The Maintenance Manager will be responsible for managing employees who repair, maintain, clean, and fuel a fleet of buses or vans for a 24/7 operation transportation location. Responsible for facility and building equipment repair. Responsible for recordkeeping for all fleet and facility maintenance.May oversee clerks carrying out departmental record-keeping, including Maintenance Management Information System (MMIS), and parts inventory records. As the Manager, you will supervise mechanics that ...

Veolia Transport - 5 months ago

It looks like Veolia also thought about it... If you remember Veolia also put out other "proposed business" job postings to see if enough qualified candidates would apply for certain positions before they bid on the Nassau contract.

It would make sense if Veolia got into the SCT game, especially with routes that Inter-County ran and EBT runs, Veolia could open up a yard in Babylon, Coipague, Lindenhurst, Amityville, or Massapequa to operate the InterCounty/SCT routes as well as the eastern NICE routes. I understand NICE buses will be owned by Nassau and SCT buses are by Suffolk County and couldn't be co-mingled unless a deal was made with the Counties, but is any wording in these contracts that said SCT and NICE buses couldn't share a yard and maintenance facility? That would save both Counties money.

I now heard that EBT is indeed getting Inter-County's routes

Yup heard that too. My 2 favorite companies, REAL BUS COMPANIES, are closing. EBT and Suffolk Transportation are SCHOOL BUS COMPANIES.

And the missing run disease has now spread to Suffolk, never saw the last westbound S56 that leaves Smith Haven Mall at 6:30pm to Commack pass through Smithtown tonight.

Understandably the drivers at CBS are getting a raw deal, many I've heard arent showing up for work. Can't blame 'em. Most of the ppl I know arent going to work for Suffolk Bus because they are going to lose their medical and be paid less (last thing I heard was $18 an hour). And one guy I know was supposed to get a raise next year. :(

It looks like Veolia also thought about it... If you remember Veolia also put out other "proposed business" job postings to see if enough qualified candidates would apply for certain positions before they bid on the Nassau contract.

It would make sense if Veolia got into the SCT game, especially with routes that Inter-County ran and EBT runs, Veolia could open up a yard in Babylon, Coipague, Lindenhurst, Amityville, or Massapequa to operate the InterCounty/SCT routes as well as the eastern NICE routes. I understand NICE buses will be owned by Nassau and SCT buses are by Suffolk County and couldn't be co-mingled unless a deal was made with the Counties, but is any wording in these contracts that said SCT and NICE buses couldn't share a yard and maintenance facility? That would save both Counties money.

Well instead of N.I.C.E. why not the Long Island Transportation Authority (LITA)?

Well instead of N.I.C.E. why not the Long Island Transportation Authority (LITA)?

Veolia manages transportations systems for counties, cities and transit authorities, why would they be interested in forming a transit authority for Nassau and Suffolk instead of just managing their transit system via a contract? Seems like a much bigger project, more headaches, and more room for trouble.

Why would Nassau and Suffolk counties allow Veolia to manage a transit authority instead just managing their transit system? Don't you think this would cause many problems with each county saying they are spending their transit funding on the other county ?

Veolia manages transportations systems for counties, cities and transit authorities, why would they be interested in forming a transit authority for Nassau and Suffolk instead of just managing their transit system via a contract? Seems like a much bigger project, more headaches, and more room for trouble.

Why would Nassau and Suffolk counties allow Veolia to manage a transit authority instead just managing their transit system? Don't you think this would cause many problems with each county saying they are spending their transit funding on the other county ?

nope cause the money will be shared in a combined budget.

Yup heard that too. My 2 favorite companies, REAL BUS COMPANIES, are closing. EBT and Suffolk Transportation are SCHOOL BUS COMPANIES.

And the missing run disease has now spread to Suffolk, never saw the last westbound S56 that leaves Smith Haven Mall at 6:30pm to Commack pass through Smithtown tonight.

Understandably the drivers at CBS are getting a raw deal, many I've heard arent showing up for work. Can't blame 'em. Most of the ppl I know arent going to work for Suffolk Bus because they are going to lose their medical and be paid less (last thing I heard was $18 an hour). And one guy I know was supposed to get a raise next year. :(

The last bus could have broke down. 5078 and 5074 normally work the 56, though if another bus is out 5074 gets pulled to cover so another bus is put on.

Do you have any actual, fact-based news besides 'a driver told me'?

I heard form a person at the know at CBS that the drivers were told and will be offered contracts from Suffolk Bus Corp soon. Though its doesn't seem likely (from that persons view) that every CBS driver will be hired by Suffolk Bus.

• 2 months later...
A driver I know at CBS Lines told me some terrible news today. CBS is folding by this year's end

According to State Records CBS Lines, Inc is still a active company. Though what they could possibly be up to is beyond me. My guess is that its still open because they never filed a WARN report and there for are legally responsible to pay former employees who have not been hired back pay, or something to that effect. 29 of CBS's 37 drivers were not hired by Suffolk Bus Corp. (one driver had retired due to medical reasons, one wasn't hired because she failed her road test and possibly because of her age, and another wasn't hired because of some reason that wasn't really explained to me)

Inter-County Motor Coach is still an active company (however their parent company Babylon Transit did close its doors before the end of last year), no work what is going on with that company as well.

Archived