Best route to Penn from UES

jps1012

Having been a resident of the Upper East Side all my life, I say the best commute would be to take the M79 bus to Central Park West and transferring to the (C), unless you wish to be accidentally molested by strangers every day on the extremely overcrowded and packed (6) train. If a (:) train comes first, take it to 59th Street and transfer to the (A) (express) or a (C) if it comes first.

In the afternoon, you can take the (1) train to 79th Street and get a seat on the M79 to the east side, because during rush hour all the seats will be gone before Columbus Avenue. It might increase your commute by 5 minutes or so, but it's not exactly pleasant having to stand on a packed bus as it zooms through Central Park and zips around those curves.

77th Street (6) has the highest ridership for any local station in the system, and often times you'll have to let a train go by before there's enough room for you to get on. Then there's the annoying transfer to the (E) train which requires you to use this extremely long escalator. It will be a couple minutes faster than the M79 + (C), but it requires much more walking and is quite painful.

I'm not sure about the M4. You certainly won't want to walk all the way to 5th Avenue in the morning, and if you're thinking of taking the M79 to 5th you might as well just take it one more stop to catch the train.

How can I tell which M4 bus stops at Mad and 79th?

The M4 is one bus route....

Madison av. & E 79th st. is an intersection....

Why would there be more than one bus stop of any one route at a given intersection.... think about what you are saying here.....

------------

As for this particular "best route to" question, I'd listen to Gorgor & Subway Guy.......

On using the (6): Taking that to 59th and taking from there the (N)/(Q)/® to 34th street, and I believe on weekdays the exit at 32nd street is open.

Another option from 81st is walking to Lexington Avenue and taking the (M101) or (M102) bus to 63rd and getting the (F) there.

I don't think those options are too bad. Gorgor, how crowded is the (6) vs. the (4)(5)? If he's just staying on the local, and then just has to go up one flight of steps, it might not be too bad.

The M101/102 to the (F) shouldn't be too bad, since the (F) has gotten less crowded because it doesn't serve 53rd Street.

But I assume Gorgor and SubwayGuy know their stuff, since they live on the UES, so I'd go with the M79 to the (C) (or if a (:( comes first, take it to 59th Street and then take the (A) or (C)), but those options can be good as backups.

The M4 is one bus route....

Madison av. & E 79th st. is an intersection....

Why would there be more than one bus stop of any one route at a given intersection.... think about what you are saying here.....

------------

I think he said "Which M4 bus", as in "the local or the limited" stops at Madison & 79th. I don't think he was asking which stop is at 79th Street (as if there were 2 stops or something).

In any case, either M4 would get him to Madison & 79th.

Archived