Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
Nova RTS 9147

Holiday Weekend Slows M60 Bus To LaGuardia-NY1

There was no holiday cheer on the M60 on the Friday before Christmas.

The bus took a full hour just getting from Broadway and 110th Street to First Avenue and 125th. It made local stops most of the way.

The bus was piled high with luggage and over the legal limit of riders, with some onboard yelling at the driver to keep going and skip stops.

He stopped anyway, but it didn’t make any difference. There was no room for anyone else to get on.

“It's ridiculous,” said one passenger.

So the M60 left passengers behind and rolled on over the Triborough Bridge for a few more local stops in Queens before getting to LaGuardia Airport. It took an hour and a half for a trip the MTA's own website said should take 40 minutes.

Those lucky enough to get on were anxiously trying to catch flights. Others were hoping to get to their jobs on time.

“It's taking way too long,” said one bus rider.

Karla Ferreria has taken the M60 from Manhattan to her job at LaGuardia Airport for three years. She said she can't afford the $10 for the privately-run airport express.

“Every time I wake up I think I have to go through this all over again,” said Ferreria. “I get so mad.”

On the seventh gridlock alert day of the season, there was definitely traffic, but drivers like Rafael Aquino said the craziness is typical and that he's frequently spat on.

“They're screaming all the time. You can't pay attention to that,” said Aquino.

Flight attendants complain other international cities have better service. They ask why the MTA doesn't create an express bus from Manhattan to LaGuardia.

“It's very stressful,” said one passenger.

MTA officials say they are working with the city's Department of Transportation and Port Authority to identify ways to get riders to LaGuardia faster. They hope to have recommendations within six months. (See Article)

Is this an overblown phenomena or does the article point out a significant flaw in the M60, as well as the traffic flow on 125th Street?

I think it does point out a significant flaw on the ENTIRE NYC TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM!!! Finally there is an article I can comment on! I really do think NYC needs, and yes I said it, NEEDS!!! at least One Express Bus to LGA. The M60 is overburdened, even with articulated busses! Every NYC Airport service busses operated by the (MTA) seems to carry airport go-ers and commuters (or locals) simultaneously, this is not going to work! NYC needs a (MTA) Express Bus to LGA no matter what.

I don't think the (MTA) will ever create a direct 1-seat Midtown-JFK route. Because of the media attention of NY1 the agency is so media worrisome may use this story for creating a M60X running non stop between 125th/2nd and LGA. Hell last year on Xmas weekend(2010)I left on X-mas eve at around 125th/Park on LGA Bound bus at 9am. Yet it was SRO the whole time.

I don't think the (MTA) will ever create a direct 1-seat Midtown-JFK route. Because of the media attention of NY1 the agency is so media worrisome may use this story for creating a M60X running non stop between 125th/2nd and LGA. Hell last year on Xmas weekend(2010)I left on X-mas eve at around 125th/Park on LGA Bound bus at 9am. Yet it was SRO the whole time.

It should use the Grand Central Parkway after the Astoria Line stop.

Again this NY1 story shows the need more than ever for a 2nd RFK/Triboro-LGA route preferable going to the Southern Bronx area.

Where are the riders coming from though? Which subway lines are they transferring from the most? Has the MTA done studies on the M60's passengers?

The M60 doesn't stop at 1st Av & 125th St. It goes right onto the Triborough Bridge after 2nd Ave. I'm guessing that's what the writer of the article meant.

Anyway, I don't find this too surprising at all. All four of the 125th St routes are as slow as tar. Although I've been lucky enough to never have an hour-long ride, the most I've ever had was ~40 minutes on the M101 from City College to the (4)(5)(6)

That Bx50 must look pretty good right about now.

Every bus line was on a slowdown yesterday, and it'll be even worse today. I was working the B46 yesterday, and between an extremely late relief, and floods of traffic - on one of my trips - I got to the Williamsburg bridge at the time I was supposed to be leaving Kings Plaza.

If they're going to do an article, then do it without the holiday cheers traffic and so forth. That'll get something going.

Obviously, not only 125th is a problem, people that live above 96th St, those surrounding the M60 and the Bronx would also use the M60 to get to/from LGA and Manhattan to connecting services.

125th Street is always and will always be tied up due to cars all over the corridor, (Likely because there is no crosstown freeway, with the exception of the Trans-Manhattan, but thats at 178th & 179th St.). And of course shoppers of the 125th St. area.

Im WONDERING when DOT will finally add Bus Lanes to 125th Street to improve bus service.

I Have been on the M60 many times and ride it from Amsterdam into Queens, and a few times it took 45min (which should be less) for its ride. Same for all the other crosstown buses. Even walked across 125th Street with all the traffic, i could even beat a bus from Amsterdam to the East side.

Hopefully a good plan will come in place for all other boroughs to get its share for access to LGA, which IS a MUST!

I think it does point out a significant flaw on the ENTIRE NYC TRANSPORTATION SYSTEM!!! Finally there is an article I can comment on! I really do think NYC needs, and yes I said it, NEEDS!!! at least One Express Bus to LGA. The M60 is overburdened, even with articulated busses! Every NYC Airport service busses operated by the (MTA) seems to carry airport go-ers and commuters (or locals) simultaneously, this is not going to work! NYC needs a (MTA) Express Bus to LGA no matter what.

An Express bus won't do anything, it ill probably even anger people who ride off 125th Street because they can't get an Express to LGA, while those in the West Side can. Plus the Express route would still be forced to go thru traffic, UNLESS it takes a different way. Maybe 110th Street all the way to 7th Avenue, then via 116th Street to 3rd Avenue. But event that has traffic during rush hours.

Hopefully an M60 +Select would also come in the table for a faster ride to LGA.

An M60X would work, MNR->(4)(5)(6)->(N)(Q)->LGA only.

And to avoid the traffic, how about using the Harlem River Dr to/from Park/Madison instead of 125 St?

Harlem River Drive is tied with traffic all the time during the rush hour, especially PM Northbound. Unless the operator doesn't mind using it for a bit.

It could also use the Madison Ave Bridge > I87 South to I278 West.

Agreed...there needs to be an "X60" implemented. If it were up to me I would run D60's on this route instead of LFSA's. There would only be 3 stops before the airport (2 in Manhattan 1 in queens), it would run every 20 minutes, charge $5.50, have suburban seating, and have only one door in the front.

The M60 doesn't stop at 1st Av & 125th St. It goes right onto the Triborough Bridge after 2nd Ave. I'm guessing that's what the writer of the article meant.

Anyway, I don't find this too surprising at all. All four of the 125th St routes are as slow as tar. Although I've been lucky enough to never have an hour-long ride, the most I've ever had was ~40 minutes on the M101 from City College to the (4)(5)(6)

That Bx50 must look pretty good right about now.

funny as hell yet you ppl shot down my BX55 idea now look how good it sounds now HAHAHAHA. BX50 BRING IT ON!!!!!!!!!!! bye bye bx55 hello BX50!!!!!!!!!!:cool:

Don't get too hasty there. While I'm sure people in the Bronx would love a Bx50-esque route, I can't really see the (MTA) implementing it anytime soon.

The (MTA) said straight-up undoing last year's service cuts won't be happening anytime soon, so a brand-new route is even less likely.

Don't get too hasty there. While I'm sure people in the Bronx would love a Bx50-esque route, I can't really see the (MTA) implementing it anytime soon.

The (MTA) said straight-up undoing last year's service cuts won't be happening anytime soon, so a brand-new route is even less likely.

Well extending BX55 to LGA would allow ridership to increase enough to undo the elimination of weekend service. LOOK HOW GOOD MY IDEA SOUNDS NOW!!!!!!!! technically it was originally the idea of someone at subchat I believe. But I think it should go express non stop to LGA. The subchat guy suggested it make a stop at astoria though.

- You only hear these types of complaints during the worst case scenarios..... like, during holiday travel.

- Extending Bx55's doesn't have a goddamn thing to do w/ this....

- There is no real flaw in the M60... Its problems lie within traveling on 125th itself...

You can have all the M60x's or w/e in the world - if they're panning along 125th, the problem of those physical buses having to endure (and gettin stuck in) that traffic won't get any better.... Band-aids don't get rid of cuts, they just don't exacerbate them.....

I forget who it was, but someone suggested moving M60's on 116th st & 110th st on the west side.... not sure if that's a viable remedy though....

- You only hear these types of complaints during the worst case scenarios..... like, during holiday travel.

- There is no real flaw in the M60... Its problems lie within traveling on 125th itself...

You can have all the M60x's or w/e in the world - if they're panning along 125th, the problem of those physical buses having to endure (and gettin stuck in) that traffic won't get any better.... Band-aids don't get rid of cuts, they just don't exacerbate them.....

I forget who it was, but someone suggested moving M60's on 116th st & 110th st on the west side.... not sure if that's a viable remedy though....

Thanks! That would be me, as suggested to Kingstones response.

But yeah, that would do great. When I pass that section of 116th / 110th Street, traffic isn't bad compared to 125th Street.

A route like this would be nice:

-106th Street Terminal, North on Broadway

-Right on 110th Street all the way to ether 8th/7th/6th(Lenox) ave

-North on ether one

-Right on 116th Street to 3rd Avenue

-North on 3rd Avenue to 124th Street

-Enter the Triborough Bridge and head str8 to Queens Express or Local.

Southbound just use 2nd Avenue to 116th Street > Then to 6th/7th/8th Ave and then to 110th Street and go to Broadway then 106th St.

That should be good!

true you are right in that regard.

Thanks! That would be me, as suggested to Kingstones response.

But yeah, that would do great. When I pass that section of 116th / 110th Street, traffic isn't bad compared to 125th Street.

A route like this would be nice:

-106th Street Terminal, North on Broadway

-Right on 110th Street all the way to ether 8th/7th/6th(Lenox) ave

-North on ether one

-Right on 116th Street to 3rd Avenue

-North on 3rd Avenue to 124th Street

-Enter the Triborough Bridge and head str8 to Queens Express or Local.

Southbound just use 2nd Avenue to 116th Street > Then to 6th/7th/8th Ave and then to 110th Street and go to Broadway then 106th St.

That should be good!

good idea on paper BUT it would anger connecting passengers from MNRR and the (4)(5) subway lines. 125th just needs bus lanes. OR if all else fails convert all the bus routes to stradling buses like in china.

good idea on paper BUT it would anger connecting passengers from MNRR and the (4)(5) subway lines. 125th just needs bus lanes. OR if all else fails convert all the bus routes to stradling buses like in china.

Then the ma and pa owned business, the growing national/international box stores chains taking over Harlem will likely sue the city and (MTA) if 125th had stradling buses for taking customers. This is not China.

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb idea. What about running buses on 126th(westbound) and 124th(eastbound)in the area between 2nd and Lenox? Ideally shifting the (M60) to 116th is not a bad idea. However Lex subway and MNRR riders will scream at losing a direct connection to/from LGA.

QJ and his einstein ideas again lol.:eek:

Then the ma and pa owned business, the growing national/international box stores chains taking over Harlem will likely sue the city and (MTA) if 125th had stradling buses for taking customers. This is not China.

Sorry if this sounds like a dumb idea. What about running buses on 126th(westbound) and 124th(eastbound)in the area between 2nd and Lenox? Ideally shifting the (M60) to 116th is not a bad idea. However Lex subway and MNRR riders will scream at losing a direct connection to/from LGA.

QJ and his einstein ideas again lol.:eek:

true but they wouldn't just scream they will RIOT!!!!!!!!!! but 126th and 124th sounds like a good idea to an extent.

I meant to put that there would be two M60s. One via 125th and the other combines with 116th/110th.

I meant to put that there would be two M60s. One via 125th and the other combines with 116th/110th.

That one sounds better, Since 125th is the Express stop for the IND, LEX and MNRR. It would make it even more inconvenient to have to use the C or B train to get to the M60

That one sounds better, Since 125th is the Express stop for the IND, LEX and MNRR. It would make it even more inconvenient to have to use the C or B train to get to the M60

Local can still use 125th, the other would be like Limited stop M60 rerouted.

Local can still use 125th, the other would be like Limited stop M60 rerouted.
Nice effort BUT it would NOT carry well due to losing too many connections. You are forgetting the bulk of M60 ridership is from connecting subway lines and north south buses and MNRR. However if it used park ave to return to 125th en rte to LGA then maybe the 116th to 110th routing may work. 125th is so slow you can literally catch up to an M60 on foot from(A)(D) and (2)(3) lines. But you can not bypass MNRR 125th it's too major a stop. Don't forget the M98 as well.

Nice effort BUT it would NOT carry well due to losing too many connections. You are forgetting the bulk of M60 ridership is from connecting subway lines and north south buses and MNRR. However if it used park ave to return to 125th en rte to LGA then maybe the 116th to 110th routing may work. 125th is so slow you can literally catch up to an M60 on foot from(A)(D) and (2)(3) lines. But you can not bypass MNRR 125th it's too major a stop. Don't forget the M98 as well.

There would be an M60 Local (with bus lanes on 125th) if they want service to LGA.

Or you can have the M60 LTD run on Park Avenue after 116th Street, North/South on Park and then turn on 125th Street to cross the Bridge.

M60 would still have a connection to the (;)(C), (1)(2)(3) and (4)(5)(6) as well as the M98 and the other routes.

Those who wanna use the (A)(D) would use the regular M60 at 125th Street.

(BTW folks this is just a thought, NOT the real deal)