NBA 2011-'12 and off season discussion Thread

553 Bridgeton

For a while it looked the Knicks minus "Melo" could pull off the upset in Miami vs. the so called 'superteam" hitting almost 3-pointer in sight. However the Heat got serious and beat NY 99-89 friday night. Thus the calls to fire the current Knicks Coach will get louder in few days after the media attention ends on the super bowl.

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's not the coach fault. Melo is a ball stopper, meaning he holds the ball and shoot. Amare needs to be a center, that's were he causes match up problems every night. He played the 5 with the Suns. And last but not least they need a 1. Chandler needs a 1 who can throw lobs, that's where he's the most dangerous. The Knicks have a ton a issues, and if they didn't make the playoffs I would be surprised.

IMO I say fire Mike and bring in Sloan.

And as good as Philly is playing blowing out teams by an average of 20 ppg, I don't see the Knicks beating THEM.

nets season ticket holder on the check in right here (probably youngest one too) lets stop with the hoorah of the shitty knicks. The NETS on the other hand have a very easy schedule for their next 8 games with games against toronto 3 againt detroit and the knicks. Looks for the nets to be better then the knicks and know with lopez coming back it just makes them an even better team.

nets season ticket holder on the check in right here (probably youngest one too) lets stop with the hoorah of the shitty knicks. The NETS on the other hand have a very easy schedule for their next 8 games with games against toronto 3 againt detroit and the knicks. Looks for the nets to be better then the knicks and know with lopez coming back it just makes them an even better team.

well if the nets finish ahead of the knicks dolan will fire everyone except isiah and the players.

So how do you explain the 20pt blowout to Toronto?

Anyone hear how NBA Commentator/Analyst Charles Barkley has spoken out about the NBA. Here a brief few comments on the state of the NBA in 2012.

"Charles Barkley minced no words when he called the current NBA product an embarrassment on ESPN 1000's Waddle and Silvy radio show Tuesday in Chicago.

"As an NBA fan I want to apologize to the fans," Barkley said during his on-air interview transcribed by Sports Radio Interviews. "I cannot believe how bad the NBA is right now. I'm a fan first and foremost; watching the NBA right now, I'm embarrassed about the product we're putting out there right now. It's no fun for me to watch these games. I feel bad for the fans."

He also stated "There are probably 10 teams worth watching on a nightly basis," Barkley said. "They have all these built in excuses about it's the lockout. Let me tell you something: If these teams played once a week, they would still suck. You watch one of these teams, and if they rested for a week they would still suck."

Charles Barkley: 'I cannot believe how bad the NBA is'

reactions?

Charles Barkley: 'I cannot believe how bad the NBA is'

I agree 100% with him.

Think I said this in an older post before, but the NBA is no longer about playing & showcasing fundamental basketball... "it's boring, it doesn't sell tickets"..... Unless something drastically changes, that general attitude will be the eventual downfall of the entire sport.... The NBA as it is, is nothin more than organized streetball.... Think about it....

In a game of streetball, the only 2 positions that matter are the "point" & the "big man"....

Technically, there are 5 positions in the NBA (Point guard, Shooting guard, Small forward, Power forward, & Center).... Now, let's break this down:

* EVERYBODY & their god damn mammas wanna run the point in this league!

lmao @ a point forward.... where in the hell was these nzzzzz's during the Dr. J, Kareem, Magic, and Jordan days? nowhere to be found, that's where.... nor were there any need for em; not like now though... Why? because in today's game, you got dudes 6'9", 6'10 & up letting 3's fly like american airlines...

Like I said, ay'body wanna play the point... the SG's done phased out; with reggie miller long gone, ray allen is the last pure SG out there; after him, that's pretty much it.... In today's league as far as the backcourt goes, you're either a point guard, or just a "guard"... example; dwayne wade & kobe bryant are NOT shooting guards in the traditional sense.... they're not point guards either.... they're just.... guards.

* small forwards/wingmen.... lmao, aint no one comin into the league takes pride in being either of these positions b/c they don't get the ball enough.... they scoff at the idea of waiting at a spot for a pass so they can shoot (or make an inbounds pass to the center)..... this position's been completely phased out; it was the first of the 5 positions to go.....

* they're trying to currently phase out the power forward; notice how many players now that are listed as "PF/C's" (some of which are only given that position b/c of their height; when's the last time you saw durant or nowitzki pull down 10+ boards on any consistent basis)...... both of those positions are generally responsible for crashing the boards, blocking shots, and settin up inside (the paint) on offense.... of course, the latter's increasingly hard when you got a rule called a offensive 3 second violation.... This, makes it way too easy for PG's (or any guard w/ good penetrating skills) to take it to the hole.....

All you have left out here are point guards, guards (any guard that's not a point), point forwards (forwards that act as guards, at the very least... usually stars are deemed point forwards, if you notice that), and PF/centers....

Oh, and today's rendition of a role player... lmfao..... Is simply ANY joe schmo that comes off the bench !

No matter what his skill set is (or if he possesses much of any, at all).... role players today don't have specific roles - well, outside for giving one member of the starting 5 a breather.....

The NBA is a joke.......

I agree!

I only watched a handfull of games. The nba is a joke now and it's sad. If they ain't talking bout the Heat and those 3 idiots, then it's the other 2 idiots on OKC, or it's Drose this ad that. I'm sick and tired of the nba being so biased.

And this season, so many teams is bad that the nba ain't worth watching, matter of fact it hasn't been worth watching the past few years. Whatever happened to a big man taking over a game? Andrew Bynum can't even get it going because the big man is basically a thing of the past. Kevin Durant basically a 7-footer playing "guard" pisses me the hell off. Idk the nba is just crap to the point I don't even feel like going on about it anymore.

Whatever happened to a big man taking over a game? Andrew Bynum can't even get it going because the big man is basically a thing of the past.

Yup.....

Even though they're tryna merge the power forward & center positions, the un-importance of players at those positions are increasing.... They're basically relegated as a "big body".... a proverbial garbageman in a sense, like the fat kid on the playground who was only good for standing in one spot getting rebounds & putting it up on the backboard - Without taking one dribble

(didn't you hate playing against the fat kid, growin up.... I know I did... I would have to be the one that ended up guardin him too)

You even hear the play-by-play guys make a reference to centers, as such....

Olajuwon, Ewing, etc. weren't just "big bodies".... These were guys that would consistently take over a game !

Guys some great points reacting to Barkley's comments. Hate to bring it up but is there too many teams in the league? If so should the NBA contract by 2 or even up to 4 clubs.

Is this a roundabout way of implicating the talent pool isn't up to par?

To answer your question, No I don't think there are too many teams.... You cut down on the number of spots & you will watch the (remaining) players make a case for wanting even more money; there are enough currently overpaid players as it is in this league....

It isn't the amount of NBA players that's the problem... Diminishing the # of spots (the # of professional basketball players) won't change the dynamics of the game (that's already been severely marred over the past 2 decades or so)..... More stars in a league doesn't equate to a better league.... The concept of "team" (or lack thereof) is also hurting this league.... Individual talent >>>>>>> fundamentals in today's game.....

Do you really wanna watch a game of basketball on the daily, that's equivalent to watching an all-star game...

Bad enough the concept of playing team defense isn't emphasized in the NBA... I mean hell, defense is more emphasized in the college game !

And one major problem it's way too many bad teams. I know all of em cant be good but ATLEAST compete and show effort. That crap going on with the Knicks is ridiculous and embarrassing. The Washington Wizards, they need a damn Wizard, the Bobcats aint even worth talking about. The NBA 5-10yrs from now gona be total CRAP.

Shifting gears to business of NBA for minute. Looks like if Sacremento given a 1-year extension to bulid a new arena for the Kings or lose does not create one soon, as early as next the kings could be moving to Seattle.

Seattle hedge-fund manager behind effort to bring NBA back to Seattle; are Kings in play? - NBA - Sporting News

In otherwise lousy start to the shortned season, has anyone caught

Jeremy Lin 'fever" lol? Not only the feel good story of the season but maybe Mr. Lin is the 21st century of an unsigned and undrafted free agent of John Starks. Also can Lin become that 6th man/point guard NY has been looking for?

Asian-American fans praise Knicks' signing of Ivy Leaguer Jeremy Lin  - NY Daily News

"lin-sanity" is so corny... they need to stop.

on a positive note, at least he actually plays the point for the Knicks... douglas aint cuttin it....

Come to think of it, who was the last good PG the knicks had for any length of time (please don't say MARbury)

Not to throw salt on Lin, b/c he has been showin some skills out there... but let's snap back to reality... once melo & amare comes back, the amt. of touches & shot callin/runnin the show, so to speak, will drop just as quick as his stock rose..... I wanna see if he keeps this up w/ those 2 on the court w/ him as well....

Sad part is, watch the knicks eventually trade him away too....

Not even that, Friday is the last day to guarantee contracts for the rest of the season for in season pickups. So he could get released in the next 6hrs.

The Knicks would be fools to cut Lin IMO right now. I am not he becoming the NBA version of Tim Tebow lol, but just like every 10 years you find an unknow and undrafted player like John Starks that ends up having a good carrer, maybe Mr. Lin could be a new version of Starks. Or maybe not. Still Lin deserves a gurantee contract for the rest of this shortned '11-'12 season.

If the Knicks dont sign him some other NBA team will. Plus he getting national attention as well so he good box office for Mr. Dolan. We shall see.

"lin-sanity" is so corny... they need to stop.

How is it corny? He's exactly what the Knicks need to bring back some life into the organization. Especially at a time when Melo's out for a week and Stod's on temp leave.

Although I do admit, its pretty ridiculous how many bangwagoners are riding him. He's good, but he's not a CP3, Wall, or D-rose. Some people are actually comparing him up to that level, which is ridiculous.

He's very smart in his assists, but we'll see how he does when they go against the Lakers. But still, there's no need to be so pessimistic. I can picture some of you just hating on the Knicks for the sake of hating.

It is corny; to call a guy Lin-Sanity who was cut from the Warriors and got waived from the Rockets is a little much don't ya think? Some of you just don't understand when a team doesn't have a scouting report for said player, it means they don't know his tendencies or in other words what he likes to do, or in Lins case he never played enough for teams to wven put together a scouting report. You can bet all the money in your pocket they will lock him up.

This guy ain't the problem solver for the Knicks.

Let's get one thing straight here. Any Joey Bagofdoughnuts can throw a ball in the air and Tyson Chandler will catch and throw it down. Tony Douglas can learn something from him.

Archived