Gunfire erupts on D Train in Harlem

trainspot12

Courtesy WCBS New York

A man was taken to the hospital Friday after being shot by an off-duty police officer at the 125th Street Station in Harlem.

According to authorities, a 14-year-old girl told her mother she had been groped. Her mother yelled for police and a 19-year veteran off-duty officer approached the mother and daughter, identified himself as a police officer and was assisting them.

As he was obtaining information from them, another woman approached the officer and said that she, too, had been groped by the same man, according to police spokesman Paul J. Browne.

The officer then took the stairway from the main mezzanine to the uptown D platform at 125th Street and St. Nicholas Avenue looking for the suspect.

As the officer was on his way to confront the suspect, he asked the teen’s mother to go back upstairs, as reception down there is nonexistent, and tell 911 an officer needed assistance making an arrest, reports CBS 2′s Pablo Guzman.

The officer then tried to arrest the 22-year-old man, and a scuffle ensued, police said. A round was discharged from the officer’s gun and the suspect was shot in the torso, Browne said.

The man was taken to Harlem Hospital, where he is listed in serious but stable condition. The officer was taken to the hospital for trauma. None of the women involved were injured.

Changed thread title and story link to reflect correct information.

Lance.

I'm not trying to sound like an ass or anything, but when doesnt shit hit the fan on the (A)? Every now and then when I commute home, there's at least a fight or two on my (A) train to Lefferts. It's one of the main reasons why I steered away and diverted myself to Jamaica for the LIRR or the (E).

At the risk of starting up the whole gun issue again: I totally agree. Thugs are always going to find a way to get a gun by any means. All tougher gun laws do is make the law abiding citizen jump through endless political hoops to obtain a gun LEGALLY.

I understand the need for background checks and all, but at what point does it get so absurd to apply for a legal permit while the perp can just 'waltz' into a city with an illegal gun and just shoot at whomever they can before they are caught?

In short: gun laws don't help anyone and they still don't get ILLEGAL guns off the streets.

I understand the need for background checks and all, but at what point does it get so absurd to apply for a legal permit while the perp can just 'waltz' into a city with an illegal gun and just shoot at whomever they can before they are caught?

In NYC, the process of getting a pistol license takes up to a year. It's almost always longer than six months. In addition to the wait for the license, you must receive authorization for each pistol you wish to buy.

Last time there was a shooting in ENY, did anyone get the shooters pistol license number? LOL

I think guns should just be banned to everyone except the army, and etc. Normal civilians shouldn't carry them.

I think free speech should be banned for everyone except politicians. Normal civilians shouldn't have a voice.

First the Fire at Franklin Ave(messed up my commute to school), now gunshots what's next a train derailment?;)

Yeah the "Polar Express" in upstate NY derailed also.

I think guns should just be banned to everyone except the army, and etc. Normal civilians shouldn't carry them.

Throughout history there are numerous examples of how the disarming of the citizens led to dictatorships, oppression, enslavement. Normal civilians should always be prepared to prevent goverment from over stepping its bounds. And the only person shooting on the train was an off duty police officer, shooting at an unarmed civilian for copping a feel (which deserves a NYC beatdown) not endangerment of other subway riders.

In NYC, the process of getting a pistol license takes up to a year. It's almost always longer than six months. In addition to the wait for the license, you must receive authorization for each pistol you wish to buy.

Last time there was a shooting in ENY, did anyone get the shooters pistol license number? LOL

Yup, total truth. The 'gangstas' have no shortage of guns. Why should I, a law abiding citizen, be forced to be put on a 1+yr wait list while thugs like that have like 7+ guns all unaccounted for?

Cops are not everywhere, all it takes is one thug with one gun and it's all over. I'd rather have something to fight back with to defend myself. I'd rather the thug be 6ft under than me.

I think free speech should be banned for everyone except politicians. Normal civilians shouldn't have a voice.

lol!

Cops are not everywhere, all it takes is one thug with one gun and it's all over. I'd rather have something to fight back with to defend myself. I'd rather the thug be 6ft under than me.

"It's better to be judged by twelve than carried by six."

Courts have previously ruled that the police have no duty to protect individuals. You're on your own and they took your weapon away. I love liberals.

lol!

I'm not kidding. Why does a commoner need the right to say whatever they want?

Exactly, we can't defend ourselves anymore. IF we do, the 'victim's' families will try to sue us [in general] for it. In a jury, I question the mentality of some people and how they'd be more sympathetic for the 'victim' over the person just trying to defend him/herself. We just can't win these days.

No, I totally agree with you on that 2nd part, it's just gotten that bad that the only thing we can do is 'laugh' and I don't mean the joyous kind. I mean the laugh till you cry type.

In NYC, the concept of "self-defense" is dead and buried. Bloomberg wants a city population that is entirely dependent on him. Take the time that he called the NYPD "his army". Look at the current state of pistol (and even long gun) licensing in NYC. To really give yourself angina, consider the attitude of the city government towards its subjects.

It's really sickening. Hell, if anything, Bloomberg could benefit from increased crime rates: he's put the NYPD as the only thing between "evil thugs" and the people. If you wish to own a gun in NYC, you are showing Bloomberg that you don't need him to survive; and he does not like that one bit.

From Eyewitness News (WABC):

HARLEM (WABC) -- Gunfire wounded a man on a subway train in Harlem this afternoon.

The gunfire erupted on an A train at the 125 Street station just after 12:30 p.m.

One man was shot in the back. He was taken to Harlem Hospital in unknown condition.

No word of any arrests.

A, B, C & D subway trains are bypassing the 125th Street Station.

Because of the police activity, Uptown A, B, C & D subway trains are bypassing the 125 Street station. Uptown A & D subway trains are running local from 59 Street to 145 Street.

Shots fired on subway in Harlem | 7online.com

First we had gunfire on the bus, now on the subway. This is why we need tougher gun control laws.

Typical opening statement to panic people. First they say it happend on a TRAIN, where the riders could have no way out, to a PLATFORM where there is an escape.

Irresponsible journalism if you ask me.

man I hate the (A) the (A) stands for (A)nimals,(A)nnoying fools,********,(A)sshole line. (A)mazing shit God the (A) is the most hated line which one can be worse? the (A)nnoying beggers.

Some folk...:eek:

The accident wasn't on the (A) train, once again the thread creator simply relied on the wrong info. It was on the (D) train. Since it was on a (D) line, what will you call it? I'm curious.

Doesn't matter if it happens on the (A), the (D) or the (7), gunshots can happen anywhere. So let's not all get crazy whether this happened on one train line or another. This could have happened on Queens, The Bronx, Brooklyn, or Staten Island.

Doesn't matter if it happens on the (A), the (D) or the (7), gunshots can happen anywhere. So let's not all get crazy whether this happened on one train line or another. This could have happened on Queens, The Bronx, Brooklyn, or Staten Island.

Oh cut the bull crap and political correctness. We all know that there's certain areas that have a much higher probability of gun shots going off than others. Don't believe me? Go take a look at the statistics.

Archived