Orion assigns CNG Contract to New Flyer

East New York

On July 25, 2011, MTA advertised a solicitation for 74 new CNG buses, with an option for up to 30 more. 8 Bus manufactures were notified of the solicitation.

Daimler, DesignLine, and New Flyer all attended the pre-proposal conference in August. Initial proposals were received by the MTA in September by Orion and New Flyer only. Negotiations were conducted in October.

Orion VII E10 "3G" CNG $31,788,339

-$31,606,362 for 74 buses @ $431,167 Each

-$82,577 for qualified testing, manuals, and diagnostic tools.

-$45,000 for tailpipe emission profile testing.

-$74,400 for training

MTA has one year to exercise the options for the same price.

4 Pilot buses are scheduled to be delivered in June 2012. One of the buses will be for in service testing, and the other three will be for configuration audit and qualification testing.

Delivery of the production buses will begin in November, and be completed in December.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/f90/mta-award-order-74-new-cngs-orion-26883.html

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Finally, a prediction that came true, the 3G CNG. This is going to be interesting.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Now...... any proposed numbers??? MTABC or NYCTA??

All MTABC. The numbers may follow the New Flyer order.

Preliminary details call for 30 to Spring Creek, and 44 to College Point. However, like everything with MTA, that is subject to change.

All MTABC. The numbers may follow the New Flyer order.

Preliminary details call for 30 to Spring Creek, and 44 to College Point. However, like everything with MTA, that is subject to change.

well that was obvious. thank you :cool::cool:. I'll stay tune.

You mean to tell me that Orion and NOT New Flyer won the 74 CNG bus thing? That's bullshit. We have enough of this shit rolling around town, we don't need anymore. I wanted New Flyer to get this. Not happy at all about this. :tdown::tdown::tdown::mad:B)

Finally, a prediction that came true, the 3G CNG. This is going to be interesting.

:cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Now...... any proposed numbers??? MTABC or NYCTA??

Same as the initial report of the C40LFs

2012 Daimler Orion 07.501 CNG Low Floor Assignments:

Spring Creek 570-599 (30)

College Point 600-643 (44)

You mean to tell me that Orion and NOT New Flyer won the 74 CNG bus thing? That's bullshit. We have enough of this shit rolling around town, we don't need anymore. I wanted New Flyer to get this. Not happy at all about this. :tdown::tdown::tdown::mad:B)

Yeah F'd me up in the street when I got the call about the change from my contact, hell even he was F'd up because he was told New Flyer had it too.

Yeah F'd me up in the street when I got the call about the change from my contact, hell even he was F'd up because he was told New Flyer had it too.

You and me both! When I got that follow up call saying that it was definitely Orion I almost passed out!

This bus is hot!!! PLEASE!!! dont give it a ZF transmission like the Epa 3g

I should know the preliminary details on Tuesday.

Last Friday (12/16), I rode Orion "3G" #7006 on the Q1 and I must say...the bus looked great BUT that engine I do not approve. I mean sure, this is the MTA and all BUT there are some engines that go with certain buses. That's just my opinion. Again, the bus itself looks hot!

Unfortunately Cummins is the only option available for most all North American transit coaches. Ford is optional with Bluways/ISE hybrid systems.

You and me both! When I got that follow up call saying that it was definitely Orion I almost passed out!

I should know the preliminary details on Tuesday.

Unfortunately Cummins is the only option available for most all North American transit coaches. Ford is optional with Bluways/ISE hybrid systems.

I've heard that Orion is so displeased with the ISL that they are working with Navistar to develop an engine that will be exclusive to their buses...is there any truth to this??

You mean to tell me that Orion and NOT New Flyer won the 74 CNG bus thing? That's bullshit. We have enough of this shit rolling around town, we don't need anymore. I wanted New Flyer to get this. Not happy at all about this. :tdown::tdown::tdown::mad::(

I actually wanted Orion to get this one. This adds more variety to the fleet. Now there will be brand new 3G's running alongside C40's. I think its great! It also gives MTA the chance to evaluate the newest Orion CNG.

Nice, nice to see the TA kept up the tradition of spitting CNG orders between New Flyer & Orion. :cool:

I hope that assignment for these buses stays true! I love to see these on the B103.

Spring Creek is going to be the place to be next year!

This bus is hot!!! PLEASE!!! dont give it a ZF transmission like the Epa 3g

I confirmed they are going to be ZF transmissions.

I've heard that Orion is so displeased with the ISL that they are working with Navistar to develop an engine that will be exclusive to their buses...is there any truth to this??

I haven't heard anything about that, but I can sure find out straight from the source. Daimler owns Detroit Diesel and they need to put those back on the table. In my opinion, it is a waste of money for Orion to go with a new company when DD is already in the family. They should have never discontinued the DD transit line in the first place.

As far as a review of the Cummins, its a good engine, but it doesn't last as long as a DD in my opinion. The upside is the fact that Cummins engines do not suffer the power loss that DD's do when they get old.

4 Pilot buses are scheduled to be delivered in June 2012. One of the buses will be for in service testing, and the other three will be for configuration audit and qualification testing.

Delivery of the production buses will begin in November, and be completed in December.

http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/f90/mta-award-order-74-new-cngs-orion-26883.html

is the delivery still schedule or june 2012 for the pilot , that a long ass time

I finally rode a 3G on the B6 this morning - #7037... It's actually a nice ride, but the operator was a bit rough on the brakes which made me grip the pole a bit harder, but still overall nice. It's weird to see the 3Gs with the partition's installed. lol And the seating style in the rear is something I'm against, as there's more seats, but less standing room; it looks tight back there.

Archived