Museum buses to run

INDman

Just heard from a friend that the museum buses are to run on 42nd St starting next Monday, there are Quill right now. I thought people hear might be interested. Apparently enough people complained that the museum train was running and the buses were not.

You know how the MTA is! As far as I'm concerned the information about the buses NOT running was a rumor as well.

Agreed. While I didnt have any doubt about these buses making runs this year, I figured it would just be two buses for this year, but four? You know they are trying to do some justice to keep people happy!

I have no idea what lines the buses will run other then they will start Monday. The only thing I was told was that they are doing this because people complained that the museum train was running so why are the buses not running. The offical museum bus program is still dead (as far as a I know). All I know is that there were no plans to run the buses until recently. Now if I had know people would be d*cks about this saying "well this is why I never said anything", I would not have wasted time posying thins.

I have no idea what lines the buses will run other then they will start Monday. The only thing I was told was that they are doing this because people complained that the museum train was running so why are the buses not running. The offical museum bus program is still dead (as far as a I know). All I know is that there were no plans to run the buses until recently. Now if I had know people would be d*cks about this saying "well this is why I never said anything", I would not have wasted time posying thins.

If I wasn't a ****, then I wouldn't be me! 100% REAL, 24/7/366 on a leap.B)

But seriously.... I was being a ****. I thought the program was dead too. But one certain person told me not to count it out. So I didn't....

Read the thread, I said I don't know and no one else has chimed in. I would guess the M42 or M34, but that's just a guess.

I'm thinking M42. With what happened last year with those buses shitting on themselves, I dont think they'll stress out the buses on the Crosstowns or the other routes along the way

I'm thinking M42. With what happened last year with those buses shitting on themselves, I dont think they'll stress out the buses on the Crosstowns or the other routes along the way

I'd go with the M42 also, but the M34 is another big crosstown line. Now if only hey would bring in drivers who want to work those buses like they do on the museum train.

I'd go with the M42 also, but the M34 is another big crosstown line. Now if only hey would bring in drivers who want to work those buses like they do on the museum train.

I'd also think that, but with the M34 being a +SelectBusService+ route, I can't see that happening. But never say never!

Quill operators are the only ones willing to drive the buses. When Kingsbridge got their bus over those weeks, they never saw light and if they did, they broke down on that hill on the Bx7. Which ultimately made the M42 and 34 last year being the two routes with the operators that were willing to drive those buses.

What exactly happened last year? Were they breaking down or something? I never heard anything about that, but then this year, the first reports that they wouldn't be running, it was said that last year's program had turned out so badly.

What exactly happened last year? Were they breaking down or something? I never heard anything about that, but then this year, the first reports that they wouldn't be running, it was said that last year's program had turned out so badly.

They've broken down a lot in the other boroughs quite a few times last year, some wouldnt even start up. The only depots that were capable of operating them were Gun Hill, East New York & Michael J. Quill. Operators in Yukon and in K.B didn't want to operate those buses fearing that they'd break down quickly.

They've broken down a lot in the other boroughs quite a few times last year, some wouldnt even start up. The only depots that were capable of operating them were Gun Hill, East New York & Michael J. Quill. Operators in Yukon and in K.B didn't want to operate those buses fearing that they'd break down quickly.

Last yeah, they had too many irons in the fire. I give them a 10 for the project concept, and a 2 for the execution.

There were many issues. However, the buses breaking down should have been the least of their worries. You should always prepare for unscheduled maintenance. Especially on a vintage fleet. The windshield wiper didn't work on one bus, and it was some thing about a light on one, and something minor on another one.

They should gave given all the buses a slightly better maintenance check to prepare them for service.

Next, they should have asked which operators wanted to volunteer and drive them.

This way, the citywide vintage program would have worked. It wasn't coordinated the way it should have been, and they definitely should not have anticipated that EVERY driver would have no problem taking them out on the roads. Especially if they aren't veteran TA/OA/BC employees. Most newbies don't want a vehicle that doesn't have power steering. Others are only with MTA for the check, so they couldn't care less if the buses go out, and don't want to be inconvenienced in the process.

It needs to be a citywide event. Not just Midtown Manhattan, and not just OA. It just needs to be coordinated much better though. They need to have drivers lined up that want the buses, and run them on key routes that the buses can handle. The Vintage Train and Bus program is one of the highlights of the Christmas/holiday season. It needs to continue! It's original, and it's clearly a winner!

Last yeah, they had too many irons in the fire. I give them a 10 for the project concept, and a 2 for the execution.

There were many issues. However, the buses breaking down should have been the least of their worries. You should always prepare for unscheduled maintenance. Especially on a vintage fleet. The windshield wiper didn't work on one bus, and it was some thing about a light on one, and something minor on another one.

They should gave given all the buses a slightly better maintenance check to prepare them for service.

Next, they should have asked which operators wanted to volunteer and drive them.

This way, the citywide vintage program would have worked. It wasn't coordinated the way it should have been, and they definitely should not have anticipated that EVERY driver would have no problem taking them out on the roads. Especially if they aren't veteran TA/OA/BC employees. Most newbies don't want a vehicle that doesn't have power steering. Others are only with MTA for the check, so they couldn't care less if the buses go out, and don't want to be inconvenienced in the process.

It needs to be a citywide event. Not just Midtown Manhattan, and not just OA. It just needs to be coordinated much better though. They need to have drivers lined up that want the buses, and run them on key routes that the buses can handle. The Vintage Train and Bus program is one of the highlights of the Christmas/holiday season. It needs to continue! It's original, and it's clearly a winner!

I agree, but throw these buses on routes that stresses out buses the least.

The two best runs imo from last year were MTABC's appearance with the Fishbowl & the MCI Classic because they ran with little to no problems at all!

the problem I find with having em spread out on multiple routes is how do you know when its going to come without having to hang out all day along the route trying to find it. If they put em all on one or two centralized but short routes it would be easier for people to see all the classic buses.

Just heard from a friend that the museum buses are to run on 42nd St starting next Monday, there are Quill right now. I thought people hear might be interested. Apparently enough people complained that the museum train was running and the buses were not.

That is FANTASTIC news! I am very happy to hear of it ;)

I just hope they'll be running thru at least the 23rd/Friday. I'm going to be busy next couple of weeks, but would love to ride the buses.

the problem I find with having em spread out on multiple routes is how do you know when its going to come without having to hang out all day along the route trying to find it. If they put em all on one or two centralized but short routes it would be easier for people to see all the classic buses.

Exactly my point with last year. Too many routes and too many locations. too hard to find and uneven terrain. At least 42nd or Manhattan crosstown routes are 'level' and close to a major depot to get repairs if they do break down.

=

I am kinda bummed 5227 [fishbowl] isn't there.

If the Vintage buses were to run then does anybody have a hunch or even know the time(s) of day they would run?

When I talked to the B/O on the vintage buses today he informed me that the buses will run in the morning starting at 7:30am or 8:00am for it's morning run. Then run again around 11:30am, 1:00pm. Today it ran in the afternoon after 3:00pm for one round trip.

so what route and what days/times?

The Vintage buses will only run on the (M42) during every weekday until the last Friday before New Years. Other vintage buses will be showcased alongside 34th Street every weekday until the last Friday before New Years in front of Macy's and across the street from the Empire State Building at 34th Street and 5th Avenue. The buses will be parked between 8:00am-4:45pm.

Archived