Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
BZGuy

Far Rock?

Anybody got any info on Far Rockaway?

Seems like a small depot, only 68 buses.

What's the good, bad and ugly?

well, it is a small depot. it has 2 lots, one next to it which holds all the MCI's, one across the street which holds the Hybrids. It was inherited from Green Lines and i beleive its still under lease. Right now, they have been in the proccess of rebuilding it to a "green" depot. The western building was demolished, and replaced and, from what i saw last week, is almost done. The good, well, buses are kept in good shape there. i personally havent had a complaint about their buses since the takeover. There's still a small handful of drivers who were there since GBL so those drivers KNOW the area and routes. The bad, well, besides the 3 former GBL routes(Q21,Q22 and Q35) they split routes with JFK (Q8, Q9, Q11, and i believe the Q41. Someone who knows this for sure can correct me). And have MCI's for all of GBL's Express runs except the QM18. The last G.O. within Rockaway that i rode (B98th ST to Mott) there were the usual buses from CS, JAM and QV but also now a few from SC and JFK served. I mention this because out of 3 GOs like that, ive only seen 1 from FR. Given the number of buses to routes, theres really not a lot of spares. The Ugly? well, you should look at the area. LOL

Theres no NGs there. All of the hybrids are O7 OGs. And buses transfered are usually between, FR, SC and JFK.

a lot of this info is basic "observations" since the takeover in 06 and i dont think any GBL's history there comes into play aside from the drivers and routes.

Well, I grew up in Far Rockaway...and boy oh boy those people are a trip...I remember riding the Q22 as a kid... people would be fighting on the bus...starting problems with the B/O's etc... I moved from there in '02 so idk how it is now. If I had the choice of a MTABC depot it would def be LaGuardia.

I'm looking at CPT or ECH. Express is what I'm more looking into but don't want to work in Yonkers. But what is the feel of working in Far Rock itself?

College Point and ECH are great. Word on the street is Yonkers will be closing eventually anyway.

Far Rock is a cool depot. The maintenance is pretty good, and the personnel seem to be cool as well.

I'm looking at CPT or ECH. Express is what I'm more looking into but don't want to work in Yonkers. But what is the feel of working in Far Rock itself?

I feel you on Yonkers....that's a young depot. There won't be much movement at all.

Right now my top 3 are:

1 - College Point

2 - Eastchester

3 - Far Rockaway

Well, I grew up in Far Rockaway...and boy oh boy those people are a trip...I remember riding the Q22 as a kid... people would be fighting on the bus...starting problems with the B/O's etc... I moved from there in '02 so idk how it is now. If I had the choice of a MTABC depot it would def be LaGuardia.

i just moved from there in September. Lived out there since 1990. Its calmed down ALOT since the takeover. People are less angry. The B/Os are less stressed. and it all started to be like that since the takeover. '02 was still during Green Lines. I sure dont miss those days lol

College Point and ECH are great. Word on the street is Yonkers will be closing eventually anyway.

Far Rock is a cool depot. The maintenance is pretty good, and the personnel seem to be cool as well.

Maintenance is pretty good indeed. last time i saw a broke-down Q22, it was still Green! lol They also appear to baby the crap out of the MCIs there.

Now as far as Yonkers, why, besides it being the only one outside of NYC, would it close? sure, ECH or GH could take the BxM11, but can KB handle the 1,2,3,4 and 18? (i only say KB cause its the closest depot to Yonkers. Please dont quote me on that. its a 'what if')

Keep in mind that FR is a ATU depot as well as JFK, and you have a good chance of getting into CP or ECH, and yes word on the streets is that YO to ECH this upcoming spring. I'm going to keep you guys inform. We just finish our system pick today, I'm heading to LGA for the winter pick.:tup:

Keep in mind that FR is a ATU depot as well as JFK, and you have a good chance of getting into CP or ECH, and yes word on the streets is that YO to ECH this upcoming spring. I'm going to keep you guys inform. We just finish our system pick today, I'm heading to LGA for the winter pick.:tup:

How does that work? Do you slot in to LGA with your seniority or do you go back to the bottom of the list. I'll be honest if LGA had better equipment I would honestly be looking at going there.

Anybody know how JFK is like? It seems like Far Rock and JFK don't get talked about much here on the forums.

How does that work? Do you slot in to LGA with your seniority or do you go back to the bottom of the list. I'll be honest if LGA had better equipment I would honestly be looking at going there.

Anybody know how JFK is like? It seems like Far Rock and JFK don't get talked about much here on the forums.

Yea I keep my seniority, LGA is not that bad about JFK and FAR ROCK the last class that came in was mad because a lot was forced into JFK because its not a TWU 100 depot. But I heard JFK aint that bad plus it have a lot of runs meaning work and ect.

Yea I keep my seniority, LGA is not that bad about JFK and FAR ROCK the last class that came in was mad because a lot was forced into JFK because its not a TWU 100 depot. But I heard JFK aint that bad plus it have a lot of runs meaning work and ect.

Between the 2 former GBL depots, JFK has more local runs with FR having more Exp runs.