Best route to Penn from UES

jps1012

Hi...I am moving to 81st bet 2nd and 3rd and I will be working by penn station. What do you think is the best way to get there? Hopstop says the best route in the M79 bus to the C train. A little bit longer is taking the 6 train to the E train. What do you guys think? Thanks

Those option. If you wish to use bus only, you can take the M15 +SBS to 34th Street and connect with the M34/A +SBS to 7th or 8th Avenue / 34th Street for Penn. Even tho you may have to deal with traffic at some point along 2nd Avenue due to the 2nd Avenue Subway under construction.

QUOTE=lance25;506337]Either route would probably work. Just remember that the (C) runs about every ten minutes whereas the (6) and (E) run every three to five minutes.

Yeah, but with the (E) you will have to deal with station crowd at Lex/53rd. But its still fast enough.

Take the (6) to 51st Street and transfer to the (E)(M) at Lex 53rd.

-If your (E) comes first take it to Penn Station

-If an (M) comes first, take it to 5th Avenue and wait there for your (E) (it's less crowded and Lex 53rd is a death trap when crowded)

Should take you 35-40 minutes total, including walking time for transfer, waiting time for trains, and walking to the 77th Street subway station.

Sometimes it can take that long just to get across town on the M79, and you'd still have to wait for that (C).

Take the (6) to 51st Street and transfer to the (E)(M) at Lex 53rd.

-If your (E) comes first take it to Penn Station

-If an (M) comes first, take it to 5th Avenue and wait there for your (E) (it's less crowded and Lex 53rd is a death trap when crowded)

Should take you 35-40 minutes total, including walking time for transfer, waiting time for trains, and walking to the 77th Street subway station.

Sometimes it can take that long just to get across town on the M79, and you'd still have to wait for that (C).

Thanks for the responses! Thats crazy that the bus can take that long. Do you think I am better off taking the above route or walking a little extra (and in the wrong direction) to 86th and taking the 4/5 to Grand Central, then the Shuttle to Times Square and the 1/2/3 to Penn? Thanks

Subway:

Take M79 or M86 to Broadway for downtown (1) to 34th St-Penn Station/7th Av.

If you see (2)(3) express at 72nd St, change it and take to same place.

I prefer M79 because M86 gets held up at Lexington Av, with folks running from subway station to catch bus.

It not really long wait on M79. I frequent uses since after day of M15 SBS days.

By Bus: Even with 2nd Av subway construction, rush hour bridge/tunnel traffic, taking Select Bus Service are little quickers.

Take M15 SBS at 2nd Av/79th St to 34th St for either M34SBS or M34A SBS to 7th Av or 8th Av.

Thanks for the responses! Thats crazy that the bus can take that long. Do you think I am better off taking the above route or walking a little extra (and in the wrong direction) to 86th and taking the 4/5 to Grand Central, then the Shuttle to Times Square and the 1/2/3 to Penn? Thanks

Take the (6) to (E) route. The express will actually cost you time there due to backtracking, and the added transfers will add to that further. (6) service is very frequent anyway, and especially during the rush the (6) tends to move better than the (4)(5)

I agree with SubwayGuy, back tracking means you have to go all the way to 125th St for express since 86th St station is not connected. It doesn't make sense to take (6) to 96th St or 103rd St to get back on downtown (6).

He doesn't need to go all the way to 125th if he's getting on a downtown express train at 86th.

What I meant by backtracking is spending time walking away from his destination to catch a train.

However a local from 77th to 51st takes as much time as an express from 86th to 42nd. (Except during the rush - then the local is faster).

The transfer to the (E) at 53/Lex is comparable in time as the transfer to the (S) at Grand Central, or the (7) when you account for walking upstairs on the Times Sq end also.

The ride on the (E) itself is quite short once the train comes, thus overall it's easier to do it that way due to fewer transfers.

He doesn't need to go all the way to 125th if he's getting on a downtown express train at 86th.

What I meant by backtracking is spending time walking away from his destination to catch a train.

However a local from 77th to 51st takes as much time as an express from 86th to 42nd. (Except during the rush - then the local is faster).

The transfer to the (E) at 53/Lex is comparable in time as the transfer to the (S) at Grand Central, or the (7) when you account for walking upstairs on the Times Sq end also.

The ride on the (E) itself is quite short once the train comes, thus overall it's easier to do it that way due to fewer transfers.

Thanks a lot! I appreciate it!

Surprised no one mentioned these options:

On weekdays only, using the M79 to CPW and taking the (B) there. Either you can at that point stay on the (B) all the way to 34th/6th (with an exit at 32nd Street I believe) OR if an (A) shows up at Columbus Circle, taking that to Penn Station OR if you are on the (B) and an (E) shows up across at 7th Avenue jumping on that.

On using the (6): Taking that to 59th and taking from there the (N)/(Q)/® to 34th street, and I believe on weekdays the exit at 32nd street is open.

Another option from 81st is walking to Lexington Avenue and taking the (M101) or (M102) bus to 63rd and getting the (F) there.

All trains but the (A)/(E) on the west side in this stop one block east of Penn Station, within easy walking distance.

Guest lance25

@Wallyhorse: No one mentioned those options because they all end up at 34 St-Herald Sq. He wants Penn Station and may not feel like walking from 6th Avenue to 7th.

If you're at Lex/53, take whichever train comes first, especially during rush hour. Sure, the (E) goes directly to Penn. But if an (M) comes first, you won't have to get on the crowded (E) train. And even if the (E) isn't crowded, I find the (M) gets to 34th/6th faster than the (E) gets to Penn, so most of the time it takes less time if the (M) is first, even with the extra 2 min walk. Just my thoughts

• 2 months later...

What do you guys think of taking the M4 from 32nd and 7th to 79th and madison at 5pm? I am also thinking of trying the F to 63rd and lex and then taking the M102 or M103 from 65th and 3rd. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

What do you guys think of taking the M4 from 32nd and 7th to 79th and madison at 5pm? I am also thinking of trying the F to 63rd and lex and then taking the M102 or M103 from 65th and 3rd. Let me know your thoughts. Thanks!

Based on the current schedule (M4) LTD leaves Penn every TEN minutes from 4:50 to 5:30 PM. 79th Street is a limited stop. Schedule shows running time of half hour from Penn to Mad & 95th. Mad & 79th is probably 25 minutes running time.:cool:

Based on the current schedule (M4) LTD leaves Penn every TEN minutes from 4:50 to 5:30 PM. 79th Street is a limited stop. Schedule shows running time of half hour from Penn to Mad & 95th. Mad & 79th is probably 25 minutes running time.:cool:

How can I tell which M4 bus stops at Mad and 79th?

Every M4 stops at Mad and 79th. Limiteds only stop at certain stops but 79th is one of them. The destination will read:

LIMITED, WASHINGTON HTS • 193 ST, LIMITED, via MADISON • via BWAY

As an alternative, take the (A) to 59th-Columbus Circle and the (M31) which goes crosstown on 57th and north on York. I can't imagine York having the same amount of traffic as 1st Avenue. I estimate running time of 35 minutes fromt the subway to 79th & York.

Every M4 stops at Mad and 79th. Limiteds only stop at certain stops but 79th is one of them. The destination will read:

LIMITED, WASHINGTON HTS • 193 ST, LIMITED, via MADISON • via BWAY

As an alternative, take the (A) to 59th-Columbus Circle and the (M31) which goes crosstown on 57th and north on York. I can't imagine York having the same amount of traffic as 1st Avenue. I estimate running time of 35 minutes fromt the subway to 79th & York.

Oh gotcha so the ones that are limited should get there quicker.

Oh gotcha so the ones that are limited should get there quicker.

You write like you're new to the city. To survive, you have to become familar with transit terms and resources.

You desperately need to get a copy of the Manhattan Bus Map which shows all bus and subway routes in the borough. The map is available at any subway station that has a station attendant.

Then, you need to look at the (MTA) website mta.info, not http://www.mta.info just mta.info You can look up bus and subway schedules.

There are two types of subway service: express and local. Locals make EVERY stop on the line while expresses only stop at MAJOR stations for connections to the local and other subway lines.

There are four types of bus service. Locals make every stop on the line. Limiteds are like express subways that stop ONLY at major intersections, mostly where there is perpendicular service, e.g. northbound and southbound service connecting with eastbound and westbound service. Select Bus Service is limited stop service EXCEPT you pay your fare from a vending machine at the bus stop. The machine gives you a receipt to show to a law enforcement officer who issues a summons to those who ride without paying. The advantage is the Select bus has THREE sets of doors and boarding passengers can use ALL of them. There's no farebox to enter your farecard because the vending machine took your payment. The principle behind select bus is faster boarding because everybody doesn't have to enter at the front door. Express bus service uses a bus that looks like a Greyhound bus to transport passengers between Manhattan and the other borough. This is a premium service that costs $5.50. All other buses cost the same $2.25.

Hope this helps. I'm sure someone will point out any errors.LOL;)

You write like you're new to the city. To survive, you have to become familar with transit terms and resources.

You desperately need to get a copy of the Manhattan Bus Map which shows all bus and subway routes in the borough. The map is available at any subway station that has a station attendant.

Then, you need to look at the (MTA) website mta.info, not http://www.mta.info just mta.info You can look up bus and subway schedules.

There are two types of subway service: express and local. Locals make EVERY stop on the line while expresses only stop at MAJOR stations for connections to the local and other subway lines.

There are four types of bus service. Locals make every stop on the line. Limiteds are like express subways that stop ONLY at major intersections, mostly where there is perpendicular service, e.g. northbound and southbound service connecting with eastbound and westbound service. Select Bus Service is limited stop service EXCEPT you pay your fare from a vending machine at the bus stop. The machine gives you a receipt to show to a law enforcement officer who issues a summons to those who ride without paying. The advantage is the Select bus has THREE sets of doors and boarding passengers can use ALL of them. There's no farebox to enter your farecard because the vending machine took your payment. The principle behind select bus is faster boarding because everybody doesn't have to enter at the front door. Express bus service uses a bus that looks like a Greyhound bus to transport passengers between Manhattan and the other borough. This is a premium service that costs $5.50. All other buses cost the same $2.25.

Hope this helps. I'm sure someone will point out any errors.LOL;)

Thanks for explaining! I recently moved to the city. I understand the subways was just confused with the buses bc the pdf on the MTA website doesnt show all the bus stops. Thanks for your help!

Thanks for explaining! I recently moved to the city. I understand the subways was just confused with the buses bc the pdf on the MTA website doesnt show all the bus stops. Thanks for your help!

The MTA website doesn't really show ANY bus stops, except for limiteds. Just understand that the major intersections are where the crosstown buses (east-west) intersect the avenues (north-south). For details on any route, go to the website and click on "New York City Bus" followed by schedules, then borough. Every schedule has a map.

Generally, bus stops are every two blocks, except for limiteds which are the crosstown streets. Limiteds are limited between two defined points, not the entire route.

You'll just have to practice, get lost, and learn.;)

Archived