Jamaica-Montauk by local bus

Eric B

The S27 color is more like a pure gold or anise. The parks and cemeteries on the map are like a pea soup green, and it may be similar to the anise, but it's just as close to the existing yellow of the Bway lines, especially since it's lighter heading towards yellow. So I don't think that will clash much, but especially not as much as the yellow which clashes with white and other light background colors; requiring both outlining and black letters. That was always my reason for suggesting gold in the first place.

I was joy riding, for the sake of going locally all the way; so yes, if I wasn't doing that, your suggestion is what I'd do.

Yes, the 66 did have good ridership, and I was a bit surprised. But it is connecting the major points of Patchogue and Riverhead.

Kept forgetting to mention, in Babylon I saw one of the MTAB loaners parked across from the station, and it was strange seeing a Queen bus way out there. Forgot to get the number.

Also, seeing the crisp clear night, with the clear moonrise on my last trip tonight, I kind of wish I had gone on a night like tonight, and took the later trip (leave Jamaica at noon; reach Montauk at 7, last possible run), so I could see the moon over the bay, east of Riverhead where the island splits. I always imagine what it's like out there at night, and originally planned the later slot, but the next train out of Montauk after the 2:51 leaves at 10:38 or so , and gets to Jamaica at 2AM!

I also wonder how much holiday decoration there is in the Hamptons and beyond. (to further see if it's worth ever going out there at night).

MTA has loaners to keep service on schedule. Not much the Hamptons have some nice downtown areas but are deserted at night and have moderate traffic volumes at rush hour. If you want hell on wheels use S62 and S61 S61 shockingly runs more frequent than other SCT routes!!!! S61 is every 30 mins.

have any of you used the suffolk clipper? or S61 and S66 the S66 is a sardine can based on riding it and shockingly goes through seemingly deserted areas yet gets loaded. The S buses at stony brook are literally death cans on wheels you are literally crushed on the bus on the S60 and S62 S62 needs at least better rush hour service LI's biggest flaw in transit is horrible rush hour service. Even if ppl wanted to use the bus in many cases they CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!

Never been on the clipper....

Been on the 61 a few times.... Been on the S66 enough times....

All I gotta say about bus service around Stony Brook is that the S71 is as slow as molasses... to boot, the dam 60 (and the 3D) is more reliable than the 71.....

The S27 color is more like a pure gold or anise. The parks and cemeteries on the map are like a pea soup green, and it may be similar to the anise, but it's just as close to the existing yellow of the Bway lines, especially since it's lighter heading towards yellow. So I don't think that will clash much, but especially not as much as the yellow which clashes with white and other light background colors; requiring both outlining and black letters. That was always my reason for suggesting gold in the first place.

The S27 is more like a pea soup green (which is what I referred to as being olive green)... it's nothing like the existing yellow of that of the broadway lines.... The S54 comes closest to that yellow of the N/Q/R lines....

I'm not sure if you're confusing the color of the S27 w/ that of the S54 or what, but the color of the S27 does clash w/ that of the parks & cemeteries on the newer subway maps....

Yes, the 66 did have good ridership, and I was a bit surprised. But it is connecting the major points of Patchogue and Riverhead.

Lemme guess, the bus had a seated load (or close enough to it) @ the terminal in patchogue itself (I can bet most of these ppl. came off the S40 too!)... bus started emptying out a bit when it hit the william floyd, and even moreso w/i mastic beach (residential blocks)... some more people got on (and off) in the moriches'.... and about 10-15 people emptied out at the county offices in riverhead....

typical EB S66 trip.

Never been on the clipper....

Been on the 61 a few times.... Been on the S66 enough times....

All I gotta say about bus service around Stony Brook is that the S71 is as slow as molasses... to boot, the dam 60 (and the 3D) is more reliable than the 71.....

The S27 is more like a pea soup green (which is what I referred to as being olive green)... it's nothing like the existing yellow of that of the broadway lines.... The S54 comes closest to that yellow of the N/Q/R lines....

I'm not sure if you're confusing the color of the S27 w/ that of the S54 or what, but the color of the S27 does clash w/ that of the parks & cemeteries on the newer subway maps....

Lemme guess, the bus had a seated load (or close enough to it) @ the terminal in patchogue itself (I can bet most of these ppl. came off the S40 too!)... bus started emptying out a bit when it hit the william floyd, and even moreso w/i mastic beach (residential blocks)... some more people got on (and off) in the moriches'.... and about 10-15 people emptied out at the county offices in riverhead....

typical EB S66 trip.

S71 has too many mid line diversions that need to be eliminated to speed it up plus it runs like crap every 90 mins and then late on top of that the line is an embarrasment.

Not much the Hamptons have some nice downtown areas but are deserted at night
As far as decorations, I meant on private homes; not how many people are in town or anything like that. (since that's the well-known rich area, I wonder if you have a lot of people who go all out with the decorations).

I wasn't saying that the S27 color was close to Bway, but that it is not as green as the parks. The Bway yellow seems to blend in with it just as much for a different reason. (Lighter "yellowish" color instead of darker slightly green color). The parks color is basically inbetween the two route colors.

The Nassau routes on that map would be the same color as the Bway lines, while S54 is amber.

typical EB S66 trip.

Pretty much, IIRC. What i most clearly remember was that the N19 Suffolk portion, and of course the S10 were the most empty portions of the trip.

I wasn't saying that the S27 color was close to Bway, but that it is not as green as the parks. The Bway yellow seems to blend in with it just as much for a different reason. (Lighter "yellowish" color instead of darker slightly green color). The parks color is basically inbetween the two route colors.

The Nassau routes on that map would be the same color as the Bway lines, while S54 is amber.

Right, the LIB routes on the suffolk map (along w/ the S76) are the same shade of yellow as that depicted of the broadway lines.... Never said the S54 color is the same as the b'way lines - I said it comes the closest... Meaning, the closest of the two routes (27/54).....

as far as the S27 color being in-between or w/e, we'll just agree to disagree w/ that.... I still think it's too close to that of the color of the parks on the subway map....

* For those that are like, wth are they talkin about...

15613.gif74564.gif

(on the left is a snippet of the SCT map where the S27/S54 run in hauppauge [which I always felt needed an inset, btw]....

on the right is a snippet of central park on the NYC subway map....)

Compare the colors....

S71 has too many mid line diversions that need to be eliminated to speed it up plus it runs like crap every 90 mins and then late on top of that the line is an embarrasment.

You aint kiddin.... b/w LIRR Stony Brook & nicolls rd alone can take up to a 1/2 hour alone...

....and god help you if you're waitin for that thing at the college.... you'll see everything else arrive before it (including that, S63... which never seems to come either).... tend to see 6a's or 6b's arrive before everything else.....

Right, the LIB routes on the suffolk map (along w/ the S76) are the same shade of yellow as that depicted of the broadway lines.... Never said the S54 color is the same as the b'way lines - I said it comes the closest... Meaning, the closest of the two routes (27/54).....

as far as the S27 color being in-between or w/e, we'll just agree to disagree w/ that.... I still think it's too close to that of the color of the parks on the subway map....

15613.gif74564.gif

(on the left is a snippet of the SCT map where the S27/S54 run in hauppauge [which I always felt needed an inset, btw]....

Compare the colors....

You aint kiddin.... b/w LIRR Stony Brook & nicolls rd alone can take up to a 1/2 hour alone...

....and god help you if you're waitin for that thing at the college.... you'll see everything else arrive before it (including that, S63... which never seems to come either).... tend to see 6a's or 6b's arrive before everything else.....

I do admit when I make plans I look at where car traffic travels to and I don't look at the current bus routes on an individual level I look at area by area not block by block hence why few here understand my proposals. GOD I hate S71

You mean you tend to see the 6A make its round trip as there is only one bus that does the 6A, unless you see the one before it goes onto the 6B.

Your Snippet is also out of date, the S33 now makes a look around Hauppauge like the S27 does.

The S71 gets delayed by traffic around early afternoon, My sister has no trouble catching it on time during the morning on Monday's and Wednesdays. Though with one of the assigned Orion VII's blowing its Fan belt almost everyday has her starting to get annoyed.

have any of you used the suffolk clipper? or S61 and S66 the S66 is a sardine can based on riding it and shockingly goes through seemingly deserted areas yet gets loaded. The S buses at stony brook are literally death cans on wheels you are literally crushed on the bus on the S60 and S62 S62 needs at least better rush hour service LI's biggest flaw in transit is horrible rush hour service. Even if ppl wanted to use the bus in many cases they CAN'T!!!!!!!!!!

The S62 is is probably bad right now because of all the construction on 347 in Hauppauge and the Construction on 112, and because its the holiday season, which is also a bad time for buses servicing Smith Haven, otherwise its normally not that bad.

MTA has loaners to keep service on schedule. Not much the Hamptons have some nice downtown areas but are deserted at night and have moderate traffic volumes at rush hour. If you want hell on wheels use S62 and S61 S61 shockingly runs more frequent than other SCT routes!!!! S61 is every 30 mins.

Are you talking about the MTA S61 or SCT S61 running every 30 mins?

typical EB S66 trip.

Eastbound S66 aren't always like that, there are a few runs that aren't crush loaded.

Normally Crush loaded East Bound trips are the first two runs out of Patchouge and the last two runs of the day out of patchouge. Otherwise they normally aren't that bad.

15613.gif74564.gif

Compare the colors....

Yeah, close; but the S27 color is darker; enough so to stand out just as well (if you put it over the park color). The Bway line has those outlines, you see there, and otherwise would be harder to see in much of the background, including the park.

I'd really prefer Bway lines to look more like this: 8.gif

That's more yellow and less green, and yet deep enough to contrast with the white. (Its saturation would definitely stand out frm the pale green of the park, as well as the rest of the backgrounds). It would probably need to be a bit deeper or darker, to improve the contrast.

And then, you have to figure, that when you put it to print, it will probably come out more like the 27 color.

Hence, my suggesting the 27 color.

Since this done turned into a general SCT route discussion thread.....

You mean you tend to see the 6A make its round trip as there is only one bus that does the 6A, unless you see the one before it goes onto the 6B.

Your Snippet is also out of date, the S33 now makes a look around Hauppauge like the S27 does.

All I know is I see buses signed as the 6a & the 6b, and they tend to show before 71's do....

As far as the snippet goes... yeah, thanks for pointing that out, but it wasn't an attempt to show the most recent service around hauppauge.....

Eastbound S66 aren't always like that, there are a few runs that aren't crush loaded.

Normally Crush loaded East Bound trips are the first two runs out of Patchouge and the last two runs of the day out of patchouge. Otherwise they normally aren't that bad.

I think you're undermining the usage of the S66.... It can't be just the first 2 & the last 2 runs b/c I'm hardly ever out in suffolk during those times, and I know the ridership habits of the users of that route.... these are midday runs during the weekday & weekend that I'm referring to, and the habits I notice are consistent.... I'm talkin about over the course of years here....

and who said anything about crushloaded.....

Then again, I don't know what your idea of a crushloaded bus is....

The point I was making is that the S66 overall gets good usage.... I can't say that for a lot of suffolk's routes.....

I do admit when I make plans I look at where car traffic travels to and I don't look at the current bus routes on an individual level I look at area by area not block by block hence why few here understand my proposals. GOD I hate S71

Yeah, but you fail to realize that you're not gonna get people out of their personal vehicles & make em willing to take public transportation.... We can come up with as many ideas as we can under the sun... The fact of the matter is, there is a negative stigma that's attached to public transportation.... and quite frankly, people feel quite comfortable in their automobiles....

Emphasis on "their".....

All I know is I see buses signed as the 6a & the 6b, and they tend to show before 71's do....

As far as the snippet goes... yeah, thanks for pointing that out, but it wasn't an attempt to show the most recent service around hauppauge.....

I didn't mean it in a way that meant that you were attempting to show service in Hauppauge, I just thought that everyone should know that there was a minor service change since it was never mentioned by Suffolk Transit and most people say that Suffolk doesn't do much to make service better.

You probably see the 6A more because It probably doesn't take long to get to Ronkonkoma RR to Coram and then back.

I think you're undermining the usage of the S66.... It can't be just the first 2 & the last 2 runs b/c I'm hardly ever out in suffolk during those times, and I know the ridership habits of the users of that route.... these are midday runs during the weekday & weekend that I'm referring to, and the habits I notice are consistent.... I'm talkin about over the course of years here....

The point I was making is that the S66 overall gets good usage.... I can't say that for a lot of suffolk's routes.....

I don't think I'm undermining it that much, I nearly walked into a S66 the other day wile crossing the street and it didn't look as full as you said it normally is for that area that I was in.

Normally when I take an Eastbound S66 those runs are the most busiest.

What I call Crush Loaded is when there are no seats and nearly a half dozen to a dozen people are standing. The Orion VII's are not that capable of taken the loads the S66 get in the last few runs of the day.

Yeah, but you fail to realize that you're not gonna get people out of their personal vehicles & make em willing to take public transportation.... We can come up with as many ideas as we can under the sun... The fact of the matter is, there is a negative stigma that's attached to public transportation.... and quite frankly, people feel quite comfortable in their automobiles....

Emphasis on "their".....

Not exactly sunrise hwy and a series of express lines will do the trick and guranteed connections with LIRR should help make bus service very attractive. Key is to manipulate existing lines rather than create new ones. Merge a few then consolidate and streamline some routes complete the network and ridership will increase. If you see my LI east plan you would know that it can actually cut costs in many areas and mold lines to mend to the LIRR. In a nutshell buses become fast segments are traded from route to route. Also some changes to make lines more reliable. LI ppl even if they wanted to use the bus system can't due to bad rush hour service and inconvenient schedules that cut off too early. Some lines become minibus parkway lines its designed with SPEED in mind. LI west however reroutes lines without having to extend unless the line is weak and needs a trip generator badly. Some really weak ones get merged with stronger ones duplicates bit the dust. Reroutes in west LI are designed to make the route more useful to nassau residents and make lines more productive by discarding weak segment for strong segment.

You mean direct runs on the S20 to Babylon? Iono, I would leave/keep all S20 service to remain serving GSB shopping ctr - Even if service were to be increased.... I think the North Babylon route (S25?) also loops into GSB before serving LIRR Babylon.... but then again, S20 ridership >>> S25 ridership...

On a side note, do you think the S25 and S20 should be combined? They're both relatively short routes, and if S25 ridership is that low, it could probably use another traffic generator.

typical EB S66 trip.

Should some S40 trips be extended into Mastic Beach, since so many people seem to be transferring from the S40 to the S66, or between the S66 and S68 do the buses end up being timed correctly so there's no need to extend the S40 (to save the passengers time by avoiding the transfer)

On a side note, do you think the S25 and S20 should be combined? They're both relatively short routes, and if S25 ridership is that low, it could probably use another traffic generator.

I have no idea about a S25-S20 combination, I'be never ridden or seen those routes, though I have heard that they don't get many riders.

Should some S40 trips be extended into Mastic Beach, since so many people seem to be transferring from the S40 to the S66, or between the S66 and S68 do the buses end up being timed correctly so there's no need to extend the S40 (to save the passengers time by avoiding the transfer)

The S66 is either on time or at most 5 minutes late. The S68 when it heads out to Center Moriches is either on time or at most ten minutes late.

The S40 shouldn't be extended because it is already a long route, besides there is Nothing or no where for that matter for a final stop in Mastic Beach.

1) nah... it's not as close as it looks on the map, bro.... Between GSB shopping ctr. & up there on edison (around where the 33 runs), is about 3-4 miles apart.... the 25 takes about an hour to complete (the loop).....

{* NYC equivalent/comparison, it would be like having Bx5's go in & out of country club.....}

2) I thought that about a couple times while riding the 40 also... but I think it's best to have both routes remain serving patchogue.... I'd say more than 1/2 of the 66's ridership comes w/i (and between) mastic beach & patchogue, so by extending the 40 to mastic beach, you'd increase the uselessness of the 66....

....and besides, as mac said, there aint anywhere to end buses w/i mastic beach anyway..... its residential down there.... major commercial area is downtown shirley itself (william floyd/montauk hwy, where the 66 turns).... the more south you go south of montauk hwy along the william floyd, the more residential it gets (outside of the exception of the william floyd plz) - which is why the 71 ends there, instead of panning on in to mastic bch..... Of course, you can double-check all this for yourself using the mapquest/google maps & what not.....

also, you don't want the 68 being the only (other) link b/w patchogue & shirley.... that route runs like s***; very erratic, and has an odd schedule..... As opposed to the 40 & the 66, which (for the most part) are rather timely/reliable....

1) nah... it's not as close as it looks on the map, bro.... Between GSB shopping ctr. & up there on edison (around where the 33 runs), is about 3-4 miles apart.... the 25 takes about an hour to complete (the loop).....

{* NYC equivalent/comparison, it would be like having Bx5's go in & out of country club.....}

But even then, the length of the combine route would be about 13 miles, which isn't that long. The S33 is about 21 miles, S58 is 36 miles, the S62 is 40 miles, and the S66 is 32 miles. Even the S23 and S29 are around 13 miles long. The only routes really shorter than that would be the routes with the suffixes.

Damn! Most routes take a whole month to reach ridership that a less-than average route sees in a day in NYC.

I wonder what the cost per passenger on these routes are. You wouldn't happen to have that, would you? I guess filing a FOIL request could get me the information.

also, you don't want the 68 being the only (other) link b/w patchogue & shirley.... that route runs like s***; very erratic, and has an odd schedule..... As opposed to the 40 & the 66, which (for the most part) are rather timely/reliable....

Over about the last week and an half, the S68 both morning and afternoon has been running on time heading to/from Center Moriches has been ON TIME, with the exception of one afternoon coming from Center Moriches.

Damn! Most routes take a whole month to reach ridership that a less-than average route sees in a day in NYC.

I wonder what the cost per passenger on these routes are. You wouldn't happen to have that, would you? I guess filing a FOIL request could get me the information.

Request to whom? The County? And I'm still scared to send that NJT request because NJT's OPRA form appears to be worded in such a way that all requests are answered in paper form and require payment.

now you are messing with my territory just kidding but you don't know much about SCT so let me simplify this the S66 transfers are timed well the S66 from what I heard from fellow riders breks down often. Plus S40 is too long. But I will give you a taste of what should be done listen carefully

But even then, the length of the combine route would be about 13 miles, which isn't that long. The S33 is about 21 miles, S58 is 36 miles, the S62 is 40 miles, and the S66 is 32 miles. Even the S23 and S29 are around 13 miles long. The only routes really shorter than that would be the routes with the suffixes.

The hourly service creates a limit to how high ridership can go.

Plus they added new lines since then the S76 and they extended lines after 2001 like S66,S58 and later evening service on S92 to name a few of the improvements since then I know cause I have a 1998 bus map and a 2010 map to compare so you can see the differences it's like night and day plus don't forget the gas prices of 2008 times have changed. S61 also I believe got an enhancement as I don't remember it being every 30 mins a few years ago. But it is every 30 mins now isn't it. If you want to see what SCT is really like take the LIRR to get out here then pick your route and start riding em yourself the numbers only tell you so much. I can tell the 2001 numbers right now are completely obsolete right now and are not a good indication of current ridership levels.

Many routes need MORE service!!!!!!! And don't forget their new clipper route. The lines are NOT as empty as the report leads you to believe. Plus SCT has one of the lowest operating costs in the NYC metro area due to their contracts with multiple operators. Try S60,S59/57 you will see what CRUSHED looks like you will know how bad buses can get there once you try em.

Missing the point....

It's not the total route length mileage that'd be the issue.... it's the mileage (and the time addition) of the diversion such a route merge would create..... You aint gon get folks coming from Sunrise (or GSB, for the matter) willing to put up with about a 5 mile (~ 30 min) diversion before reaching LIRR Babylon, where the major connections are at....

All I'm goin say is.... Let the north babylon folks remain having their shuttle to the RR @ LIRR Babylon.

Plus they added new lines since then the S76 and they extended lines after 2001 like S66,S58 and later evening service on S92 to name a few of the improvements since then I know cause I have a 1998 bus map and a 2010 map to compare so you can see the differences it's like night and day plus don't forget the gas prices of 2008 times have changed. S61 also I believe got an enhancement as I don't remember it being every 30 mins a few years ago. But it is every 30 mins now isn't it. If you want to see what SCT is really like take the LIRR to get out here then pick your route and start riding em yourself the numbers only tell you so much. I can tell the 2001 numbers right now are completely obsolete right now and are not a good indication of current ridership levels.

Many routes need MORE service!!!!!!! And don't forget their new clipper route. The lines are NOT as empty as the report leads you to believe. Plus SCT has one of the lowest operating costs in the NYC metro area due to their contracts with multiple operators. Try S60,S59/57 you will see what CRUSHED looks like you will know how bad buses can get there once you try em.

This might be one of the best posts you ever made on this forum.

Over about the last week and an half, the S68 both morning and afternoon has been running on time heading to/from Center Moriches has been ON TIME, with the exception of one afternoon coming from Center Moriches.

So what was done to IMPROVE matters on that route for the last "week and a half" ?

Serious question.

S58, S62, S66.... lol... you're missing the point, champ....

It's not the total route length mileage that'd be the issue.... it's the mileage of the diversion such a route merge would create..... You aint gon get folks coming from Sunrise (or GSB, for the matter) willing to put up with about a 5 mile (~ 30 min) diversion before reaching LIRR Babylon, where the major connections are at.....

All I'm going to say is.... Let the north babylon folks remain having their shuttle to the RR @ LIRR Babylon.

So what was done to IMPROVE matters on that route for the last "week and a half" ?

Serious question.

I think either the operator changed for the route OR better supervision of the line thus enhancing on time performance plus look at it's schedule it's quite infrequent!!!!!!! It is sometimes every 2 hours or 2.5 hours at certain times of day according to the schedule.

Request to whom? The County? And I'm still scared to send that NJT request because NJT's OPRA form appears to be worded in such a way that all requests are answered in paper form and require payment.

Is the County the one that operates the routes or is it a seperate division (e.g. The City of NY doesn't operate NYCT, the MTA does)

Missing the point....

It's not the total route length mileage that'd be the issue.... it's the mileage (and the time addition) of the diversion such a route merge would create..... You aint gon get folks coming from Sunrise (or GSB, for the matter) willing to put up with about a 5 mile (~ 30 min) diversion before reaching LIRR Babylon, where the major connections are at....

All I'm goin say is.... Let the north babylon folks remain having their shuttle to the RR @ LIRR Babylon.

That wasn't what I was suggesting, though. The S20 would go to Babylon and then go up Park Avenue and serve North Babylon (I guess there'd have to be a terminal by Essex Street or something, unless the route were to be extended to the Wyandanch LIRR station). Going back, the route would serve the Babylon LIRR station and then take the S20 route back to the Sunrise Mall.

So the only people who'd have to sit through a diversion would be riders from North Babylon going to the GSB, but they'd be balanced out by riders going from North Babylon to Babylon, who would have a shorter trip by not having to loop through the GSB.

To me, it still looks kind of crappy. I mean, I think the S1, S40, S45 and S69 (which runs evenings only) are the only routes with anything that even resembles evening service, and it's pathetic how there is no Sunday service except on the S47 (because I think the S92 and 10C only had it for the summer, but they're still charging the riders $2 as if they're still giving them Sunday service).

But hey, at least service is improving, slowly but surely.

Archived