Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Donald

Conductor and T/O to Become Same Job Title?

What the heck does this mean, and how would it work if implemented?

"Consolidate the titles of Train

Operator and Conductor into

a single Civil Service Title with

two (2) levels."

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/dec15flyer_rto.pdf

Why would management want this and how would it save them money? Doesn't this have some benefits from the employee's standpoint, since when your hired as a condcutor, your also automatically a T/O and don't have to wait until the next promotion exam is given?

What the heck does this mean, and how would it work if implemented?

"Consolidate the titles of Train

Operator and Conductor into

a single Civil Service Title with

two (2) levels."

http://www.twulocal100.org/sites/twulocal100.org/files/dec15flyer_rto.pdf

Why would management want this and how would it save them money? Doesn't this have some benefits from the employee's standpoint, since when your hired as a condcutor, your also automatically a T/O and don't have to wait until the next promotion exam is given?

Unless something goes through Albany this isnt happening..

These are Civil Service Jobs (the ones that got hired from the lists,now that the MTA has taken over the next Lists im not sure). There are steps that need to be taken there before this can happen.

I wont even get into the training any C/R (4 to 6 Months) you need to become a T/O..

This isnt a Contract thing (Sorta like the pension thing of three years ago) this would have to be a State thing.

they wont have to hire those of us on the open competitive list if conductors can operate the train :cry: . thats my guess

Dont lose any sleep on it Unless Albany does something this is another MTA smoke Job...

Is this demand from the MTA the same as OPTO? To me, it souds different. I interpret it as beig a system in which one would rotate between being a C/R or a T/O, with their pay adjusted depending on whether they are working as a C/R or T/O. So essentially, if this were to go through, then all of us on the 8094 list would have to go through both C/R and T/O school car at the same time. We would have to know both jobs. I personally see no problem with it since it is a fast track to being a T/O, because the next T/O exam is going to be several years away.

It would be unusual though, because in civil service it is unheard of to have 2 job titles simutaneously. It's like the NYPD telling cops that they will rotate between being sergeants and police officiers depending on the day of the week.

Is this demand from the MTA the same as OPTO? To me, it souds different. I interpret it as beig a system in which one would rotate between being a C/R or a T/O, with their pay adjusted depending on whether they are working as a C/R or T/O. So essentially, if this were to go through, then all of us on the 8094 list would have to go through both C/R and T/O school car at the same time. We would have to know both jobs. I personally see no problem with it since it is a fast track to being a T/O, because the next T/O exam is going to be several years away.

It would be unusual though, because in civil service it is unheard of to have 2 job titles simutaneously. It's like the NYPD telling cops that they will rotate between being sergeants and police officiers depending on the day of the week.

Its not going to happen so don't loose any sleep over it.

Dont worry about it..

Dont worry about it..

You mean dont worry about it for the time being or forseeable future. If Transit thinks this will save them any substancial amount of money, they'll try to go for it, a well trained person can pull this off. And if Albany thinks this is something they can do to claim they are helping the MTA balance their budget, they'll go for it. Afterall, whats the backlash? New Yorkers dont give a rat's ass about Transit employees and in a general sense, their own safety. We all need to realize that in 30 years time or less and one way or the other SA's and most RTO personel will be gone in place of automated systems.

You mean dont worry about it for the time being or forseeable future.

Yes thats what i meant...