x22 Super Express coming next month

Amtrak7

I was referring to the things he pointed out in his post which I didn't feel like having to re-type, but here it goes: "You can't blame a bus for taking forever if that bus not only has to deal with other drivers on the street, but traffic lights, passengers requesting stops, not having their metrocard ready, wheelchairs, bringing huge bags on the bus holding things up and the occasional argument on the bus."). Of course they're different. No question about it.

Right, except when you put two different routes with two entirely different purposes, flaws and other facts into a debate, it kinda kills your logic because one route operates differently from another if you catch my drift.

Or in other words, its the QJT state of mind....

What would be the best comparison at least in my opinion, the S79 and the Q60 in terms of length and trouble spots along the line.

Right, except when you put two different routes with two entirely different purposes, flaws and other facts into a debate, it kinda kills your logic because one route operates differently from another if you catch my drift.

Yeah, but that's obvious. My logic was coming from his argument. He argued that SBS would be on lines with 4-6 lanes, which last I checked doesn't really exist on the M34. There's 2 lanes on each side unless, he means 4 lanes total, which wasn't clear.

I said that a route that runs on a 4-6 lane road is more likely to get SBS. Think about it, with a road with more than one driving lane each direction, that means it would lessen the need for a curbside bus lane which in effect would save the parking spaces of the residents in that area.

P.S, when I or anything including the drivers manual says 4 lane road, it does mean two-by-two.

I said that a route that runs on a 4-6 lane road is more likely to get SBS. Think about it, with a road with more than one driving lane each direction, that means it would lessen the need for a curbside bus lane which in effect would save the parking spaces of the residents in that area.

Well we've already had this discussion about SBS on the S53 in other threads and I said if anything a modified version of it would have to apply if it were to be put on the S53 because of the narrow roads and such, but you're the only one thus far that has adamantly argued about not even having a limited stop bus on the S53 which is completely egregious.

And that limited will probably only make 8 stops throughout the entire route which will be at the stops most and in some cases ALL people get off at leaving the locals to be completely empty.

Wrong. I proposed an S83 to the (MTA) a few months ago at one of their board meetings. I have to look for the proposal again to see if I can find it and if I do I'll post them.

----

Just found this in an e-mail I sent to some of the lovely folks at the (MTA):

S83 Limited Stop Service: Port Richmond to Bay Ridge

All local stops to Forest Avenue then the following limited stops:

-Clove Rd & Bement Ave

-Clove Rd & Victory Blvd

-Clove Rd & Howard Avenue

-Clove Rd & Richmond Rd (no stop at Clove Rd & Targee St)

-Grasmere Station

-Clove Rd & Hylan Blvd

-Sand Lane & McLean Avenue

-Lily Pond Ave & McLean Avenue

-Ft. Hamilton Pkwy & 92nd St

-Ft. Hamilton Pkwy & 86th St

-5th Ave & 86th St

-4th Ave & 86th St

S83 Limited Stop Service: Bay Ridge to Port Richmond

Makes the following stops in Brooklyn after 4th Ave & 86th St:

-4th Ave & 90th St

-92nd St & Ft. Hamilton Pkwy

Makes the following stops in Staten Island:

-Lily Pond Ave & McLean Avenue

-Sand Lane & McLean Avenue

-Clove Rd & Hylan Blvd

-Grasmere Station

-Clove Rd & Targee St

-Narrows Rd North & Richmond Rd

-Clove Rd & Howard Avenue

-Clove Rd & Victory Blvd

-Clove Rd & Bement Ave

-Broadway & Forest Ave

All local stops thereafter

The funny part is, those tend to be the main places people get off/on at anyway, I'm lucky to see people boarding between them.

Yeah and that's the point of the limited. Believe me. You will have plenty of folks still using the local buses because people are too lazy to walk and when I use the S53 it makes all of those little stupid stops in between :mad:, which is why it takes so long aside from the other things you mentioned before.

Simple. If they're going to argue that they want to speed up the S79 then what about the S53? It's terribly slow and the ride is supposed to take 34 minutes from end to end and you can easily spend 40 minutes just going from the stop near Forest & Broadway to Hylan & Clove, so when you factor in the amount of riders and how slow the route is, it would be a perfect candidate for SBS.

Yeah, it takes 34 minutes in the middle of the night (from like 0:00 to 05:00). Look at the schedule again. The runtime in the middle of the day is close to an hour.

Oh really "Mr. Daily rider" who lives in Brooklyn?? Well I live a skip and a hop away from it (can see them down the street from the house) and have been using it for years at all times of day and night, so no I'm not exaggerating. I know what I'm talking about. Yeah they're generally reliable, but they make way too many stops and they can bunch up at times. My point is that if they're not going to make the S79 SBS then have the S53 be SBS or at least give it limited stops.

There are other folks on here that use the S53 and it's funny how they all agree with me that the S53 should have at least limited stop service. The point of putting SBS out there is that it could be federally funded, so why not give the route SBS if they're not going to use it on the S79? It would be a huge benefit for the route which continues to grow in terms of ridership and is the busiest line on the island and would cost the (MTA) next to nothing to implement.

No, he's not from Brooklyn. He's from my area, and it says so in his profile (Graniteville).

And like I said, I would support a limited for the S53, but definitely not +SBS+. The roads are way too narrow and it doesn't have the high frequency needed for +SBS+.

The M34 is a crosstown route in manhattan, that was EXPECTED. I also don't end my commute at 86, the 53 is sandwiched between the two others I have to take. And both times I take the bus, Its crowded and both times that bus moves extremely fast since its mostly just picking up people on its way to BK and the opposite on the way back. And why do you listen to that friggin travel time thing? The only thing correct on those boxes is the schedule and the map. And the 79 will happen, they will make whatever changes needed, but it will happen.

Let me guess. You take the S48 to reach the S53, and then take the B1 in Brooklyn.

And that limited will probably only make 8 stops throughout the entire route which will be at the stops most and in some cases ALL people get off at leaving the locals to be completely empty.

No because the limiteds wouldn't run that frequently. Under my plan, there's be a local and limited every 15 minutes each during rush hour, and during middays, the limited would run every 20 minutes, so the locals would still see decent ridership.

And the thing that can make it slow is when there's only one person at the stop, but they take their sweet time getting on and off. This happens a lot along McClean Avenue and sometimes along Broadway as well.

Yeah, it takes 34 minutes in the middle of the night (from like 0:00 to 05:00). Look at the schedule again. The runtime in the middle of the day is close to an hour.

Even so, the schedule says 16 -19 minutes from Bway & Forest to Hylan & Clove and it's taken almost 40 minutes at times to do that same connection, which is ridiculous. SIR North has also attested to this so I am certainly not making this up. There is no way that I would take a bus that would take 40 minutes to get to the express bus on Hylan Blvd when I can take car service and be there in 10 - 15 minutes.

No, he's not from Brooklyn. He's from my area, and it says so in his profile (Graniteville).

Uh, no, he is so from Brooklyn. :) He changed that detail after I mentioned that his profile said he was from Brooklyn. His current location is Staten Island now that he's updated it after I made my post and he himself said that he just moved here about a year or so.

And like I said, I would support a limited for the S53, but definitely not +SBS+. The roads are way too narrow and it doesn't have the high frequency needed for +SBS+.

And I said before a modified version of SBS could work. I don't see how the S79 can have the high frequency needed for SBS either and it certainly doesn't have the same ridership that the S53 does, so that argument doesn't wash with me one bit.

And the thing that can make it slow is when there's only one person at the stop, but they take their sweet time getting on and off. This happens a lot along McClean Avenue and sometimes along Broadway as well.

That's exactly what it makes it slow. :mad: Having to stop at every stop for one or two people that either don't have their Metrocards ready or take their sweet time and then there are the jerks that wait until the last minute to get off and further hold us up or the baby strollers in the middle of the aisle not folded up of course. B)

Soooo.... What does this all mean for the x22.....

I mean, here we have a route that had all its service pan from Midtown to Page/Hylan in Tottenville..... Earlier on in the year, a couple of runs no longer serve Tottenville, and instead, come to end at the park & ride..... Also within that service change, you have some runs that serve the park & ride en route to page/hylan; a combination....

Now we're (basically) gonna hava an express bus that acts like a LTD within the outerboro it serves...

I call this one big cup of "fixing what aint broken"..... Instead of riders waiting at a bus stop waiting for any x22 to arrive, now they'll have to wait for a "particular" x22.... Evidence of this is already happening w/ the buses that only serve the park & ride..... It's one thing if you see an express bus in the distance along 42nd st, and thinking about if it's a 17J, 30, or 31.... Now you have to worry about, will this be a 22 that I'll have to wave off.... This should not be happening when you're talking about commuting on the x22 (or any express bus for the matter).....

I'm starting to categorize these x22 changes as, creating more problems than what previously was..... The ridership is already "established" down there; no matter what you do, you aint goin get anymore Tottenville patrons willing to take x22's (all assuming this is an attempt to lure more riders into wanting to taking the express, by selling the idea that commuting time will be decreased with these particular "super express" x22 runs....).... Splitting up the overall/total x22 ridership b/w different buses (running differing service patterns, that is) doesn't solve much of anything.....

I say revert it back to the way it was......

I mean, here we have a route that had all its service pan from Midtown to Page/Hylan in Tottenville..... Earlier on in the year, a couple of runs no longer serve Tottenville, and instead, come to end at the park & ride..... Also within that service change, you have some runs that serve the park & ride en route to page/hylan; a combination....

Now we're (basically) gonna hava an express bus that acts like a LTD within the outerboro it serves...

I call this one big cup of "fixing what aint broken"..... Instead of riders waiting at a bus stop waiting for any x22 to arrive, now they'll have to wait for a "particular" x22.... Evidence of this is already happening w/ the buses that only serve the park & ride..... It's one thing if you see an express bus in the distance along 42nd st, and thinking about if it's a 17J, 30, or 31.... Now you have to worry about, will this be a 22 that I'll have to wave off.... This should not be happening when you're talking about commuting on the x22 (or any express bus for the matter).....

I'm starting to categorize these x22 changes as, creating more problems than what previously was..... The ridership is already "established" down there; no matter what you do, you aint goin get anymore Tottenville patrons willing to take x22's (all assuming this is an attempt to lure more riders into wanting to taking the express, by selling the idea that commuting time will be decreased with these particular "super express" x22 runs....).... Splitting up the overall/total x22 ridership b/w different buses (running differing service patterns, that is) doesn't solve much of anything.....

I say revert it back to the way it was......

Quite frankly this wouldn't have happened if the community didn't want it down there. I know how Vinny (Vincent Ignizio) operates and he's been representing the South Shore for years and he wouldn't have pushed for this if the community didn't want it. The complaint had been that #1 the X22 was unreliable and #2 the commute was long even when they were reliable. He's been pushing for fast ferries from the South Shore and that hasn't happened yet, so I can see why he pushed to have this go through. Folks on the South Shore would like to have a commute that is an hour or less (say 45 minutes) and this option gives them that chance.

As for your argument about reverting it back to what it was, we already have that here on Staten Island and Brooklyn. You have Super Expresses on the BM1 - BM4 and the X17A, X17C and X17J amongst others. You also have to remember that they're trying to consolidate for the lost private bus service as well because folks were saying that the X22s were also overcrowded since they lost the private bus, so this is why this was done and I actually agree with it. I think it's the best scenario you can get considering the economic times right now.

Quite frankly this wouldn't have happened if the community didn't want it down there. I know how Vinny (Vincent Ignizio) operates and he's been representing the South Shore for years and he wouldn't have pushed for this if the community didn't want it. The complaint had been that #1 the X22 was unreliable and #2 the commute was long even when they were reliable. He's been pushing for fast ferries from the South Shore and that hasn't happened yet, so I can see why he pushed to have this go through. Folks on the South Shore would like to have a commute that is an hour or less (say 45 minutes) and this option gives them that chance.

As for your argument about reverting it back to what it was, we already have that here on Staten Island and Brooklyn. You have Super Expresses on the BM1 - BM4 and the X17A, X17C and X17J amongst others. You also have to remember that they're trying to consolidate for the lost private bus service as well because folks were saying that the X22s were also overcrowded since they lost the private bus, so this is why this was done and I actually agree with it. I think it's the best scenario you can get considering the economic times right now.

You mention the lost private service.... That may very well be, but I don't see this "super express" as coming with an increase in service, though.... That's the thing.... You're gonna have less runs serving different service patterns.... All this says to me was that said patrons aren't all too happy w/ the addition of x22's serving the park & ride.... So this is a next ditch effort in tryna improve the commute.... I see this as an unnecessary breaking up of service.....

Remember, the x22 is the only express bus in that particular section of the S. shore (did they ever can the AE7 yet or is it still running ?).... Sure you have the x23 (1/2 a mile to a mile) or so away from the park & ride, but folks still have to drive to get to the park & ride to begin with.... that drive is still part of the commute.....

I won't comment on the notion/opinion that this change is the best they can hope for/get......

--------

Your examples.... Well, with the BM's, the difference in the service pattern is within manhattan... The BM1-4 doesn't have different patterns w/i the outerborough (Brooklyn)..... If I stand on 30th/5th (super express or the regular serviced), over there on park row (downtown only), or over on battery pl (regular serviced), and a BM1 comes.... It will be a bus that serves "my" stop within Brooklyn.... Furthermore, I can't speak if there was any gained or lost service when they implemented super expresses on the BM's... don't know how long ago that was anyway.....

The x17a/c/j aren't really super expresses... one serves lower manhattan, one serves midtown, and one serves both..... same deal w/ the BM's as far as that general pattern w/i manhattan goes...

----------------------

Neither of the two examples you listed skips stops within the outerborough it serves, either.....

I'm sorry, but as a commuter, I'd rather my express bus have different patterns w/i manhattan, as opposed to different service patterns w/i my "home" borough.....

You mention the lost private service.... That may very well be, but I don't see this "super express" as coming with an increase in service, though.... That's the thing.... You're gonna have less runs serving different service patterns.... All this says to me was that said patrons aren't all too happy w/ the addition of x22's serving the park & ride.... So this is a next ditch effort in tryna improve the commute....

Remember, the x22 is the only express bus in that particular section of the S. shore (did they ever can the AE7 yet or is it still running ?).... Sure you have the x23 (1/2 a mile to a mile) or so away from the park & ride, but folks still have to drive to get to the park & ride to begin with.... that drive is still part of the commute.....

I won't comment on the notion/opinion that this change is the best they can hope for/get......

--------

Your examples.... Well, with the BM's, the difference in the service pattern is within manhattan... The BM1-4 doesn't have different patterns w/i the outerborough (Brooklyn)..... If I stand on 30th/5th (super express or the regular servced), over there on park row (downtown only), or over on battery pl (regular serviced), and a BM1 comes.... It will be a bus that serves "my" stop within Brooklyn.... Furthermore, I can't speak if there was any gained or lost service when they implemented super expresses on the BM's... god knows how long ago that was.....

The x17a/c/j aren't really super expresses... one serves lower manhattan, one serves midtown, and one serves both..... same deal w/ the BM's as far as that general pattern w/i manhattan goes...

----------------------

Neither of the two examples you listed skips stops within the outerborough it serves, either.....

I'm sorry, but as a commuter, I'd rather my express bus have different patterns w/i manhattan, as opposed to different service patterns w/i my "home" borough.....

You have a point, but not all X17s go to the same place on Staten Island. Some go to Annadale, some go to Huguenot and some go to Arden Heights. I see your point about the X22, but this is only a pilot program, so if it doesn't work they'll restore the service the way that it was. I think it's worth a shot if it can improve their commutes.

P.S. The AE7 was the line that was axed last year. The X23 and X24 are said to be unreliable (late, MIA, etc.). Actually folks keep hoping that the (MTA) takes them over from Atlantic, but that remains to be seen.

You have a point, but not all X17s go to the same place on Staten Island. Some go to Annadale, some go to Huguenot and some go to Arden Heights. I see your point about the X22, but this is only a pilot program, so if it doesn't work they'll restore the service the way that it was. I think it's worth a shot if it can improve their commutes.

P.S. The AE7 was the line that was axed last year. The X23 and X24 are said to be unreliable (late, MIA, etc.). Actually folks keep hoping that the (MTA) takes them over from Atlantic, but that remains to be seen.

- About the 17's, yes, I know.... that would be another reason as to why I wouldn't have used those routes as an example in comparison....

- So the AE7 did go.... that's what I was askin... thanks.

- The x22.... yeh, it's worth a shot.... I'm not implying that attempts shouldn't be made to try to improve the route... I'm sayin I don't think this attempt'll improve matters - Of course, that's JMO......

Push comes to shove, I'm also questioning the park & ride x22's.... I know 2 people that used to take the 22.... one lives somewhere in woodrow (I'll ask him tomorrow... matter fact, I'll shoot him a link to this thread... lol), and the miserable f.... I meant, the other guy, lives down on bedell st IIRC..... Both guys now drive to work....

dude that lives out in woodrow (who owes me money for that giants win on sunday!) says the 23 also runs right by him, but he took the 22 instead... I'll also ask him why he doesn't take the 23.... Maybe it's a distrust w/ AE, I dunno..... Anyway, he said ever since they cut service back to the park & ride, service on the 22 has gotten worse, especially towards manhattan....

^^ I also joke with him (b/c he always mentions the "mid island subway" & how many he sees while waiting for the 22 on his way home... referring to the 17j)... I tell him, why don't you take the mid island subway & catch a local..... He then retaliates back in sayin, the day he does that, will be the day I start takin the (2) to/from work...... He kinda reminds me of, well, you, when it comes to not riding a local bus on SI......

dam.... I'm just glad I don't have to worry about driving through NJ to get to work.....

- About the 17's, yes, I know.... that would be another reason as to why I wouldn't have used those routes as an example in comparison....

- So the AE7 did go.... that's what I was askin... thanks.

- The x22.... yeh, it's worth a shot.... I'm not implying that attempts shouldn't be made to try to improve the route... I'm sayin I don't think this attempt'll improve matters - Of course, that's JMO......

Push comes to shove, I'm also questioning the park & ride x22's.... I know 2 people that used to take the 22.... one lives somewhere in woodrow (I'll ask him tomorrow... matter fact, I'll shoot him a link to this thread... lol), and the miserable f.... I meant, the other guy, lives down on bedell st IIRC..... Both guys now drive to work....

dude that lives out in woodrow (who owes me money for that giants win on sunday!) says the 23 also runs right by him, but he took the 22 instead... I'll also ask him why he doesn't take the 23.... Maybe it's a distrust w/ AE, I dunno..... Anyway, he said ever since they cut service back to the park & ride, service on the 22 has gotten worse, especially towards manhattan....

^^ I also joke with him (b/c he always mentions the "mid island subway" & how many he sees while waiting for the 22 on his way home... referring to the 17j)... I tell him, why don't you take the mid island subway & catch a local..... He then retaliates back in sayin, the day he does that, will be the day I start takin the (2) to/from work...... He kinda reminds me of, well, you, when it comes to not riding a local bus on SI......

dam.... I'm just glad I don't have to worry about driving through NJ to get to work.....

LOL@ local bus comment. It's been so long since I've used a local bus on Staten Island that I can't even remember. I think I had to use the S54 one morning because I missed the X14 or something or other, but other than that I just call car service. I mean it's just easier. When I call in the mornings if I want to leave later and take the X17J or the X12 or X2, they usually have a car (sometimes one of those Lincoln's (I tell them that I like it when they send me those so I get them more often :), but for the 3 or 4k a year I give them to take me to and from the express bus or whatever they should send Lincoln's all the time) and I can get over to the X12 in 5 minutes. The X17J in about 10 mins depending on which way the guy goes and the X2 in about 10 minutes as well. BTW That's another reason I liked Riverdale. When I took car service from the express bus to Yonkers, the entire fleet was Lincolns. LOL I was talking to the guy in Spanish and I asked him and he was like yeah. I couldn't believe it. I said to myself now this is car service. LOL However, the good thing for me is I'll be able to save that 3-4k a year and spend it on something since I won't need car service as much with the express buses running 7 days a week. :cool:

A high school friend of mine recently started working in Midtown and since she knows I use the express bus she asked me about the X22. I recommended it to her since she was telling me that she almost died when she saw the commute from Tottenville where she lives at via the SIR, ferry, subway combination. lol Not sure what she decided but she hates the job at the moment. :eek:

1) Even so, the schedule says 16 -19 minutes from Bway & Forest to Hylan & Clove and it's taken almost 40 minutes at times to do that same connection, which is ridiculous. SIR North has also attested to this so I am certainly not making this up. There is no way that I would take a bus that would take 40 minutes to get to the express bus on Hylan Blvd when I can take car service and be there in 10 - 15 minutes.

2) Uh, no, he is so from Brooklyn. :) He changed that detail after I mentioned that his profile said he was from Brooklyn. His current location is Staten Island now that he's updated it after I made my post and he himself said that he just moved here about a year or so.

3) And I said before a modified version of SBS could work. I don't see how the S79 can have the high frequency needed for SBS either and it certainly doesn't have the same ridership that the S53 does, so that argument doesn't wash with me one bit.

4) That's exactly what it makes it slow. :mad: Having to stop at every stop for one or two people that either don't have their Metrocards ready or take their sweet time and then there are the jerks that wait until the last minute to get off and further hold us up or the baby strollers in the middle of the aisle not folded up of course. B)

1) True...

2) The point is that he lives on SI now, and has been traveling on the bus system for close to a year. I think that's enough time to make some judgements (not judgements that I necessarily agree with, but still...)

3) For the S79, every single bus will be +SBS+ (not that I agree that it should be +SBS+ either. I think it should just be a limited-only route like the M101), so it's different because the +SBS+ buses would basically run twice as frequently on the S79 than the S53.

On a side note, if they do that, I hope they try and make the S78 more reliable. I'd be pissed if I were a rider at a local stop and I was forced to take the S78.

4) True, very true.

Personally, I think that they should just have the super-express runs serve the Park-and-Ride. Everything else should just stay on Bloomingdale Road (except maybe the last run of the night, which should serve both the Park-and-Ride and Bloomingdale Road like it does now)

I don't think it's possible to get to Midtown from the South Shore in 45 minutes. It takes that long to get there from the last few stops on the X17J.

The ones that serve Arden Heights and Huguenot are the same (they should really change the X17C sign to say "Huguenot/Woodrow Road/via Richmond Avenue/via Drumgoogle" and the X17J to say the same thing, except say "via New Jersey" instead of "via Richmond Avenue")

I mean, I guess you can say that it's a similar situation when you consider that the X19 is like a super-express version for Arden Heights/Huguenot riders, the way Tottenville is getting a few super-express runs.

Don't mean to chime in on this but Atlantic Express has agreed to the x23/24 till 2015 or 16 as PER NYCDOT. Dunno too much of the service levels out on the island, however from what I'm reading thru these posts. There's a lack of service on the both the north side of the island and the south shore side of the island.

Don't mean to chime in on this but Atlantic Express has agreed to the x23/24 till 2015 or 16 as PER NYCDOT. Dunno too much of the service levels out on the island, however from what I'm reading thru these posts. There's a lack of service on the both the north side of the island and the south shore side of the island.

I had heard of this as well, but I wasn't aware that it would be until 2015 or 2016. Talk about suffering through hell. :eek: They shouldn't get that new contract unless they stipulate that they're going to provide more reliable service on the X23 and X24. The passengers on those lines feel like Atlantic has more "important" matters to attend to then picking them up and getting them to and from work as some buses apparently go MIA or are very late.

I had heard of this as well, but I wasn't aware that it would be until 2015 or 2016. Talk about suffering through hell. :eek: They shouldn't get that new contract unless they stipulate that they're going to provide more reliable service on the X23 and X24. The passengers on those lines feel like Atlantic has more "important" matters to attend to then picking them up and getting them to and from work as some buses apparently go MIA or are very late.

those riders should simply stop using the X23/24 if its so unreliable don't use it. Use X1 or X2 or any other X bus try SIR to get to other express lines. If they keep up the shit then ppl will simply stop using them completely.

those riders should simply stop using the X23/24 if its so unreliable don't use it. Use X1 or X2 or any other X bus try SIR to get to other express lines. If they keep up the shit then ppl will simply stop using them completely.

The X23/X24 provides express bus service where there few other alternatives, so unless they're willing to drive to other express buses, there isn't much else down there. The funny thing is that just about all of the private express bus operators on Staten Island haven't worked out. Either went under or something or other. B)

The X23/X24 provides express bus service where there few other alternatives, so unless they're willing to drive to other express buses, there isn't much else down there. The funny thing is that just about all of the private express bus operators on Staten Island haven't worked out. Either went under or something or other. B)

maybe it was shitty service and the metrocard mentality of ppl on SI.

Archived