NBA 2011-'12 and off season discussion Thread

553 Bridgeton

• Replies 611
  • Created
  • Last Reply
How is it corny? He's exactly what the Knicks need to bring back some life into the organization. Especially at a time when Melo's out for a week and Stod's on temp leave.

Although I do admit, its pretty ridiculous how many bangwagoners are riding him. He's good, but he's not a CP3, Wall, or D-rose. Some people are actually comparing him up to that level, which is ridiculous.

He's very smart in his assists, but we'll see how he does when they go against the Lakers. But still, there's no need to be so pessimistic. I can picture some of you just hating on the Knicks for the sake of hating.

I don't do shit for the sake of doing so, that's number one...

Number two.... I don't have a reason to be optimistic about the Knicks as a franchise - and surely not because of no Jeremy Lin....

You yourself even state how so ridiculous you think how many sack riders he's gotten....

lastly, the nickname is what I said is corny, not him as a person... Vince got the name vinsanity due to his "insane" dunking ability... They're dubbing Lin, linsanity simply b/c "lin" rhymes with "vin", and this cat havin came out of nowhere with the level of play the league aint expect out of this cat.... If it's anything that's "insane", it's the frenzy that's stirred up about him... To me, that is corny....

So that answers your little question, rhetorical or not.

It is corny; to call a guy Lin-Sanity who was cut from the Warriors and got waived from the Rockets is a little much don't ya think? Some of you just don't understand when a team doesn't have a scouting report for said player, it means they don't know his tendencies or in other words what he likes to do, or in Lins case he never played enough for teams to wven put together a scouting report. You can bet all the money in your pocket they will lock him up.

This guy ain't the problem solver for the Knicks.

I'm not going to say he's a 'savior' especially since the Knicks played against some bad teams, but he's probably better than someone else at the moment. But yeah, Melo is going to push Lin back to the bench by hogging the ball.

All Lin's doing is seizing the limited opportunity to showcase the talent that he does have.... nothin that hasn't been done before in 'ball, or any other team sport for the matter.... too much is being made of the guy....

I don't do shit for the sake of doing so, that's number one...

Number two.... I don't have a reason to be optimistic about the Knicks as a franchise - and surely not because of no Jeremy Lin....

You yourself even state how so ridiculous you think how many sack riders he's gotten....

lastly, the nickname is what I said is corny, not him as a person... Vince got the name vinsanity due to his "insane" dunking ability... They're dubbing Lin, linsanity simply b/c "lin" rhymes with "vin", and this cat havin came out of nowhere with the level of play the league aint expect out of this cat.... If it's anything that's "insane", it's the frenzy that's stirred up about him... To me, that is corny....

So that answers your little question, rhetorical or not.

All Lin's doing is seizing the limited opportunity to showcase the talent that he does have.... nothin that hasn't been done before in 'ball, or any other team sport for the matter.... too much is being made of the guy....

We agree B35. As usual ESPN is now hyping this game(tonight 2/10/12 va the Lakers) like a NBA playoff game. Also ESPN is showing this game in several countries in Asia including Korea, China and Tawain.

Well it is a 'feel good story', an American born Asian doing fairly well. Of course the real test is when they play a decent team like the Lakers and when either one of the big 2 comes back.

I want him to do well, but I'm not going to concider him a savior or this Lin-sanity hype.

Not only the fact of his background of Asian descent, how many guys from Harvard make the NBA? Lin is only the 3-4th player from that IVY LEAGUE SCHOOL to make the NBA. Put that in comprasion, 8 future Presidents of the United States including the man currently holding the office, graduated from Harvard. So Lin is also trying to break a sterotype that Ivy league players don't make the NBA. I am sure ESPN in their broadcast to America (also a large overseas audience)will focus on the not do jock making the big show.:eek:

We agree B35. As usual ESPN is now hyping this game(tonight 2/10/12 va the Lakers) like a NBA playoff game. Also ESPN is showing this game in several countries in Asia including Korea, China and Tawain.

Yeh, ESPN already with the Tebow comparisons....

Honestly, I think that's insulting Lin !

Well it is a 'feel good story', an American born Asian doing fairly well. Of course the real test is when they play a decent team like the Lakers and when either one of the big 2 comes back.

I want him to do well, but I'm not going to concider him a savior or this Lin-sanity hype.

Although I'm not waxing poetic, that's one reason why I am giving ole boy his props.... Sure you had Yao Ming, or Ming Yao, but any athlete with his height is gonna be pressed into puttin his bid in to play 'ball on some level (and get notoriety for it, no matter what he does).... dude here though is playin the point, and it's not just on the tip of "doin good, for an asian" either....

(gotta love backhanded compliments.... lol).....

as far as the laker game, he should be able to run circles around fisher (who isn't nowadays)... I wouldn't be surprised to see Kobe start D'ing him up at some point in the game....

Not only the fact of his background of Asian descent, how many guys from Harvard make the NBA? Lin is only the 3-4th player from that IVY LEAGUE SCHOOL to make the NBA. Put that in comprasion, 8 future Presidents of the United States including the man currently holding the office, graduated from Harvard. So Lin is also trying to break a sterotype that Ivy league players don't make the NBA. I am sure ESPN in their broadcast to America (also a large overseas audience)will focus on the not do jock making the big show.:eek:

Well bro, not sure if you know this, buutttt....

Ivy league graduates that go on to play professional sports are seen as failures...... It's viewed as, 'you got the best education on the collegiate level, and you wanna throw that all away to play sports all your life....' There are a couple Ivy league grads in the NFL, and not much is made of the school they graduated from.....

.....(anyway, that ideology) I never quite understood because, at least they have a marketable skill "just in case" somethin happens where they can't play anymore..... as opposed to the dumb jock that has to play until he's in his mid 40's b/c he aint got a got dam thing to fall back on.....

At some point in time Ron Artest(his mom named him Ron so I call him Ron)shooting 17% from 3 needs to stop shooting.

I don't know who told artest (is what I call him) he was this prolific 3 point shooter all of a sudden....

I mean, he would attempt a couple on occasion - just to show he had the range... now dude's just jackin em up like nobody's binness....

Yeh, ESPN already with the Tebow comparisons....

Honestly, I think that's insulting Lin !

I agree. If he wasn't Asian, I don't think they'd be making much about graduating from Harvard. ESPN over hyping players = fail.

Otoh I can't hide how happy I am seeing how much of his time he's making right now. Anything to keep the team from losing should be celebrated right now. I'll gladly take it, hype or not. I actually don't care to see Melo come back, he reminds me too much of 'Starberry' - a player first, team 2nd kinda guy.

surprised no one said anything about Billups being down for the season. I guess the Knicks dodged a bullet there.

I agree. If he wasn't Asian, I don't think they'd be making much about graduating from Harvard. ESPN over hyping players = fail.

Otoh I can't hide how happy I am seeing how much of his time he's making right now. Anything to keep the team from losing should be celebrated right now. I'll gladly take it, hype or not. I actually don't care to see Melo come back, he reminds me too much of 'Starberry' - a player first, team 2nd kinda guy.

surprised no one said anything about Billups being down for the season. I guess the Knicks dodged a bullet there.

Well the Lin 'breakout' game vs the Lakers last night (2/10/12)was shown on sportscenter and all of this morning sports news shows. Here that move as shown on ESPN with MSG/ESPN lead NBA announcer Mike Breen with play-play.

PS Still laughing and also puzzled at the now former Ron Attest's new legal name lol.:eek:

Jeremy Lin Knicks vs Los Angelos Lakers Spin Move through defense (Slow Motion) 2/10/2012 - YouTube

Great game for Lin and more respect for him as it shows his potential. 38 Points is outstanding.

WorldPeace always trying to start sht lol. Almost got a flagrant on Chandler. Kobe and the Lakers in general was doing horrible yesterday, but this really shows what Lin has done for the team, in terms of offense, and boosting the morale in general for the Knicks. Chandler has been showing his top game with Lin and all the players are playing better with Lin on the team.

The Knicks should have some easy wins against the upcoming games with Amare coming back on Tuesday.

So he's out for the season now.... just read up on it; I knew he had some foot injury, but I didn't know he tore his achilles.... I know enough about them; almost tore mine, and it took me a year to gain strength back in that foot enough to where I felt comfortable enough to walk on it.... my right achilles tendon is like twice the size of the left one (guess that's all scar tissue).... lol....

The one thing I'm worried about, is it eventually tearing due to some freak accident, or misstep, or something..... b/c it's always gonna be weaker than the non-injured one....

Yup, so it seems even if the Knicks kept him, they would've been short a player. I wonder if they could've used the amnesty clause on him to avoid paying the rest of the contract from that point on?

Well 5/5 now with Lin. Over rated or not, he's their lucky charm at the moment and the Knicks look decent for a change.

This NBA season is embarrassing; I mean it is some bad teams in the NBA, and it's a wonder ppl are even going to these games. I can't even tell you how many games I even watched. I went as far as canceling my NBALP subscription. I'm a big fan of the NBA and to see David Stern throw this crap out there is ridiculous. 3 games in a row, 5 games in 7 nights, injuries galore.

This NBA season is embarrassing; I mean it is some bad teams in the NBA, and it's a wonder ppl are even going to these games. I can't even tell you how many games I even watched. I went as far as canceling my NBALP subscription. I'm a big fan of the NBA and to see David Stern throw this crap out there is ridiculous. 3 games in a row, 5 games in 7 nights, injuries galore.

553 i was surprised when the work stoppage ended, that Stern created a 66-game regular season plus the all star game in Orlando. No doubt this is ESPN/ABC(Disney) and Turner playing a huge role in the schedule as the NBA (unlike the NFL)would have lost hundred of millions if the season was cancelled.

This shortned season should have been cut to around at most around 60 games and the ASG in Orlando being cancelled IMO. Again Stern and the NBA Owners being a 'whore' to TV and putting aside the quality of play for the $$$.

I woud have much rather had the allstar game canceled just so there wouldnt have had those 3 games in a row or 7 games in 9 nights. Just look and see how many players are injured now or there gas tanks running on E. An injury can mean the diff of making the playoffs. An 82 game season you have time to rest and get a player rehabbed from an injury.

K back to the Knicks...

Amazing games played with Lin. Tonight's Raptors game as well as the Timberwolves game shows the drive that Lin's giving this team, and how the Knicks can easily rally up behind deficits. Stodemire is an added asset to what he can do, and he has good chemistry with every single player on the team. He's also gaining key confidence in his plays, including the 3 pointer he took to end tonight's tie. He's still a bit sloppy with turnovers, but there's nothing that time will fix.

There's no doubt about it, Lin is a vital asset to this team, and he has my stamp of approval.

Amare played great with Lin today, and Amare is used to playing with an efficient point guard as he did with Steve Nash down in Phoenix. That coupled along with Lin's efficient court vision equals great team chemistry, which Lin provides for this team.

They need to give Lin some more rest. Have Shumpert fill out for him because Shumpert's doing a great job as well and bring out Lin in key points for less important games. It's clear that Lin is feeling fatigue with the number of free throws that he missed in tonight's game.

As for the Melo issue, Melo said in an interview that he's planning to change up his playstyle so that its a "Lin gets the ball" type game style. We all know this is bs, but hopefully they'll figure something out. Plus, we have Lin, Stod, and Melo, and they're all efficient players. It'll be tough to try to double team someone cause of all of this talent that this team has. Plus, there's Chandler for offensive plays, as well as Novak and Fields for the 3s.

LMFAO @ the raptors using Lin to sell tickets:

jeremylin-e1329192624276.png

Anyway, Toronto got away with 2 straight plays where derozan & some other raptor player blatantly walked their asses off in the latter stages of that 4th quarter... I'm glad they lost just off that alone.... Knicks actually played something called DEFENSE towards the end of the 4th qtr too !!!

it was only fitting that lin a] took & b] made that shot.....

Lmao, yeah that's pretty sad they resort to defense to save the game. More reason to let dantoni walk. I'm sick of offense only. It would be nice to have defense all the time or get 3 ppl to defend and let the big two do the offense.

Yup, we know that's the knock on D'antoni !

Out of all the hype that Lin's getting, I'm surprised that they're (media's) not mentioning Lin being a reason for the sudden improved defensive play out of the knicks...

As far as the last statement, I get what you're tryna say... But I always believed that a team's offense should be ran through a "true" PG (not the "point forward", not the star player that isn't a PG, not the PG's that's score first & pass only when he's double-teamed).... Once you have good PG play, everything else will (well, should) fall into place.... This is a huge reason why I'm not fond of the NBA much anymore....

It's not uncommon for 'Melo to get a rebound, push it up the court, and seek to attack the rim w/o even considering the rest of his teammates around him.... I mention him b/c we're talkin about the knicks, but that's not just a Carmelo problem - It's a league-wide problem....

As far as defense goes, it should be played by all 5 players on the court....

Not making excuses, but I kinda-sorta see why you may have some players be lax as all hell on D' - Especially when you have rules that make it difficult to carry out an established/sound defensive scheme/plan... rules are setup now to where if you don't have too many good man-to-man defenders on your squad, forget about it.... and w/ players being more athletic (including faster) now, it makes (wanting to) play defense... well, not as high up on the priority list.....

Growing up, I remember when whenever you'd hear about gary payton (and to an extent, scottie pippen too), you knew he done picked someone's pocket on the court.... He was a scorer, but he was notorious for those steals..... You wanted to know how many steals he got in a game, before knowing how many points he got..... Who's that player in today's league?

As far as blocks, Mutombo had that on lock - finger wag & all, whenever you tried to test him & he was successful in denying you (which they later started fining him for doing... smh).... Although Dwight Howard's more known for his emphatic dunks, he's the only person you really hear about now (well, guess you can include LeBron too), regarding blocked shots.....

....Which is why they swelled up Greg Oden's head before he came to the league.... Which is why they're swelling up this kid from Kentucky; Anthony Davis.... He reminds me of that stick figure Tayshaun Prince

(who lebron bit off with the seeking to attempt to block someone from behind).... If I knew that was someone's game plan, I would stop dead in my tracks & "bridge" them every time.... LOL !

The bad news for Mr. Lin. He only scored 10 points. Good news Jermey had 13 assts. as the Knicks blow out the Sac-Town Kings(who are rumored to be moving to Seattle following the season)100-85.

Score was not as close as the final indicted as the Kings got closer when Coach Dantoni rested his starters in 4th period.

NY Knicks' Jeremy Lin gets career-high 13 assists, scores just 10 points but leads team to 100-85 victory over Sacramento Kings at Garden - NY Daily News

Archived