NBA 2011-'12 and off season discussion Thread

553 Bridgeton

The trade that was hours from happening.....

Stern kills Lakers' deal for Paul - NBA - Yahoo! Sports

If we going to have 'super teams' on just 8-10 elite teams i.e Lakers, Knicks, Heat, Bulls and Celtics being the main ones, the NBA should as Concourse suggested 'contract' by as many as 4 teams. It's unfair to smaller city/revune clubs such as Charlotee, Memphis and New Orleans for instance.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If we going to have 'super teams' on just 8-10 elite teams i.e Lakers, Knicks, Heat, Bulls and Celtics being the main ones, the NBA should as Concourse suggested 'contract' by as many as 4 teams. It's unfair to smaller city/revune clubs such as Charlotee, Memphis and New Orleans for instance.

You also forgot that the Hornets are owned by the NBA. My guess is that Stern is preventing Paul from leaving New Orleans, just to keep the Hornets' attendance high.

People are forgetting the lakers had gave up Gasol & Odom which are all stars. The lakers weren't going to be better from this trade. Stern screwed up with this one. The lakers/hornets/rockets are trying to salvage the trade and something may happen in a few hrs. Hornets don't want to have a saga like what happened with melo.

I agree, now whether he really wants to go to the Nets is another issue. Good luck to him as Williams sure as hell doesn't seem like he'd want to stay there past this season.

Good point about the Lakers' situation. I think cotb16's point about NO needing a franchise player to keep the attendence high makes sense now. If Paul goes, then there's no reason for the Hornets to stay there or exist.

Dwight Howard is currently talkin to the Lakers, Nets, and Mavs. And also the Chris Paul trade looks like it "may happen" now.

[Edit]

The Hornets resubmitted the trade to the league and it's pending approval. Man I can't believe the Lakers front office are giving up the size that won them 2 championships in a row. Chris Paul ain't no Deron Williams, or no Derrick Rose. And he is very injury prone. I must say I lost all respect for the Lakers front office.

Chris Paul trade dead again; the Lakers give up Lamar Odom for a TRADE EXCEPTION and a DRAFT PICK. I lost total respect for the Lakers front office, and Kobe ain't happy bout it either. Their front office just put themselves in a situation where if they don't get Howard orb

Paul you it would be nothing more then a fail. Now if they go for Howard all you have to offer is Bynum and a trade exception or Bynum and Gasol. You basically lost all height for one player. Just sad. I feel for Kobe, cause it don't look good out in tinseltown. If you ask me I woulda gave up Ron Artest(wth is this guy thinking name himself Metta World Peace)?

Khloe&Lamar take Dallas lol

Not to get off topic but i always thought Khloe was the best looking and most classy of that famous family. Again the K sisters are cute but some of the other sisters are Kim are stuck up and rude.:):eek:

Back to NBA with Lamar now in Dallas, I wonder if Cuban's players are now eigible for AARP like the Celtics lol.:eek:

A bit late to this thread:

I've wondered if the NFL secretly pressured the NBA to get a deal done in time for there to be games on Christmas Day.

I would not be surprised if behind the scenes, the NFL was beginning to feel pressure from groups concerned about people for whom the NBA normally is the only thing they have on Christmas and concerned that with no sports until Sunday Night Football that night some of them might be driven to going "off the edge" to possibly move two games from Christmas Eve to Christmas Day to prevent such from happening (most likely games that would have been moved to Christmas Day in that scenario would have been Broncos-Bills and Giants-Jets) to replace the NBA Tripleheader. I could see where that would have prompted the NFL to tell the NBA to get a deal done so the NFL wouldn't have to cover the NBA's butt on Christmas and not only anger their players, but also a lot of people for whom having NFL games during the day on Christmas would severely disrupt that day's activities.

A bit late to this thread:

I've wondered if the NFL secretly pressured the NBA to get a deal done in time for there to be games on Christmas Day.

I would not be surprised if behind the scenes, the NFL was beginning to feel pressure from groups concerned about people for whom the NBA normally is the only thing they have on Christmas and concerned that with no sports until Sunday Night Football that night some of them might be driven to going "off the edge" to possibly move two games from Christmas Eve to Christmas Day to prevent such from happening (most likely games that would have been moved to Christmas Day in that scenario would have been Broncos-Bills and Giants-Jets) to replace the NBA Tripleheader. I could see where that would have prompted the NFL to tell the NBA to get a deal done so the NFL wouldn't have to cover the NBA's butt on Christmas and not only anger their players, but also a lot of people for whom having NFL games during the day on Christmas would severely disrupt that day's activities.

I know alot of players playing on Christmas Day/night cry and moan on playing on that holy day. It's mostly an issue with NBA players since the NFL only has to deal with schduling games every few years.

Again not trying to sound like an old man but this now annual tradition of NBA playing on Christmas started in the late 1970's when either the Knicks or Suns would rotate and host it. It was usually for many years until ESPN/ABC got the NBA TV contract be say the Knicks-Celtics at a 12 noon tip off. Even if the visiting team came to NY whether it was the Celtics, 76ers or for the Suns the Lakers, Spurs or Warriors the players could still fly home and be home by 8pm to spend the rest of the holiday with loved ones/friends.

Again the NBA should have only division games on a day like Christmas. IMO it's not fair for members of the Chicago Bulls to fly across the country to play the Lakers on Christmas Night. Yes they being paid alot of money but why can't the Lakers play the Suns on Christmas Night.

And the rematch of the 2011 NBA Finals could be an "ABC NBA Game of the Week" in January between the Mavs and Heat. It does not have to be Christmas Night. Also the NFL smartly has the Packers playing the Bears on Christmas Night with the NBC Sunday Night game. The Bears can spend much of the holiday at home and then hop say a short flight to Wisc. midday at 3pm for the Sunday Night game.

Yes NBA/NFL are entertainers and be prepared to work any day during their seasons as they paid millions. With that said, those leagues should only schedule short trips so that players can get home to spend Christmas earlier in the day or evening and not miss the whole day being on the road.

Celtics-Knicks was for years the traditional Christmas Day game at Noon until NBC got the NBA contract in 1990 and the Bulls became a power. After that, the Knicks didn't play a Christmas Day home game for years until 2009 as I recall. Celtics-Knicks will actually be the opening game of the NBA season on Christmas Day, moved from ESPN to TNT because of a contractual stipulation that TNT gets the first game of the NBA season I believe.

Like I said, the two games that looked like prime candidates to be moved had the NFL been pressed into moving games to Christmas Day to cover for the NBA would have been Broncos-Bills and Giants-Jets, meaning the Broncos would have been the only true road team playing in rescheduled games.

And NFL rules require visiting teams to be in the city for a home game 24 hours in advance, so the Bears have to go up Christmas Eve.

Chris Paul is going to LA after all. However it' s not to the purple and gold team though.

Los Angeles Clippers, New Orleans Hornets agree on Chris Paul trade - ESPN Los Angeles

DANG!, he wanted to go to the Knicks but the Knicks had Mike Bibby sign.

Still wondering what is gonna happen with Dwight Howard, staying or leaving.

I thought the Chris Paul wanting to go to NY was just a rumor?

I'm still not happy about the Knicks letting Billups go like that. That's no way to treat a vet like that and using up that amnesty clause is risky especially if Amare breaks down. Billups was like a 2nd coach who could manage both Amare and Mello. Now it's anyone's guess how those two will do by themselves.

I find it funny all of a sudden these sports outlets are already calling the Clippers contenders and they ain't even play a game yet. Once they go to the bench what do they have? Nothing. The Lakers will always be the owner of Staples. And let's see if Paul can make it through this season without a injury.

Kobe Bryant and his wife are getting a divorce... his wife said he cheated "Too much", he should have only cheated a little bit lol.

This might affect his game (His Basketball game lol) in a positive way, dude might play with more passion and anger than ever before!

He doesn't even have a prenup...

Archived