Questions about NYC buses

TriboroughBridge

Hi, I have a couple of questions I was hoping could be answered regarding the NYC bus system.

1) how is somebody suppose to know where a bus stops? I have never seen, where they show the stops of a bus, how would someone know where he needs to get off? (E.G. if I'm at Empire Blvd & Brooklyn Ave & I want to get to Flushing & Broadway), how do I know when I'm suppose to push the tape/button? What if I push it too early or too late?

One time, I had to go to Francis Lewis Blvd & 225 St, so I had to take the (Q84) to 120 Ave & 226 St. I had to keep looking out the front window to see if I could see the closest stop to it, without missing it. If there's an easier way to do this I would appreciate it! :P

2) Whats the difference between (MTA) New York City buses & (MTA) buses? I mean, I know (MTA) buses were bought out by private companies, but why are they different from (MTA) NYCT buses? Why was every bus bought out & how were these buses, before the were bought out by the (MTA)?

Thanks in advance! :cool:

Hi, I have a couple of questions I was hoping could be answered regarding the NYC bus system.

1) how is somebody suppose to know where a bus stops? I have never seen, where they show the stops of a bus, how would someone know where he needs to get off? (E.G. if I'm at Empire Blvd & Brooklyn Ave & I want to get to Flushing & Broadway), how do I know when I'm suppose to push the tape/button? What if I push it too early or too late?

One time, I had to go to Francis Lewis Blvd & 225 St, so I had to take the (Q84) to 120 Ave & 226 St. I had to keep looking out the front window to see if I could see the closest stop to it, without missing it. If there's an easier way to do this I would appreciate it! :P

Plain and simple, there's no way to know without asking the bus driver beforehand. Usually bus stops are every 2-3 blocks, so if I'm going somewhere and the bus makes a stop one block away I'll get off, or if it's still three or so blocks away I'll wait until the next stop.

Plain and simple, there's no way to know without asking the bus driver beforehand. Usually bus stops are every 2-3 blocks, so if I'm going somewhere and the bus makes a stop one block away I'll get off, or if it's still three or so blocks away I'll wait until the next stop.

Ok, Thanks! :P

also do you have anything to say about this? vvvv

2) Whats the difference between (MTA) New York City buses & (MTA) buses? I mean, I know (MTA) buses were bought out by private companies, but why are they different from (MTA) NYCT buses? Why was every bus bought out & how were these buses, before the were bought out by the (MTA)?

I use official MTA Trip Planner and select buses only if I only want to use bus only.

I don't trust Google Map because they fail and they think M4 also stops at Trie Cafe before Cloisters.

If I go and try new bus routes, I trace bus routes on street view, so I know what street buses use.

On Long Island Bus, when it is not in timepoint but closest, I add driving time.

For Instant, when I stop by at Whole Food at Northern Blvd/Pt. Washington Blvd, closest time point for Flushing-bound N20/N21 at Mineola Av, so I add 6 minutes driving time.

For Long Island Bus or Bee-Line bus, I memoralized.

When I visit my friend in Ossinning, I memorized bus stop on Route 9 highway near Brooke Club Drive.

Thanks in advance! :cool:

I've had that problem when going somewhere unfamiliar. you can get the list of stops from trip planner then look at a map for the intersections receding your stop so you know when its coming. Or just take your best guess. On a local bus worst that can happen is you walk a few extra blocks

I've been in other cities where there is automated announcements of the next stop so you know when to press. DC is like that using real time gps tracking.

Google Transit is the best. Every blue moon as FamousNYLover stated it can be off. But its your best bet unless you call MTA, or ask the driver when you board.

To answer your SECOND question as no one has:

(MTA) New York City Bus, (MTA) Bus & (MTA) Long Island bus are all sub-divisions of MTA Regional Bus Operations. They are all branded differently because at one point, they were all individual companies, which the same base, (MTA).

That's close. They are divisions/subsidiaries of the MTA. They aren't branded differently because they were all different companies. NYC Bus is made up of several private lines companies as well as Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (also former private bus lines).

MTA Bus is made up of the major private lines that were remaining after the first MTA takeovers of the '40's and '60's

Other than the titles on the side of the bus and a few other details, NYC Bus and MTA bus are the exact same. Both are part of MTA NYC Bus Operations. In a few years the two will be merged. At which time, MTAB is likely to become the new MaBSTOA.

Long Island Bus is different. For 35 years, all Nassau County did was hire MTA as the contract operator for service. However, in 2008 MTA began the process of merging LIB into the newly created Regional Bus Operations. The plan was for Nassau to own the depots, and that was pretty much it. All new buses were to be the property of MTA, and all was to be standardized. However, we know how that changed over the course of a few years.

To answer your SECOND question as no one has:

Dude you are awesome! :( & thanks for the answer!

That's close. They are divisions/subsidiaries of the MTA. They aren't branded differently because they were all different companies. NYC Bus is made up of several private lines companies as well as Manhattan and Bronx Surface Transit Operating Authority (also former private bus lines).

MTA Bus is made up of the major private lines that were remaining after the first MTA takeovers of the '40's and '60's

Other than the titles on the side of the bus and a few other details, NYC Bus and MTA bus are the exact same. Both are part of MTA NYC Bus Operations. In a few years the two will be merged. At which time, MTAB is likely to become the new MaBSTOA.

Long Island Bus is different. For 35 years, all Nassau County did was hire MTA as the contract operator for service. However, in 2008 MTA began the process of merging LIB into the newly created Regional Bus Operations. The plan was for Nassau to own the depots, and that was pretty much it. All new buses were to be the property of MTA, and all was to be standardized. However, we know how that changed over the course of a few years.

Thank you also, for an extended answer! :P

& thanks everybody for you answers! :)

Archived