Exclusively R-160's??

Robert Bosco

I was on the (D) in Bkyln yesterday for the first time in a long time and I saw a lot of R-160 (M) trains....actually, i didnt see any R-42's. Is the (M) line exclusively R-160's???

All I saw on the (M) these last few weeks are R160A cars. I'd have to say that the R160A's dominate the (M) but you might see some R42's here and there. I like the (M) to be a mix of R160A and R42 cars, but the R42 cars have to go.

They only had one set of R 42's on the (M) Line and they keeping it on the CI Side. I say it should be gone in the next 2 Wks. So in that time the R160A's will be moved back onto the (Z) Line again unless the monitors are in place then it will be full time on the (J) as well.

No offense to the R42 lovers (me being one) but the (M) really needed the R160s. I mean You couldn't hear the announcements, it very very loud through Bushwick and at one point the stations look better then the R42s. I mean it good that the R42 are going on the (A). The (G) could use some R42s too since it suffering for a fleet shortage. But honestly. I accept change in the easter BMT.

I like to compare subway lines and their corresponding fleet to the cycle of lifee. First you are born young (R160s and co.) and then you get older (R42s and company). As much as I hate to have to admit it to you, I can honestly see how The R42s are going to be a thing of the past soon.

The only real kicker of the thing is that the (A), one of the celebrity lines of New York City culture, is allowed to be pimped out by this outdated fleet. I do think they are a welcome change to the (A) and (C) lines, however, just it did not have to come down to this did it?

Why did the Transit Authority have to pimp out the Eighth Avenue Line the way it did?

Yeah, sometimes I think the Eighth Avenue should get some new cars for a change. I mean they have had the oldest cars for years. First with the R10s, then the R32s, R38s, and now the R42s. Admittedly the 32s and 38s have run there reliably for a good long while, but the R10s and 42s were/are in their last years when moved over to the Eighth Avenue.

You sure the (M) is entirely R160? Last I heard there were some 143s over there too.

Yeah, sometimes I think the Eighth Avenue should get some new cars for a change. I mean they have had the oldest cars for years. First with the R10s, then the R32s, R38s, and now the R42s. Admittedly the 32s and 38s have run there reliably for a good long while, but the R10s and 42s were/are in their last years when moved over to the Eighth Avenue.

You sure the (M) is entirely R160? Last I heard there were some 143s over there too.

Yea, i've noticed that too. When i was at 72nd st (:P© the (C) was pretty much all R32 for the half hour i was there both uptown & downtown. The (B) was R40/M and such. OLD!

- Andy

There aren't any 143s on the (M). There use to be on the weekend shuttle. But they got replaced with 160s.

The (M) still had 2 sets of R42s as of last week (seen on June 13th). I rode one of them from Union St through the Montague St tunnels and via the Williamsburg Bridge to Marcy Ave and took some pics there. The next Metropolitan Ave-bound (M) also was an R42 consist.

Its weird but the R160s are definately a welcome and nice change to the (M). I remember last month we couldn't find the R42 (M)s so it was that rare about a month ago if you don't play your cards right.

I was telling someone today, that its going to be weird when the R160s hit the (J) and (Z), and we were at Chambers at the moment, looking at the station and watching the trains and then its going to be all R160s.

Archived