Workfare recipients replacing transit cleaners?

ac1962

I read in yesterday's daily news that the workfare program is coming back, from what i make of it-the mta is in dire need of cleaners and with cleaners retiring every year and no city test or list. Most likely,they will hire them for permenant jobs! I know this for a fact because my neighbor was on welfare,got into the workfare program and before you knew it,she was a permenant t,a. Cleaner-that was before they cancelled the program a few years back, i recently saw a t.a. Station cleaner training a workfare worker at the d train station 182-183 street in the bronx. Now i believe that a person should have a job,but shouldn't the mta have a fair test and judge on who passes it instead of just handing someone a job,just like that? I don't mean to sound judgemental, but i wish i could get a job,like that and don't take a test! The mta sees cheap labor,instead of paying a t.a. Cleaners salary,it'scheaper to pay welfare benefits. By the way,whatever happened to the last t.a cleaners exam? Did they exhaust the list? What do you think?

Before anyone starts any crap about "they're just handing these welfare workfare folks jobs without a test or anything" - a few facts should be stated.

Being on welfare and assigned the workfare programs means getting about $200 per month in pay. That works out to about $2 an hour depending upon one's work assignment hours - which could range from 12 to 18 to 30 hours in a week. The more hours in the work assignment means less "pay" per hour. Needless to say - there are no "benefits" - no sick days, personal days, or vacation days - no contributions to social security or retirement, or union representation. It is simply just the chance to be exploited while one has to look for work - on all of the other weekdays that one does not have a work assignment. Welfare is not a picnic.

Just telling the truth and keeping it real.

Mike

I don't disagree that being poor isn't an ideal situation for many people.

I personally knew people in the past that rather be on welfare & medicaid than to work for a living. Yes they don't represent everyone but its says something about our imperfect system.

Dan than alone makes it sad and yes i do agree with you...

They could be standing right in front of a train car with garbage from one end to another and all I see them doing is picking up the newspapers, with a newport between their lips.. But those are things you see and just keep walking, and say "hello"

And Its not all of them, its just the ones I've seen at a certain place.

Archived