Postal Service Cuts To Lengthen Delivery Time

mass production

As financial problems continue to mount, the U.S. Postal Service is set to announce a series of unprecedented cuts today.

The estimated $3 billion in reductions will affect first class mail and likely eliminate the possibility of next day delivery for the first time in 40 years.

Around half of the nation's mail processing centers would close under the plan, including 13 in New York, lengthening the time it takes for mail to travel from the collection box to its destination.

The cuts are also expected to slow down the pace of service overall and could pose a problem for businesses that send check payments, prescription drugs, time sensitive magazines or even DVDs by mail.

Many New Yorkers who spoke with NY1 say the plan will definitely be an inconvenience.

"I'm still pretty old school and I still use the mail. I pay some bills online but there's still probably at least half a dozen things that I would use even on a weekly basis," said one New Yorker.

"It's awful. People are depending on getting their checks on a regular basis. It's terrible," said another.

"Stamps keep going up so it's easier for me to just do my banking and everything online," said a third.

The changes are expected to take effect next spring and come in addition to the planned closings of 3,700 local post offices.

In total, 100,000 postal employees are expected to lose their jobs.

The Postmaster General says the agency has to act because Congress has not yet granted it the authority to take other cost cutting measures, including getting rid of Saturday delivery, raising stamp prices and reducing health care and labor costs.

Postal Service Cuts To Lengthen Delivery Time - NY1.com

As financial problems continue to mount, the U.S. Postal Service is set to announce a series of unprecedented cuts today.

The estimated $3 billion in reductions will affect first class mail and likely eliminate the possibility of next day delivery for the first time in 40 years.

[/url]

Mass continues on Newsteam NYCTF the previous stories on the crisis the USPS is facing LOL.:tup:

Not that it's a great choice but as a USPS customer(My late dad worked for them for nearly 25 years)i rather them cancel regular Saturday deliveries of

1st class than this plan. This is a diaster waiting to happen.:P

Archived