Orion assigns CNG Contract to New Flyer

East New York

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So, are we getting C40LFRs now? The article said they'd be virtually identical to the C40LFs, but I thought MTA ordered the last LF shells with that order.

New Flyer should still have C40LF old-style kits. The order will continue right through after Gleason back to Spring Creek...presumably 570-599, and then CP gets the 600s.

Man are we gonna have a ton of C40s. I was actually looking forward to Orions just for some diversity, and now the question is if they'll just scrap the pilot. I like those C40s though, so I can live with a few more. Man though, from 189 through the 600s, that's a lot of buses!

Not surprised, this occurred. It would've been kind of awkward (IMO) to have just only have 74 buses from Orion as our last of them. Plus from what I was informed Orion's not making too much of a last production as their buses have been still plauged with problems (frame issues, some quality issues etc.).

In other news it really looks like New Flyer is appearing & upcoming to be the next backbone in the NYCT Fleet for over the next few years. I personally hope they prove why they should be too considering what transpired here. NF let's go!! :)

ORION ASSIGNS FTA-FUNDED NEW YORK CITY TRANSIT CONTRACT FOR 74 CNG BUSES TO NEW FLYER

Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada – July 26, 2012: (TSX:NFI, TSX:NFI.UN, TSX:NFI.DB.U) New Flyer Industries Inc. (“New Flyer” or the “Company”), the leading manufacturer of heavy-duty transit buses in Canada and the United States, announced today that Daimler Buses North America, Inc (“DBNA”), has assigned to New Flyer its contract with New York City Transit Authority and the MTA Bus Company (together, “NYCT”) to build 74 heavy-duty 40-foot CNG buses. The contract includes an additional 30 option buses that will not be ordered at this time.

This assignment is a result of DBNA’s decision announced on April 25, 2012 to exit production of heavy duty transit buses for the US and Canadian markets. The base order for the assigned US Federal Transit Administration funded contract (74 buses) will commence production in August 2012, all of which are expected to be delivered to NYCT by the end of the year. Final assembly of these buses will take place in New Flyer’s Crookston, Minnesota facility.

The buses will be virtually identical to New Flyer’s existing contract with NYCT for 385 buses currently in production. This contract assignment further extends the long standing partnership between New Flyer and NYCT by providing a proven and reliable product, supported by New Flyer warranty, service and lifetime customer care.

“Delivering to NYCT requirements was our top priority,” said Paul Soubry, New Flyer’s President and Chief Executive Officer. “We are pleased that we could react so quickly due to DBNA’s transition plan with a solution that met NYCT needs by continuing the build of our current bus production run.”

This assigned contact was part of the group of orders for 483 new buses (613 equivalent units or “EUs”) and options for 40 buses (60 EUs) noted in the New Flyer press release of July 16, 2012 as pending from a number of customers where approval had been granted by the customer's board, council, or commission, as appropriate, but purchase documentation had not yet been received by the Company and therefore not yet included in the backlog

http://newflyer.com/index/2012_07_16_orion_assignment_to_new_flyer

Man are we gonna have a ton of C40s. I was actually looking forward to Orions just for some diversity, and now the question is if they'll just scrap the pilot. I like those C40s though, so I can live with a few more. Man though, from 189 through the 600s, that's a lot of buses!

No worries, Orion 7s are practically everywhere too, just not the NG CNG version.

I too think it's a good thing SC will have a fleet from a single company rather than a split because they only have 2 local routes. Had it been JG, then it would've made more sense to give them the O7 3g CNG buses.

Not surprised, this occurred. It would've been kind of awkward (IMO) to have just only have 74 buses from Orion as our last of them. Plus from what I was informed Orion's not making too much of a last production as their buses have been still plauged with problems (frame issues, some quality issues etc.).

In other news it really looks like New Flyer is appearing & upcoming to be the next backbone in the NYCT Fleet for over the next few years. I personally hope they prove why they should be too considering what transpired here. NF let's go!! :)

Yeah between New Flyer and Novabus. I wish it was C40LFR try something different, but it did make sense, because 74 buses isn't nothing and all of SC and CP drivers will have to be trainned.

Yeah between New Flyer and Novabus. I wish it was C40LFR try something different, but it did make sense, because 74 buses isn't nothing and all of SC and CP drivers will have to be trainned.

naa if mta got the c40lfrs they wouldnt need to train its exactly the same just outside exterior specs are different

East New York always coming through in the clutch. This is rather shocking to me as DBNA made it a point that they were going to fill any existing orders before divesting the Orion brand.

This may be a case in which Daimler has a deadline to close the Mississauga plant. I would also be surprised if this wasn't the only contract transferred.

So these buses are scheduled by the end of the year, will there be a gap in deliveries or will buses be coming in straight through the end of the year?

They are supposed to come straight through followimg the current order.

naa if mta got the c40lfrs they wouldnt need to train its exactly the same just outside exterior specs are different

-_- should of expected this...

I mean I love C40's & allll; but dammm thats too muchhhhhhhh

i would of been a whole lot better to get XN40

would of been equivalent to the 3G's since the operators had to be

trained anyways

the mta already evaluated the bus

C40LF's and C40LFR's are not exactly the same. There is a slight structural difference which the MTA has not approved. As far as the XN4 goes, I will again say the the Xcelsior is not approved yet, therefor the MTA would not have ordered them anyway. Besides that, it would be just plane dumb for the buses to be anything other that LF's as the maintenance and parts costs would rise.

East New York always coming through in the clutch. This is rather shocking to me as DBNA made it a point that they were going to fill any existing orders before divesting the Orion brand.

This may be a case in which Daimler has a deadline to close the Mississauga plant. I would also be surprised if this wasn't the only contract transferred.

It had nothing to do with Daimler. MTA however had some concerns about the order, and Daimler agreed to transfer the contract. 4 pilot buses have already been built as well, and MTA declined to accept any of them. They will now be sold to another agency or agencies.

This only gets interesting. New Flyer will be very happy in the upcoming years with the MTA

It's far more important that the MTA be happy with NFI. Time will tell.

It had nothing to do with Daimler. MTA however had some concerns about the order, and Daimler agreed to transfer the contract. 4 pilot buses have already been built as well, and MTA declined to accept any of them. They will now be sold to another agency or agencies.

That's what I suspected - thanks for confirming this.

No different than being Orion's bitches :P

I always preferred NF anyway. Even the CNGs at JG shows that NF is just better overall over O7s imo.

No one there loves the 7s, they all slow and clunky (except for a few good ones) lol

Them old C40s are dropping like flies, most of the good ones are retired. But those 200s are pretty good, the 300s & 400s, not so much

Archived