Why is the Holland Tunnel always congested?

Via Garibaldi 8

Guest lance25

After doing some digging, under the original plan, Interstate 478 would've be designated to the Manhattan Bridge and the small branch of the LOMEX, connecting to the main portion (and I-78) of the route. The I-278 designation was to be given to the modified, interstate-grade West Side Highway.

Boy now this is what I call a transit forum. I never expected such detailed, pensive responses to what I thought was a simple question. :cool: :tup:

Not just that. The two worst ones imo are Canal and Broome Streets. Canal is DEFINITELY the worst because you got peeps bottlenecking to & from the bridge & the damn tunnel!! 6th Avenue has a tendency to flow from time to time. West Side Highway actually has it easier, its just getting to the tunnel that kills their moments lol.

I'd also like to point out that they've been doing a long-term project in the tunnels with the roads and other stuff, should be completed in 2014 or so.

And what will this work mean for commuters??

Boy now this is what I call a transit forum. I never expected such detailed, pensive responses to what I thought was a simple question.

lol... yep, you have some folks here that are also into roads & highways just as much as they are public transportation.....

I knew about the mid manhattan expwy, but not about LoMex....

lol... yep, you have some folks here that are also into roads & highways just as much as they are public transportation.....

I knew about the mid manhattan expwy, but not about LoMex....

Yep. Myself I'm a road buff (a general one lol). I think there should be a Road and Highway Forum here, especially since this is a Transit forum, which sorta includes that.

Just had to make a suggestion here: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/f30/road-highway-forum-33616.html#post504800

And yeah, after reading articles on wikipedia and a few other places, LoMex (Interstate 78) is a project by Robert Moses. It would of spread into Brooklyn and Queens. NY State Route 878 (Nassau Expressway) was suppose to be an axillary route of 78, while Interstate 78 would of been today what is now known as Interstate 678 (Van Wyck/Whitestone) and ended at the Bruckner Interchange in the Bronx. (Correct me if im wrong)

And what will this work mean for commuters??

I'm not entirely sure about the details of this project, but this is mainly for infrastructure fixes such as pipe replacement and other stuff. It's going to be brutal, especially the weekends. When I lived in the city and I was picked up just to go to Newport Center, we sat at Broome Street for 1 hour and 35 minutes....the damn train would've only taken 20!!

Well the Holland tunnel could use a 3rd tunnel the same way the Lincoln tunnel has.

As mentioned already the main obstacle is Manhattan. There needs to be a way to get from Jersey to Queens/Brooklyn more easily thru Manhattan. What would be nice would be a tunnel that goes under the streets that would clear the idling traffic on the streets. Obviously an overhead highway is out of the question as people will complain about it.

If Boston had their big dig, what about NYC? I would think this would be beneficial for everyone. Plus they could charge a $5-8 toll to use the tunnel to justify the cost. So anyone that doesn't want to pay can use the same streets they've always used before.

Well the Holland tunnel could use a 3rd tunnel the same way the Lincoln tunnel has.

As mentioned already the main obstacle is Manhattan. There needs to be a way to get from Jersey to Queens/Brooklyn more easily thru Manhattan. What would be nice would be a tunnel that goes under the streets that would clear the idling traffic on the streets. Obviously an overhead highway is out of the question as people will complain about it.

If Boston had their big dig, what about NYC? I would think this would be beneficial for everyone. Plus they could charge a $5-8 toll to use the tunnel to justify the cost. So anyone that doesn't want to pay can use the same streets they've always used before.

Sure, another tunnel on the holland (like how the Lincoln is set up) would help in that immediate area.... What's ultimately needed though is a third crossing (well 4th, if you count the GWB) b/w Manhattan and NJ.....

Well I don't know if another crossing is needed. I think the GWB/Holland/Lincoln will do.

A tunnel connecting NJ495 to I495 is needed, which should help lower traffic. I think most of the traffic are those coming from the East and Long Island.

See, this is what I THINK the city SHOULD be doing, rather then worrying about sending the (7) to Jersey... Cars are something as well and NEEDs help to lower congestion in Manhattan.

Get rid of all parking & cars standing on Canal Street. Start agressively towing cars & ticket the people standing like mad. This will create a good three lane moving road on Canal eastbound

Then have 24/7 traffic police on ALL the left turn roads on canal (W Bway, Greene, Centre, Mulberry, Elizabeth, etc).

This isn't a magic solution but I believe this will help allviate the traffic jam out the tunnel all the way from NJ

Get rid of all parking & cars standing on Canal Street. Start agressively towing cars & ticket the people standing like mad. This will create a good three lane moving road on Canal eastbound

Then have 24/7 traffic police on ALL the left turn roads on canal (W Bway, Greene, Centre, Mulberry, Elizabeth, etc).

This isn't a magic solution but I believe this will help allviate the traffic jam out the tunnel all the way from NJ

I agree with your SIRTiger with banning parking on Canal. However the NIMBYS in both Chinatown and Little Italy mainly the "mom & pa' owned stores, who depend on trucks devlivering supplies (most use the Holland Tunnel)will strongly try to block it.

no matter what is done, there will always be complainers, nimbys, etc. Its same as those bike lanes or those barriers with trees all over manhattan. I am sure some people are still very unhappy with that and others love it.

If city hall puts theirs pimp hand down for so called the greater good, they will do it. If the city gives out enough tickets & the towing cost gets to the point that the cost of parking on Canal will be too great.....it will change the way drivers park. Do we see a lot of illegal parking at middle of times square or along central part of 42nd street? Few dare to park there.

Hold up, let's just check some facts. Robert Moses was a horrible racist and only got away with what he did because of the circumstances. He designed an entire transport system based on cars (which at the time were only available to the rich) and segregated neighborhoods with his massive parkways. He ruined the South Bronx and would have ruined Lower Manhattan too.

You know what would have happened if he'd built the LME? Lower Manhattan would have stayed a really bad area with cheap land. Those highways are poison to the neighborhoods that they're in. I can tell you're not a New Yorker from the fact you're praising those things. At the best, they're products of necessity, but Moses was not a good man and I can only thank god there's no LME.

yea and how come the areas the parkways go through on long island are still good areas? The LIE goes through Old Westbury, full of multimillion dollar mansions and its still a highly desirable area. A lot of the crappy areas of Nassau county are actually away from the parkways such as Hempstead, Inwood, and Freeport.

First of all, the parkways in Long Island are a completely different animal than in the city. Moses didn't have anything to segregate out there, so he just built. However, if you study the way the highways were built more towards the city, he actually went around the richer districts to go through the poorer areas. Not to mention the whole scandal of purposely building parkways too low for buses to cut off bus service for the poor...

its honestly why i prefer to take the Northern State over the LIE, no tall trucks or big vehicles to contend with.

but yet there are parkways in the city that go thru decent areas, the Henry Hudson Parkway goes through Riverdale, you have the Throgs Neck bridge approaches going through Throgs Neck. The area on the Cross Island goes by, north of Northen Blvd is decent and very scenic with the waterfront.

Not every highway and parkway in New York city goes through the ghetto. Theres plenty of bad parts of Brooklyn with no parkways or highways, and yet those areas went downhill without Robert Moses.

The facts are, parking is slowly disappearing in manhattan. No one can deny this. Even PAID parking is slowing becoming a dinosaur. Once a parking garage in manhattan is torn down, a multi-million (maybe billion) dollar building goes up.

City hall made those island with tree in middle of the road all over nyc and those biking lines also contributes to less parking space & less car lanes. I believe they announced they plan to build more bike lanes. I am just stating facts what has been going on. Some love it, some hate it.

I think getting rid of parking will furthur anger people and cause congestion. Note that the majority of traffic is cars trying to find a spot or crosstown traffic during 7am-9pm or the "awake" hours. Removing parking will conjest other areas, simply Public Transportation will only gain so many passengers, not everybody will ride the railroads, subways and busses and don't even mention congestion pricing since from my observations, people will just tie up traffic in Queens, Brooklyn and the Bronx and Manhattan streets above 60th St. Mike Bloomberg failed on this.

That's exactly what we need is congestion pricing. All of these prima donnas driving into the city and clogging up the streets! :mad: Then folks can understand how we feel on Staten Island for having to pay to get out of our borough if we want to drive. People complain that it's so expensive to drive but they keep driving, so is it really that expensive?? Apparently not.

That's exactly what we need is congestion pricing. All of these prima donnas driving into the city and clogging up the streets! :mad:

just throw it out there. Port Authority tolls went up to a staggering $12 toll. That tunnel is still jammed up. If it went to $20, i bet it STILL will be jammed up.

Archived