Jamaica-Montauk by local bus

Eric B

I think either the operator changed for the route OR better supervision of the line thus enhancing on time performance plus look at it's schedule it's quite infrequent!!!!!!! It is sometimes every 2 hours or 2.5 hours at certain times of day according to the schedule.

yeh, I remember that route to have a tendency to run very erratic..... too bad for ctr. moriches as far as bus service goes, b/c the 90 is worse than the 68 ! damn the schedule, those buses (90's) come whenever they want to - Typical of HJ's routes...

anyway, well mac is the SCT expert around here, so I'll see what he has to say.....

That wasn't what I was suggesting, though. The S20 would go to Babylon and then go up Park Avenue and serve North Babylon (I guess there'd have to be a terminal by Essex Street or something, unless the route were to be extended to the Wyandanch LIRR station). Going back, the route would serve the Babylon LIRR station and then take the S20 route back to the Sunrise Mall.

So the only people who'd have to sit through a diversion would be riders from North Babylon going to the GSB, but they'd be balanced out by riders going from North Babylon to Babylon, who would have a shorter trip by not having to loop through the GSB.

Well you never made it clear.....

Either way, it aint worth it.

yeh, I remember that route to have a tendency to run very erratic..... too bad for ctr. moriches as far as bus service goes, b/c the 90 is worse than the 68 ! damn the schedule, those buses (90's) come whenever they want to - Typical of HJ's routes...

anyway, well mac is the SCT expert around here, so I'll see what he has to say.....

I have many SCT schedules downloaded on my laptop I know their schedule and how bad it is there I used many of em at certain points.

Ohh S90 is actually sometimes every 3 hours so it feels like it comes when it wants which isn't really the case. It's just infrequent. It's more due to infrequency than unreliability. To tell the truth it only has 4 trips a day!!!!! Don't believe me look at this disaster of a schedule http://sct-bus.org/links/schedules/s90.pdf

due to one diviating for a shorter trip it's really just 3 trips on the line. So technically it's worse than S68 for frequency.

Plus look at the areas S90 serves what does S90 actually serve anyway? Have you seen how empty those areas can get? Also S90 has one bullshit short turn that is very useless so it's 5 trips BUT only 4 of em are actual trips cause that 5th short trip is ****** USELESS!!!! I think the Short turn 1st trip and last are DH runs to garage pretending to be shortturns in revenue.

You are better off pretending to use Jitney westhampton line to NYC then run at the last transfer point to get to other buses before it goes to NY.

Want to know what S68 is like here is why it sucks http://sct-bus.org/links/schedules/S66.pdf !!! Check the S68 part of it and you will know why you thought it was erratic it's infrequent more so than unreliable.

I have many SCT schedules downloaded on my laptop I know their schedule and how bad it is there I used many of em at certain points.

Ohh S90 is actually sometimes every 3 hours so it feels like it comes when it wants which isn't really the case. It's just infrequent. It's more due to infrequency than unreliability. To tell the truth it only has 4 trips a day!!!!! Don't believe me look at this disaster of a schedule http://sct-bus.org/links/schedules/s90.pdf

due to one diviating for a shorter trip it's really just 3 trips on the line. So technically it's worse than S68 for frequency.

Plus look at the areas S90 serves what does S90 actually serve anyway? Have you seen how empty those areas can get? Also S90 has one bullshit short turn that is very useless so it's 5 trips BUT only 4 of em are actual trips cause that 5th short trip is ****** USELESS!!!! I think the Short turn 1st trip and last are DH runs to garage pretending to be shortturns in revenue.

You are better off pretending to use Jitney westhampton line to NYC then run at the last transfer point to get to other buses before it goes to NY.

Want to know what S68 is like here is why it sucks http://sct-bus.org/links/schedules/S66.pdf !!! Check the S68 part of it and you will know why you thought it was erratic it's infrequent more so than unreliable.

lol @ S90 commentary...

Cool... but printed schedules say one thing, what goes on on the blacktop says another.....

To be honest with you, I'm more interested in the latter....

Furthermore, I'm not sure why you've blurted all of this out to me... It aint about disbelieving you (in this particular case, anyway)....

All I'm sayin is that I want to hear mac's opinion on this....

lol @ S90 commentary...

Cool... but printed schedules say one thing, what goes on on the blacktop says another.....

To be honest with you, I'm more interested in the latter....

Furthermore, I'm not sure why you've blurted all of this out to me... It aint about disbelieving you (in this particular case, anyway)....

All I'm sayin is that I want to hear mac's opinion on this....

All he will tell you is the same thing I just said but reworded!!! This is all due to the schedule infrequency NOT reliability. You aren't gonna get anything different from him since he is good with SCT routes he will basically tell you the same thing I just told you. The service is poor so it feels like it runs when it wants that isn't the case. Any line with 4 trips would feel like it runs when it wants. So go ahead and wait for his answer he will simply go ditto what he said.

Ohh FYI when I went out there the scheduled S90 was ON-TIME!!!!! Luckily I didn't need it. I sometimes see S68 mac said it's ontime. Meaning you simply arrived there at times when S68 wasn't scheduled to arrive that's all.

All he will tell you is the same thing I just said but reworded!!! This is all due to the schedule infrequency NOT reliability.

You aren't gonna get anything different from him since he is good with SCT routes he will basically tell you the same thing I just told you. The service is poor so it feels like it runs when it wants that isn't the case. Any line with 4 trips would feel like it runs when it wants.

So go ahead and wait for his answer he will simply go ditto what he said.

"so go ahead and wait for his answer"....

lmao @ you gettin all butthurt.... and nice try at puttin yourself in the same light as the man....

Regardless if he says ditto, I value his opinion over yours..... even if it is a "ditto"

Point blank period.... Catch feelings over that too if you want !

I know you do But I am not telling you my opinion I am telling you facts about SCT that is simply how it is man. Come back out there then time yourself for those routes and you will get to use em. Again he will simply tell you the same thing.

If you know I do, and regardless if he'll tell me the same thing or not....

Then stand down and let me hear it from him then.

He's his own man.

Is that too much to ask ?

S61 also I believe got an enhancement as I don't remember it being every 30 mins a few years ago.

Dude the S61 has 30 min service during the Morning and Evening rush hours ONLY, its hourly service in between and on Saturdays and its been that way for YEARS. I know because I took the S61 when I was younger and my Grandmother had to take the S61 to Patchouge to visit before she wasn't able to take buses anymore.

Is the County the one that operates the routes or is it a seperate division

To me, it still looks kind of crappy. I mean, I think the S1, S40, S45 and S69 (which runs evenings only) are the only routes with anything that even resembles evening service, and it's pathetic how there is no Sunday service except on the S47 (because I think the S92 and 10C only had it for the summer, but they're still charging the riders $2 as if they're still giving them Sunday service).

But hey, at least service is improving, slowly but surely.

The County owns all the routes and buses, they contract out to different bus companies to operate and maintain the buses.

At the start of SCT in 1981 there were about eleven different companies, over the years it got trimmed down to the current six companies, and starting next year there will be only four.

The Sunday Service was a trial program which I believe had some success, they are still charging the $2.00 so they can build up the money to start run Sunday Service on those two lines again, hopefully more permanently sometime in the future.

So what was done to IMPROVE matters on that route for the last "week and a half" ?

Serious question.

You mean other then Me being able to see it for a week and a half, nothing.

The S68 normally when I see it has a very strong on time percentage. It has a stronger on time percentage then any of the S66's I normally see.

On an unrelated matter, a S68 driver was fired last month for stealing the fares, I'm not sure how long that driver has doing the route to say if that had anything to do with the on time percentage or not. I'll PM you after I double check with a friend that know more about the fired driver.

Archived