Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
+Young+

Bus bunching solutions??

Hi all~

I'm currently going for my masters degree in Transportation Planning and Engineering. For one of my classes, I was given an assignment in which I have to write about how to solve the 'bus bunching' problem.

I already read some on-line articles about this, however, any comments, suggestions, opinions, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks! Happy Holidays!

I'm sorry to break the bad news.......but it will never happen....first off what is good at 12:50 will not be the same as 1:20...besides accidents, crimes on the street.....police investigations....you have rookies that drive slow....bus shortages....broken street lights......buses breakdown.....long lines of people waiting for the bus.....one is late the other is catching up......than you have drivers that don't help each other out.....shoot I could go on and on......:(

Hi all~

I'm currently going for my masters degree in Transportation Planning and Engineering. For one of my classes, I was given an assignment in which I have to write about how to solve the 'bus bunching' problem.

I already read some on-line articles about this, however, any comments, suggestions, opinions, etc. would be appreciated.

Thanks! Happy Holidays!

i got the solution...they need to redesign the whole bus lane idea.

#1. They need to switch the bus lanes with the parking spaces parallel to the sidewalk. this would create a physical barrier for the lane and discourage violators.

#2. the lanes need to be widened. this way if a bus happens to break down, other buses can pass it.

#3. have a special light for the bus lane that turns green to let buses pass for 10-15 seconds before the regular traffic. this way you won't have buses trapped at the mercy of the motorist making right hand turns.

#4. increase the bus lane ticket to $300 to further discourage violators...

these are just a couple things i was actually speaking to a S/I about. but we both agreed that this would never happen because of the cost to do this around the whole city. plus the fact the old saying "If an idea makes sense, transit doesn't do it".

It all comes down to how well the dispatching is done.

1) If there is traffic, and a bus is already running late, have it take an alternate route, if possible. Let the followers pick up the slack on the bypassed section. It'll allow the late bus to pick up crowds waiting further down and will also help the people already on the bus (not going to the bypassed section) get to their destination on time.

2) When you see crowds piling up, don't send a bunch of buses out of service bypassing everybody. When a bus finally does arrive, it'll have to pick up the passengers that piled up, which will start the bunching process.

3) If you know there's traffic in a certain spot, try to schedule a certain number of short-turns on both sides of the traffic jam. This only works if the route is frequent enough to warrant these short-turns.

Say a hypothetical route travels between points A and D. Between points A and B and points C and D, traffic is fairly predictable, but between points B and C, there is a lot of traffic. Have some short-turns serve those sections without traffic, and only a limited number of buses go between A and D. This can be done as part of the regular schedule, or only on days when there's traffic.

4) I don't know how to phrase this example, but for instance yesterday, I saw 3 S53s bunched up by Clove Road/Howard Avenue. The first bus was full, and the second and third bus had a handful of people. They should've combined the second and third bus onto one bus, and had one of them go nonstop to a certain point (say, Broadway/Bard Avenue) so that further crowds don't build up. Also, it helps buses from being delayed in the opposite direction.

If there was a limited-stop S53 (which there should be), they should've combined those last two buses together, and had the first bus (which was already late) make limited stops for the rest of the route. Anybody needing local stops would have to transfer to the bus behind it.

5) Where possible, try to put up bus lanes (and enforce them) and give the buses traffic signal priority (both of those work better the heavier the route is). A problem is that some drivers slow down at yellow lights and others speed up, which results in them being unevenly spaiced. If all the lights are green, you reduce that problem.

Keep the bus drivers on the same route not have them working the first half on one route and the second half on another route.

Allocating additional time for boarding of elderly and disabled passengers on routes where there is a high number of boardings.

Placing cameras to face out of the bus to record persons that park in bus stops and double parkers that interfere with the bus.:(

Hi all~

The easiest way to get rid of bus bunching is to eliminate all bus service everywhere. Of course, that's a non-starter because it it would deprive the professional complainers of their livelihood.

2 points: realistic schedules and extra hold time at major stops where through travel is minor compared to turnover (Q25 at Flushing is a good example)

It all comes down to how well the dispatching is done.

1) If there is traffic, and a bus is already running late, have it take an alternate route, if possible. Let the followers pick up the slack on the bypassed section. It'll allow the late bus to pick up crowds waiting further down and will also help the people already on the bus (not going to the bypassed section) get to their destination on time.

2) When you see crowds piling up, don't send a bunch of buses out of service bypassing everybody. When a bus finally does arrive, it'll have to pick up the passengers that piled up, which will start the bunching process.

3) If you know there's traffic in a certain spot, try to schedule a certain number of short-turns on both sides of the traffic jam. This only works if the route is frequent enough to warrant these short-turns.

Say a hypothetical route travels between points A and D. Between points A and B and points C and D, traffic is fairly predictable, but between points B and C, there is a lot of traffic. Have some short-turns serve those sections without traffic, and only a limited number of buses go between A and D. This can be done as part of the regular schedule, or only on days when there's traffic.

4) I don't know how to phrase this example, but for instance yesterday, I saw 3 S53s bunched up by Clove Road/Howard Avenue. The first bus was full, and the second and third bus had a handful of people. They should've combined the second and third bus onto one bus, and had one of them go nonstop to a certain point (say, Broadway/Bard Avenue) so that further crowds don't build up. Also, it helps buses from being delayed in the opposite direction.

If there was a limited-stop S53 (which there should be), they should've combined those last two buses together, and had the first bus (which was already late) make limited stops for the rest of the route. Anybody needing local stops would have to transfer to the bus behind it.

5) Where possible, try to put up bus lanes (and enforce them) and give the buses traffic signal priority (both of those work better the heavier the route is). A problem is that some drivers slow down at yellow lights and others speed up, which results in them being unevenly spaiced. If all the lights are green, you reduce that problem.

This sounds like a dream you had after counting sheep for 2hrs......Oooo and you were up for 48 hrs straight.......wait let's say you drank a 24 pack and had a boiler maker or two......:eek::(

Keep the bus drivers on the same route not have them working the first half on one route and the second half on another route.

You're saying that a trip on the M4 becomes less reliable if the driver's second half is on the M5? How so? Last I checked, bus drivers were professionals who still remembered how to drive even when they changed routes during the day.

Allocating additional time for boarding of elderly and disabled passengers on routes where there is a high number of boardings.

That's already captured when traffic checkers record running times.

I'm sorry to break the bad news.......but it will never happen....first off what is good at 12:50 will not be the same as 1:20...besides accidents, crimes on the street.....police investigations....you have rookies that drive slow....bus shortages....broken street lights......buses breakdown.....long lines of people waiting for the bus.....one is late the other is catching up......than you have drivers that don't help each other out.....shoot I could go on and on......:(

I have to agree with this post 100%. There will NEVER be a world without bus bunching. Some lines may run better than others, and BRT may eliminate this in some places. But there are too many variables involved, just as CPBO listed. Some people also don't know, or seem to forget time and time again that many bus runs all over the country have "followers" and "leaders." So when 2 buses pull up they think they are bunching, when they actually are not.

The easiest way to get rid of bus bunching is to eliminate all bus service everywhere. Of course, that's a non-starter because it it would deprive the professional complainers of their livelihood.
Err wow what were you on when you posted this? You do realize in many places Buses actually carry people who would normally drive. For example 63% of NJT bus and train users have their own cars. Many places ppl simply choose not to drive and use transit. In LI several LIB users actually have their own cars but choose not to use em everytime.

i got the solution...they need to redesign the whole bus lane idea.

#1. They need to switch the bus lanes with the parking spaces parallel to the sidewalk. this would create a physical barrier for the lane and discourage violators.

#2. the lanes need to be widened. this way if a bus happens to break down, other buses can pass it.

#3. have a special light for the bus lane that turns green to let buses pass for 10-15 seconds before the regular traffic. this way you won't have buses trapped at the mercy of the motorist making right hand turns.

#4. increase the bus lane ticket to $300 to further discourage violators...

these are just a couple things i was actually speaking to a S/I about. but we both agreed that this would never happen because of the cost to do this around the whole city. plus the fact the old saying "If an idea makes sense, transit doesn't do it".

Yes burn the fools burn em hard. $300 at off peak and $600 at peak times.