Survey says most SI borough residents are on board for subway to Brooklyn

IntExp

SIR is open cut, similar to the sections of the Brighton and W&B section of the Dyre line, and thus is prone to the same problems other open cut areas are prone to. That being said, we are coming close to the end of leaf season again as the leaves decompose this month.

I have friends that use it and there are delays and problems. Furthermore, the SIR doesn't all run on elevated lines so I don't know where you got that from. It does however run by areas with lots of trees, and those leaves get get slick on the rails hence the problem.

I'm just saying that you're trying to paint trains out to be the greatest thing ever. They too can be delayed and problematic.

Buses have delays and problems too. Buses can get caught in traffic on the expressway or even on the local streets.

Yes, I know trains have their problems, but the point is that it would definitely be helpful to have another option. If there is some big delay on the Gowanus, you have the SIR (or bus-SIR) as a backup.

Of course, if you have leaves on the tracks and a delay on the Gowanus, you're screwed, but then again, you're no worse off than you are now (in fact, you're still better off because at least you have the option of going to St. George and then taking the subway from there)

A multimodal system is good. The more modes you have, the better. Right now, we're dependant on roads (buses) and water (ferry). Adding rail to the mix (as a connection to the rest of the city) would definitely be helpful as a backup.

And the point is those lines are all outdoors and can be affected by the leaves.

SIR is open cut, similar to the sections of the Brighton and W&B section of the Dyre line, and thus is prone to the same problems other open cut areas are prone to. That being said, we are coming close to the end of leaf season again as the leaves decompose this month.

So are elevated lines prone to leaves collecting or just the open-cut lines?

So are elevated lines prone to leaves collecting or just the open-cut lines?

Elevated lines, not at all, there are no trees overhanging the el's and even so the winds created by passage of trains would take care of it. While the Sea Beach, Brighton and Dyre (not to mention Franklin shuttle) have their issues, the West End, Culver and White Plains do not. Even though there are major tree stuff overhanging the approach to 9Av (D), because of the presence of timers and a switch following them, trains usually do not have a problem stopping there, as they're only going just over 10mph anyway.

I believe the threshold is tropical storm force sustained winds (39+) which basically does not happen for an extended period of time unless there is a tropical system up here. There isn't any type of rail that susceptible to nothing at all...

Tunnels - Flooding from water main brakes and massive downpours that overwhelm the system pumps

Open cuts - Leaves in the fall making traction difficult in rain (the leaves themselves arent the problem, its leaves+water) and massive snowstorms with many places having nowhere to put the snow but just to throw it from track to track. The snow itself doesn't stop the train, the snowpack builds up and covers the third rail, making trains stall.

El - Human error from below (trucks running into the structure) as well as wind issues (sustained winds 40+).

Buses have delays and problems too. Buses can get caught in traffic on the expressway or even on the local streets.

Yes, I know trains have their problems, but the point is that it would definitely be helpful to have another option. If there is some big delay on the Gowanus, you have the SIR (or bus-SIR) as a backup.

Of course, if you have leaves on the tracks and a delay on the Gowanus, you're screwed, but then again, you're no worse off than you are now (in fact, you're still better off because at least you have the option of going to St. George and then taking the subway from there)

A multimodal system is good. The more modes you have, the better. Right now, we're dependant on roads (buses) and water (ferry). Adding rail to the mix (as a connection to the rest of the city) would definitely be helpful as a backup.

And the point is those lines are all outdoors and can be affected by the leaves.

Again stating the obvious... I just want you to stop painting trains as the greatest invention ever. The point is that nothing is perfect. Second, this railway would only serve some on the island, so I'm not too wild about it yet again for that reason, and I also don't believe that it would save that much time unless it was set up in a way where you could cut down on or have seamless connections.

Again stating the obvious... I just want you to stop painting trains as the greatest invention ever. The point is that nothing is perfect. Second, this railway would only serve some on the island, so I'm not too wild about it yet again for that reason, and I also don't believe that it would save that much time unless it was set up in a way where you could cut down on or have seamless connections.

I never said trains don't have their problems. I never said it would solve all of SI's commuting issues, but it would go a long way towards fixing them.

And like I said, this does cut down on connections. For bus-ferry-subway riders, it cuts it down from 2 connections to 1 and for SIR-ferry-subway riders, it cuts it down from 2 connections to 0, not to mention that the connection is at a better frequency than the ferry. If you don't want to make those connections, as I've said before, there would still be express buses.

I never said trains don't have their problems. I never said it would solve all of SI's commuting issues, but it would go a long way towards fixing them.

And like I said, this does cut down on connections. For bus-ferry-subway riders, it cuts it down from 2 connections to 1 and for SIR-ferry-subway riders, it cuts it down from 2 connections to 0, not to mention that the connection is at a better frequency than the ferry. If you don't want to make those connections, as I've said before, there would still be express buses.

[using Shortline's voice]: Young man, aren't you supposed to be in class?? :P

Must've been late with that unreliable S46 bus yet again. :P

[using Shortline's voice]: Young man, aren't you supposed to be in class?? :P

Must've been late with that unreliable S46 bus yet again. :P

Nah. I had my lunch break around that time and went to the school library (that's why on schooldays, you see me posting in the afternoons, but also around 10:30-11:00).

Actually, my trip to school went better than I thought it would. I thought the buses would be messed up because of the fog, but the S44 arrived right when it was supposed to (and emptier than usual for some reason) and I got to school right on time. :tup:

I was thinking of transferring to the S96, but I figured I wouldn't push my luck. Aside from the fact it might not show up on time, that particular run is always crushloaded because of the stupid schedule revision that had the bus serving the Teleport and messing up the spacing. :(

Nah. I had my lunch break around that time and went to the school library (that's why on schooldays, you see me posting in the afternoons, but also around 10:30-11:00).

Actually, my trip to school went better than I thought it would. I thought the buses would be messed up because of the fog, but the S44 arrived right when it was supposed to (and emptier than usual for some reason) and I got to school right on time. :tup:

I was thinking of transferring to the S96, but I figured I wouldn't push my luck. Aside from the fact it might not show up on time, that particular run is always crushloaded because of the stupid schedule revision that had the bus serving the Teleport and messing up the spacing. :P

Yeah, I took the X14 this morning. Needed some time to put my "face" on. LOL Nah, I just didn't feel like running to Forest to catch the X30, plus there was a 30 min. backup at the Lincoln so I said screw it. Besides, my showers are like the shortest in history. 10 min showers. Can't beat that. Then again I shower at night too, hence the quick showers. X14 wasn't crowded either and your bus probably wasn't crowded because of the fog. Either folks left early or took off. :cool:

Yeah, I took the X14 this morning. Needed some time to put my "face" on. LOL Nah, I just didn't feel like running to Forest to catch the X30, plus there was a 30 min. backup at the Lincoln so I said screw it. Besides, my showers are like the shortest in history. 10 min showers. Can't beat that. Then again I shower at night too, hence the quick showers. X14 wasn't crowded either and your bus probably wasn't crowded because of the fog. Either folks left early or took off. :cool:

It was going to school, not coming back. I guess some students saw the fog and had their parents drive them (traffic did seem a bit heavier along Richmond Avenue, though it could've just been the fog itself). Either that, or they caught an earlier bus because they thought they would be delayed because of the fog.

Either way, I'm happy. I was working on a project until the wee hours, so having a seat for 10 minutes felt pretty good. :tup::cool: Let's hope it's like this tomorrow. So far, I'm 15 hours behind on sleep and don't need any additional stress traveling.

Archived