Should they make a bx-15 limited bus?

ac1962

Bx55 wasn't originally supposed to be cut, MTA just added that cut on there when they made changes to the doomsday plan.

Bx55 used to run 24/7 to Williamsbridge until 1995, then it was cut back to Fordham Plaza overnight. 161 St branch service was later eliminated, then the Bx15 replaced the late night Bx55 around 1996-1997.

Bx55 weekend service was cut in 2003 when the Bx41 began to run 24/7

The next step would be to eliminate all service when no Bx55 buses run to Williamsbridge, making the route 6am-7pm

So when was the Bx55 cut for last year first suggested?

I've said it before, and I'll do so again, I wouldn't be surprised if the MTA cuts the Bx15 to either 125th St/Park Avenue or Mott Haven. Even though it would force riders heading to Central Harlem to take the (2), it would improve reliability and efficiency for the Bx15.

The (MTA) can't really expect the other three routes to pick up slack from the Bx15 can't they? And supposing they really did something crazy like this, they should at least re-route the M60 to stay on Broadway until 125th St...

@B35viaChurch Ever since the Bx55 suffered a headaway increase back in September, there are actually a few times during the day (generally during middays and part of the PM Rush) where the 55 has the same headaways as the 15, so people taking the Bx15 more isn't surprising at all. Of course, the schedule doesn't hold up. There are times I see the Bx15 coming more regularly than the Bx55, even though the 55 is always supposed to run at least as often as the 15.

So when was the Bx55 cut for last year first suggested?

The (MTA) can't really expect the other three routes to pick up slack from the Bx15 can't they? And supposing they really did something crazy like this, they should at least re-route the M60 to stay on Broadway until 125th St...

@B35viaChurch Ever since the Bx55 suffered a headaway increase back in September, there are actually a few times during the day (generally during middays and part of the PM Rush) where the 55 has the same headaways as the 15, so people taking the Bx15 more isn't surprising at all. Of course, the schedule doesn't hold up. There are times I see the Bx15 coming more regularly than the Bx55, even though the 55 is always supposed to run at least as often as the 15.

The cut was first suggested back in March 2010 when some cuts (such as the axing of the Bx18) were eliminated due to public opinion.

As for 125th St, I agree with the M60 running on Broadway until 125th St.

For 3rd Avenue, I see a pattern for N/B buses during the midday hours. There would be a 7-12 minute gap. A crowded bx15 shows up. It is followed by an empty, slow-moving Bx55 that would not pass the Bx15 until about 183rd Street.

The cut was first suggested back in March 2010 when some cuts (such as the axing of the Bx18) were eliminated due to public opinion.

As for 125th St, I agree with the M60 running on Broadway until 125th St.

For 3rd Avenue, I see a pattern for N/B buses during the midday hours. There would be a 7-12 minute gap. A crowded bx15 shows up. It is followed by an empty, slow-moving Bx55 that would not pass the Bx15 until about 183rd Street.

No, the cuts were originally proposed in December 2008, and then the ones proposed in December 2009 were similar to those in 2008, with some changes (for instance, the express buses got hit harder in 2009, and the Bx18 was supposed to be eliminated on weekends in 2008, but in 2009 they wanted to eliminate it completely).

Then later in March 2010, they gave back some of the reductions (the Bx18 wasn't being touched, the Bx8 was routed to PBP, the Bx33 wasn't being touched, the S66 replaced the S60 on weekdays instead of leaving Grymes Hill with no service at all, the Q15A replaced the Q14, and the B4 was sent to Sheepshead Bay rush hours instead of not at all).

I think your observations are pretty spot-on - especially about the Bx55.

I don't know if it's an oversight or intentional, but there's some Bx55 trips actually scheduled to take longer then the Bx15 from Fordham to the Hub.

Bx15Bx55Comparison-1.png

EDIT: Turns out it's because what the Timetables call 'The Hub - 3 Av/149 St' is actually two different stops on the Bx15 and Bx55.

Bx15Bx55Comparison2.png

But even when you take that into account... the Bx15 still beats the Bx55 to 3rd Av and 150th St (which is where you get kicked off the Bx55, even though the last stop is listed as Willis Av and 148th St) so that's... er... better?

Looking into this stuff too much is bad for my health -___-

Yes it should but what should they do with the bx55 that is limited get it out the way. It have to be like the m15 when it was local and limited. It a good idea. I also think that the m10 should go back to battery pk city or to south ferry from 159st 8ave

Get rid of the Bx55, and there's less service to Williamsbridge plus people going from Williamsbridge to 3rd Av have to transfer unnecessarily (although I suppose it's happening already on weekends and evenings/late nights)

At the very least, a Bx15 LTD might give the (MTA) a chance to cut a Bx55 stop or two and add some LTD service.

Yes it should but what should they do with the bx55 that is limited get it out the way. It have to be like the m15 when it was local and limited. It a good idea. I also think that the m10 should go back to battery pk city or to south ferry from 159st 8ave

The reason the M10 was split in the first place was because of reliability issues.

Get rid of the Bx55, and there's less service to Williamsbridge plus people going from Williamsbridge to 3rd Av have to transfer unnecessarily (although I suppose it's happening already on weekends and evenings/late nights)

At the very least, a Bx15 LTD might give the (MTA) a chance to cut a Bx55 stop or two and add some LTD service.

For the transferring part, they could always walk to Webster Avenue directly for the Bx41. I don't think the hills start until west of Webster Avenue.

Don't forget 125th St is traffic jam streets with RFK Bridge and FDR Drive entrance.

I heard from Rider Rebellion that city plan to test bus lane on 125th St but I think business and parking NIMBYs might oppose.

it really needs it. It seem like a no brainier to me. There desperately needs to be a reasonably fast way to get across town uptown. Im sure there would be some opposition but every SBS route thus far have opposition they managed to do that anyway.

Not the Q5. The idea of SBS on the Q5 was quietly swept under the rug a few years back. The S79 is in limbo as far as I'm concerned, one minute the (MTA) actively wants SBS on the route and the next minute they're just doing a "Hylan Blvd Corridor Alternatives Study" or something like that.

And seeing the (MTA) preparing to screw up the B44 a bit and giving themselves the power to screw up neighboring bus lines down the road, I'm not so sure I want a B44 SBS. I'm biased because the B44 is my home bus route and now I can see the not-so-great impacts SBS might have... but still.

Still, one could argue that Bx55 or Bx15 SBS would be a wonderful idea, since SBS is being hyped up as an above-ground subway (in the M15's case anyway) and the Bx55 is the replacement for a dead subway line... but things aren't as great in reality as they seem :c

You're probably thinking about combining the M10 and M20 all together by having the M10LCL/M20LTD service between Harlem and South Ferry. Whatever

it is that you thought of, just listen to me saying this to you. "IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN THAT WAY!":mad:

You're probably thinking about combining the M10 and M20 all together by having the M10LCL/M20LTD service between Harlem and South Ferry. Whatever

it is that you thought of, just listen to me saying this to you. "IT'S NOT GONNA HAPPEN THAT WAY!":mad:

Why do you need to get mad for...?

Regardless of not happening, I've always liked that idea.

Combine the M10/M20 and restore the pre-1999 M10 route from 159th Street to Battery Park with an extension to the Ferry. Now cut the M5 from South Ferry and have it at its old Houston Street Terminal. Allow the M10 to replace the M5.

The M10 maybe long, but not as long as the current M5. About the same length.

I have a friend at WF and he said they are talking about something like the Bx36 have a ltd service Bx15 rush hours only they are thinking about it but no real planes now, also the 55 may keep ltd and how it is now but they are also thinking about taking the sbs to the 41 and or 55 no idea what one will get it, my best bet would be the 41 bc its a full time line and the 55 isn't

I have a friend at WF and he said they are talking about something like the Bx36 have a ltd service Bx15 rush hours only they are thinking about it but no real planes now, also the 55 may keep ltd and how it is now but they are also thinking about taking the sbs to the 41 and or 55 no idea what one will get it, my best bet would be the 41 bc its a full time line and the 55 isn't

Rumors are rumors until theres proof.

I dont see a point of having the Bx15 having an LTD if there is a BX55 LTD. Plus with all the traffic on 125th Street, idk how this will work.

What would be nice is maybe extending the BX55 down to somewhere along 125th St or Manhattanville. Short turn Bx55 that goes to the Plaza would head to Manhattan, and the Bx55 to the Williambridge would stick to how it is or go to Manhattan too.

Its 2012, its a new year.. Lets kill ALL RUMORS, speculations. Point, BLANK, and PERIOD. IF the information doesn't come from Bus planning or other top management sources than it ain't going down.

I feel for ALL OF US, my self included that when we get info and present on the board, just simply fact check the information b/c in the end of the day, only yourself will look bad.

Not to say that operators don't give valid info, and some of the ops on this board do give VALID info when it comes from the top AND its available for release to the public.

Just my 2 cents. and Happy new year to ALL, and may 2012 provide much prosperity, strength, success throughout the year! :tup:

Why do you need to get mad for...?

Regardless of not happening, I've always liked that idea.

Combine the M10/M20 and restore the pre-1999 M10 route from 159th Street to Battery Park with an extension to the Ferry. Now cut the M5 from South Ferry and have it at its old Houston Street Terminal. Allow the M10 to replace the M5.

The M10 maybe long, but not as long as the current M5. About the same length.

yeah merge M10 with M20 that will happen when pigs fly. HAVE U SEEN THE M20???? one it has embarrassingly low weekend use off peak hours almost everyone is on the subway very few ppl use it and the corridor is infested with cab traffic Let's not try and screw the M10. Very bad idea. like extending B62 over the bridge = very bad idea

Rumors are rumors until theres proof.

I dont see a point of having the Bx15 having an LTD if there is a BX55 LTD. Plus with all the traffic on 125th Street, idk how this will work.

What would be nice is maybe extending the BX55 down to somewhere along 125th St or Manhattanville. Short turn Bx55 that goes to the Plaza would head to Manhattan, and the Bx55 to the Williambridge would stick to how it is or go to Manhattan too.

they are looking to get rid of the 55 bus all together, from what I hear, they need been trying to do that for over 15 years now I live alone the 3rd ave area and I think being that the 15 goes from Fordham manhatten 12ave it can use a ltd bus maybe only rush the 55 going to 125 is nuts. There is already to many buses there now

Archived