Fare beaters taking over bx-12 sbs

ac1962

What's going on with the bx-12 sbs? Everytime you see people that don't have a receipt and just board,especially at fordham plaza going both ways, i know they don't have receipts because they run out of nowhere and get on the bus without going to the kiosk! A few months ago the mta were hiring for a group of people that would issue a summons, i believe they were to have arresting powers also. It goes on at the height of rush hour, you also see people that get off of metro-north and just get on without receipts,if the mta is having a money shortfall then start arresting these people!

What's going on with the bx-12 sbs? Everytime you see people that don't have a receipt and just board,especially at fordham plaza going both ways, i know they don't have receipts because they run out of nowhere and get on the bus without going to the kiosk! A few months ago the mta were hiring for a group of people that would issue a summons, i believe they were to have arresting powers also. It goes on at the height of rush hour, you also see people that get off of metro-north and just get on without receipts,if the mta is having a money shortfall then start arresting these people!

The fare enforcement guys are probably busy with the M34 SBS being that it is still new because I haven't been seeing them on the M15 either. But from the way that it was explained to me, the people that they do catch and issue summons to pay for the people that slip through the net. (A $100 summons paid pays for about 45 farebeaters)

They are still around. I saw a set of 4 guys checking on the Bx12 +SBS+ about a month ago while traveling to Williamsbridge. It's really a catch 22 when you see these guys. I will NOT display locations to where they can be, but just know that they can be ANYWHERE along the middle of the route, or close to the end of the Bx12 route.

The fare enforcement guys are probably busy with the M34 SBS being that it is still new because I haven't been seeing them on the M15 either. But from the way that it was explained to me, the people that they do catch and issue summons to pay for the people that slip through the net. (A $100 summons paid pays for about 45 farebeaters)

They clearly need more of them because way too many of them are beating the system. It may pay for 45 of them but the (MTA) still loses millions a year from farebeating. Not exactly chump change in my opinion. That money could be used to improve service.

Maybe the fare "enforcers" are afraid of their personal safety too?

I'm sure some of the riders are packing guns/knives and since life is so cheap today they'd use it in a NY minute.

That's insane. They should use transit cops for that. Let them be armed.

If there are so many at Fordham Plaza, isn't there a chance they're using UniTickets? I don't think a UniTicket can be put into the kiosk to get a ticket. They probably have to flash the pass at the inspector and they let them on.

why not

Because if he lets the information out, everybody will know where the fare inspectors are and they'll know that if their trip doesn't pass through a checkpoint they'll get a free ride. (Though to be honest, I can't see that happening on any large scale, and don't they move those people around so that nobody could figure out which stops they'll be at next?)

why not

Not to sound like a devil :mad: at all, but that right there was totally unnecessary right there to ask.

Being street smart is KEY, and also being observant is KEY! especially in The Bronx Upper Manhattan, and in Midtown. I'm not the one to snitch where the boys usually operate and I won't. Just have your ticket and everything will be just fine! :tup:

If there are so many at Fordham Plaza, isn't there a chance they're using UniTickets? I don't think a UniTicket can be put into the kiosk to get a ticket. They probably have to slash the pass at the inspector and they let them on.

Because if he lets the information out, everybody will know where the fare inspectors are and they'll know that if their trip doesn't pass through a checkpoint they'll get a free ride. (Though to be honest, I can't see that happening on any large scale, and don't they move those people around so that nobody could figure out which stops they'll be at next?)

Thank u checkmate for agreeing with me! They move around alot especially in The Bronx and upper Manhattan (M15). Right now rarely on the M34 just only that they just started, and you don't know where they are going to pop up.

They clearly need more of them because way too many of them are beating the system. It may pay for 45 of them but the (MTA) still loses millions a year from farebeating. Not exactly chump change in my opinion. That money could be used to improve service.

That's insane. They should use transit cops for that. Let them be armed.

We don't want to see shoot-outs on the bus between the fare beaters and enforcers do we?

We don't want to see shoot-outs on the bus between the fare beaters and enforcers do we?

Who does? However, the fare enforcers should be able to protect themselves and the (MTA) needs to get tougher on enforcing the fare for the good of those who do pay. This farebeating will only lead to more fare increases for those of us who do pay and at some point we're going to reach the breaking point one way or another.

Agreed, it's amazing the stories these people come up with on the bus...sometimes I don't even answer them I'll let them make a decision I really wish that as a B/O every line was operated like SBS with off board fare collection. Let's see what the Concourse brings me this up and coming pick...

Last time i saw inspectors was at Sedgwick Ave, which was 2008 and 2010 in 207 Terminal. These people be in random places, NOT just a single spot. But even if you don't see them along the way, it is still important to pay. Don't risk going for free, like some folks do.

Been on the Bx12 / Bx15 from end to end, none. Haven't seen any since then, nor checked, but I still pay.

I never even seen them on the M15.

The MTA is saying they have handed out a lot of summons, but I'm sure not enough. Many of times I ride the Bx12+SBS and I see some folks just hoping on without going to the vending. Especially students.

I think they need to have an inspector ride the bus and check randomly. Or some other alternative.

(A $100 summons paid pays for about 45 farebeaters)

No. After you take into account what the MTA is paying each of the fare inspectors that they wouldn't have hired if they hadn't gotten SBS, it might come down to paying for about 10-15 farebeaters AT MOST (knowing how the MTA wastes money, even less probably).

Last time i saw inspectors was at Sedgwick Ave, which was 2008 and 2010 in 207 Terminal. These people be in random places, NOT just a single spot. But even if you don't see them along the way, it is still important to pay. Don't risk going for free, like some folks do.

Been on the Bx12 / Bx15 from end to end, none. Haven't seen any since then, nor checked, but I still pay.

I never even seen them on the M15.

The MTA is saying they have handed out a lot of summons, but I'm sure not enough. Many of times I ride the Bx12+SBS and I see some folks just hoping on without going to the vending. Especially students.

I think they need to have an inspector ride the bus and check randomly. Or some other alternative.

I don't see a problem with students riding free on the bus...it's hard enough to get some of these kids to go to school...I don't want to be the one to hinder the situation any further. In my eyes, if they don't got it...it's really not their fault...all I can do is state the fare and hit the F5 key.

I don't see a problem with students riding free on the bus...it's hard enough to get some of these kids to go to school...I don't want to be the one to hinder the situation any further. In my eyes, if they don't got it...it's really not their fault...all I can do is state the fare and hit the F5 key.

I don't even mention the fare. Let MTA deal with it.

What's there to deal with? The MTA doesn't get any additional money whether they dip in a Student MetroCard or not.

lol... Anything to excuse their farebeating. Farebeating is ILLEGAL. Doesn't matter who does it. Stop trying to justify it already, because it is STEALING of services, period!! :mad:

That's like justifying someone going into a store and robbing it by saying that someone else would've robbed it eventually. Give me a break already!! :P

lol... Anything to excuse their farebeating. Farebeating is ILLEGAL. Doesn't matter who does it. Stop trying to justify it already, because it is STEALING of services, period!! :mad:

That's like justifying someone going into a store and robbing it by saying that someone else would've robbed it eventually. Give me a break already!! :P

So somehow it's stealing if they don't dip in their Student MetroCard when they would've gotten it for free anyway?????

Alright Mr. It's-So-Terrible-If-I-Have-To-Stand, what do you do when there's no room to board in the front and your only choice is to board through the back or get left behind? When you would've gotten a free ride anyway.

So somehow it's stealing if they don't dip in their Student MetroCard when they would've gotten it for free anyway?????

Alright Mr. It's-So-Terrible-If-I-Have-To-Stand, what do you do when there's no room to board in the front and your only choice is to board through the back or get left behind? When you would've gotten a free ride anyway.

Oh don't even try it. You know very well that Acela Express is referring to students that don't dip because they don't want to or can't afford to pay, not the ones that don't pay because the bus is too crowded.

Students are only entitled to a certain amount of rides per day so they might farebeat on the bus so they can use go to the mall, movies, or anywhere else after school. If your card is valid for 4 rides per day and you take 6 rides, then it is stealing. There's also half-fare student cards some students have and they either dip the card and go or not dip at all. So it is possible for students to farebeat and steal money. Those cards are not funpasses or unlimited metrocards

Students are only entitled to a certain amount of rides per day so they might farebeat on the bus so they can use go to the mall, movies, or anywhere else after school. If your card is valid for 4 rides per day and you take 6 rides, then it is stealing. There's also half-fare student cards some students have and they either dip the card and go or not dip at all. So it is possible for students to farebeat and steal money. Those cards are not funpasses or unlimited metrocards

He INSISTS that Student Metrocards should allow students to take care of ALL of their personal trips. Really?? When I went to hangout with my friends and drink or whatever on Fridays, if I needed public transportation, afterwards and my student Metrocard had expired, I PAID. I didn't look to steal services. It's called being your own responsibility. This sort of behavior leads to folks thinking that we as a society are always supposed to take care of them, even when they're grown ups. It's ridiculous and it does nothing but fosters a sense of entitlement that is grotesque to put it mildly. :mad:

He keeps talking about how they're going to school and doing the right thing. News flash... You're going to school to better YOURSELF, which means that you're entitled to nothing extra. I go to work to earn a living and based on his way of thinking, I should get a free ride to work because I'm contributing to society by paying taxes. Give me a break. Enough with this handout mentality!! :mad:

Archived