What's the longest mta train route in nyc?

ac1962

Its the (A) followed by the (2)!

Yup, but the (D) and (F) are also among the longest [by length] as well. (2) is very long because of all the stops it makes and it's worse if it's a New Lots bound/starting (2).

So not sure if the OP wants to know about the length end to end or if by stations, but by length, just look at the map and see. (A) is easily the longest by length.

=

As for the <A>, not going to make much of a difference if the signs aren't changed to display the correct train. It'd be just like the (7)<7>.

Guest lance25

Line lengths for every line.

IND/BMT (B Division)

(A) Eighth Avenue Express: 32.34 Miles from 207th Street, Manahttan to Far Rockaway–Mott Avenue

(A) Eighth Avenue Express: 23.70 Miles from 207th Street, Manahttan to Lefferts Blvd, Queens

(A) Eighth Avenue Express: 31.98 Miles from 207th Street, Manhattan to Rockaway Park, Queens

B - Sixth Avenue Express: 24.24 Miles from Bedford Park Blvd to Brighton Beach

(;) Sixth Avenue Express: 19.13 Miles from 145th Street, Manhattan to Brighton Beach

(C) Eighth Avenue Local: 18.76 Miles from 168th Street, Manhattan to Euclid Avenue, Brooklyn

(D) Sixth Avenue Express: 25.88 Miles from 205th Street, Bronx to Stillwell Avenue-Coney Island

(E) Eighth Avenue Local: 15.76 Miles from Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer to World Trade Center

(F) Sixth Avenue Local: 27.40 Miles from 179th Street, Jamaica to Stillwell Avenue-Coney Island

(G) Crosstown Local: About 10 Miles from Court Square, Queens to Church Avenue, Brooklyn

(J) Nassau Street Express: 13.51 Miles from Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer to Broad Street, Manhattan

J - Nassau Street Express: 12 Miles from Jamaica Center-Parsons/Archer to Chambers Street, Manhattan

(L) 14th Street Local: 10.24 Miles from 8th Avenue, Manhattan to Rockaway Parkway, Brooklyn

M - Myrtle Ave Shuttle: 2.92 Miles from Metropolitan Avenue, Queens to Myrtle Avenue, Brooklyn

(M) 6th Avenue Local: About 18.26 miles from Metropoliitan Avenue, Queens to 71st-Continental Avenue-Forest Hills

(N) Broadway Local: 20.38 Miles from Ditmars Blvd-Astoria to Stillwell Avenue-Coney Island (Via Manhattan Bridge)

(N) Broadway Local: 21.20 Miles from Ditmars Blvd-Astoria to Stillwell Avenue-Coney Island (Via Lower Manhattan)

Q - Broadway Express: 15.24 Miles from 57th Street/7th Avenue, Manhattan to Stillwell Avenue-Coney Island

(Q) Broadway Express: About 20.15 miles from Ditmars Blvd-Astoria to Stillwell Avenue-Coney Island

(R) Broadway Local: 21.84 Miles from Continental Avenue-Forest Hills to 95th Street/4th Avenue, Brooklyn

Z - Nassau Street Express: (See J)

Franklin Avenue Shuttle: 1.42 Miles from Franklin Avenue/Fulton Street to Prospect Park, Brooklyn

Rockaway Park Shuttle: 2.95 Miles from Broad Channel, Queens to Rockaway Park, Queens

IRT (A Division)

(1) Broadway–Seventh Avenue Local: 14.70 Miles from 242nd Street-Van Cortlandt Pk, Bronx to South Ferry, Manhattan

(2) Seventh Avenue Express: 25.70 Miles from 241st Street-Wakefield, Bronx to Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn

(3) Seventh Avenue Express: 18.34 Miles from 148th Street/Lenox Terminal to New Lots Avenue, Brooklyn, and 6.30 Miles as a late night shuttle from 148th Street/Lenox Terminal to 42nd Street/Times Square

(4) Lexington Avenue Express: 20.14 Miles from Woodlawn/Jerome Ave, Bronx to Utica Avenue/Crown Heights, Brooklyn

(5) Lexington Avenue Express: 17.15 Miles from Dyre Avenue, Eastchester, Bronx to Bowling Green, Manhattan

(5) Lexington Avenue Express: 24.38 Miles from Nereid Avenue, Bronx to Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn,

5 - Lexington Avenue Express: 24.18 Miles from Dyre Avenue, Eastchester, Bronx to Flatbush Avenue, Brooklyn

(6)<6> Lexington Avenue Local: 15.02 Miles from Pelham Bay Park, Bronx to Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan

(6)<6> Lexington Avenue Local: 12.76 Miles from Parkchester, Bronx to Brooklyn Bridge, Manhattan

(7)<7> Flushing Local/Express: 9.54 Miles from Main Street/Flushing, Queens to Times Square, Manhattan

42nd Street Shuttle (S): 0.60 Miles from Times Square, Manhattan to Grand Central, Manhattan

Line lengths for every line.

So wait... Like the first person to answer the question, I always thought the (2) was the second longest line. But I guess that's mistaken, the (D) and (F) are both longer.

It's also worth pointing out that the (A) is only the longest line if it's an A going to the Rockaways. The D, F, 2, Bedford Park B's, and Flatbush Avenue 5's are all longer than Lefferts Boulevard A's.

• 4 weeks later...
So wait... Like the first person to answer the question, I always thought the (2) was the second longest line. But I guess that's mistaken, the (D) and (F) are both longer.

It's also worth pointing out that the (A) is only the longest line if it's an A going to the Rockaways. The D, F, 2, Bedford Park B's, and Flatbush Avenue 5's are all longer than Lefferts Boulevard A's.

after the A's to Rockaway, the 2 IS the longest route. the quote is arranged to group together a division routes and b division routes.

edit: oops my bad. so.....many.....numbers......... wow. My foot tastes good. LOL.

edit: oops my bad. so.....many.....numbers......... wow. My foot tastes good. LOL.

No worries, happens to me all the time. Foot is definitely an acquired taste.

My guess is that the (2) (when it runs local) has the most stops, so sometimes either that gets confused with being the longest, or the question is asked differently/not clearly. There are at least three different ways to define "longest" -- longest by distance, longest by number of stops, and longest by time -- but I think when most people say longest, they mean by distance.

Here's a list the longest trips on each line by time, and approximately when the line is the slowest (the G is around 32-35 minutes no matter what, the J is between 51-53 minutes except when the Z is running):

1 - 1:03 (AM rush)

2 - 1:43 (AM rush)

3 - 1:14 (AM rush)

4 - 1:24 (late night)

5 - 1:25 (late AM after express service stops)

6 - 1:03 (midday)

7 - 0:38 (AM rush)

A - 1:53 (late night)

B - 1:22 (AM rush)

C - 1:09 (AM rush)

D - 1:34 (AM rush)

E - 0:52 (late night)

F - 1:32 (late night)

G - 0:35

J - 0:53

L - 0:42 (late night)

N - 1:24 (late night)

Q - 1:16 (midday)

R - 1:30 (AM rush)

(It says specifically AM rush because I was looking at the weekday southbound schedules to do this. I doubt going the other direction would change anything significantly.)

So the longest routes by time are (A)(2)(D)(F)(R).

Archived