9000s vs 7100s

BZGuy

Just throwing this out there because I find it odd.

I'm a regular rider on the 129, which because of the bitchy people at Harmon Cove, Meadowlands puts as many 7100s on that line as possible. Lately we've been getting some 9000s which are nice buses but they don't seem to be as powerful as the 7100 series, which I find odd because they are the same spec as the 71s. And I can't say it's because of the Meadowlands because Howells 9000s are dogs too...have'nt ridden Wayne's so I can't comment.

Anybody got any ideas what's up with those buses.

The 9000s are junk but are great buses lol. I really don't know why they are dogs compared to the 71s. But at one pint Howell was so fed up with the 9000s to the point they were gona send em to Egg Harbor. They suck on the Hwy. The 71s have larger engines but I havent drove enough of them 90s n haven't seen their engines which is C13s.

I have the "pleasure" to use a 9000 when I used to do the 308. Let me tell you this. I rather have a 7400, 8200, or the lovely 7100 (7121 please) than to drive a 9000. The 9000 is so damn slow, it frustrates me to hell. I kid you not, when the depot clerk gave me a 9000, I would BEG him for anything else. That's because I wanted to get there.....like YESTERDAY. The weird thing is that both the 7100's and the 9000's both have Caterpillar C13 ACERT Engine with a Allison B500R WTEC Transmission. Yet, there has to be something with those 9000's that makes me feel like I'm driving with extra weight on my back when I was driving to Six Flags empty. Oh, and let me tell you this, when I was on the 129, people don't dare give me any crap because they knew that if they give me enough of a hard time, I would of brought a Flex or a NABI down there. People knew me from the 353 that I don't take nonsense, and they tried to get rid of me yet they couldn't. NJT knew that the people are more than snobs. Some are just straight up overgrown ******** who needs a taste of reality instead of being brown nosers. I once heard that whenever there was a bad flood, some people hope the water knocks over Harmon Tower and Townhouses and see how the ppl survive homeless. I never wished that on anyone but I bet you other people have because on how ******* rude they are.

The last 9000 I drove was 9029 on the 319 because 7183 overheated on me @ the gate at pabt. I usually finish the 319 in 2hrs 10mins but with 9029 that govern was capped out at 65. Lemme tell ya I was pissed. Driving down the parkway was a nightmare for me.

65 is the norm at Peter Pan. It's horrible....you're confined to the right lane,anytime you jump to the left you got cars up ur ass. It's way too slow....I wish they would turn them back up to at least 68, I know we aren't getting 72 back.

Last time I rode the 139, it was on a CNG and we blew 9034 out of the water on the NJTP. Whatever was done to those 9000s is horrible, like SJP said they have the same engine/transmission combo as the 7100s but none of the pep at all. I wish NJT had bought more 7100s...could you imagine 40fts spec'd like the 71s....those things would be rockets!

The only other series of 4500s I really like are Wayne's 8300s. The pickup is a bit slow but they run like champs on the highway and they are very smooth. 8303 is one of my favorites!

I don't know how ya deal wit that cap out at 65 lol. I need a rocket. I feel njt should have made those 90s like the 71s but the 90s model was the last year that version of the CL was offered with the old rear. In time the 90s n 71s will get a face lift on the front wit new lights. That day I had 9029 I wanted to go insane. Lol confined to the right the entire trip was an epic fail because when I have a 71 I'm living on the left or middle.

You don't wana get me started wit 8303 we'd have to fight for that bus lol. Ima add 7986(D4000) to that list also.

I wouldn't mind seeing a D4000CT, but ima go out on a limb n say njt will replace all 40footer mcis with 45footers; we are talking bout njt tho they tryna save money and 40footers are cheaper.

65 is the norm at Peter Pan. It's horrible....you're confined to the right lane,anytime you jump to the left you got cars up ur ass. It's way too slow....I wish they would turn them back up to at least 68, I know we aren't getting 72 back.

Last time I rode the 139, it was on a CNG and we blew 9034 out of the water on the NJTP. Whatever was done to those 9000s is horrible, like SJP said they have the same engine/transmission combo as the 7100s but none of the pep at all. I wish NJT had bought more 7100s...could you imagine 40fts spec'd like the 71s....those things would be rockets!

The only other series of 4500s I really like are Wayne's 8300s. The pickup is a bit slow but they run like champs on the highway and they are very smooth. 8303 is one of my favorites!

If you get 8232, unless they messed it up, Guarantee: you will be comfortable.

I knew which 7100 didn't have a governer and i loved it too. NY to Toms River in about......55 minutes. I'm not exaggerating. I think it was 7174 or 73, I forgot. But, that mofo was so fast, I got to TR, and I waited till it was time to go. I'm glad it was a warm day too. I just pratically sat down and chilled. The "regulars" that usually take the bus was like, NICE, Let's get some air, smoke, and some napped. Then I got to AC in about 40 minutes, which normally took 65 minutes on a good day. Lemme tell you this, I had a near 2:45 minute break instead of my normal 2 hours. Man.....I wish I was back at NJT. Those were the good ol' days!

You don't wana get me started wit 8303 we'd have to fight for that bus lol.

I rode 8303 twice, once on the 190 and on the 196 all the way to Warwick. That is one bad ass bus. Dude on the 196 rocked the hell outta that bus on Skyline Dr. If I worked at Wayne that would be "my" bus!

I'm kinda shocked at how well Meadowlands keeps the 8200s up. I figured thay would be as bad as some of the 7400s, but they ride nice and run very well. The 7400s....well they were nice when they were new, now they are just plain wore out. Meadowlands has abused those things, because I ridden Wayne's 74s and they don't bang or shift hard at all

To me it seems like Howell,Wayne and Fairview do the best with their MCIs. Oradell and Ironbound are ok, but I've seen them broken down here and there. Meadowlands....well SJP you know so I won't go there. lol

Lol them Meadowlands 7400s are truly run down to hell. The only thing I like about Howell is they really do keep there buses in tip top shape; well they have to because of those snobs.

Those buses do work on Route 9. But I aint gon lie, NJT should have gotten their CLs in 2007 when they made the 7100s. If they did, they wouldnt go so slow and I wouldnt see a CL on the 139 followed by another CL on the 67.

I rode 8303 twice, once on the 190 and on the 196 all the way to Warwick. That is one bad ass bus. Dude on the 196 rocked the hell outta that bus on Skyline Dr. If I worked at Wayne that would be "my" bus!

I'm kinda shocked at how well Meadowlands keeps the 8200s up. I figured thay would be as bad as some of the 7400s, but they ride nice and run very well. The 7400s....well they were nice when they were new, now they are just plain wore out. Meadowlands has abused those things, because I ridden Wayne's 74s and they don't bang or shift hard at all

To me it seems like Howell,Wayne and Fairview do the best with their MCIs. Oradell and Ironbound are ok, but I've seen them broken down here and there. Meadowlands....well SJP you know so I won't go there. lol

Well, I'll say this that the 7400's are not the best buses, IMO. 7443 scared the shit out of me. Low air on the left of the bus, like it was kneeling one time, and I had a bus load on the 129 to NY via Union City. I stop that bus by Toys R Us and said GIMME ANOTHER BUS NOW. There are some good 7400's left. Meadowlands really don't wear them down to be honest. Those 45's are mostly for 122, 128, 166, 167, 177, 190 trippers, 129 trippers, 121 trippers, 320 trippers, 308, 351/353, and occasionally when needed 123 morning trippers to NY and 126 rush hour trips. The CL's are mostly on the regular runs of the 129, 167, & 320.

This reminds me of one of our 40s n this mofo had a problem with the air brakes leaking air. I had bout 60lbs of pressure coming off at the Mays Landing 322/US40 exit from the Ac expway. Soon as I got it to stop I called control n told em to send me a bus right now or I'm leaving right here n going home. We got some drivers that don't do logs n they get away with it n ones like me get blamed for it and I do an air brake test on everybus I get n do full pre trips n I get blamed. When I did that air test it showed no signs of leaking which means the previous driver knew about the problem.

This reminds me of one of our 40s n this mofo had a problem with the air brakes leaking air. I had bout 60lbs of pressure coming off at the Mays Landing 322/US40 exit from the Ac expway. Soon as I got it to stop I called control n told em to send me a bus right now or I'm leaving right here n going home. We got some drivers that don't do logs n they get away with it n ones like me get blamed for it and I do an air brake test on everybus I get n do full pre trips n I get blamed. When I did that air test it showed no signs of leaking which means the previous driver knew about the problem.

I did that with NABI's one time, testing everything including the wheelchair lift. One bus that was BRAND NEW had a malfunctioning lift. So, I didn't take it out and told the depot clerk so my ass is covered. I was late pulling out but I wasn't written up since I had to check the new bus. The Union President saw what I was doing and had my back cuz the garage supervisor wanted to write me up. Well........guess not!

That's one thing that I hate: Monday-Friday, anyone can't get their bus till 20 minutes before it's time to go, and rush hour: forget it since the super don't want buses to leave early. F that. I want to have time to pre-trip everything and then yes I want to leave early so if I can beat traffic getting into NYC on a DHD, and allow me to do MY trip on time instead of switching me to do some other trip.

I found out some really interesting information this weekend. I was told that the 9000s are the most reliable of (NJT)'s MCIs while the 7100s are the worst. Which shocked the hell outta me....but then again 7167 did breakdown Friday night on the 319. They were trying to get guys on the 137/139's to stop but everybody was full. I'm sure those people were PISSED!

As far as the 7100s overheating, we have one D4500 spec'd with the C13 ACERT and that bus had a tons of issues with overheating when we got it. Finally they set the clutch fans to stay on all the time and that cured the problem. I've noticed that (NJT) has set the Meadowlands 7100s the same way. Academy did the same to the 8000s series also.....makes them loud as hell but reduces the problems.

And guys believe me I know all about how some of my co-workers don't write things up. One day I went though 5 buses in the ready line just to get one that was working correctly. I don't know if some guys are scared of the mechanics or think that they are some kind of hero for driving a crap bus, but I'm not risking my license dealing with bogus equipment.

7177, 83, 84, 85 all overheated the very first day they entered service here at EHG. 7185 still to this day is hardly in service. If you sit in the back of a 7100 during runs it is stupid hot in the back mainly the last 2 rows. In the summer it's crazy. You have to constantly watch the temp gauge. The 9000s were built exactly to the older D4500s that's why they are more realiable.

The CTs and CL(New Backs) have issues with overheating; I heard it had something to do with when the fans come on however don't hold me to that statement. But also when you get a bus with no coolant lol you can understand why it would overheat. Happened to one of our driver and I guess he ain't realize the bus didn't have any coolant and BAM lol.

Lol them Meadowlands 7400s are truly run down to hell. The only thing I like about Howell is they really do keep there buses in tip top shape; well they have to because of those snobs.

I twice had a 74xx on the 319, well it had a restroom but was only 40', so the bus was crowded...ran like sh*t too. The other time it going to NY it was a fast bus but the tranny was rough as heck.

7177, 83, 84, 85 all overheated the very first day they entered service here at EHG. 7185 still to this day is hardly in service. If you sit in the back of a 7100 during runs it is stupid hot in the back mainly the last 2 rows. In the summer it's crazy. You have to constantly watch the temp gauge. The 9000s were built exactly to the older D4500s that's why they are more realiable.

The CTs and CL(New Backs) have issues with overheating; I heard it had something to do with when the fans come on however don't hold me to that statement. But also when you get a bus with no coolant lol you can understand why it would overheat. Happened to one of our driver and I guess he ain't realize the bus didn't have any coolant and BAM lol.

No kidding I've seen 7185 breakdown twice, once at Toms River and the other time just past the NJTP Toll barrier for SR495. The 2nd time I was passing by on a 137, we didn't stop for them either and our bus was only half full.

I found out some really interesting information this weekend. I was told that the 9000s are the most reliable of (NJT)'s MCIs while the 7100s are the worst. Which shocked the hell outta me....but then again 7167 did breakdown Friday night on the 319. They were trying to get guys on the 137/139's to stop but everybody was full. I'm sure those people were PISSED!

Wonder where that breakdown occurred? In that case I guess they get a replacement bus from the nearest garage? Probably at least an hour delay for those folks. Those other buses could've stopped and had some riders stand, I witnessed a 137 from TR to NY a couple weekends ago leave with ppl standing. And that's a long ride!

As far as the 7100s go the CT's seem slower and run worse, the CL's run better but they do get hot. The CT's are uncomfortable as heck with that MTA seating style...

Wonder where that breakdown occurred? In that case I guess they get a replacement bus from the nearest garage? Probably at least an hour delay for those folks. Those other buses could've stopped and had some riders stand, I witnessed a 137 from TR to NY a couple weekends ago leave with ppl standing. And that's a long ride!

As far as the 7100s go the CT's seem slower and run worse, the CL's run better but they do get hot. The CT's are uncomfortable as heck with that MTA seating style...

The way I understand 7167 was almost to the Parkway when they broke down. You gotta remember Howell throws a crapload of CNGs on the 137 and 139, they only stand 2...so if you left the PABT with 2 standing then you really can't stop. It's a crappy situation that (NJT) should have rectified a long time ago with the CNGs. 2 standees is worthless....espcially with a 40 footer. The diesel 40s can stand 15-20.....(NJT) should have worked with MCI to get the CNGs to the same standard.

• 2 weeks later...
NJ Transit bus overcrowding: 319 bus to NY at 7pm in Toms River Dec.26.2011 - YouTube

7182 thankfully did not break down going up a bridge

side note: this footage was filmed by the same guy who filmed the (MTA) Long Island buses not showing up

First off, any regional supervisor would write any B/O up for having standees on a 90 minute bus ride. Totally against the rules.

Item 1 - During my time at NJT, I was told when I was doing the 308, 319, 137, and 139: NO STANDEES.

Item 2 - NJT did mess up by not having extra buses on X-Mas, I agree. NJT did the same on 7/5/08 - Full bus out from AC, 35% got off at TR, and there was at least a line 100 deep going to NY. I was able to get about maybe 30. I said I couldn't take any more people and I even called control center to cover my ass. The F'ed up thing was there was a CNG on the other side of the P/R waiting for something. MOFO, you're a 137: Take them!

Item 3 - The dude that is doing the commendatory has valid points but needs to STFU. He got a seat. He should be glad and one of the lucky ones. And I don't blame the B/O for shutting the lights off cuz I would of done the same damn thing. Still, that B/O should of called Control and informed CC what's going on so they could call Howell or another near by bus to pick up the passengers.

This is an Egg Harbor driver and you can take standees between PABT & TR. Howell takes standees also, and I've seen Meadowlands do it also.

It's not banned "for say" they just don't want what almost happened in the video. 7182 nearly breaking down going up the hill. The bus is suppose to handle that load going up the hill, it was made to handle standees but what a lot of ppl don't realize njt "plays" with their buses too much. There is a pretty good hill on the 553 on full seated 57 ppl the bus has trouble going up it, why because njt screws there buses up. These buses were tested to go up steep hills with 57/15.

The standee rule is unpon driver request, meaning if he don't want to take standees then he won't. Some regionals don't want it but will yell at you if you leave pax.

553, you know we're cool but I don't know my brother. Maybe it's a different rule from North Jersey to South Jersey. Obviously, lines that are going a short distance (320, 166, 167, 190, 128, 123, 126, etc) can take standees but NJT North always told me that no one will appreciate standing over 60-90 minutes, damn near 2 hours on Parkway and Turnpike speeds, even if the bus didn't have the governor on it. I know too many Regionals that are very uptight about that and will write anyone up in a second for seeing that. Hell, when I was doing the 308, one time, I had 61 people, and the regional wanted to write me up right there at Six Flags until I told her that they have little babies and they're sitting on their family's lap to avoid issues. They're REALLY uptight about that.

Archived