L fubar

6 Lexington Ave

Guest lance25

Didn't they just remove the last of the old signals off of Canarsie last weekend? I'm seriously hoping this is just a fluke occurrence because if this is what's gonna happen every time the CBTC signals malfunction, we really need to rethink this whole new signalling thing.

Didn't they just remove the last of the old signals off of Canarsie last weekend? I'm seriously hoping this is just a fluke occurrence because if this is what's gonna happen every time the CBTC signals malfunction, we really need to rethink this whole new signalling thing.

So, there aren't any wayside signals left at all?

MTA Service Notice

Posted: 11/28/2011 5:58PM

Due to ongoing software related signal problems affecting the Canarsie Line, (L) train customers should expect longer waits and more crowded trains for this evening’s rush period. Fewer trains than normal have been available as we work to correct the problem. Normal service is expected for tomorrow’s morning rush

The only wayside signals that are still there are those between Broadway Junction and Canarsie since the yard at Canarsie has the only wash in the Eastern Div. Oh and every time CBTC goes down, there will be massive delays since absolute blocks will be in effect from Broadway Junction to Myrtle Av. to Bedford Av. to 8th Av.

The only wayside signals that are still there are those between Broadway Junction and Canarsie since the yard at Canarsie has the only wash in the Eastern Div. Oh and every time CBTC goes down, there will be massive delays since absolute blocks will be in effect from Broadway Junction to Myrtle Av. to Bedford Av. to 8th Av.

My God, what kind of crap is that? This is not a good look at all for this CBTC stuff.

Guest lance25

I agree. What the hell man? I thought CBTC was supposed to make things more flexible on Canarsie, not less. It just seems like a step backwards, no?

wow smh, & at that the booth staff werent even notifying ppl that there was delay .. i lost one of my student metro swipe i had to make the 6 to the 44 instead

9 times out of 10, the agents in the booth are not told what is happening so take that blame game else where.

The whole thing with CBTC and NTTs is that when everything works as designed, they both are great. Once the sh*t hits the fan though, what makes then great also makes them worthless.

9 times out of 10, the agents in the booth are not told what is happening so take that blame game else where.

The whole thing with CBTC and NTTs is that when everything works as designed, they both are great. Once the sh*t hits the fan though, what makes then great also makes them worthless.

i hear that , not one usual to complain i was just talking out of rush hour frustration

So that means no more Bway Jct-8 Av weekend closures?

The close-out date for the entire CBTC job on the (L) is set for April, with the extra service to start in June.

I'm waiting for the techno-foamers responses to this disruption of CBTC service on the (L) line. They were all clamoring for it's full implementation on the Canarsie line and the upcoming roll out on the (7) line. The (MTA) will call it a software glitch and hope it's completely forgotten in a few days. Then, when it happens again on the Canarsie or Flushing line we'll have the proverbial investigation, recrimination, blame game BS while whole subway lines are rendered virtually useless. Remember the original plan was to install CBTC on the Queens Boulevard corridor. Imagine the chaos a glitch would do there. Some people wanted the subway system to ditch last century's operating principles for this "advanced" tech. Well we've got the new tech. It's too bad we didn't keep that obsolete system as a back up. IT WORKED. Just my opinion. Carry on.

I'm waiting for the techno-foamers responses to this disruption of CBTC service on the (L) line. They were all clamoring for it's full implementation on the Canarsie line and the upcoming roll out on the (7) line. The (MTA) will call it a software glitch and hope it's completely forgotten in a few days. Then, when it happens again on the Canarsie or Flushing line we'll have the proverbial investigation, recrimination, blame game BS while whole subway lines are rendered virtually useless. Remember the original plan was to install CBTC on the Queens Boulevard corridor. Imagine the chaos a glitch would do there. Some people wanted the subway system to ditch last century's operating principles for this "advanced" tech. Well we've got the new tech. It's too bad we didn't keep that obsolete system as a back up. IT WORKED. Just my opinion. Carry on.

If they got any sense they would be quiet LOL...

You install something updated and you dont make sure everything is updated???

Let alone yer back up system makes things even worse???

Guest lance25
serriously i dont need this on the L

the newer trains the mta buy the more problems

the more money they invest in signals the more problems

im gonna be late everyday, lol i hate to wake up a 6:00

but r.t bring some r32 on the l we will be on th avenue within 25 minutes

forget all this cbtc stuff....

Sure, let's put the oldest and most unreliable cars in the fleet onto one of the most demanding lines in NYC. That will go over quite swimmingly. [/sarcasm]

Older does not always mean better. Now I don't particularly agree with the removal of the old signals as there should be some type of backup in place when things malfunction, but we can't write off the entire system because of one-time incidents. Remember, the idea is to add more trains to these lines and that can't happen with the old signals. However, if things like this keep happening, then we (Transit that is) need to look into why it keeps happening. After all, various transit systems worldwide use CBTC on their routes and trains and I'm sure they don't get this type of crap outs on a regular basis.

Archived