Extend Q47 to Broadway Junction?

Forest Park

Q47 should arrives atlas mall and continue via 80St to Jackie Robinson Hwy and run to the end (broadway junction). Jackie Robinson is not congested most time unlike the local roads between Glendale and Jackson Heights.

will reduce time to downtown manhattan by allowing residents in Glendale arrive in A/J/L trains.

Is this a good idea?

...for the Q47, no it isn't.

The current merge that happened not too long ago w/ the route, made it as "complete" as you're gonna get... If it's to be extended anywhere in the future, it'd probably be to Myrtle av itself, and that's it....

Glendale + Broadway Junction = aint happenin....

No need for buses travelling on the JRP anyway... Leave 'em @ Atlas Park.

Q47 should arrives atlas mall and continue via 80St to Jackie Robinson Hwy and run to the end (broadway junction). Jackie Robinson is not congested most time unlike the local roads between Glendale and Jackson Heights.

will reduce time to downtown manhattan by allowing residents in Glendale arrive in A/J/L trains.

Is this a good idea?

Hell no! No bus should use the Jackie EVER!

Is this a good idea?

Here is a better idea extend via central ave to ridgewood OR if you insist try cooper ave as a way to reach broadway jct via broadway.

The issue with the "J-Rob" isn't congestion but overhead clearances. I'm not sure if a bus can get through there.

I agree with you on that. I'd also point out that any accident on the parkway, even minor ones, tend to shut down long stretches of the road for long periods.That's when congestion comes in and the schedule is thrown away.

Welcome aboard to NYCTF.

Briefly on your (Q47) extending to Broadway Junction can't happen for this reason? Buses are not allowed on parkways like the Jackie Robinson, the Belt and West Side (Henry Hudson)parkway. It's due to safety reasons as those roads are only designed for highways.

Thank Robert Moses for that. If you never heard of him here link.

Robert Moses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A better idea would be a totally new route say for instance called the

"Q80" between Broadway Junction and Flushing using say Fresh Pond, Eliot Ave, Woodhaven, Hoarce Harding and Main St to get to/from Flushing instead. Several posters like COTB and EricB have already suggested.

Plus from the Corona/Jackson Heights area a better idea is to extend the (B24)greenpoint ave branch for that purpose of connecting NW Queens-Brooklyn. I don't think there enough ridership for a EAST NY-Jackson Heights bus.

That what the (Q58) is for connecting Ridgewood/Brooklyn bus routes-areas in or near Jackson Heights.

Hope it answers your question.

I tend to agree with B35 on this one.

The LEAST i see a extension could possibly be RIDGEWOOD/Fresh Pond Road, Putnam Ave to connect with the M train OR even Myrtle/Bway. , but if anything keep that line in Glendale.

You mean Myrtle-Wyckoff, right?

I have always wished they would do something like that as well.

You mean Myrtle-Wyckoff, right?

I have always wished they would do something like that as well.

come to think of it an extension of Q47 to ridgewood will increase ridership significantly. I was originally thinking of extending Q64 select runs via union turnpike and cooper ave but I don't even know if that would work.

Oh I see. Thanks for knowledge.

The following route is away from parkway and it's 3 minutes more than through jackie robinson. (11min vs 8min, according to google map)

Does this work? If the bus run non-stop from atlas park to Bway junction.

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=80th+St&daddr=40.698535,-73.888077+to:40.6913961,-73.890542+to:Conway+St&geocode=FQgdbQIdz9qY-w%3BFacCbQIds46Y-yktEUXG1F3CiTEjENDzdpw7DQ%3BFcTmbAIdEoWY-ykbwDu2MlzCiTFR7_Ufm_KLbw%3BFTS3bAIdTlCY-w&sll=40.677904,-73.902712&sspn=0.010545,0.01399&vpsrc=6&gl=us&hl=en&dirflg=h&mra=dme&mrsp=3&sz=16&via=1,2&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=40.693915,-73.88546&spn=0.045554,0.072956&z=13&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=80th+St&daddr=40.698535,-73.888077+to:40.6913961,-73.890542+to:Conway+St&geocode=FQgdbQIdz9qY-w%3BFacCbQIds46Y-yktEUXG1F3CiTEjENDzdpw7DQ%3BFcTmbAIdEoWY-ykbwDu2MlzCiTFR7_Ufm_KLbw%3BFTS3bAIdTlCY-w&sll=40.677904,-73.902712&sspn=0.010545,0.01399&vpsrc=6&gl=us&hl=en&dirflg=h&mra=dme&mrsp=3&sz=16&via=1,2&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=40.693915,-73.88546&spn=0.045554,0.072956&z=13" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

Welcome aboard to NYCTF.

Briefly on your (Q47) extending to Broadway Junction can't happen for this reason? Buses are not allowed on parkways like the Jackie Robinson, the Belt and West Side (Henry Hudson)parkway. It's due to safety reasons as those roads are only designed for highways.

Thank Robert Moses for that. If you never heard of him here link.

Robert Moses - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

A better idea would be a totally new route say for instance called the

"Q80" between Broadway Junction and Flushing using say Fresh Pond, Eliot Ave, Woodhaven, Hoarce Harding and Main St to get to/from Flushing instead. Several posters like COTB and EricB have already suggested.

Plus from the Corona/Jackson Heights area a better idea is to extend the (B24)greenpoint ave branch for that purpose of connecting NW Queens-Brooklyn. I don't think there enough ridership for a EAST NY-Jackson Heights bus.

That what the (Q58) is for connecting Ridgewood/Brooklyn bus routes-areas in or near Jackson Heights.

Hope it answers your question.

The following route is away from parkway and it's 3 minutes more than through jackie robinson. (11min vs 8min, according to google map)

[GMAPS]<iframe width="425" height="350" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" src="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=80th+St&daddr=40.698535,-73.888077+to:40.6913961,-73.890542+to:Conway+St&geocode=FQgdbQIdz9qY-w%3BFacCbQIds46Y-yktEUXG1F3CiTEjENDzdpw7DQ%3BFcTmbAIdEoWY-ykbwDu2MlzCiTFR7_Ufm_KLbw%3BFTS3bAIdTlCY-w&sll=40.677904,-73.902712&sspn=0.010545,0.01399&vpsrc=6&gl=us&hl=en&dirflg=h&mra=dme&mrsp=3&sz=16&via=1,2&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=40.693915,-73.88546&spn=0.045554,0.072956&z=13&output=embed"></iframe><br /><small><a href="http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=embed&saddr=80th+St&daddr=40.698535,-73.888077+to:40.6913961,-73.890542+to:Conway+St&geocode=FQgdbQIdz9qY-w%3BFacCbQIds46Y-yktEUXG1F3CiTEjENDzdpw7DQ%3BFcTmbAIdEoWY-ykbwDu2MlzCiTFR7_Ufm_KLbw%3BFTS3bAIdTlCY-w&sll=40.677904,-73.902712&sspn=0.010545,0.01399&vpsrc=6&gl=us&hl=en&dirflg=h&mra=dme&mrsp=3&sz=16&via=1,2&ie=UTF8&t=m&ll=40.693915,-73.88546&spn=0.045554,0.072956&z=13" style="color:#0000FF;text-align:left">View Larger Map</a></small>[/GMAPS]

stick with cooper ave buddy even with stops it will still be quick.

Ok so how will it get back. You cant make a turn onto Vermont Pl from Highland Boulevard.You would have to either go on Jamaica Avenue to Cypress Hills Street or go on Broadway until Cooper Street/Cooper Avenue, since it's an illegal turn if you make a turn from Highland Boulevard to Vermont Place.I would make buses in both directions go up Broadway to Cooper Street/Cooper Avenue, and then Operate onto 80 street. the Q47 doesn't even stop inside the mall so what's the point of terminating it there

Ok so how will it get back. You cant make a turn onto Vermont Pl from Highland Boulevard.You would have to either go on Jamaica Avenue to Cypress Hills Street or go on Broadway until Cooper Street/Cooper Avenue, since it's an illegal turn if you make a turn from Highland Boulevard to Vermont Place.
You can make the turn:

Google Maps

There is a fork, and you can't make the softer left into the southbound branch (as you would expect), but you can make the hard left into the other branch.

Yes, People from Glendale will want to go Broadway Junction. They love the down trodend state of the neighborhood and risk of crime. </end sarcastic mode>

If they want they subway, they have the M three times closer.

1.The MTA's task is to keep transit system conductive, minimize people's commute time, reducing crime is the job of NYPD.

2. M only goes to 6av and upper than williamsburg bridge. Broadway junction has A,L,J which covers a much larger area including downtown brooklyn, lowest manhattan and 8av.

1.The MTA's task is to keep transit system conductive, minimize people's commute time, reducing crime is the job of NYPD.

2. M only goes to 6av and upper than williamsburg bridge. Broadway junction has A,L,J which covers a much larger area including downtown brooklyn, lowest manhattan and 8av.

You have a point in that it's not the MTA's job to reduce crime, but the point is that the people who could potentially benefit from the extension

are afraid to go to Broadway Junction and therefore ridership won't be too high.

the M is closer. the M transfers to the L and J. the M is Not in a high crime neighborhood.

He has a point in the fact that having to make that extra transfer (especially considering the (M) isn't too frequent a line) can add time to the commute, but I agree that people in Glendale likely wouldn't want to go to a station in a high-crime neighborhood when there is a station in a safer neighborhood they can use.

come to think of it an extension of Q47 to ridgewood will increase ridership significantly. I was originally thinking of extending Q64 select runs via union turnpike and cooper ave but I don't even know if that would work.

Q47 doesn't need an extension to Ridgewood... got enough buses over there as it is....

Q64 has nothin to do with this....

even if the MTA sent the 47 to Broadway Junction, the most of the Middle Village/Glendale crowd would not ride it.

Agreed 100%.....

I was gonna make that same point...

Extending the 47 to Broadway Jnctn. won't make much (if any) folks consider not xferring to 38's or 54's anymore....

I might disagree with the prior poster, but to me, an extension to Ridgewood would probably be best, running via Cooper Avenue and Myrtle Avenue.

Separately, I would do a reroute of the Q39 to avoid having it terminate on a residential street. South of Myrtle Avenue, I would have the Q39 run down Summerfield and Decatur to Cypress Avenue, and then use Cypress and Cooper Avenues to terminate at Wesley Drumm Park.

I'll be quite frankly honest. Glendale riders don't need to hop on a bus all the way to Broadway Jct/ENY. (M) train is very suitable for their needs. I believe along that route you have the (Q58)/(Q59) on Grand Ave that provides a good connection to the (E)(G)(R), trains, and (Q60) on Queens Blvd/Grand Ave to Manhattan.

PS: Although we would like to have route extensions to improve service, MTA continues to CUT, CUT and CUT away. Most of Brooklyn and Southeast queens, incl Little neck got hurt the most on the doomsday cuts of 6/2010.

I might disagree with the prior poster, but to me, an extension to Ridgewood would probably be best, running via Cooper Avenue and Myrtle Avenue.

Which is redundant....

It's no different than anyone that suggested in the past that the Q29 be extended to Ridgewood....

I'll be quite frankly honest. Glendale riders don't need to hop on a bus all the way to Broadway Jct/ENY. train is very suitable for their needs. I believe along that route you have the Q58/59 on Grand Ave that provides a good connection to the E/G/R, trains, and Q60 on Queens Blvd/Grand Ave to Manhattan.

This.

Q47 doesn't need an extension to Ridgewood... got enough buses over there as it is....

Q64 has nothin to do with this....

Agreed 100%.....

I was gonna make that same point...

Extending the 47 to Broadway Jnctn. won't make much (if any) folks consider not xferring to 38's or 54's anymore....

Q47 to ridgewood provides service to central ave corridor and cuts ddown on travel time. Plus I have a feeling the OP isn't targeting glandale riders at all. but riders from connecting lines that link with Q47. Look at the whole route not just the one place that it serves.

Archived