Orion assigns CNG Contract to New Flyer

East New York

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

the newer ones (300,400,500) are equipped with that load based scheduling thing in the transmission, those buses hit 6th gear at like 35mph lol

All the new buses are equipped with the LBSS. It's a matter of whether they have them on or not.

All the new buses are equipped with the LBSS. It's a matter of whether they have them on or not.

Every bus that has them have it on automatically. There's no way to turn it off unless you plus a computer to the back and change the shifting pattern.

At least with the Xcelsiors, although they have them they still shift at the right RPM

Every bus that has them have it on automatically. There's no way to turn it off unless you plus a computer to the back and change the shifting pattern.

At least with the Xcelsiors, although they have them they still shift at the right RPM

For the most part, you're right. But I wouldn't say automatically because some of the 200s here up in Queens don't got them on yet. Some of them do but not all of them lol. Most of the 500s here got them on IIRC.

The QV Xcelsiors took them a long ass time to get them activated. When the delivery completed and the mass were getting their LBSS activated, 4810 & 4825 IIRC were the only two at QV with them on. Now they all have them on.

The Allison Novas took a long time to get them activated as well.

For the most part, you're right. But I wouldn't say automatically because some of the 200s here up in Queens don't got them on yet. Some of them do but not all of them lol. Most of the 500s here got them on IIRC.

The QV Xcelsiors took them a long ass time to get them activated. When the delivery completed and the mass were getting their LBSS activated, 4810 & 4825 IIRC were the only two at QV with them on. Now they all have them on.

The Allison Novas took a long time to get them activated as well.

and 4821 too first ones

No one there loves the 7s, they all slow and clunky (except for a few good ones) lol

Them old C40s are dropping like flies, most of the good ones are retired. But those 200s are pretty good, the 300s & 400s, not so much

How Much I bet those Orion VII CNG's will make their Way to College Point and SC, and JG gets the 74 buses, I can Tell JG wants to be a 100% NF depot, its obvious

How Much I bet those Orion VII CNG's will make their Way to College Point and SC, and JG gets the 74 buses, I can Tell JG wants to be a 100% NF depot, its obvious

I don't know, but I believe it would be better if the Orion VII's stayed where they are. JG had those buses since they first came and now for SC and CP to get them would make no sense. They will need to be trained to drive those Orion VII's. But i believe CP is going to get something else besides the New Flyers. They will have 138 local buses and I think they had 150 or 165 buses months before the C40's came.

I don't know, but I believe it would be better if the Orion VII's stayed where they are. JG had those buses since they first came and now for SC and CP to get them would make no sense. They will need to be trained to drive those Orion VII's. But i believe CP is going to get something else besides the New Flyers. They will have 138 local buses and I think they had 150 or 165 buses months before the C40's came.

SC wont need training as they already have the hybrid variants. I don't think CP would need training either.

I don't blame them. Those O7 Cngs just suck. That would just be so awesome if the whole depot was just NFs, but I really doubt that will happen till the day those O7s are retired, which isn't anytime soon. So as much as I'd like a single fleet for JG, I think CP and SC needs to be all NF because their fleet size isn't as big as JG is. JG will be fine.

I don't blame them. Those O7 Cngs just suck. That would just be so awesome if the whole depot was just NFs, but I really doubt that will happen till the day those O7s are retired, which isn't anytime soon. So as much as I'd like a single fleet for JG, I think CP and SC needs to be all NF because their fleet size isn't as big as JG is. JG will be fine.

Yeah True, But It would be smart to send Most of the 0G CNG's to CP and SC, and let JG have 100% NF's and the remaining O7 OG's go to WF and on top of that SC has Orion VII parts, CP can get em to balance out their fleet, I rather CP have some OG O7's to replace the remaining Orion V's while JG gets the 74 NF's

Not quite true. I'm an Allison guy but the ZF's are the best O7 CNG variant. Ride any 77xx and up and you'll see how they haul ass.

Not quite true. I'm an Allison guy but the ZF's are the best O7 CNG variant. Ride any 77xx and up and you'll see how they haul ass.

I've been on a few that have hauled some ass and some that have some interesting sounds to them like this one

7762 heard here

Yeah True, But It would be smart to send Most of the 0G CNG's to CP and SC, and let JG have 100% NF's and the remaining O7 OG's go to WF and on top of that SC has Orion VII parts, CP can get em to balance out their fleet, I rather CP have some OG O7's to replace the remaining Orion V's while JG gets the 74 NF's

But why do the indirect moves? Simplify things and make CP and SC one local bus fleet only. Send the new buses to SC, displace those hybrids to LGA/BP and retire those ex-BL O5s. I'm sure parts can always be sent over to the depot that needs them...

Send the new buses to CP directly and outright retire the O5 Cngs.

Well basing my opinion on the 75xx-7620s here at JG. I hate these buses, these I won't care if they go.

I gotta try those 7700s in the Bronx...

Yes somebody understands. JG drivers are used to those Orion VII, so keep them there. CP and SC need to get rid of the Orion V CNG's all together so they can have one fleet at the depots. Besides JG has a whole bunch of New Flyers they will have over 200 New Flyers.

Well basing my opinion on the 75xx-7620s here at JG. I hate these buses, these I won't care if they go.

Honestly, I think it's more the maintenance than the buses. The C40LFs get most of the attention from JG and a lot of the O7s have fallen into bad shape, but if you ride an overhauled bus or one in good condition you'll see they're not that awful. I actually like some of that series, and I'd hate if they went, just for the fact that it'd mean there were no DD50 buses at Gleason for the first time in a good 18 or so years.

With CP, it doesn't really matter if they have all one bus model, or several because of the size of it's operations. SC however only needs one type of bus for many reasons which include maintenance and logistics.

Also, all 74 buses are for SC and CP only as of right now.

Honestly, I think it's more the maintenance than the buses. The C40LFs get most of the attention from JG and a lot of the O7s have fallen into bad shape, but if you ride an overhauled bus or one in good condition you'll see they're not that awful. I actually like some of that series, and I'd hate if they went, just for the fact that it'd mean there were no DD50 buses at Gleason for the first time in a good 18 or so years.

Enjoy them while you can because eventually they are supposed to be re-powered with Cummins engines.

But it's been stated that those 74 buses are straight MTA Bus only. Gleason isn't gonna be all C40LFs, they just basically doing a bus for bus replacement of the older ones. There's still gonna be some old ones left over

But it's been stated that those 74 buses are straight MTA Bus only. Gleason isn't gonna be all C40LFs, they just basically doing a bus for bus replacement of the older ones. There's still gonna be some old ones left over

Correct - MTA Bus Company and New York City Transit are separate legal entities, and the capital money to purchase buses is accounted for and reported publicly. The money to purchase those 74 buses has been specifically allocated for the MTAB routes - NYCT cannot just decide 'Oh, we'll take those, thanks - here, use these 10-year-old buses instead'.

Let me see if I can spit a little knowledge into the game. *Ahem*

9827, 9829-9831, 9834, 9842, 9843, 9845-9846, 9856, 9864, 9870, 9881, 9911, 9928 = 15

800, 802-914(112), 916-958(42), 960-989(30)=185

7560-7624=65

Total Amount of OLD buses = 265 Buses

230-265 = 36

320-490 = 171

Total Amount of NEW Buses Entering Depot = 207

ALL C40LFs and ALL Orion V CNGs in JG will be retired, which is a total of 200 buses. There are service restorations and service improvements, Not to mention Losing 4 Orion VII CNGs to West Farms, once again. So that is 204 buses being replaced. With that being said, there is literally, a bus for bus transitions with a spare set of 3 buses!!!

Why in the world would 65 Orion VII CNGs go to CP and SC when the 74 bus order is STRICTLY MTA Bus?!?! Don't worry, I'll wait......

Take it from someone who has driven them, they suck!!! After 8 years of them having those buses, they FINALLY get it that the buses are too heavy to get out of their own way. They were bad buses from day one! The BEST ones out all 65 that JG has are from 7560-7589, and that's not by much! The steering is horrible, the braking is horrible, the suspension is horrible, the whole bus is HORRIBLE!!!!

With CP, it doesn't really matter if they have all one bus model, or several because of the size of it's operations. SC however only needs one type of bus for many reasons which include maintenance and logistics.

Enjoy them while you can because eventually they are supposed to be re-powered with Cummins engines.

And I cannot wait for those buses to be repowered!!!!!

Yep, just like 7691 and 7746.

Archived