Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Q101viaSteinway

QM3 question

The QM3 has a strange history. The part I know was Queens Transit had it, then another company took it over for 6 months before giving it back to DOT and Queens Transit. I have only known it to have four am trips and four pm trips max, never more. As for the stops in Jackson Heights yes there were about five different people that would get off in that area. As for why, I guess DOT needed to creatre some service, don't really know. A side note I always thought of QM3 as a cult line, the passengers had the same operators for years as the swing was a 1+1, anytime the regular B/O was missing those folks at every stop wanted to know why. Outbound the passengers were pretty helpful if you were unfamiliar with stop locations.

Why do QM3 service run the way that it runs, did it have more service and why do QM3 service have them odd drop off stops in Jackson Heights and do people use them stops

It runs like crap cause most people use the LIRR. However hawk operator answered most of your questions though.

The 72nd & 82nd st stops get some usage... the other stops along northern blvd (east) I've never seen no one get off at....

Instead of adding stops along northern blvd (east), they should look into diverting buses off northern blvd for a brief stint (maybe along crocheron, francis lewis... around that general area... don't have a bus map in front of me, but I know that area is very residential)... where it'd better serve residents, instead of folks having to trek on over to northern blvd... that's one reason why the QM3 route hardly picks up....

Furthermore, the turn onto LNP is pointless, even if there's no Q79 service.... folks are makin their way to the QM5/6; whichever one it is that ends @ Glen Oaks/260th.... Ever since they broke up the QM1/a, I still haven't gotten used to the configuration yet.... Anyway, the QM3 has but so many runs... The QM5/6 has a hell of a lot more service than the 3....

The 72nd & 82nd st stops get some usage... the other stops along northern blvd (east) I've never seen no one get off at....

Instead of adding stops along northern blvd (east), they should look into diverting buses off northern blvd for a brief stint (maybe along crocheron, francis lewis... around that general area... don't have a bus map in front of me, but I know that area is very residential)... where it'd better serve residents, instead of folks having to trek on over to northern blvd... that's one reason why the QM3 route hardly picks up....

Furthermore, the turn onto LNP is pointless, even if there's no Q79 service.... folks are makin their way to the QM5/6; whichever one it is that ends @ Glen Oaks/260th.... Ever since they broke up the QM1/a, I still haven't gotten used to the configuration yet.... Anyway, the QM3 has but so many runs... The QM5/6 has a hell of a lot more service than the 3....

The QM5 and 8 are up there at 260 St. The QM3 should make stops pick-up in the morning too. The set up is inconsistent

Negative I learned that most LIRR port washington stations along or near northern blvd are in fact wheelchair accesible with only flushing and murray hill being the only non wheelchair accessible stations on that line in queens thus rendering the QM3 completely unnesesary even for the disabled and elderly. The map shows the accessible stations on LIRR

I see 4-5 people getting on the QM3 every morning in Douglaston and Bayside. I would take the bus to try it out if it stopped at Penn Station.

I see people getting off around 149 NB and Franny lou but I see what your thinking about having it run down crocheorn but that turn from NB via the Q28 line is hairy but then it will be running N/E towards the QM20 sort of any who I think the QM3 has potential to help the long long QM5 packed swiss cheese route by going upto to 260 and union tpke and making this QM3 route a useful source for Glen oaks

I see people getting off around 149 NB and Franny lou but I see what your thinking about having it run down crocheorn but that turn from NB via the Q28 line is hairy but then it will be running N/E towards the QM20 sort of any who I think the QM3 has potential to help the long long QM5 packed swiss cheese route by going upto to 260 and union tpke and making this QM3 route a useful source for Glen oaks

Then you would have to drop northern blvd segment to keep it fast you are better off adding service to QM5 or letting QM5 run on LIE direct to 188th street or via service road. Then let QM1 and QM6 stay on union tpk keep QM1 and 5 completely different in queens.

I see 4-5 people getting on the QM3 every morning in Douglaston and Bayside. I would take the bus to try it out if it stopped at Penn Station.

now you know why no one uses QM3 that and the fact that all the LIRR stations except flushing and murray hill are accessible to the elderly and disabled rendering the QM3 completely useless. I was shocked it survived the 2010 service cuts.

In the AM this might help speed some peoples commutes up, but majority of the PM QM5/QM8's are virtually empty (under 8-10 passengers) after LN/HHE. And the closer you get to the QM5/8 terminal (south of GCP), the more likely it is that people will use the QM6 because its faster. I wonder if running the QM3 via Sanford (the x51) would be better but I'm not sure how ridership was on that route.

What's the reason for the Jackson Heights stops being E/B only?

In the AM this might help speed some peoples commutes up, but majority of the PM QM5/QM8's are virtually empty (under 8-10 passengers) after LN/HHE. And the closer you get to the QM5/8 terminal (south of GCP), the more likely it is that people will use the QM6 because its faster. I wonder if running the QM3 via Sanford (the x51) would be better but I'm not sure how ridership was on that route.

What's the reason for the Jackson Heights stops being E/B only?

Don't know but I think they should cut those stops and reroute QM5 to speed it up a bit the QM3 in my opinion is a lost cause the LIRR has rendered it useless and the fact that all but 2 stations are wheelchair accessible only puts the nail in this line's coffin. But if it can be made useful then I am all ears

* In my OP, northern blvd (west) should be in parentheses... my fault...

----

I wonder if running the QM3 via Sanford (the x51) would be better but I'm not sure how ridership was on that route.

Ridership on the x51 > QM3

(before they thinned service on the 51, that is)

Moving buses on sanford is another idea.... Like what I was sayin w/ crocheron, etc, I also see "potential" express bus usage down around sanford..... But instead of the routing the 51 took (main > elder > kissena > sanford), you could still keep the 3 on northern & have it turn on bowne, down to sanford, then back onto northern blvd.....

either way, get rid of those northern blvd (west) stops...... you aint gettin near as many folks in jackson hgts & corona willing to take an express bus....

QM5-8 should terminate at little neck pkwy L.I.E. service rd..and the QM3 should go straight up since it doesn't get crush loaded like the QM5/8 coming up .

Let the QM6 loop into 260 st. Since most QM5/8 have to loop into Fresh.Meadows

----

Moving buses on sanford is another idea.... Like what I was sayin w/ crocheron, etc, I also see "potential" express bus usage down around sanford..... But instead of the routing the 51 took (main > elder > kissena > sanford), you could still keep the 3 on northern & have it turn on bowne, down to sanford, then back onto northern blvd.....

either way, get rid of those northern blvd (west) stops...... you aint gettin near as many folks in jackson hgts & corona willing to take an express bus....

Yep, they're all on the bloody (7) train. I have to say I had to take the (7) out to visit a client in Flushing (hospital) and my PITA colleague didn't want to pay the additional for the express bus (QM4) so I had to schlepp all the way from Grand Central on the bloody (7) to the last stop in Flushing in the middle of the afternoon. Those folks are beyond savages. Pushing and shoving like they've never been on a subway before. When I go alone I take whatever I need to take and I just get reimbursed. She was concerned that she wouldn't get reimbursed for the express bus. :P Aside from that I have an unlimited card, but I still charge for having to use it since it's for my personal use. Screw that.

----

I have a better idea restore X51 but eliminate QM3 and QM18 as a cost neutral move. The savings from QM3's demise can go to restore the X51. Sadly I don't think X51 can get that ridership back even though it's faster than the (7). The (7) and LIRR would kill the X51 and QM3 cause everybody going out there is either on the LIRR or (7) sad the x51 died o well time to move on. Via 8 can you ever get on a train without calling ppl savages trust me you have NOT seen what savages can be like. I used buses all over I have seen worse and sadly smelled worse.

Yep, they're all on the bloody (7) train. I have to say I had to take the (7) out to visit a client in Flushing (hospital) and my PITA colleague didn't want to pay the additional for the express bus (QM4) so I had to schlepp all the way from Grand Central on the bloody (7) to the last stop in Flushing in the middle of the afternoon. Those folks are beyond savages. Pushing and shoving like they've never been on a subway before. When I go alone I take whatever I need to take and I just get reimbursed. She was concerned that she wouldn't get reimbursed for the express bus. :P Aside from that I have an unlimited card, but I still charge for having to use it since it's for my personal use. Screw that.[/quote

Jesus Christ what are you ,Zsazsa Gabor that you can't schlepp your pretty ass on a SUBWAY TRAIN ,Why are you so high maintenance? I'd like to inform you that.savages like me and other members take the.7 so please refrain from using the.train and take your ass in a cab next time .your client was a girl huh hmmm what you.couldn't tell us about how you tried to make a move on her but instead you want to tell us how we are savages and your a member here ,A member that's affiliated with buses and trains ....God your pathetic

• Upvote 1

Jesus Christ what are you ,Zsazsa Gabor that you can't schlepp your pretty ass on a SUBWAY TRAIN ,Why are you so high maintenance? I'd like to inform you that.savages like me and other members take the.7 so please refrain from using the.train and take your ass in a cab next time .your client was a girl huh hmmm what you.couldn't tell us about how you tried to make a move on her but instead you want to tell us how we are savages and your a member here ,A member that's affiliated with buses and trains ....God your pathetic

I was referring to the people doing the pushing and shoving. If you call that normal behavior then I'd like to see what you consider to be crazy behavior. It shouldn't offend you unless you're one of the people pushing and shoving. :P As for the client yeah it was a female, but a) she's married and :) a little too old for my taste. :eek:

That's normal 7 train behavior, actually that's normal train behavior in general. Can't think of the last time I was on a crowded train where a little bit of that didn't happen.

Knightrider: QM5/8 to LN/HHE sounds good but you might as well send the 3 down to 260/Union as opposed to the QM6 looping (that's part of the reason why the QM5 sucks now).

B35: The 1st/last main stop is Northern/Parsons and if we're canning the western stops how about re-routing it Main-Elder-Kissena-Sanford-Parsons-Northern. Add a stop around 154/Northern (that's a big gap bet. 149 and 162)

That's normal 7 train behavior, actually that's normal train behavior in general. Can't think of the last time I was on a crowded train where a little bit of that didn't happen.

I dunno about that. I've been on plenty of crowded (4) trains and people don't do that.