MTA/NICE Relationship

Moving forward, MTA and NICE will form a relationship. It appears the fareboxes, and MTA owned buses will be leased to Veolia. There is an option on the last LIB order which will likely be advertised soon. This means Nassau will get Orion VII 3G CNG's in the coming year. I'm hearing 40-50 buses. The option was for about 80 buses.

More details to come soon.

Moving forward, MTA and NICE will form a relationship. It appears the fareboxes, and MTA owned buses will be leased to Veolia. There is an option on the last LIB order which will likely be advertised soon. This means Nassau will get Orion VII 3G CNG's in the coming year. I'm hearing 40-50 buses. The option was for about 80 buses.

Do you know how much they're gonna be paying for all this??

I thought Nassau County owned the buses.

Do you know how much they're gonna be paying for all this??

I have no idea.

I thought Nassau County owned the buses.

Not 1760-1839. Those are MTA's.

I sure hope the relationship means the continuation of MetroCard usage...

(Especially unlimiteds like mine.)

That's why they are leasing the fareboxes.

Really? Is the MTA gonna sell them to Nassau County?
Don't quote me, as I have to find out the details. By law, MTA can't sell the buses because they were mostly purchased with fed funds. MTA picked up the rest. Because these buses are for Nassau county, it appears as MTA will lease the equipment to Veolia. It's going to be interesting to see how this details on this new order for Long Island will work out.

The option total was for 80 buses IIRC.

For how long? NICE is gonna end up increasing fares anyways in the future.

Yeah, well, I guess we have to cross that bridge when we get there. They have some type of express service on the table.

I don't know if I said this or not, but 80 isn't enough to retire the older Orions. There'll still be about 20 left.

1600-1632 are in better shape then most of 1526-1599 most of these are done.

Not 1760-1839. Those are MTA's.

I thought those buses were purchased with Federal funds (plus some MTA input) and titled to Nassau County.

That's why they are leasing the fareboxes.

Fareboxes are separate from buses. In Westchester, Liberty Lines operates county-owned buses with MTA-owned fareboxes.

For how long? NICE is gonna end up increasing fares anyways in the future.

They can't do that since their fare payment is via metrocard so all fare increases have to be done by the MTA!!!!! So if MTA doesn't increase the fare then NICE can't increase the fare period! read the first post I knew this was going to happen all along. Told you people to stay optimistic. Guess what metrocards work done now enjoy your NICE service no cuts means no cuts do you understand.

I predict come 2013 there will be a restructuring to try and mold the system to attract mainstream ridership a.k.a choice riders

They can't do that since their fare payment is via metrocard so all fare increases have to be done by the MTA!!!!! So if MTA doesn't increase the fare then NICE can't increase the fare period! read the first post I knew this was going to happen all along. Told you people to stay optimistic. Guess what metrocards work done now enjoy your NICE service no cuts means no cuts do you understand.

I predict come 2013 there will be a restructuring to try and mold the system to attract mainstream ridership a.k.a choice riders

Wrong, BxM4C had a fare increase independent of the MTA express buses. It now only has a free pay per ride transfer from the bus only, not to the bus.

The Private Bus Lines before MTA takeover had cheaper base fares (fare stayed the same from until takeover) and all transfer privileges, so fares do not exactly have to match the MTA at all times.

On the off-chance that Nassau gets back with the (MTA), what about those 3Gs?

I'm not sure what you mean when you say "what about those 3G's."

I thought those buses were purchased with Federal funds (plus some MTA input) and titled to Nassau County.

Fareboxes are separate from buses. In Westchester, Liberty Lines operates county-owned buses with MTA-owned fareboxes.

They were purchased 80% with TIGER funds for Nassau. They are MTA buses.

As far as the fareboxed go, I pretty much explained that when I said "That's why they are leasing the fareboxes." So I'm not sure if I missed something, or you were trying to make a point.....

Wrong answer!!! NICE can do whatever they want, and it has nothing to do with the MTA. Where do you get "no cuts" from? I'm pretty sure cuts will come before years end 2012.

Wrong answer!!! NICE can do whatever they want, and it has nothing to do with the MTA. Where do you get "no cuts" from? I'm pretty sure cuts will come before years end 2012.

as always, ENY is right on the money! Lets not forget that the Port Authority accepts Metrocard on 2 of its systems (PATH and AirTrain JFK) and both have separately priced fares($2.00-soon to be 2.25 and in a few years as high as $3 possibly for PATH and $5 for AirTrain). thats what good about a P-P-R Metrocard. Any amout can be deducted from it depending on the system

That's not true at all.

they can charge what ever they want, just by programing the fare boxes on the buses.

In the PBL days, Triboro had a $1 off peak fare and took MetroCard, If you transfered the machines took off the extra 50 cents when you got on the other (non triboro) bus or the subway.

Even today, it's $7 or $7.50 (I don't remember and I'm too busy to look) on the BxM4c and that takes MetroCard, becuase Bee-line set the price.

The off peak fare (1.00) could only be paid in coins only.

Metrocard would take off 1.50 all times.

Private Bus Fares Increasing? - Straphangers.Org Rider Diaries

Green Bus Lines fare ??? - Straphangers.Org Rider Diaries

That's not true at all.

they can charge what ever they want, just by programing the fare boxes on the buses.

In the PBL days, Triboro had a $1 off peak fare and took MetroCard, If you transfered the machines took off the extra 50 cents when you got on the other (non triboro) bus or the subway.

Even today, it's $7 or $7.50 (I don't remember and I'm too busy to look) on the BxM4c and that takes MetroCard, becuase Bee-line set the price.

I will give NICE a chance 1st before screaming on the top of my lungs for nothing

That's not true at all.

All PBLs had the $1 off-peak fares. it was a life saver at times on Green Lines back in da days.

The off peak fare (1.00) could only be paid in coins only.

Metrocard would take off 1.50 all times.

Private Bus Fares Increasing? - Straphangers.Org Rider Diaries

Green Bus Lines fare ??? - Straphangers.Org Rider Diaries

that was true. i found that out the hard way the first time. lol

Archived