NBA 2011-'12 and off season discussion Thread

553 Bridgeton

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't think David Stern and the NBA Owners are that dumb like the NHL did with their work stoppage in the '04-'05 season to wipe out a season.

In end (just a guess)the lockout will end around January IMO(just like in 1998-'99 season)playing only a 45-50 game regular season. NBA players union are not the MLBPA and will beg to return. Unlike the stupid recent NFL lockout, there are some NBA owners IMO losing money. When the dust settles after at least about 1/3 of the regular season games being cancelled and a NHL type hard salary cap will likely occur after this dispute is over.

I could look like an idiot but my takes.:eek:

The owners want the players to get 47-48% but the players dont want that. I think this season will be wiped out. I give it 0 chance we will see a game on Nov.1st.

I hope the season does not get wiped out bro. I don't feel sorry or care for this dispute between either the bastard Millionarie players and Billionarie Owners here. I feel bad though for the little people such as those ticket takers, hot dog/food vendors, office staff, etc. who will get laid off (lose their jobs) and in this depression woops mega recession to pay their bills/feed their families. Thus they will have hell getting another job.:mad:

• 2 weeks later...

Well it's offical. To shock of no one David Stern and NBA Owners today cancelled the first 2 weeks of the 2011-'12 NBA regular season.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2011/10/04/2011-10-04_nba_lockout_cancels_first_two_weeks_of_regular_season_controversy_over_offer_to_.html

Meanwhile Kobe Bryant is on verge of playing in Italy for the rest of the time the NBA work stoppage drags on.

Well it's offical. To shock of no one David Stern and NBA Owners today cancelled the first 2 weeks of the 2011-'12 NBA regular season.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/basketball/2011/10/04/2011-10-04_nba_lockout_cancels_first_two_weeks_of_regular_season_controversy_over_offer_to_.html

Meanwhile Kobe Bryant is on verge of playing in Italy for the rest of the time the NBA work stoppage drags on.

Tonight David Stern(10/10/11) made offical what been reported in media for a week now.

Next is games for rest of November now in danger of being wiped out.:eek:

Tonight David Stern(10/10/11) made offical what been reported in media for a week now.

Next is games for rest of November now in danger of being wiped out.:eek:

• 2 weeks later...

This NBA lockout update presented by Forbes:eek:. While some 'minor' good news as the White House has sent a federal Mediatator in trying to solve the work stoppage(they still miles apart on the main issues which is 1)total % of ticket sale gross 2)salary cap terms there was a huge controversial comments made by long time Sports Commentator and also former co-host of NBC's "Today" show Bryant Gumbel.

Gumbel basically called David Stern a plantation owner and brought the race angel in which the majority of players are Black/African Descent. Here the controversial clip from the October 2011 "Real Sports" which debuted last night (10/18). Any reactions on Gumbel's comments after viewing the clip?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lTXI-ivWEdo

The NBA needs to get their act together...slightly going off topic, the NFL got their season going.

This is just sad!

Yup Matt you right. Hey it took several years for the NHL after missing the 2004-'05 season to return to tv ratings/ticket sales before that meltdown nearly ruined pro hockey. Also let also remember that MLB after their last strike cancel the 1994 World series/playoffs it took them years to recover. Matter of fact, some people even believe MLB has never recovered fully from the '94-'95 strike. One possible proof is with the lowest tv ratings (at least in the US)of their playoffs ever this 2011 post season. Since after the mid '90's strike, the only time the WS does well in ratings is when either the Yankees or Red Sox are involved.

So David Stern, the owners and players better get an agreement soon. Or else they will take a long while to get back fans if the 2011-'12 season is wiped out.:eek::tdown:

Yup Matt you right. Hey it took several years for the NHL after missing the 2004-'05 season to return to tv ratings/ticket sales before that meltdown nearly ruined pro hockey. Also let also remember that MLB after their last strike cancel the 1994 World series/playoffs it took them years to recover. Matter of fact, some people even believe MLB has never recovered fully from the '94-'95 strike. One possible proof is with the lowest tv ratings (at least in the US)of their playoffs ever this 2011 post season. Since after the mid '90's strike, the only time the WS does well in ratings is when either the Yankees or Red Sox are involved.

So David Stern, the owners and players better get an agreement soon. Or else they will take a long while to get back fans if the 2011-'12 season is wiped out.:eek::tdown:

Well, I wouldn't say the strike was the main downfall of MLB WS ratings. You have the fact that these days there's so many channels and options to watch. So people aren't stuck with just the basic channels.

I also feel that Interleague is the problem. THe WS was where you'd have 2 teams that never faced each other play and that was interesting. Now unless the two teams are from big markets, a Pirates-Rays match up would be abysmal.

2003 WS was not so great because despite it being the Yankees there, the Marlins has a very small market. Had it been the Cubs there, that would've been monster ratings [not just because of Chicago, but because of how long the Cubs have gone without a WS win].

Well, I wouldn't say the strike was the main downfall of MLB WS ratings. You have the fact that these days there's so many channels and options to watch. So people aren't stuck with just the basic channels.

I also feel that Interleague is the problem. THe WS was where you'd have 2 teams that never faced each other play and that was interesting. Now unless the two teams are from big markets, a Pirates-Rays match up would be abysmal.

2003 WS was not so great because despite it being the Yankees there, the Marlins has a very small market. Had it been the Cubs there, that would've been monster ratings [not just because of Chicago, but because of how long the Cubs have gone without a WS win].

Concourse i agree with most of your comments. The only take i agree with those critics on the 1994-'95 strike still playing a role in lower ws tv ratings is this reply. Several world series in the mid 1980's into the early '90's featuring the Cards-Brewers, Royals-Cards(the Interstate 70 with 2 teams in same midwest state)and in 1991 Braves-Twins all featured teams from either at best mid market teams i.e Cards and braves and small market clubs with the Royals and Twins. And we not even counting the Blue Jays winning 2 straight WS (playing in Canada)also getting better ratings than now in 2011.

In other words after the mid-'90's strike Bud Selig and his tv partners i.e Fox, ESPN and recent years TBS only promote the bigger city teams such as the Yanks, Red Sox, Phillies, Cubs, etc.

So Concourse you make a good point in this 200-plus digital cable era, almost every tv show from sport-reality-scripted ratings has gone down. Even the super bowl which is usually the most watched event on TV every year had to "RE-INVENT" themselves to appeal to the non-sports fan. The Super Bowl has now also become part-Oscar, Part-American Holiday (i.e Madonna is supposed to giving halftime performer in Feb.)and as also a NFL fan, I dislike how the Hollyweird audience has taken over a world championship game. That another discussion. So hope buddy Concourse you understand my point on lower TV ratings on the WS.

And on Mattrain's point. IMO While Bryant is a brilliant sports commentator/news anchor (he horrible on play-play though as he was the NFL Network 1st play-play man)he not exactly pro-black at times. I never hear Gumbel supporting Black community issues and yet i think he makes these controversial comments so viewers can watch the "real sports' show he hosts and produces.

Is Stern greedy and only cares about $$$ IMO? Yes. Is Stern who is both White and Jewish a racist? No way. Bryant a news flash, Stern singlehandely helped the NBA to recurit the first two Afro-American majority owners of a major sports team in North America. Robert Johnson (founder of BET television in case you don't know) and later Micheal Jordan (yes old number # (2)(3))of the Bobcats team.

Gumbel was way off base in his recent comments on bringing race into a dispute in which money is the only issue. So next time Bryant calls Glen Beck or Rush 'racist' just think how stupid he sounded in this video clip i played above.:tdown:

Concourse i agree with most of your comments. The only take i agree with those critics on the 1994-'95 strike still playing a role in lower ws tv ratings now is this. Several world series featuring the Cards-Brewers, Royals-Cards(the Interstate 70 with 2 teams in same midwest state)and in 1991 Braves-Twins all featured teams from either at best mid market teams i.e Cards and braves and small market clubs with the Royals and Twins.

In other words after the mid-'90's strike Bud Selig and his tv partners i.e Fox, ESPN and recent years TBS only promote the bigger city teams such as the Yanks, Red Sox, Phillies, Cubs, etc.

So Concourse you make a good point in this 200-plus digital cable era, almost every tv show from sport-reality-scripted ratings has gone down. Even the super bowl which is usually the most watched event on TV every year had to "RE-INVENT" themselves to appeal to the non-sports fan. The Super Bowl has now also become part-Oscar, Part-American Holiday (i.e Madonna is supposed to giving halftime performer in Feb.)and as also a NFL fan, I dislike how the Hollyweird audience has taken over a world championship game. That another discussion. So hope buddy Concourse you understand my point on lower TV ratings on the WS.

And on Mattrain's point. IMO While Bryant is a brilliant sports commentator/news anchor (he horrible on play-play though as he was the NFL Network 1st play-play man)he not exactly pro-black at times. I never hear Gumbel supporting Black community issues and yet i think he makes these controversial comments so viewers can watch the "real sports' show he hosts and produces.

Is Stern greedy and only cares about $$$ IMO? Yes. Is Stern who is both White and Jewish a racist? No way. Bryant a news flash, Stern singlehandely helped the NBA to recurit the first two Afro-American majority owners of a major sports team in North America. Robert Johnson (founder of BET television in case you don't know) and later Micheal Johnson (yes old number # (2)(3))of the Bobcats team.

Gumbel was way off base in his recent comments on bringing race into a dispute in which money is the only issue. So next time Bryant calls Glen Beck or Rush 'racist' just think how stupid he sounded in this video clip i played above.:tdown:

You mean Michael Jordan, right?

I'd just like to add that I've been an NBA,MLB, and NFL fan for over 50 years but I find myself losing interest in the individual games as such. I think that the big money combination of the leagues and the TV networks has spoiled the enjoyment for many fans. I can remember when NBA PLAYOFF games were shown on tape delay because the network, CBS IIRC, didn't want to lose their prime time ratings for a weekday night. There weren't big time cable and satellite networks throwing around astronomical amounts of money bidding on the broadcast rights for sports events back then. I believe that it was boxing, back in the late Ali era, that started this big money trend. The leagues saw how much money was out there and the owners and players got greedy as they salivated over those dollars and it led directly to today's sports situation. There was a time when CBS, with the tacit endorsement of the NFL and Dallas, promoted the Cowboys as " America's Team", and every Sunday most of the country would see that team on CBS. As a Steeler fan I always knew the real " America's Team", but I digress. Unfortunately ,for NY fans anyway, a city with 2 football teams like us would only get to see one National conference game(Giants) so to boost CBS' ratings the league re-arranged schedules and starting times for CBS so the network wouldn't lose their biggest market, NYC. The NBA started promoting the Lakers, Celtics and Magic and Bird to boost their broadcast partners ratings. That culminated in the crowning of the Bulls, Phil Jackson, and especially MJ, as their gift to television network partners. On the TV side of MLB look no further than the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox, as the preferred partners. Unfortunately, while the owners, leagues, and teams drooled over this money and the ratings the players wised up and demanded a piece of the pie, too. Now we have greedy owners and players fighting over the profits and real fans suffer. I have no horse in this race because I think that the money involved has screwed up the perspective of all involved to the detriment of the true sports fan. Ticket prices are exorbitant for all while the quality of the product on the court or field isn't worth it most of the time. I happen to love basketball, NBA, college, street/playground, but I think money and TV have screwed professional ball up. I'd also point out to the purists out here that college sports aren't any better these days. Teams jumping from conference to conference, players doing the "one and done" thing, coaches and players screwing up teams and moving on, all for the lure of big bucks. It's amazing that now that I'm retired and have all this free time to watch sports I can't find many teams to root for. I'm a realist about business but I think the players and owners have to come back to the real world and put things into perspective. When a sports fan like me starts to lose interest it's time to get it together and put your houses in order because ultimately it's me, the fan, who is the source of your money. Just my rant. Carry on.

Brilliant comments Sir(Trainmaster). :tup: While pro sports has and will always be about $$$, the commericalism of it from these nasty CBA to sponorship of every snap, basket or pitch has ruined sports IMO.

Not to mention the biggest concern by this NBA labor dispute and the recent NFL work stoppage is how the player and owners/management have forgoten about the little people aka the average fan who helped them get rich in the first place.

I'd just like to add that I've been an NBA,MLB, and NFL fan for over 50 years but I find myself losing interest in the individual games as such. I think that the big money combination of the leagues and the TV networks has spoiled the enjoyment for many fans. I can remember when NBA PLAYOFF games were shown on tape delay because the network, CBS IIRC, didn't want to lose their prime time ratings for a weekday night. There weren't big time cable and satellite networks throwing around astronomical amounts of money bidding on the broadcast rights for sports events back then. I believe that it was boxing, back in the late Ali era, that started this big money trend. The leagues saw how much money was out there and the owners and players got greedy as they salivated over those dollars and it led directly to today's sports situation. There was a time when CBS, with the tacit endorsement of the NFL and Dallas, promoted the Cowboys as " America's Team", and every Sunday most of the country would see that team on CBS. As a Steeler fan I always knew the real " America's Team", but I digress. Unfortunately ,for NY fans anyway, a city with 2 football teams like us would only get to see one National conference game(Giants) so to boost CBS' ratings the league re-arranged schedules and starting times for CBS so the network wouldn't lose their biggest market, NYC. The NBA started promoting the Lakers, Celtics and Magic and Bird to boost their broadcast partners ratings. That culminated in the crowning of the Bulls, Phil Jackson, and especially MJ, as their gift to television network partners. On the TV side of MLB look no further than the Yankees, Dodgers, and Red Sox, as the preferred partners. Unfortunately, while the owners, leagues, and teams drooled over this money and the ratings the players wised up and demanded a piece of the pie, too. Now we have greedy owners and players fighting over the profits and real fans suffer. I have no horse in this race because I think that the money involved has screwed up the perspective of all involved to the detriment of the true sports fan. Ticket prices are exorbitant for all while the quality of the product on the court or field isn't worth it most of the time. I happen to love basketball, NBA, college, street/playground, but I think money and TV have screwed professional ball up. I'd also point out to the purists out here that college sports aren't any better these days. Teams jumping from conference to conference, players doing the "one and done" thing, coaches and players screwing up teams and moving on, all for the lure of big bucks. It's amazing that now that I'm retired and have all this free time to watch sports I can't find many teams to root for. I'm a realist about business but I think the players and owners have to come back to the real world and put things into perspective. When a sports fan like me starts to lose interest it's time to get it together and put your houses in order because ultimately it's me, the fan, who is the source of your money. Just my rant. Carry on.

• 4 weeks later...

Archived