Operating an R46 from the B-car

error46146

In theory, wouldn't it be possible to operate an R46 from the B-car? Behind the fake wood panel at the end of the car under the emergency brake, there is a little control panel complete with a brake pressure meter..could one operate the train using that if needed?

In theory, wouldn't it be possible to operate an R46 from the B-car? Behind the fake wood panel at the end of the car under the emergency brake, there is a little control panel complete with a brake pressure meter..could one operate the train using that if needed?

I don't think all of them have it, but yes, I believe those are operator's panels. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

I know what your talking about and I think it can.

I know what your talking about and I think it can.

You can't operate an R46 from a B car. Pre GOH the B and A cars had hostler controllers but they were removed from all cars except the one AB set. Even that was removed a few years ago and those cars have been stripped for parts.

You can't operate an R46 from a B car. Pre GOH the B and A cars had hostler controllers but they were removed from all cars except the one AB set. Even that was removed a few years ago and those cars have been stripped for parts.

I heard that AB set 6206/7 is gonna get scrapped, To be honest I hope is it not true, that AB set should had stayed at Jamaica

I've read past threads about T/O's operating cars from the C/R's position in special emergency situations in past years, with the C/R using the radio and standing at the front of the train to tell the T/O what was in front of him. Is this ever done anymore?

That's very different, it's called other then head end operation. The T/O or M/I operates from another operating position. The C/R flags via radio or flashlight from the open end. It's still done when needed.

I've read past threads about T/O's operating cars from the C/R's position in special emergency situations in past years, with the C/R using the radio and standing at the front of the train to tell the T/O what was in front of him. Is this ever done anymore?

That's very different, it's called other then head end operation. The T/O or M/I operates from another operating position. The C/R flags via radio or flashlight from the open end. It's still done when needed.

It's done in yards all the time, but rare in revenue service.

To be more correct, the T/O is supposed to set up his new operating position when needed to do so in the first, forward-facing position with a functional Master Controller and Brake Valve on SMEE equipment while the C/R, if supervision isn't available, must flag from front end using constant positive communication. If that new T/O's position happens to be the C/R's original operating position then so be it. A brake pipe rupture is another animal altogether that I hope to never experience beyond qualification. :cry: lol

To be more correct, the T/O is supposed to set up his new operating position when needed to do so in the first, forward-facing position with a functional Master Controller and Brake Valve on SMEE equipment while the C/R, if supervision isn't available, must flag from front end using constant positive communication. If that new T/O's position happens to be the C/R's original operating position then so be it. A brake pipe rupture is another animal altogether that I hope to never experience beyond qualification. :cry: lol

I'm sure you're talking about the real one not the pulled cord (which I've already had on..... you guessed it, the (C)).

It's done in yards all the time, but rare in revenue service

Had a Slant 40 give me issues leaving Fordham Rd the frist two cars crapped out. Me and my C/R did other than head end up to Bed Park..

It was great Radio we had the Enitre B2 listening to us.. (We forgot to go to Train to train)

Had a Slant 40 give me issues leaving Fordham Rd the frist two cars crapped out. Me and my C/R did other than head end up to Bed Park..

It was great Radio we had the Enitre B2 listening to us.. (We forgot to go to Train to train)

Someone i know did that on the Brighton line several years ago with some R68s during the mid day. Him and his T/O were on yard with the radios and they shut down CIY since the yard had to stay off the air.

Archived