Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Shortline Bus

Presidential election 2012: Majority of Americans want the campaign season to be over

"There are more than 300 days until the presidential election--and most Americans already wish it was over.

A whopping 70% of respondents polled by USA Today/Gallup said they can't wait for the race to end, compared to just 26% who say they can't wait for it to begin.

Election fatigue was even starker in battleground states where presidential hopefuls have been ferociously campaigning. In key states like Ohio, Pennsylvania and Michigan, an overwhelming 75% said they want the election season to end."

Presidential election 2012: Majority of Americans  want the campaign season to be over   - NY Daily News

Guest lance25

Of course most want it over. We're tired of being bombarded with campaign ads all over the TV, radio and internet telling us who to vote for. Between the ever expanding campaign season, pushed up caucuses and the Supreme Court ruling that allows corporations to dole out as much money as they want towards a campaign (meaning more ads), said ads seem to be inescapable, especially if you happen to live in a battleground state.

Of course most want it over. We're tired of being bombarded with campaign ads all over the TV, radio and internet telling us who to vote for. Between the ever expanding campaign season, pushed up caucuses and the Supreme Court ruling that allows corporations to dole out as much money as they want towards a campaign (meaning more ads), said ads seem to be inescapable, especially if you happen to live in a battleground state.

What sad this is longer than a major plot on a soap opera.:eek: The American Pres. campaign is now basically a 18-month campaign starting in summer (this case the first major debates in August 2011) and ending in November 2012. Unless you Chris Matthews, Pat Buchanan, Sean Hannity and those analysts/newspeople who carrer involves politics, this is overkill. This is the biggest negative of the full time 24/7 Cable News/political channels like MSNBC, CNN and Fox News.

I much rather the systems used in the UK and Canada in which campaigns are only 3-4 months after the Prime Minster calls for national elections.

What sad this is longer than a major plot on a soap opera.:eek: The American Pres. campaign is now basically a 18-month campaign starting in summer (this case August 2011) and ending in November 2012. Unless you Chris Matthews, Pat Buchanan, Sean Hannity and those analysts/newspeople who carrer involves politics, this is overkill. This is the biggest negative of the full time 24/7 Cable News/political channels like MSNBC, CNN and Fox News.

I much rather the systems used in the UK and Canada in which campaigns are only 3-4 months after the Prime Minster calls for national elections.

If we had 3-4 month campaigns here the comedy shows and their writers might not like it so much. Look what Rick Perry's "brain freeze" and Herman's "9-9-9" have done for politics and comedy, LOL ! I do agree with the above posts fully. There's too much money and influence buying yet surprisingly little substance in a longer campaign season. What substance there is is usually overwhelmed by the sheer amount of hot air being generated by the candidates, especially the frontrunners. I happened to re-read a recent Time magazine article and found out that Mitt Romney wants to eliminate Amtrak. Here we are, on a transit forum, with Romney supporters, yet no one commented on his proposal. Obviously his proposal got lost in the rush to judgement on who benefits from Cain's demise yet which story is more important in the long run? A much shorter campaign would go a long way toward eliminating the fluff being showered on the public today. Just my opinion folks. Carry on.

Yeah I'm not even gonna bother to up with all of it. In october I'll check the debates and decide from there. The next year is gonna be a nightmare.

Other than the political junkies, I think most voters will follow your path Urban.:(

The more the GOP candidates keeps mudslinging at each other, the less Obama has to do. All the negativity among the GOP has allowed Obama to get back to even or better than any of the other candidates.

As I said some time ago, I think the most likely winner will be Romney [like him or not]. So long as he goes 'economy, economy...' then he might win. I think he should've been running against Obama in 2008. McCain was old and soft, he let Obama run circles around him. McCain was not the same man he was in 2000.

Concidering all the negatives of Obama: numerous vacations [where's the outrage by the media now?], asking Iran to give back the drone [asking the enemy? You think anyone would be taken seriously for that?], endless raising of the defecit, Eric Holder and the Fast and Furious scandal, Janet Napalitano as Homeland Security sec [invasive x-ray machines]....

How hard can it be to beat Obama?*

*and no, I am not a GOP supporter, Bush definitely f'ed up especially with Iraq [which thank god that is over at last] and started the bailout ball rolling that Obama was all too complacent in stepping that up.

He was doing kinda well in the last election. Huckabee [who 'messed it up] in a way drained him and out of the blue McCain was nominated to be the GOP nominee [when I think he was about 3rd].

Given how: polarizing Newt Gingrich, Backman are; obscured Ron Paul is; unelectable as Perry is; Cain because of his scandals.

I think by default Romney stands out as the best of the group. He's also more middle of the road, so he's probably not going to offend the middle by pandering too much to the extreme right like Newt is. That would probably be enough to counter Obama who by the record is enough to get support from the left/far let.

BYAHH

Because every other candidate sounds the same to me, and every year the same problems get worse. If they try to actually do their job and not just sign stupid bills favoring the people that bribe them, they pay for it dearly...

And that's why the system is broken, it's a 2 party game shell. It comes down to which one says the least worst things and get us sheeple to vote for them. Only a true independent party can free us from the 2-party tyrany.

It's really weird people are saying Romney has a chance. I've never seen this guy get through the primaries. That's really all I'm saying here.

He'd have a chance if the Republicans weren't such morons. They're too concerned with the fact that he's a mormon to think about anything else. :(

He'd have a chance if the Republicans weren't such morons. They're too concerned with the fact that he's a mormon to think about anything else. :(

S0 VG8 do you like the endless nearly 1 1/2 campaign? As late as 20 years ago, then Governor Bill Clinton did not announce his White House bid until October 1991. While Ronald Reagan threw his hat in the ring with his historic and succesful win late in 1979 (also around October)as well.

Like most people I don't. Do you like the systems used in which Canada and Britian in which national elections are only 3-4 months? VG8 or anyone else can join in.

Not to mention in last 2 days before the elections north of the border and across the pond, all commerical tv time to major candadiates is free. That would help in the money issue IMO. reactions?