And the slowest bus in the city is? M50

JubaionBx12+SBS

The winner of 2011's Pokey Award for the city's slowest bus is the M50. The route travels across 49th and 50th streets in Manhattan at an average speed of 3.5 miles per hour. That speed was clocked by the Straphangers Campaign which does this annually to determine the winner of this award which has gone to a Manhattan crosstown route for every year of it's existence. One can push a lawn mower across town faster than the M50 will take to get from the Far East to West side or vice versa. Other slow routes include the M42, M34, M23 and M8 each clocking in at under 5 mph. Manhattan buses were also recognized for another defaming award known as the Schleppie. This one goes to the M101/102/103 for registering the most delays over the course of the year. More than a quarter of buses arrived bunched or with significant gaps along Lex/3rd Avs making bus travel hectic along the East Side.

NYPIRG Straphangers' Campaign Pokey and Schleppie Awards

Comments please...

I don't really see the point in these "awards" every year. I mean, it's always a rotation of the same routes. The slowest routes are always the Manhattan crosstowns, and the most unreliable routes are the longest ones.

For instance, both this year and last year, the slowest route on SI was the S48, and the most unreliable route was the S78. The S44 and S74 are also up there as far as unreliability goes. And I know the Bx19 is always one of the slowest Bronx routes.

The M101/M102/M103 was found most unreliable... than the B44... then the S78... then the Bx41.

/Irony of Bx41 becoming more unreliable after being shortened.

Anyway, I don't disagree with the listing of the B44. The local can be pretty erratic sometimes and the Limited has to pick up the slack. And I guess the other way around, too. Just waiting at the Junction for a Northbound bus during the evening can be a gamble compared to the (2)...

The M101, I can really see why it was chosen. There are times where I've had to wait 15-20 minutes just for a single bus after school. Throw in the M100 too while we're at it.

The (MTA) wants to put SBS on the B44 and possibly the Bx41... and possibly the M101, depending of what you define as "125th St Crosstown Corridor"... and the S79, we'll loop that in with the S78. Coincidence? I dunno.

Still, the Crosstown buses are always going to win in terms of speed, so what's the point? They're pretty slow, there's not too much that can be done to help them.

The winner of 2011's Pokey Award for the city's slowest bus is the M50. The route travels across 49th and 50th streets in Manhattan at an average speed of 3.5 miles per hour. That speed was clocked by the Straphangers Campaign which does this annually to determine the winner of this award which has gone to a Manhattan crosstown route for every year of it's existence. One can push a lawn mower across town faster than the M50 will take to get from the Far East to West side or vice versa. Other slow routes include the M42, M34, M23 and M8 each clocking in at under 5 mph. Manhattan buses were also recognized for another defaming award known as the Schleppie. This one goes to the M101/102/103 for registering the most delays over the course of the year. More than a quarter of buses arrived bunched or with significant gaps along Lex/3rd Avs making bus travel hectic along the East Side.

NYPIRG Straphangers' Campaign Pokey and Schleppie Awards

Comments please...

Yeah this is simply people making fun of manhattan buses another reason why I do NOT use them. Seriously M101/102/103 are for people looking to take a rest while moving. I saw 20 people leave a bus stop and start walking they are that unreliable. I refuse to use unreliable transit modes. Shocking how an express bus can speed up from 27th street to upper 90s in just 20 mins I know I am not lying I timed it.

I don't really see the point in these "awards" every year. I mean, it's always a rotation of the same routes. The slowest routes are always the Manhattan crosstowns, and the most unreliable routes are the longest ones.

They got nothing better to do, thats all.

For instance, both this year and last year, the slowest route on SI was the S48, and the most unreliable route was the S78. The S44 and S74 are also up there as far as unreliability goes. And I know the Bx19 is always one of the slowest Bronx routes.

I was thinking the same thing... Always Manhattan routes and usually they seem to rotate. So how is that the bus that was the slowest last year got faster?? The M50 has been slow for years though. I used it once to go a few blocks and I could've walked to be honest. Another time I was over by 10th Avenue on a Saturday night coming from some bar and I just said screw it and walked over to the M31 and caught that back over to 5th to get the express bus.

I remember makin a post (when I used to post on RD) that said somethin to the effect of, yeah we get it, the pokey will always go to a crosstown bus.... one of the mods at the time said somethin slick in response to it.... smh....

The "awards" they give out don't mean anything... I'm willing to bet it's all mathematical w/ how they derive by assigning these things (dividing distance traveled by projected runtime).... which will always go to a crosstown route....

That, and they can't do their stupid little comparisons, like tryna walk faster than one of the routes from end to end.... Or having some doofus w/ a propellor beanie hat on tryna ride a damn tricycle tryna beat the bus from end to end....

Guest lance25
Or having some doofus w/ a propellor beanie hat on tryna ride a damn tricycle tryna beat the bus from end to end....

LOL, I'd pay good money to see some grown-ass idiot riding down the street on a trike, wearing a propeller hat. :P

Archived