Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
BrooklynBus

Brighton Line stopped yesterday for 30 minutes

Must have been totally annoying and inconveniencing.. But everything fails sometimes. At least it wasn't rush hour. The article exaggerates, though, when saying that construction closures are unnecessary during middays. Plus there are hardly any closures during rush hour, except for the long-term ones and the emergency ones. Midday construction is something usual..

Must have been totally annoying and inconveniencing.. But everything fails sometimes. At least it wasn't rush hour. The article exaggerates, though, when saying that construction closures are unnecessary during middays. Plus there are hardly any closures during rush hour, except for the long-term ones and the emergency ones. Midday construction is something usual..

Never said midday construction closures are not necessary. It said unnecessary midday closures are not what we need. Doesn't mean that all midday closures are unnecessary.

Never said midday construction closures are not necessary. It said unnecessary midday closures are not what we need. Doesn't mean that all midday closures are unnecessary.

Actually it says

"Given rush hour, weekend and nighttime delays due to construction closures, the last thing we need are unnecessary midday subway delays also."

I agree that there shouldn't be unnecessary delays like this, but how would they know that the train would break down. It attributes rush hour delays to construction closures, something which most of the time isn't true. Plus this delay wasn't because of construction.

Anyway, no matter the cause it's quite an inconvenience.

This should not happen during midday.And if it does the MTA should post on its website something like. "Due to workers not being able to work at night there will be garbage collections during midday affecting service".So people know to leave extra travel time.

Guest lance25

What we have here is a failure to communicate. With the passengers that is. If something's holding up the northbound (B) at Church, (Q) trains are coming and going and passengers are out of the loop as to why, something's wrong here. I get that things break down, sometimes at the most inopportune time, but don't have everyone sitting around twiddling their thumbs wondering why they're stuck somewhere. We're not all just sitting there playing Angry Birds and killing time.

Also, why was the garbage train out in the middle of the day? I hope they were just moving it and not actually trying to pick up garbage when both the (B) and (Q) are running fairly tight headways.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. With the passengers that is. If something's holding up the northbound (B) at Church, (Q) trains are coming and going and passengers are out of the loop as to why, something's wrong here. I get that things break down, sometimes at the most inopportune time, but don't have everyone sitting around twiddling their thumbs wondering why they're stuck somewhere. We're not all just sitting there playing Angry Birds and killing time.

True... Accurate announcements and explanations are a must!

I find it funny that the (MTA) is trying to encourage folks to use the subway and the subway is getting slower and slower and more delayed by the day. A little hypocrisy to say the least.

Also, why is it such a secret to tell folks about things like this? They divulge the information after the fact and they wonder why the public has such a negative image of them. They just don't communicate enough when they need to and make folks be delayed unnecessarily. Those folks would've been irritated for having to transfer, but they've would've been less irritated having to wait 30 minutes when they could've in most cases reached their destination in that time period.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. With the passengers that is. If something's holding up the northbound (:) at Church, (Q) trains are coming and going and passengers are out of the loop as to why, something's wrong here. I get that things break down, sometimes at the most inopportune time, but don't have everyone sitting around twiddling their thumbs wondering why they're stuck somewhere. We're not all just sitting there playing Angry Birds and killing time.

Also, why was the garbage train out in the middle of the day? I hope they were just moving it and not actually trying to pick up garbage when both the (B) and (Q) are running fairly tight headways.

It's normal for one of the southern pickups to be out during the day. The reason stuff like this happens is that Stillwell Tower doesn't have enough TW/Os to monitor the Brighton Line. There is no one to give line ups from Prospect Park to Brighton Beach. In this situation, I would blame station dept. which is in charge of the pickup. The T/O on the train must stop when told unless the tower or RCC tells them to move out.

Also, why was the garbage train out in the middle of the day? I hope they were just moving it and not actually trying to pick up garbage when both the (:) and (Q) are running fairly tight headways.

They been running the Garbage train in the middle of the day, I remember seeing a R40M with those yellow freight train like cars in the middle, during the day on a weekday on the QB line a few years ago.

I also remember a Redbird Garbage train running on the IRT Nostrand Branch during the midday.

I find it funny that the (MTA) is trying to encourage folks to use the subway and the subway is getting slower and slower and more delayed by the day. A little hypocrisy to say the least.

I disagree, I have been riding the subway for years now and if anything, it seems to be getting faster, then again the subway lines I ride the most ( (Q), (2) & (5) ) use NTT... Heck, the (R), which uses 46s, is not that bad and its very reliable IMO.

I usually take the (R) to Atlantic Pacific to either the IRT or Brighton back home as I don't feel like taking the bus home most times.

If the (R) was closer to my job, I would ditch the B8 in a heartbeat, the subway is like holy grail to people like myself who have suffer riding buses to work lol.

the subway is like holy grail to people like myself who have suffer riding buses to work lol.

It's a holy grail to people who don't like to be stuck in traffic on the expressway as well.

True... Accurate announcements and explanations are a must!

Agreed. Not to go off topic here, but I especially hate it when you have an express and local train waiting for the lineup especially on lines in which they both merge onto a single track like 59th on the (:)/(D) and the Cranberry street tunnels. The express usually goes in front of the local, but in rare cases in which it doesn't, it would be nice for the conductor to give that announcement beforehand which train is leaving first.

It's a holy grail to people who don't like to be stuck in traffic on the expressway as well.
Yes that's a nice way to talk about, but (clears my throat) hello aren't you guys forgetting something, like what big day this is?

Yes that's a nice way to talk about, but (clears my throat) hello aren't you guys forgetting something, like what big day this is?

No, not really....

Reminds me of ftr.. nah, just kidding.

He's referring to the 71st anniversary of the IND 6th Avenue Line opening (December 15, 1940) but he apparently sang "Happy Birthday" to it in a thread he made.

Agreed. Not to go off topic here, but I especially hate it when you have an express and local train waiting for the lineup especially on lines in which they both merge onto a single track like 59th on the (B)/(D) and the Cranberry street tunnels. The express usually goes in front of the local, but in rare cases in which it doesn't, it would be nice for the conductor to give that announcement beforehand which train is leaving first.

Yeah but that would be asking for too much. It would be easier for us to play a game of cat and mouse. :) I've been in that situation and it is annoying as hell, esp. when you only have to go two stops. The express sits there at 59th street for what seems to be an eternity.

Edited by Via Garibaldi 8

The express usually doesn't go in front the local, its based on schedule and train OTP. If a (:) and (D) s/b enter 59, schedule determines which one leaves first, not the (D) because it was express. Now if the (B) was scheduled to leave first, its running a minute late and is still in the tunnel between 72-59 and the (D) is sittin in the station, of course the (D) is going to leave first.

The express usually doesn't go in front the local, its based on schedule and train OTP. If a (B) and (D) s/b enter 59, schedule determines which one leaves first, not the (D) because it was express. Now if the (B) was scheduled to leave first, its running a minute late and is still in the tunnel between 72-59 and the (D) is sittin in the station, of course the (D) is going to leave first.

Which is even more of the reason why one would want an announcement. I think KTrainExp made that assumption from experience and at that station, usually the (D) goes before the (B) and most folks would think it does because it's express. I still have a hard time thinking about a subway having a schedule too, even though they clearly do. Probably because I haven't seen it printed anywhere until recently, but even know I still don't bother to look at the schedule when taking the subway. I mean it's pointless to pull out my Thunderbolt and say, hmm... Now when is the next (4) train coming, although on the (B)(D) which take FOREVER to come, it could actually save me the 10 or more minute wait. :)

It's a garbage train it keeps the sytem.... cleanish.

What else doI have to say but stuff happens.

This happened before to me. We were on a southbound (Q) train. We passed and R160 at 7th Avenue, and it was not moving. We saw another one at Prospect Park, Parkside Av., Church Avenue, and Newkirk Av. (We got off at Cortelyou Rd.). Apparently, someone had pulled the emergency brakes on the one at 7th Av, because there was a sick person on the train.

Actually it says

"Given rush hour, weekend and nighttime delays due to construction closures, the last thing we need are unnecessary midday subway delays also."

I agree that there shouldn't be unnecessary delays like this, but how would they know that the train would break down. It attributes rush hour delays to construction closures, something which most of the time isn't true. Plus this delay wasn't because of construction.

Anyway, no matter the cause it's quite an inconvenience.

I made an error which I am trying to have corrected. It should have rush hour congestion delays and nighttime and weekend construction closures.

What we have here is a failure to communicate. With the passengers that is. If something's holding up the northbound (:) at Church, (Q) trains are coming and going and passengers are out of the loop as to why, something's wrong here. I get that things break down, sometimes at the most inopportune time, but don't have everyone sitting around twiddling their thumbs wondering why they're stuck somewhere. We're not all just sitting there playing Angry Birds and killing time.

There was no mention that the "work train" had broken down or there was trouble moving it. The implication was that it was performing work.

They been running the Garbage train in the middle of the day, I remember seeing a R40M with those yellow freight train like cars in the middle, during the day on a weekday on the QB line a few years ago.

I also remember a Redbird Garbage train running on the IRT Nostrand Branch during the

I've also seen the garbage train during midday on the Queens Blvd line, but this train seemed to be picking up bags of trash from the tracks not from the containers on the station.

Which is even more of the reason why one would want an announcement. I think KTrainExp made that assumption from experience and at that station, usually the (D) goes before the (;) and most folks would think it does because it's express. I still have a hard time thinking about a subway having a schedule too, even though they clearly do. Probably because I haven't seen it printed anywhere until recently, but even know I still don't bother to look at the schedule when taking the subway. I mean it's pointless to pull out my Thunderbolt and say, hmm... Now when is the next (4) train coming, although on the (B)(D) which take FOREVER to come, it could actually save me the 10 or more minute wait. B)

It is the dispatcher (t/d) and tower operator's (tw/o) job to give information to the customers waiting in stations (assuming the station has working PA). Sometimes I don't know which train is going to leave first. Sometimes the tw/o tells me (and I make an announcement, but being that I have a 68A, the people on the platform can't hear me in that noisy environment), often they do not. There have been times I came into the station a few seconds after a (D) pulled in, and I left first (I can see the lineup to leave as I was coming in). I guess the (D) was early. In this case, the (A) was probably far enough back that the (D) could sit there and go onto 6Av in its proper order.

Of course I've seen the reverse. I'm a (B) running well, a (D) is sitting behind an (A) in the station at 59. I pull into 59 first, and the (A) pulls out. The (D) comes in and leaves first, as he was scheduled to leave first (In rush hour there are obviously more express trains than locals on the CPW). This is probably what Ktrain was talking about. The (D) is delay prone on the express track due to the sheer number of (A)'s (probably 3:2 ratio A to D) and the Rock Park trains also going into service there. Meanwhile the (B) still runs well as the ©'s frequency didn't improve much since the off-peak (which is well chronicled). Because of fewer trains on the local, the (B) can actually sit at 59 longer, which would make it seem they always holding locals so the express can go in front of it. (B)'s can often come into 59 early (because of the power of the brakes) where it is rare that (D) shows up there early.

Very informative post! :tup: What's funny is that I always felt like more ©'s come than (A)'s. When I was still in college, I would come down for summer break and I would work for this musical arts' focused organization over by 34th & 8th. Anywho, I was taking the ferry at that time, but I would take the (A) or the (C) down to the (4) or (5) train at Fulton St., and I always felt like the (A)'s were hit and miss. The ©'s weren't great either, but they seemed more frequent than the (A)'s and also less likely to bunch. The (E)'s would run like water though. In thinking about it though at 59th street, it seems like the ratio of (A)'s to (D)'s are about 3:2 as you said. I feel like the (D)'s should be more frequent to be honest and the (B)'s as well. For some reason, the local trains (the (F) and (M)), but particularly the (F) are far more frequent. I know the (F) gets a lot of riders, but still. The (D)'s usually always arrive crowded. B)