Queens Highline Concept Revived

redge

This is a railroad thread at best: Harry, Lance?

More to the point, the line was closed as an active railroad line but never legaly abandonded. No one ever filed with the government to do so. Legally the MTA has every right to go in there with saws, get rid of the trees, and run trains on it without having to ask.

The membership of this board, myself incudled, is of the general oppinon that the line should be returned to active service with some form of rail transit. I myself am in the "Heavy Rail" camp.

yea, that high line park should have been a new 10th avenue EL and could have been saved for use by the (7) extension.

its an idea, but like with the high line in manhattan wouldnt it have been better if they could explore adding some sort of train service to the line first before loosing these railway ROWs forever.
They did explore that, but it seems the people in the area don't want trains, in part, because people cross the line to get to ball courts, or something like that, plus, it just creates a wall in the neighborhood. So I guess a new high line would fit the people's wishes, and it's certainly better than nothing, or demolition of the line from decay, hazards, etc.

screw it. queens has enough parks and not enough rails. This hould be a trans-queens light rail.

err rails for trails literally is the dumbest idea known to mankind. ok how would this line get alot of ridership? If it's stations become accessible then goodbye QM17. I say create a spur to allow trains to reach the triborough ROW to go the bronx with new stations at parkchester and co-op city regular new haven trains will not stop there only trans queens cross town trains will go there. There needs to be a switch from woodside to bronx but that is my opinion there are enough trains to manhattan.

not gonna lie nobody is gonna use LIRR to rockaways via rockaway beach let the park be done. The 10th ave elevated park however should be cut down and obliterated and then used for the (7) extension.

Who said no ones gonna use it? People would use it if its not under LIRR. Maybe NYCT.

They may as well run a light rail service there or a Diesel LRT, like the NJT Riverline runs.

It links to the LIRR ML west of Forest Hills. Id even have the light rail run from the Rockaways then along the LIRR and run it all the way to Queens Village (or further towards the city line), since there is no Subway service over there (Except the (E)(F)(J)(Z), but thats Jamaica).

If they wanna have a Rail and Park at the same time there, then they'd have to put some barrier there to keep people off the track bed.

Archived