Can a bus operator,drop passengers off at a non-degsignated stop-late at night?

ac1962

A few years back, bus operators were allowed to drop passengers off at their closest destinations,such as letting people off on non-degsignated corners late at night. Are they still allowed to do that? I remember the mta saying it was ok years back. I remember i was on a late night bx-9 bus,and a passenger asked to be let off on a corner and the driver refused. It was no traffic and the bus operator seemed annoyed.

A few years back, bus operators were allowed to drop passengers off at their closest destinations,such as letting people off on non-degsignated corners late at night. Are they still allowed to do that? I remember the mta saying it was ok years back. I remember i was on a late night bx-9 bus,and a passenger asked to be let off on a corner and the driver refused. It was no traffic and the bus operator seemed annoyed.

It's still allowed, it's that the driver has to see if the place it will stop at be safe enough to make a complete stop

Yes, request-a-stop is still available. But its only between specific hours that I am not too sure of at the moment. I actually saw them putting the posters up in buses for that last week. If i find one, i'll take a picture and post it...

**Edit** its available between 10pm and 5am daily

6542158577_66d706408a.jpg

IMAG0287 by blitz_126, on Flickr

Yes, request-a-stop is still available. But its only between specific hours that I am not too sure of at the moment. I actually saw them putting the posters up in buses for that last week. If i find one, i'll take a picture and post it...

According to that poster, Request-a-stop is not available on Limited buses. I drive the Q44LTD and i often get passengers who want to be let off at local stops or somewhere along the line after 10pm. I honor their requests but apparently I shouldnt. I asked a dispatcher about it today and he didnt seem too sure. It does get annoying since the local Q20 bus runs about the same time as my bus from Main St/39ave to Jamaica and they could just take that

According to that poster, Request-a-stop is not available on Limited buses. I drive the Q44LTD and i often get passengers who want to be let off at local stops or somewhere along the line after 10pm. I honor their requests but apparently I shouldnt. I asked a dispatcher about it today and he didnt seem too sure. It does get annoying since the local Q20 bus runs about the same time as my bus from Main St/39ave to Jamaica and they could just take that

The posters Blitz posted above, I've seen it on the buses at my depot (Flatbush), and before these posters went up, as an LTD after 10 PM, I don't honor these requests because to me, it's common sense -- what's the point of LTD if I can drop people off at their requested stops, in between the specified LTD stops? I've told passengers that's only available on the local buses. I've never had any problems, but just saying I've told passengers this... but it doesn't happen to often. They do need to update the said policy that's printed above the operator though.

This is one of the reason's I got off of nights....a guy wrote a letter once because I would not let him off in the curve in Section 5 of co-op...I was like no sir...can't you see the cars double parked?? and we are on a curve??? The people in co-op drive crazy...I can remember 3 near misses with those idiots.....and they called me in the office about it...I was like this is crazy....so I leave it to you guys to handle......

Well, as long as the Q44 runs local, it shouldn't be a problem providing request-a-stop on that line.

Don't know what the actual rule is, but I'd stop to think it's up to the discretion of the b/o......

In all cases, it's really up to the discretion of the B/O. I've been on plenty of buses where the stop is on the far side of the intersection, but the B/O is at a red light, so he discharges on the nearside of the intersection. It's either done because the B/O wants to save time, or if they see that a passenger has to make a transfer (I've been on a few eastbound S48s where a southbound Richmond Avenue route was crossing the intersection and they let the passengers off to transfer, but then again I've also had B/Os who gave the riders a hard time about it. I haven't been in that situation for a few months, though)

Well, as long as the Q44 runs local, it shouldn't be a problem providing request-a-stop on that line.

Yes bus they are asking while im driving the Limited bus. It gets really annoying when im at Jamaica Center on Archer Ave. The stretch from 153st to 160st is all bus stops for several lines. Sometimes 3 people will ask me to drop them off in front of the route they are transferring to. So now im making several stops at Jamaica Center instead of just one. People at those stops are looking confused to see a Q44 stopping in front of them to let people off.

Does this apply to boarding passengers too? (flag the bus down at a safe spot along the route)

No it doesn't. People can only get on at designated bus stops. Even when im on a limited bus after 10 and there are people at local stops waving to me, I keep going. Its one thing to drop off at local stops if asked to, but I never pick up from there.

No it doesn't. People can only get on at designated bus stops. Even when im on a limited bus after 10 and there are people at local stops waving to me, I keep going. Its one thing to drop off at local stops if asked to, but I never pick up from there.

When I say "this" I mean on the local, not on the LTD.

On any route whether local, limited, or SBS, passengers are not picked up anywhere but designated bus stops. I was using the limited as an example because even though people are waiting at local stops, they are not picked up during these hours once the sign says limited

NO, definitely does not apply for boarding the bus..

And NO to applying to LTD buses also.. The rules is for local buses only.

If you are operating as a LTD, give a courtesy to a passenger and let them off at a non-designated stop, and are involved in an accident, at fault or not, you are up shits'-creek. B/c you shouldn't have been dropping off.

So just keep that in mind.

On express, I believe it is allowed within the specified time frame.

Always make sure you are dropping off in a safe location. Not where ever they want. Not in the middle of the street,etc.. Make sure you can curb your bus, kneel it, then open the doors.. Always better to be extra safe in this situation, than sorry b/c if something happens, they will turn it on you.

Always C-Y-A!

Remind me here, the Q44 runs like the B103 and is always limited right? Cause routes like the M2/M5 after 10 it goes local and makes every stop, but I've never taken the Q44 late nights.

the last limited bus leaves the bronx zoo just after 10pm. Then it becomes a local bus and makes all stops. Since its such a long route, this bus will get to Jamaica after 11pm and will still be Limited. Some people think that since its after 10pm, the bus will be local. But once the sign is LTD, it stays that way for the entire trip

Archived