Fare beaters taking over bx-12 sbs

ac1962

That's like justifying someone going into a store and robbing it by saying that someone else would've robbed it eventually. Give me a break already!!

lmao... some hoods are like that, 'specially out in killa cali....

good analogy though....

Alright Mr. It's-So-Terrible-If-I-Have-To-Stand, what do you do when there's no room to board in the front and your only choice is to board through the back or get left behind? When you would've gotten a free ride anyway.

Wait for the next bus.... to hop the back of !!!

(props on the "mr _______" usage btw :tup:)

lmao... some hoods are like that, 'specially out in killa cali....

good analogy though....

Indeed... You still like lowercasing my "v" I see huh? Let me give you an example of what "Via Garibaldi" translates to in English... It's like saying "Garibaldi Street" in English. In Italian, "via" generally means street as opposed to how we tend to use "via" in English, so it's capitalized correctly. We use "viale" for avenue.

Students are only entitled to a certain amount of rides per day so they might farebeat on the bus so they can use go to the mall, movies, or anywhere else after school. If your card is valid for 4 rides per day and you take 6 rides, then it is stealing. There's also half-fare student cards some students have and they either dip the card and go or not dip at all. So it is possible for students to farebeat and steal money. Those cards are not funpasses or unlimited metrocards

And also, if a student had a half-fare MetroCard, what difference does it make if they ride the bus or not? The MTA isn't getting any additional money. You get full-fare MetroCards if you live over 1.5 miles from school, so if you live 1.49999 miles from school and you're running late, does the MTA get any benefit from you running late if they weren't going to get your money anyway?

And also see my post below.

He INSISTS that Student Metrocards should allow students to take care of ALL of their personal trips. Really?? When I went to hangout with my friends and drink or whatever on Fridays, if I needed public transportation, afterwards and my student Metrocard had expired, I PAID. I didn't look to steal services. It's called being your own responsibility. This sort of behavior leads to folks thinking that we as a society are always supposed to take care of them, even when they're grown ups. It's ridiculous and it does nothing but fosters a sense of entitlement that is grotesque to put it mildly. :mad:

He keeps talking about how they're going to school and doing the right thing. News flash... You're going to school to better YOURSELF, which means that you're entitled to nothing extra. I go to work to earn a living and based on his way of thinking, I should get a free ride to work because I'm contributing to society by paying taxes. Give me a break. Enough with this handout mentality!! :mad:

And when did I say they should be used for all personal trips?????? I said only those that are school-related. My school requires you to take part in extracurricular activities and also requires you to do community service. Yeah, most of the time I can get around with a combination of walking and using the transfers wisely, but it shouldn't have to be like that.

And if you're contributing to society by paying taxes, then sure I see no reason why you shouldn't get a free ride. Remember that I'd love it if all public transportation were free as long as it wasn't being used for nefarious purposes. Unfortunately, there's no way of telling who's using it for what purpose.

And yeah, it's doing me a ton of good to sit through classes where I already know the material. If society wants to waste money on forcing me to sit through Precalculus when I'm clearly qualified for AP Calculus, and forcing me to sit through Italian when I knew enough to pass the test after one year rather than two, and forcing me to take two years of English to take the Regents rather than one, then they can waste money on giving me a free Student MetroCard.

By the way, you were drinking when were young enough to get a Student MetroCard? And here you are preaching to me about how everybody should be following all the rules. :P

Wait for the next bus.... to hop the back of !!!

(props on the "mr _______" usage btw :tup:)

With a guy as impatient as me, you know I'm not waiting for the next bus. B)

Indeed... You still like lowercasing my "v" I see huh? Let me give you an example of what "Via Garibaldi" translates to in English... It's like saying "Garibaldi Street" in English. In Italian, "via" generally means street as opposed to how we tend to use "via" in English, so it's capitalized correctly. We use "viale" for avenue.

We mentioned that the last time. Let him capitalize what he wants to capitalize.

And when did I say they should be used for all personal trips?????? I said only those that are school-related. My school requires you to take part in extracurricular activities and also requires you to do community service. Yeah, most of the time I can get around with a combination of walking and using the transfers wisely, but it shouldn't have to be like that.

And if you're contributing to society by paying taxes, then sure I see no reason why you shouldn't get a free ride. Remember that I'd love it if all public transportation were free as long as it wasn't being used for nefarious purposes. Unfortunately, there's no way of telling who's using it for what purpose.

And yeah, it's doing me a ton of good to sit through classes where I already know the material. If society wants to waste money on forcing me to sit through Precalculus when I'm clearly qualified for AP Calculus, and forcing me to sit through Italian when I knew enough to pass the test after one year rather than two, and forcing me to take two years of English to take the Regents rather than one, then they can waste money on giving me a free Student MetroCard.

By the way, you were drinking when were young enough to get a Student MetroCard? And here you are preaching to me about how everybody should be following all the rules. :P

Oh please. I had a few shots of tequila here and there and I'm sure there are parents that give their kids a few glasses of wine. I didn't get piss drunk until I was of age, so spare me. This isn't about me drinking. This is about farebeating.

And you still fail to realize the point of school. This is why so many kids are failing miserably. There is more to school then learning enough to pass or pass a test. The goal isn't to learn enough to pass. The goal is to learn and APPLY the skills that you learn.

We mentioned that the last time. Let him capitalize what he wants to capitalize.

Uh, I'm sorry, but Via Garibaldi and via Garibaldi are two different things. :mad: It's Via Garibaldi for a reason, not because of a bloody typo.

1) Oh please. I had a few shots of tequila here and there and I'm sure there are parents that give their kids a few glasses of wine. I didn't get piss drunk until I was of age, so spare me. This isn't about me drinking. This is about farebeating.

And you still fail to realize the point of school. This is why so many kids are failing miserably. There is more to school then learning enough to pass or pass a test. The goal isn't to learn enough to pass. The goal is to learn and APPLY the skills that you learn.

2) Uh, I'm sorry, but Via Garibaldi and via Garibaldi are two different things. :mad: It's Via Garibaldi for a reason, not because of a bloody typo.

1) And if they had put me in AP Calculus like they should've, I'd be "applying" my knowledge from all the previous classes I took. And if they let me consolidate my classes and graduate early (by getting rid of the classes where I've clearly demonstrated a proficiency), I'd be "applying" my knowledge as a civil engineer.

The fact that I'm sitting in school taking classes where I know the material means that I'm not "applying" anything. I sit in the back of my Precalculus class and do the homework for my other classes. The homework is based on the lesson, so if I can do the homework (without having listened to a single word the teacher said), obviously I understand the material. And don't go off saying how it's disrespectful because this teacher sees me doing it and he's perfectly fine with it.

You're trying to find every excuse possible to keep me in school (receiving that Student MetroCard and an education on taxpayer dollars). The point of the matter is that in every single class I've taken, I have enough proficiency that I understand the material and I could teach somebody in that subject if I had to. You speak Italian, right? How about if I told you that you had to take a high school level Italian course? You'd be pretty pissed because you know the material. Well, that's how I feel.

2) Preaching to the choir. :P Geez, I took Italian for 5 years. I think I know what "Via" means.

But remember the last time we had this discussion (and I was actually the one who brought it up), you said you had no problem however he capitalized your name, as long as everybody knew who he was referring to.

Sorry but that doesn't justify anything. The vehicles that's being used to move the people around cost money, as well as paying the driver.

Whether whatever card is being put into the farebox, be it full fare Pay-Per-Ride or Unlimited, half-fare, or a student card, the farebox picks up that the person PAID their fare, and if they don't, F5 is hit. But even pressing that low life button doesn't make anything better, because when the farebox is probed at the depot at the end of the day, it'll detect how many people paid on what route and who didn't, and cuts are made as a result.

That's just food for thought, for everyone to think about that pressing F5 makes everything better. On the S42, the people who lived at the west end of that line in New Brighton were city employees, and they were angry as hell when they found out that service got reduced to where it is today, because people don't pay the fare at their own expense: no bus service on weekends.

The vehicles cost money, but if the student dips in a Student MetroCard, the MTA doesn't get any money to cover the cost.

And the S42 was eliminated off-peak because the segment where it wasn't duplicated by the S52 (after it was rerouted) was too small to justify keeping it around.

What's there to deal with? The MTA doesn't get any additional money whether they dip in a Student MetroCard or not.

Sorry but that doesn't justify anything. The vehicles that's being used to move the people around cost money, as well as paying the driver.

Whether whatever card is being put into the farebox, be it full fare Pay-Per-Ride or Unlimited, half-fare, or a student card, the farebox picks up that the person PAID their fare, and if they don't, F5 is hit. But even pressing that low life button doesn't make anything better, because when the farebox is probed at the depot at the end of the day, it'll detect how many people paid on what route and who didn't, and cuts are made as a result.

That's just food for thought, for everyone to think about that pressing F5 makes everything better. On the S42, the people who lived at the west end of that line in New Brighton were city employees, and they were angry as hell when they found out that service got reduced to where it is today, because people don't pay the fare at their own expense: no bus service on weekends.

1) And if they had put me in AP Calculus like they should've, I'd be "applying" my knowledge from all the previous classes I took. And if they let me consolidate my classes and graduate early (by getting rid of the classes where I've clearly demonstrated a proficiency), I'd be "applying" my knowledge as a civil engineer.

The fact that I'm sitting in school taking classes where I know the material means that I'm not "applying" anything. I sit in the back of my Precalculus class and do the homework for my other classes. The homework is based on the lesson, so if I can do the homework (without having listened to a single word the teacher said), obviously I understand the material. And don't go off saying how it's disrespectful because this teacher sees me doing it and he's perfectly fine with it.

You're trying to find every excuse possible to keep me in school (receiving that Student MetroCard and an education on taxpayer dollars). The point of the matter is that in every single class I've taken, I have enough proficiency that I understand the material and I could teach somebody in that subject if I had to. You speak Italian, right? How about if I told you that you had to take a high school level Italian course? You'd be pretty pissed because you know the material. Well, that's how I feel.

It's not about keeping you in school. It's about you learning. You never stop learning, not matter how much you know. Even when I taught Spanish & Italian, I learned a ton. That's what you fail to realize or acknowledge. The waste isn't you taking the class. The waste is you sleeping in class because you think you know it all, which is what you're implying by constantly ranting about it being a waste that you're taking classes that you know enough about already. And you wonder why folks were against students keeping Metrocards. If some of them (students) are just going to go to class to sleep then let them for their own rides. :mad::mad: :tdown::tdown:

If I was teaching that class I would kick you out. As a former teacher, there is nothing more disrespectful and rude than to talk while a teacher is teaching or sleep in class. I never had anyone sleep in my classes, as I was teaching adults, some of whom were older than me at the time (I was 24), but if someone thought that what they had to say was more important than me teaching, I would stop the class until respect was shown, or offer to let them teach the class. :mad:

2) Preaching to the choir. :P Geez, I took Italian for 5 years. I think I know what "Via" means.

But remember the last time we had this discussion (and I was actually the one who brought it up), you said you had no problem however he capitalized your name, as long as everybody knew who he was referring to.

Yeah, but this is different though. It's one thing to just write a person's name and another to purposely change the name when it's written the correct way, as is the case when you quote someone here on the forums. For some reason he is under the impression that it's via Garibaldi, which is very perplexing. I believed he mentioned before that it should be via Garibaldi and it should not be that way. As for your Italian... Well I'm sure there's one topic that I could sock you with that your 5 years wouldn't help with because even the Italians screw it up and it's a PITA to teach. B)

The vehicles cost money, but if the student dips in a Student MetroCard, the MTA doesn't get any money to cover the cost.

And the S42 was eliminated off-peak because the segment where it wasn't duplicated by the S52 (after it was rerouted) was too small to justify keeping it around.

Okay, so then if someone breaks into your house, but nothing is stolen, is it okay for them to keep breaking into your house and violating your privacy? Apparently, according to your logic it is.

Even when we talk about farebeaters that aren't students, you still justify them beating the fare, talking about how they generally only go a short distance, which has nothing to do with them paying, which means that you support it, which is very disturbing. Just because you want something to be free doesn't mean that you have to support folks breaking the law. I'm starting to wonder about your morals and values. Do you go around stealing things because you think it should be free??? :eek: Whether you realize it or not, your argument (which is terribly weak BTW) is pretty much saying that if what you want isn't free, just steal it, even if it is at someone else's expense. :tdown::tdown: Farebeating costs money, and the ones who pay for it are other passengers that do pay by way of fare increases, so it is NOT free or harmless as you try to make it sound. Aside from that many times it's the farebeaters that cost the most problems in terms of noise and ruckus, with the B/O having to stop the bus or threaten to kick them off for being roudy. :mad:

1) It's not about keeping you in school. It's about you learning. You never stop learning, not matter how much you know. Even when I taught Spanish & Italian, I learned a ton. That's what you fail to realize or acknowledge. The waste isn't you taking the class. The waste is you sleeping in class because you think you know it all, which is what you're implying by constantly ranting about it being a waste that you're taking classes that you know enough about already. And you wonder why folks were against students keeping Metrocards. If some of them (students) are just going to go to class to sleep then let them for their own rides. :mad::mad: :tdown::tdown:

If I was teaching that class I would kick you out. As a former teacher, there is nothing more disrespectful and rude than to talk while a teacher is teaching or sleep in class. I never had anyone sleep in my classes, as I was teaching adults, some of whom were older than me at the time (I was 24), but if someone thought that what they had to say was more important than me teaching, I would stop the class until respect was shown, or offer to let them teach the class. :mad:

2) Yeah, but this is different though. It's one thing to just write a person's name and another to purposely change the name when it's written the correct way, as is the case when you quote someone here on the forums. For some reason he is under the impression that it's via Garibaldi, which is very perplexing. I believed he mentioned before that it should be via Garibaldi and it should not be that way. As for your Italian... Well I'm sure there's one topic that I could sock you with that your 5 years wouldn't help with because even the Italians screw it up and it's a PITA to teach. B)

3) Okay, so then if someone breaks into your house, but nothing is stolen, is it okay for them to keep breaking into your house and violating your privacy? Apparently, according to your logic it is.

Even when we talk about farebeaters that aren't students, you still justify them beating the fare, talking about how they generally only go a short distance, which has nothing to do with them paying, which means that you support it, which is very disturbing. Just because you want something to be free doesn't mean that you have to support folks breaking the law. I'm starting to wonder about your morals and values. Do you go around stealing things because you think it should be free??? :eek: Whether you realize it or not, your argument (which is terribly weak BTW) is pretty much saying that if what you want isn't free, just steal it, even if it is at someone else's expense. :tdown::tdown: Farebeating costs money, and the ones who pay for it are other passengers that do pay by way of fare increases, so it is NOT free or harmless as you try to make it sound. Aside from that many times it's the farebeaters that cost the most problems in terms of noise and ruckus, with the B/O having to stop the bus or threaten to kick them off for being roudy. :mad:

1) Except that I'm not learning. I don't care what you say, but my knowledge of those subjects (note that I'm not saying all subjects) is not being increased.

And no, don't give me a Student MetroCard. Let me drop out of school and live off welfare my whole life (and not pay any taxes). That's definitely cheaper than spending a few thousand dollars on Student MetroCards.

And when did I mention I was talking in class?????? And in any case, this is why I'm glad you weren't my teacher. If a teacher is understanding that a student has a large workload (3 AP classes plus a College Now class), then it makes it more pleasant for me and for the teacher. If the teacher wants to be a b*tch and say "You can't sleep in class no matter how exhausted you are" then they're making it unpleasant for both themselves and myself.

And did you not understand what I said earlier??? I said I am capable of teaching the class because I know the material and know how to explain it. For the past 2.5 years of high school, I would always have the kids around me asking me what the correct way to do a problem was because they knew I was knowledgable about the subject (this was usually in math). And in English, you've got to be kidding me. When we were reading works of literature, his explanation of the piece of literature was exactly what SparkNotes said (not that I needed those translations because I knew what the book meant. :P ), so yeah I could teach them class, provided I was getting their salary for the period. B)

2) True, and that's another reason why I shouldn't have been held back. If I had been able to take the Regents a year early, I would've gone into AP Italian (which doesn't exist anymore) and at least had one more year of training in the language (of course, even then I'm not suggesting that I would've been at a professional level or anything, but at least I'd be a year ahead and I'd have a free period in college)

3) No, because buses are a public service, the same way roads, schools, police, firefighters, sanitation, and all other city services are public services. If they're paid for entirely by taxes, why shouldn't it be the same with transit?

And no, it's not the same as breaking into somebody's home because it literally made no difference to the MTA. They still record one rider on the system who they wouldn't have gotten money from anyway.

And yes, I am against the ones who cause trouble, but if you just take a seat and don't bother anybody, I have no problem with that.

1) Except that I'm not learning. I don't care what you say, but my knowledge of those subjects (note that I'm not saying all subjects) is not being increased.

Well that's a shocker. It's hard to learn when you're asleep in class. Have some respect for Christ's sake. You think it's appropriate to sleep in class because you want to be skipped. You've got a lot to learn. I've been in classes where I knew most of the stuff and didn't have to study. Was like that in my French class, but I still wasn't rude and slept. There is no excuse for that.

And no, don't give me a Student MetroCard. Let me drop out of school and live off welfare my whole life (and not pay any taxes). That's definitely cheaper than spending a few thousand dollars on Student MetroCards.

A better question is why do you think you're entitled to get a MetroCard just because you go to high school? If the (MTA) can't afford to keep the student cards, you'll have to do something and threatening to drop out of school is not going to make people feel sorry either because it's the parents responsibility to see that their kids make it to and from school and that's exactly why people said get rid of them before. If you choose to have kids, taking care of them is the parent's responsibility and their responsibility should not be the responsibility of others.

And when did I mention I was talking in class?????? And in any case, this is why I'm glad you weren't my teacher. If a teacher is understanding that a student has a large workload (3 AP classes plus a College Now class), then it makes it more pleasant for me and for the teacher. If the teacher wants to be a b*tch and say "You can't sleep in class no matter how exhausted you are" then they're making it unpleasant for both themselves and myself.

Haven't you heard of taking about experiences before? They don't always stay exactly on topic. I didn't say at any time that you were talking in class now did I?? I was talking about my students as an example of what I wouldn't tolerate.

Now, as for your "huge workload", you have such a large workload but you're complaining about being in a class that is too easy?? Doesn't make any sense to me. If anything maybe you shouldn't be in certain classes if you have too much of a workload. In any event, that still does not excuse your behavior. You have to learn to prioritize and sleeping in class is not the answer. What are you going to do when you finally have a semester where you don't have classes where you can sleep in class? You'll be royally ****** then...

And did you not understand what I said earlier??? I said I am capable of teaching the class because I know the material and know how to explain it. For the past 2.5 years of high school, I would always have the kids around me asking me what the correct way to do a problem was because they knew I was knowledgable about the subject (this was usually in math). And in English, you've got to be kidding me. When we were reading works of literature, his explanation of the piece of literature was exactly what SparkNotes said (not that I needed those translations because I knew what the book meant. ;) ), so yeah I could teach them class, provided I was getting their salary for the period. ;)

Very sad. You think of everything in dollars and cents. Sounds like you have a lazy teacher. Not the first time I've heard of it and it won't be the last. I had a Spanish class where the teacher would ask me to give her questions for the test. I was still had respect though and didn't do what you do. :tdown:

3) No, because buses are a public service, the same way roads, schools, police, firefighters, sanitation, and all other city services are public services. If they're paid for entirely by taxes, why shouldn't it be the same with transit?

You've got to be kidding me. So in other words, someone who drives, say your family who already pays through the nose for gasoline, insurance, maintenance for the car, etc., should now be forced to pay higher taxes for free transportation, even if they don't use it?? You really need to step into the real world because you clearly have no clue of how expensive these things are. Yes, we should pay of portion of taxes for transportation because if more folks use public transit, it benefits everyone, but you can't saddle folks with high taxes, esp. if they don't even use it.

And no, it's not the same as breaking into somebody's home because it literally made no difference to the MTA. They still record one rider on the system who they wouldn't have gotten money from anyway.

Ugh, I give up. You clearly have no morals. Everything is about dollars and cents with you. What part of stealing is wrong do you not get??? :mad: Aside from that you continue to ignore that this isn't about the (MTA). Of course the (MTA) doesn't care because they'll just past the costs on to the folks that do pay, so they get their money either way. Then again based on your comments, you have no problem saddling others with expenses that don't belong to them.

And yes, I am against the ones who cause trouble, but if you just take a seat and don't bother anybody, I have no problem with that.

lol... Farebeaters rarely do that. They generally are the ones that start the problems and that's a well known fact just from experience. I don't know what makes you think that farebeaters are such obedient folks, but many of them aren't.

When the farebox is probed and the depot gets all the stats downloaded into their computers, it's up to them what they'll do when they see F5 being punched constantly. The S42 could've had a number of reasons why service was reduced. Perhaps they saw ridership was rather poor and couldn't cover the runs needed. I only bring this up because F5 is not just used for MTA to cut service; it shows literally the problem lines they need to watch. For example: the B46 has over 5000 farebeaters per week, and it's the busiest line in the country. Did service get reduced? Not one bit --- the headways are literally every 30-60 seconds during peak hours.

B46 runs:

132 Weekday runs

96 Saturday runs

55 Sunday runs

1) Well that's a shocker. It's hard to learn when you're asleep in class. Have some respect for Christ's sake. You think it's appropriate to sleep in class because you want to be skipped. You've got a lot to learn. I've been in classes where I knew most of the stuff and didn't have to study. Was like that in my French class, but I still wasn't rude and slept. There is no excuse for that.

2) A better question is why do you think you're entitled to get a MetroCard just because you go to high school? If the (MTA) can't afford to keep the student cards, you'll have to do something and threatening to drop out of school is not going to make people feel sorry either because it's the parents responsibility to see that their kids make it to and from school and that's exactly why people said get rid of them before. If you choose to have kids, taking care of them is the parent's responsibility and their responsibility should not be the responsibility of others.

3) Haven't you heard of taking about experiences before? They don't always stay exactly on topic. I didn't say at any time that you were talking in class now did I?? I was talking about my students as an example of what I wouldn't tolerate.

Now, as for your "huge workload", you have such a large workload but you're complaining about being in a class that is too easy?? Doesn't make any sense to me. If anything maybe you shouldn't be in certain classes if you have too much of a workload. In any event, that still does not excuse your behavior. You have to learn to prioritize and sleeping in class is not the answer. What are you going to do when you finally have a semester where you don't have classes where you can sleep in class? You'll be royally ****** then...

4) Very sad. You think of everything in dollars and cents. Sounds like you have a lazy teacher. Not the first time I've heard of it and it won't be the last. I had a Spanish class where the teacher would ask me to give her questions for the test. I was still had respect though and didn't do what you do. :tdown:

5) You've got to be kidding me. So in other words, someone who drives, say your family who already pays through the nose for gasoline, insurance, maintenance for the car, etc., should now be forced to pay higher taxes for free transportation, even if they don't use it?? You really need to step into the real world because you clearly have no clue of how expensive these things are. Yes, we should pay of portion of taxes for transportation because if more folks use public transit, it benefits everyone, but you can't saddle folks with high taxes, esp. if they don't even use it.

6) Ugh, I give up. You clearly have no morals. Everything is about dollars and cents with you. What part of stealing is wrong do you not get??? :mad: Aside from that you continue to ignore that this isn't about the (MTA). Of course the (MTA) doesn't care because they'll just past the costs on to the folks that do pay, so they get their money either way. Then again based on your comments, you have no problem saddling others with expenses that don't belong to them.

7) lol... Farebeaters rarely do that. They generally are the ones that start the problems and that's a well known fact just from experience. I don't know what makes you think that farebeaters are such obedient folks, but many of them aren't.

1) Because it's really possible to sleep on a hard desk with teachers talking in the background, knowing you'll only get 40 minutes of sleep at most.

My head is down, but I'm still conscious and hear everything the teacher is saying. Still haven't learned a single new thing in those classes.

2) Well, I'd just walk. Sadly, there were times when it's taken 45 minutes to get to school by transit, so a 45 minute walk isn't too bad. I'd just have to make sure my first period teacher is understanding.

3) You're the one who's not making sense. I don't have a huge workload because I'm not intelligent. I have a huge workload because the work is tedious and boring (and like I said I have a bunch of after-school activities, not to mention I have to travel between them on public transportation which makes it even harder)

And the only time I've actually fallen asleep in the school building is in the library. I've never actually fallen asleep in a classroom, I just put my head down.

And I'll worry about not having any easy classes when that time comes. As of now, there is no reason for me to be sitting in a class where I know the material. You still haven't convinced me otherwise. I'll ask you again if you'd like to sit in a high school level Italian class when you already know the material.

4) What do dollars and cents have to do with anything? I'm doing the work of a teacher instead of them, so why shouldn't I take their pay for the hour? If the teacher wants to be smart and make me teach the class, and I call their bluff, they should take the consequences of that gamble. Of course, none of my teachers were jerks like that so that's never been a problem.

5) 60% of the people on the UES don't own cars. I'm sure they pay a lot of taxes to help maintain the roads and such. Single people pay taxes for kids to attend schools when they don't have children. People pay taxes for firefighters when their home never caught fire. It's just how taxes work: They are meant to benefit the greater good.

6) And you have yet to explain to me how somebody who wouldn't have paid anyway not dipping in their Student MetroCard has any financial impact whatsoever on the MTA.

7) I never mentioned anything as to whether a large number of farebeaters cause trouble. I simply said "And yes, I am against the ones who cause trouble, but if you just take a seat and don't bother anybody, I have no problem with that." What's so hard to understand about that? If you're riding the bus to cause trouble, you shouldn't be riding.

When the farebox is probed and the depot gets all the stats downloaded into their computers, it's up to them what they'll do when they see F5 being punched constantly. The S42 could've had a number of reasons why service was reduced. Perhaps they saw ridership was rather poor and couldn't cover the runs needed. I only bring this up because F5 is not just used for MTA to cut service; it shows literally the problem lines they need to watch. For example: the B46 has over 5000 farebeaters per week, and it's the busiest line in the country. Did service get reduced? Not one bit --- the headways are literally every 30-60 seconds during peak hours.

B46 runs:

132 Weekday runs

96 Saturday runs

55 Sunday runs

Actually, I think it's 3,000 farebeaters per day (probably close to 20,000 per week).

Still, compared to its ridership, it's not too bad. It gets over 50,000 riders per day, so 3,000 farebeaters is only 6%.

And the S42 had decent ridership and decent cost-efficiency, but most of the route was able to be covered by a rerouted S52, so they felt that the ridership on the small portion where it couldn't be covered wasn't enough to justify it being kept off-peak (during rush hours, it's more for crowd-control)

1) Because it's really possible to sleep on a hard desk with teachers talking in the background, knowing you'll only get 40 minutes of sleep at most.

My head is down, but I'm still conscious and hear everything the teacher is saying. Still haven't learned a single new thing in those classes.

Sure you do... And that's why you said that you sleep in class because you're always conscious when you put your head down. lol Who are you kidding? I was a student not too long ago, so I know all of the tricks.

3) You're the one who's not making sense. I don't have a huge workload because I'm not intelligent. I have a huge workload because the work is tedious and boring (and like I said I have a bunch of after-school activities, not to mention I have to travel between them on public transportation which makes it even harder)

And the only time I've actually fallen asleep in the school building is in the library. I've never actually fallen asleep in a classroom, I just put my head down.

And I'll worry about not having any easy classes when that time comes. As of now, there is no reason for me to be sitting in a class where I know the material. You still haven't convinced me otherwise. I'll ask you again if you'd like to sit in a high school level Italian class when you already know the material.

I already answered the question before. I told you I took a French class in college and pretty much already knew most of the stuff. I still didn't go to sleep though. Completely inexcusable. :mad:

4) What do dollars and cents have to do with anything? I'm doing the work of a teacher instead of them, so why shouldn't I take their pay for the hour? If the teacher wants to be smart and make me teach the class, and I call their bluff, they should take the consequences of that gamble. Of course, none of my teachers were jerks like that so that's never been a problem.

Apparently with you it has to do with everything. ;) Your logic seems to be based on dollars and cents. Service cuts... dollars and cents...

School and learning... dollars and cents

Farebeaters... dollars and cents

5) 60% of the people on the UES don't own cars. I'm sure they pay a lot of taxes to help maintain the roads and such. Single people pay taxes for kids to attend schools when they don't have children. People pay taxes for firefighters when their home never caught fire. It's just how taxes work: They are meant to benefit the greater good.

Well then explain why we have the current set up when it comes to public transit?

6) And you have yet to explain to me how somebody who wouldn't have paid anyway not dipping in their Student MetroCard has any financial impact whatsoever on the MTA.

The point is they shouldn't be riding to begin with. They've already caused enough trouble riding without paying! :mad: Whether you realize it or not, farebeating forsters more farebeating and when folks see others not paying whether they're a student or not, it encourages them to do the same thing, so yeah, like I said they shouldn't be riding. People aren't thinking, geez, he's/she's a student, so the (MTA) isn't losing any money if he/she didn't pay. You're the only one bringing up a ridiculous point like that. :mad: They're thinking, oh I see all of these people getting on and not paying, so why should I? That's what you don't get. A perfect example are those emergency gates in the train stations. Once one person opens them, the flood gates open because who is going to stop a hoard of folks from coming through as opposed to one person? Same thing with the bus.

7) I never mentioned anything as to whether a large number of farebeaters cause trouble. I simply said "And yes, I am against the ones who cause trouble, but if you just take a seat and don't bother anybody, I have no problem with that." What's so hard to understand about that? If you're riding the bus to cause trouble, you shouldn't be riding.

See my answer to point #6.

Actually, I think it's 3,000 farebeaters per day (probably close to 20,000 per week).

Still, compared to its ridership, it's not too bad. It gets over 50,000 riders per day, so 3,000 farebeaters is only 6%.

And the S42 had decent ridership and decent cost-efficiency, but most of the route was able to be covered by a rerouted S52, so they felt that the ridership on the small portion where it couldn't be covered wasn't enough to justify it being kept off-peak (during rush hours, it's more for crowd-control)

Oh boy... So you're telling me only 6% of the riders stole service, so it's not that bad? Well I guess we should allow this to happen in other places too like supermarkets and such, since it would only be a small percentage of profits lost. You make no sense at all. Nobody wants to lose millions of dollars due to theft because eventually the problem grows. Furthermore, no one (except someone like you) would try to justify others stealing for something that they should be paying for. If the (MTA) really focused on how much they lose due to farebeating they would see that the number of farebeaters in the system is growing, which is not at all good, no matter what you say and how you try to paint the numbers. :tdown: :tdown:

I like how you keep using the S42 as an example, as if farebeating isn't hurting service. I beg to differ. Those millions could help restore bus service where it was lost or add service where it is needed. :mad:

1) Sure you do... And that's why you said that you sleep in class because you're always conscious when you put your head down. lol Who are you kidding? I was a student not too long ago, so I know all of the tricks.

2) I already answered the question before. I told you I took a French class in college and pretty much already knew most of the stuff. I still didn't go to sleep though. Completely inexcusable. :mad:

3) Apparently with you it has to do with everything. ;) Your logic seems to be based on dollars and cents. Service cuts... dollars and cents...

School and learning... dollars and cents

Farebeaters... dollars and cents

4) Well then explain why we have the current set up when it comes to public transit?

5) The point is they shouldn't be riding to begin with. They've already caused enough trouble riding without paying! :mad: Whether you realize it or not, farebeating forsters more farebeating and when folks see others not paying whether they're a student or not, it encourages them to do the same thing, so yeah, like I said they shouldn't be riding. People aren't thinking, geez, he's/she's a student, so the (MTA) isn't losing any money if he/she didn't pay. You're the only one bringing up a ridiculous point like that. :mad: They're thinking, oh I see all of these people getting on and not paying, so why should I? That's what you don't get. A perfect example are those emergency gates in the train stations. Once one person opens them, the flood gates open because who is going to stop a hoard of folks from coming through as opposed to one person? Same thing with the bus.

6) Oh boy... So you're telling me only 6% of the riders stole service, so it's not that bad? Well I guess we should allow this to happen in other places too like supermarkets and such, since it would only be a small percentage of profits lost. You make no sense at all. Nobody wants to lose millions of dollars due to theft because eventually the problem grows. Furthermore, no one (except someone like you) would try to justify others stealing for something that they should be paying for. If the (MTA) really focused on how much they lose due to farebeating they would see that the number of farebeaters in the system is growing, which is not at all good, no matter what you say and how you try to paint the numbers. :tdown: :tdown:

I like how you keep using the S42 as an example, as if farebeating isn't hurting service. I beg to differ. Those millions could help restore bus service where it was lost or add service where it is needed. :mad:

1) Are you in my body? Are you even in my class? Didn't think so. How do you know whether I'm conscious or not? If I'm truly asleep, how come whenever a friend asks me about the material I'm able to suddenly pick my head and answer their question?

2) See above.

3) No, it's a matter of principle. You want to try and teach me a lesson you're going to regret it. Realistically I can't get the teacher's pay, but I can make them feel like an @ss for trying to call me out.

4) Your guess is as good as mine. How come 1% of the nation has 40% of the wealth?

5) By your logic, after one person gets on without paying, every single person at that stop getting on afterward should be thinking "They got on without paying, so I can get on without paying". I was at Richmond Avenue/Monsey Place around an hour ago, and 3 kids got on without paying. The 10-15 people behind them still paid.

And I've seen a variety of farebeaters. You have ones that just leave everybody alone, and then you have the obnoxious ones who make noise and ruin everybody else's ride. If the majority of them are the loud, rude ones then apparently I've gotten lucky and haven't had too many of them (bearing in mind that I use the local buses a lot more than you do). And no, there are just as many farebeaters as there always were. If it's increased then it hasn't been noticable.

6) Suuuure. Somehow saving money from service reductions isn't going to be invested back into the system (through adding service elsewhere or reducing the fares), and yet somehow that extra money (that they're not going to get because most of them will end up walking or not traveling) that they get from farebeaters is going to somehow be invested into the system.

1) Are you in my body? Are you even in my class? Didn't think so. How do you know whether I'm conscious or not? If I'm truly asleep, how come whenever a friend asks me about the material I'm able to suddenly pick my head and answer their question?

Don't even try it. You yourself said that you sleep in class. Now suddenly you're conscious? Give me a break.

2) See above.

See above.

3) No, it's a matter of principle. You want to try and teach me a lesson you're going to regret it. Realistically I can't get the teacher's pay, but I can make them feel like an @ss for trying to call me out.

And does that make you feel better? ;)

4) Your guess is as good as mine. How come 1% of the nation has 40% of the wealth?

Well perhaps you should research it. You keep suggesting it. I've already stated my opinions as to why.

5) By your logic, after one person gets on without paying, every single person at that stop getting on afterward should be thinking "They got on without paying, so I can get on without paying". I was at Richmond Avenue/Monsey Place around an hour ago, and 3 kids got on without paying. The 10-15 people behind them still paid.

Yeah, three kids, not one, three. The others clearly planned on paying, but if you have one person on the fence and they see others getting on, they won't bother. I've seen plenty of examples of it and you need to correct yourself about me using the local bus. I use it plenty, just not as much on Staten Island, but overall, I use the local buses DAILY.

And I've seen a variety of farebeaters. You have ones that just leave everybody alone, and then you have the obnoxious ones who make noise and ruin everybody else's ride. If the majority of them are the loud, rude ones then apparently I've gotten lucky and haven't had too many of them (bearing in mind that I use the local buses a lot more than you do). And no, there are just as many farebeaters as there always were. If it's increased then it hasn't been noticable.

Uh, yeah like I said you need to correct yourself about my local bus usage. You're referring to Staten Island not overall. Overall I use the local bus far more than you do, believe me. What's worse is that seeing how infrequently I use the local buses on Staten Island, it's amazing the amount of farebeating that I see, particularly on the S48 and S53.

6) Suuuure. Somehow saving money from service reductions isn't going to be invested back into the system (through adding service elsewhere or reducing the fares), and yet somehow that extra money (that they're not going to get because most of them will end up walking or not traveling) that they get from farebeaters is going to somehow be invested into the system.

It wouldn't be saving because they would already have the money if those folks paid. That's the point.

Oh, and apparently I have convinced you there's no need for me to sit through those classes where I know all of the material, so you don't have to make any more BS reasons why I should: http://www.nyctransitforums.com/forums/456995-post72.html :cool:

Interesting... So 43% of the farebeaters are "kids"... Those "kids" become "adults" you know...

1) Don't even try it. You yourself said that you sleep in class. Now suddenly you're conscious? Give me a break.

2) And does that make you feel better? ;)

3) Well perhaps you should research it. You keep suggesting it. I've already stated my opinions as to why.

4) Yeah, three kids, not one, three. The others clearly planned on paying, but if you have one person on the fence and they see others getting on, they won't bother. I've seen plenty of examples of it and you need to correct yourself about me using the local bus. I use it plenty, just not as much on Staten Island, but overall, I use the local buses DAILY.

5) Uh, yeah like I said you need to correct yourself about my local bus usage. You're referring to Staten Island not overall. Overall I use the local bus far more than you do, believe me. What's worse is that seeing how infrequently I use the local buses on Staten Island, it's amazing the amount of farebeating that I see, particularly on the S48 and S53.

6) It wouldn't be saving because they would already have the money if those folks paid. That's the point.

7) Interesting... So 43% of the farebeaters are "kids"... Those "kids" become "adults" you know...

1) Until you have the power to somehow go back in time and somehow be in the same classroom I am, you have no right to say what I did and didn't do. One of the teachers joked around that I was always sleeping in class, but she said "Yeah I know you're not really sleeping". Explain to me how a teacher could say "Wake him up" and I would shout out "I'm not sleeping" if I were unconscious. If you ever come in contact with any of my friends (or teachers) and ask them that, they'll tell you the same thing. But of course, that's not happening because of half of them live in your definition of "the hood" ;)

In any case, does it really matter? I might as well have been asleep because I didn't learn sh*t while I had my head down.

2) No because no teacher is that much of a jack*ss to try that (or at least none of mine have been)

3) And I've stated my opinions so there's nothing more to be said.

4) They looked like they were friends, so I doubt any of them planned on paying. In any case, they weren't bothering anybody so I really could care less.

By the way, I saw the new X10 sign "Pt. Richmond via Broadway" when I was crossing the street to get to the bus stop.

5) Yeah, I highly doubt that you use them more than me. I usually make 3-4 trips per day (plus transfers, but I don't know how you want to count those)

And yeah, I think it would be obvious that you see a lot of farebeating on the S48 and S53 because those are the only routes you ride. You only ride the S54 occasionally when you miss your bus or something, and I can't think of any other routes you ride with any regularity (based on what you've told everybody)

6) The point is that they would have extra money (whether it's savings from cuts or additional money from paying riders), and by your logic, they're not going to use it to improve the service.

7) Interesting how you're trying to get away from the topic (of kids being allowed to skip grades). And chances are a lot of those 43% were either students or were little kids (say, 8 or 9) with their parents who "technically" should've paid, but nobody's going to bother stopping them.

1) Until you have the power to somehow go back in time and somehow be in the same classroom I am, you have no right to say what I did and didn't do. One of the teachers joked around that I was always sleeping in class, but she said "Yeah I know you're not really sleeping". Explain to me how a teacher could say "Wake him up" and I would shout out "I'm not sleeping" if I were unconscious. If you ever come in contact with any of my friends (or teachers) and ask them that, they'll tell you the same thing. But of course, that's not happening because of half of them live in your definition of "the hood" ;)

In any case, does it really matter? I might as well have been asleep because I didn't learn sh*t while I had my head down.

Oh really??? So now suddenly, I'm making things up when you clearly stated that you sleep in class. I didn't just come up with this from the sky. You're just trying to backtrack. The fact is that one doesn't learn much sleeping in class. End of story. That's why you're changing the story to you just had your head down. Anything to justify why you should be pushed up to another class. lol

2) No because no teacher is that much of a jack*ss to try that (or at least none of mine have been)

Oh whatever. Why don't you go push your ideas to the powers that be and see what they say since you insist that you're so right? I have a feeling what would happen. You'd be laughed out of the room and given a pat on the head. LOL ;)

3) And I've stated my opinions so there's nothing more to be said.

Then that settles it.

4) They looked like they were friends, so I doubt any of them planned on paying. In any case, they weren't bothering anybody so I really could care less.

Yeah, that's usually when the sh*t occurs, when they're traveling in groups. That's when they all grow balls. :(

By the way, I saw the new X10 sign "Pt. Richmond via Broadway" when I was crossing the street to get to the bus stop.

Well it's about time. You would think you would've seen it way before now. You live right by the line.

5) Yeah, I highly doubt that you use them more than me. I usually make 3-4 trips per day (plus transfers, but I don't know how you want to count those)

And yeah, I think it would be obvious that you see a lot of farebeating on the S48 and S53 because those are the only routes you ride. You only ride the S54 occasionally when you miss your bus or something, and I can't think of any other routes you ride with any regularity (based on what you've told everybody)

Like I said, overall, I ride more than you. Far more. You're just counting your trips on Staten Island. For your information, I use all of the Victory Blvd buses and have used some of the Richmond Avenue buses as well, so I get around. Aside from that I was using the local buses for a good 7 years before I started using the express buses here, so I know what I'm talking about in terms of farebeating. Staten Island is by far one of the worst boroughs when talking about farebeating on the local buses.

6) The point is that they would have extra money (whether it's savings from cuts or additional money from paying riders), and by your logic, they're not going to use it to improve the service.

How are you telling me what my point is when I'm the one making it?? LOL I'm the one who started talking about what they could do if those people paid the fare. Funny one you.

7) Interesting how you're trying to get away from the topic (of kids being allowed to skip grades). And chances are a lot of those 43% were either students or were little kids (say, 8 or 9) with their parents who "technically" should've paid, but nobody's going to bother stopping them.

I'm not trying to get away from anything. You want to be skipped up and you have a few "easy classes" and yet according to you, you have too much work?? So how are you supposed to be able to handle a heavier workload and be moved up when you're already overburdened?? :confused: Makes no sense at all.

Just admit it already. You think transportation should be free and you have no problem with folks stealing service; be it kids or adults.

1) Oh really??? So now suddenly, I'm making things up when you clearly stated that you sleep in class. I didn't just come up with this from the sky. You're just trying to backtrack. The fact is that one doesn't learn much sleeping in class. End of story. That's why you're changing the story to you just had your head down. Anything to justify why you should be pushed up to another class. lol

2) Oh whatever. Why don't you go push your ideas to the powers that be and see what they say since you insist that you're so right? I have a feeling what would happen. You'd be laughed out of the room and given a pat on the head. LOL ;)

3) Then that settles it.

4) Yeah, that's usually when the sh*t occurs, when they're traveling in groups. That's when they all grow balls. :(

5) Well it's about time. You would think you would've seen it way before now. You live right by the line.

6) Like I said, overall, I ride more than you. Far more. You're just counting your trips on Staten Island. For your information, I use all of the Victory Blvd buses and have used some of the Richmond Avenue buses as well, so I get around. Aside from that I was using the local buses for a good 7 years before I started using the express buses here, so I know what I'm talking about in terms of farebeating. Staten Island is by far one of the worst boroughs when talking about farebeating on the local buses.

7) How are you telling me what my point is when I'm the one making it?? LOL I'm the one who started talking about what they could do if those people paid the fare. Funny one you.

8) I'm not trying to get away from anything. You want to be skipped up and you have a few "easy classes" and yet according to you, you have too much work?? So how are you supposed to be able to handle a heavier workload and be moved up when you're already overburdened?? :confused: Makes no sense at all.

Just admit it already. You think transportation should be free and you have no problem with folks stealing service; be it kids or adults.

1) Like I said, you're not in my school, so you don't know what I did and didn't do. There is only one time when I actually fell asleep and it was in the library.

And what does it matter anyway? On the days when I'm awake (even if I said I was sleeping, I never said I slept in every single class) I didn't learn anything anyway. I passed the tests and don't have a "memorize everything and then forget it after the test" type of knowledge. I mean I have a knowledge of that subject where I could explain the material.

And apparently I already have justified it as evidenced by that post you choose to ignore.

2) Well then explain to my why they did exactly that back when my father was in school. And yes, I have tried to suggest it to the powers that be. There was a meeting at CSI about the city budget and I suggested it to John Liu (the Comptroller), and he said it was a good idea (but then said something like "There are some things you can't replicate with a test" or something to that effect), but he said he'd look into it (though apparently he never did).

So no, wouldn't get laughed out of the room.

3) Yes it does.

4) Well, in this case they just left everybody alone.

5) I'm surprised too. When did they start having the signs up?

To be honest, my vision isn't that great (and I don't like putting my glasses on), so it's possible some passed by and I just didn't pay attention. Either that, or coincidentally, all the ones I saw just had the old signs. (Most of the express buses I see still have the letters in green instead of orange, so maybe they didn't program them into the older signs)

6) But you don't use them on a daily basis (not anymore at least). And occasional trips down Richmond Avenue or Victory Blvd don't count.

In any case, if you don't ride the buses in the other boroughs, how do you have anything to compare them to? I mean, you don't regularly ride the buses out in the other boroughs (except for maybe the Brooklyn routes, but even then it was just a select few routes)

7) However I said it, I was stating my point, which is that if money saved from service reductions isn't going to be reinvested into lowering the fare or improving service in other areas, then additional money generated from farebeaters wouldn't do it either.

8) Because the workload is the same in the higher class. It's not like elementary school where you start out in kindergarten with one assignment per night, and then by fifth grade you're doing 4 or 5 assignments per night. I still have to show up for the class whether it's easy or hard, and the amount of homework is roughly the same no matter what the grade level is. For instance, I'm taking AP English Language and the amount of work I'm getting is less than the amount of work I got last year.

In any case, the point is that it's not a lack of intelligence that makes the work hard. It's the fact that it's tedious. The amount of homework (and the fact that I have to show up when I could be using that time to do homework or something, and then I have more time to sleep) is more or less the same regardless of grade level, so why not go for the higher class?

And yeah, when did I deny that? Yes, I said transportation should be free and yes I said I really don't care about farebeating.

1) Like I said, you're not in my school, so you don't know what I did and didn't do. There is only one time when I actually fell asleep and it was in the library.

And what does it matter anyway? On the days when I'm awake (even if I said I was sleeping, I never said I slept in every single class) I didn't learn anything anyway. I passed the tests and don't have a "memorize everything and then forget it after the test" type of knowledge. I mean I have a knowledge of that subject where I could explain the material.

Like I said you (not me) originally said you sleep in class. Now you're changing it around, but it's okay. lol

And apparently I already have justified it as evidenced by that post you choose to ignore.

You didn't justify anything. You think teaching is solely about knowing how to teach a topic huh? You've got a lot to learn. There's far more to it than that and your arrogance and lack of respect for the teachers is quite disturbing, but not shocking, seeing how you rationalize things.

2) Well then explain to my why they did exactly that back when my father was in school. And yes, I have tried to suggest it to the powers that be. There was a meeting at CSI about the city budget and I suggested it to John Liu (the Comptroller), and he said it was a good idea (but then said something like "There are some things you can't replicate with a test" or something to that effect), but he said he'd look into it (though apparently he never did).

So no, wouldn't get laughed out of the room.

Yeah, well I'm laughing you out of the room for him. LOL LOL ;) He didn't want to embarrass you, so of course he would say that the way that he did, but he made the same point that I made in the thread earlier. If you really believed that he would look into it, you would've pressed the issue more. He didn't look into it because he agrees with the idea of not pushing students ahead that shouldn't be and realizes the importance of learning. That's the problem now with the students in the schools. They're not learning. Yeah, maybe you're excelling, but overall, students are being pushed ahead into grades that they don't belong in and being force fed material so that they can pass a bloody test, but they lack basic skills that they should have for the grades that they are in. Some of them aren't even on the proper reading level, yet they've been constantly passed along. Totally unacceptable. Meanwhile you think because you can explain a topic that you should automatically be skipped along. Not. Yeah I took AP classes too in high school and tried to pass the AP English test so that I could skip those English classes in college. Actually was glad that I didn't pass because I learned a ton from the English classes that I took in college (several Shakespeare courses, and a writing course). What was also great was how much my Spanish & Italian improved my English writing. I became a much more sophisticated writer from being multilingual. :cool:

5) I'm surprised too. When did they start having the signs up?

It's been several weeks now... Where have you been?? :eek:

To be honest, my vision isn't that great (and I don't like putting my glasses on), so it's possible some passed by and I just didn't pay attention. Either that, or coincidentally, all the ones I saw just had the old signs. (Most of the express buses I see still have the letters in green instead of orange, so maybe they didn't program them into the older signs)

Coca-Cola glasses eh? :( That explains your squinting at the hearing when I saw you. ;)

As for the older buses, most of them are programmed with them too and the X10 is using mainly 22XXs these days. All of the newer buses that I've seen on the X10 have it for sure.

6) But you don't use them on a regular basis (not anymore at least). An occasional trip along Victory Blvd or Richmond Avenue doesn't count.

In any case, if you don't ride the buses in the other boroughs, how do you have anything to compare them to? I mean, alright you used to use SI buses a lot, but you haven't used the local buses in the other boroughs regularly (unless you count using the buses in Brooklyn back when you were a teenager, but I doubt you were counting who was farebeating)

Last I checked, Manhattan counted as one of the boroughs and I ride the local buses in the city just about everyday and I do use some of the local buses occasionally in Brooklyn when I go back. As for Staten Island, spare me. The routes that I rode haven't changed much at all. The same goes for the routes that I've rode in the other boroughs. Haven't changed all that much. Maybe the routes were tweaked, but it's the same atmosphere on those lines. If anything, on Staten Island, the farebeating is just as rampid as it was before, if not worse. Seems like folks are more bold with it. I actually am getting sick of throwing money away in car service (I don't like having to use car service to and from work when I have the express bus within walking distance, so today and a few days ago I did use the S53 since I was too lazy to leave early to catch the X30 or X14. Suffice it say that both days I missed my express bus, despite leaving enough time to get there, hence why I stopped dealing with these damn local buses on the island. :mad:

I think Wednesday I called myself getting the 08:49 bus to Hylan Blvd for the X2 and it took almost 20 f-ing minutes from Forest & Broadway to Targee & Clove. :mad: The minute I stepped on, I instantly remembered why I hadn't used the local bus in months. No ventilation on the bus (so I was getting all sweaty by the minute and I wasn't even wearing one of my heavy Canadian parkas :() and we were just crawling, so I said **** it. I broke down and got off thinking I had enough time to catch the 09:14 X15 (I got off around 09:08 or so), but he came early because I didn't even see him when we were approaching Targee street, so he must've come a good 5 minutes before 09:08, which is ridiculous. :mad: From previous experiences, that 09:14 bus tends to come at about 09:04, a good 10 minutes before its due to show up, which is insane when the next X15 isn't scheduled until 09:37. Waited almost 30 minutes for another friggin bus and the line for the next bus was insane. Almost 20 people lined up waiting because the other guy came early. The 09:29 X10 was MIA or at the very least late, so I had to wait for the next (last) X15, which came a tad early at 09:33. Man I was pissed. Thursday I took car service to and from work, even though I used the X30 coming home, but I had to make a stop by Richmond & Forest, so I killed two birds with one stone and stopped at Stop & Shop after making my stop since the errand I had to run was only a few steps from the supermarket. Today, I was too lazy and I didn't feel like paying for car service to Hylan Blvd (the rates have gone up and it's now like $15 from Hylan to my house so :( and I feel that's a bit high considering that I was paying $12 max before to go from Fingerboard by the express bus to my house). I'm supposed to spend about $200.00 a month in car service, so the idea of spending a $100.00 for the week in car service doesn't sit well with me. My original thinking was that car service would only be used for late nights out in the city or at work and on the weekends. When I have to start using it in the mornings because I'm too lazy to get up early, then that's when I get a little annoyed with myself because I know that I'll make a habit of doing it, so taking the local bus is like a punishment. That'll force me to get up and start walking to the X14 or X30 again, since I hate dealing with the local buses on the island.

Today I actually got the S53 and stayed on it to Hylan and it looked like we would get to Hylan with no problems until the B/O decided to wait several minutes at the previous stop. Then he crawls to the light just in time for me to see the last X2 of the morning stop and wait at the stop and then take off. :mad:

Back to today's farebeating ride on the S53. I saw this one black guy throw a few coins into the machine (and I mean a few) then he walked on like paying the fare is some sort of "courtesy" or something. That's what they usually do: gesture that they made an effort to pay so they should be allowed on. Last I checked paying $2.25 wasn't supposed to be an "option". :mad:

1) Like I said you (not me) originally said you sleep in class. Now you're changing it around, but it's okay. lol

2) You didn't justify anything. You think teaching is solely about knowing how to teach a topic huh? You've got a lot to learn. There's far more to it than that and your arrogance and lack of respect for the teachers is quite disturbing, but not shocking, seeing how you rationalize things.

3) Yeah, well I'm laughing you out of the room for him. LOL LOL ;) He didn't want to embarrass you, so of course he would say that the way that he did, but he made the same point that I made in the thread earlier. If you really believed that he would look into it, you would've pressed the issue more. He didn't look into it because he agrees with the idea of not pushing students ahead that shouldn't be and realizes the importance of learning. That's the problem now with the students in the schools. They're not learning. Yeah, maybe you're excelling, but overall, students are being pushed ahead into grades that they don't belong in and being force fed material so that they can pass a bloody test, but they lack basic skills that they should have for the grades that they are in. Some of them aren't even on the proper reading level, yet they've been constantly passed along. Totally unacceptable. Meanwhile you think because you can explain a topic that you should automatically be skipped along. Not. Yeah I took AP classes too in high school and tried to pass the AP English test so that I could skip those English classes in college. Actually was glad that I didn't pass because I learned a ton from the English classes that I took in college (several Shakespeare courses, and a writing course). What was also great was how much my Spanish & Italian improved my English writing. I became a much more sophisticated writer from being multilingual. :cool:

4) It's been several weeks now... Where have you been?? :eek:

5) Coca-Cola glasses eh? :( That explains your squinting at the hearing when I saw you. ;)

As for the older buses, most of them are programmed with them too and the X10 is using mainly 22XXs these days. All of the newer buses that I've seen on the X10 have it for sure.

6) Last I checked, Manhattan counted as one of the boroughs and I ride the local buses in the city just about everyday and I do use some of the local buses occasionally in Brooklyn when I go back. As for Staten Island, spare me. The routes that I rode haven't changed much at all. The same goes for the routes that I've rode in the other boroughs. Haven't changed all that much. Maybe the routes were tweaked, but it's the same atmosphere on those lines. If anything, on Staten Island, the farebeating is just as rampid as it was before, if not worse. Seems like folks are more bold with it. I actually am getting sick of throwing money away in car service (I don't like having to use car service to and from work when I have the express bus within walking distance, so today and a few days ago I did use the S53 since I was too lazy to leave early to catch the X30 or X14. Suffice it say that both days I missed my express bus, despite leaving enough time to get there, hence why I stopped dealing with these damn local buses on the island. :mad:

I think Wednesday I called myself getting the 08:49 bus to Hylan Blvd for the X2 and it took almost 20 f-ing minutes from Forest & Broadway to Targee & Clove. :mad: The minute I stepped on, I instantly remembered why I hadn't used the local bus in months. No ventilation on the bus and we were just crawling, so I said **** it. I broke down and got off thinking I had enough time to catch the 09:14 X15 (I got off around 09:08 or so), but he came early because I didn't even see him when we were approaching Targee street, so he must've come a good 5 minutes before 09:08, which is ridiculous. :mad: From previous experiences, that 09:14 bus tends to come at about 09:04, a good 10 minutes before its due to show up, which is insane when the next X15 doesn't scheduled until 09:37. Waited almost 30 minutes for another friggin bus and the line for the next bus was insane. Almost 20 people lined up waiting because the other guy came early. The 09:29 X10 was MIA, so I had to wait for the next (last) X15, which came a tad early at 09:33. Man I was pissed. Thursday I took car service to and from work and today, I was too lazy and I didn't feel like paying for car service to Hylan Blvd (the rates have gone up and it's now like $15 from Hylan to my house so :( and I feel that's a bit high considering that I was paying $12 max before to go from Fingerboard by the express bus to my house). I'm supposed to spend about$200.00 a month in car service, so the idea of spending a $100.00 for the week in car service doesn't sit well with me.

Back to today's ride on the S53. I saw this one black guy throw a few coins into the machine (and I mean a few) then he walked on like paying the fare is some sort of "courtesy" or something. That's what they usually do: gesture that they made an effort to pay so they should be allowed on. Last I checked paying $2.25 wasn't supposed to be an "option". :mad:

1) Well if that's the case, find where I said that (you can use the search feature).

2) You said "For some classes, perhaps you should be skipped, but NOT unless it is very clear that you have all of skills required to move ahead. We have too many kids in the system that are pushed ahead and moved to the next grade who shouldn't be and they end up being in high school lacking the skills that they should have, and I mean the basic skills too like reading, writing and so forth. What good is it doing them to be in 8th grade when they read on a 4th grade level and can't even write properly?? Sure skip kids ahead, but make sure that they are prepared fully to be skipped ahead."

More proof you ignored that post.

And apparently the teachers don't consider it disrespectful (except for that one English teacher) because they were all fine with it. The couple where I was putting my head down (or sleeping or whatever you want to call it) would always joke around with me afterwards about it. I mean, a lot of the teachers are very friendly (not friend like a regular friend, obviously more of a professional friend, but overall fairly laid-back. Like they'll see me in the hallway after class or in between classes and say hello and possibly chat for a minute) :tup:

3) Well then that's your opinion, but I still disagree.

And let me give you another example. Last year, I was always late to my first period class (stupid unreliable S46 :( ). That class was AP World History. But even in spite of that, I was always at the top of the class (I got good grades on my tests), and I even got a 4/5 on my AP test (the only one to do so. Most people got 2s and only a couple of people got 3s)

The point was that I didn't actually learn from being in the class. Most of the learning took place from me reading the textbook (unlike everybody else in the class), and not in the actual classroom. And I still remember most of the material from the class.

If having a thorough understanding of the subject isn't enough of a reason to skip the class, what is? The class was called "AP World History" and I have a knowledge of college-level world history. When I was taking Biology back in 9th grade, I had a knowledge of 9th grade biology.

4) Cloud nine, my friend.....cloud nine. I've missed so much sleep these past few weeks that I'm completely oblivious half the time. :( Luckily the vacation gave me a chance to somewhat catch up.

5) For some reason, in the PM rush I barely see any X10s. It's almost all X12s and X42s.

I mean, maybe it's just the fact that it's green and it's hard to see it at night (for me at least)

6) Well, the Manhattan routes really don't represent the average route in the city. If you're going in Midtown Manhattan where at least half the riders wear suits and ties, I doubt you're going to see much farebeating. And it's definitely a different atmosphere than the routes in the outer boroughs (or even Upper Manhattan). I mean, I told you about that time I was on the M5 and I felt so out of place on that bus (I was shocked that you didn't have to push the back door. :eek:)

And in any case, good thing you usually leave a 30 minute cushion, huh? :(

As far as that last guy goes, well, a few coins is better than nothing. At least it shows you're making an attempt to pay the fare.

1) Well if that's the case, find where I said that (you can use the search feature).

You've said before in other threads on several occasions. No need to search for it.

2) You said "For some classes, perhaps you should be skipped, but NOT unless it is very clear that you have all of skills required to move ahead. We have too many kids in the system that are pushed ahead and moved to the next grade who shouldn't be and they end up being in high school lacking the skills that they should have, and I mean the basic skills too like reading, writing and so forth. What good is it doing them to be in 8th grade when they read on a 4th grade level and can't even write properly?? Sure skip kids ahead, but make sure that they are prepared fully to be skipped ahead."

More proof you ignored that post.

I know what I said. You seem to be implying that because of the fact that you can teach a topic and perhaps because you do well on the tests that you should automatically be skipped ahead, and there is more to it than that in order to be skipped ahead IMO.

3) Well then that's your opinion, but I still disagree.

Yes, me a lot of other people's opinion. Of course you disagree. Despite the fact that you think you can teach a class like an experienced teacher can, you don't have a full understanding of what characteristics are important to ensure that one is truly learning and it's not all about how many things you can memorize and what you can teach and all of that. It goes far deeper than that. Okay, so you're excelling in some subjects. Fine, but that doesn't mean that you should just be skipped on ahead as if you don't need school or something. Some day maybe you'll get that learning isn't all about what you learn in a book.

And let me give you another example. Last year, I was always late to my first period class (stupid unreliable S46 ;) ). That class was AP World History. But even in spite of that, I was always at the top of the class (I got good grades on my tests), and I even got a 4/5 on my AP test (the only one to do so. Most people got 2s and only a couple of people got 3s)

The point was that I didn't actually learn from being in the class. Most of the learning took place from me reading the textbook (unlike everybody else in the class), and not in the actual classroom. And I still remember most of the material from the class.

If having a thorough understanding of the subject isn't enough of a reason to skip the class, what is?

That's the whole problem. You think having a thorough understanding of the subject is the sole reason that you're in school and it's NOT.

1) You've said before in other threads on several occasions. No need to search for it.

2) I know what I said. You seem to be implying that because of the fact that you can teach a topic and perhaps because you do well on the tests that you should automatically be skipped ahead, and there is more to it than that in order to be skipped ahead IMO.

3) Yes, me a lot of other people's opinion. Of course you disagree. Despite the fact that you think you can teach a class like an experienced teacher can, you don't have a full understanding of what characteristics are important to ensure that one is truly learning and it's not all about how many things you can memorize and what you can teach and all of that. It goes far deeper than that. Okay, so you're excelling in some subjects. Fine, but that doesn't mean that you should just be skipped on ahead as if you don't need school or something. Some day maybe you'll get that learning isn't all about what you learn in a book.

4) That's the whole problem. You think having a thorough understanding of the subject is the sole reason that you're in school and it's NOT.

1) If I've said it so many times, it should easily turn up in a search. ;)

2) Like what? If a class is titled "Biology" and I know Biology (for that grade level) then why shouldn't I be skipped ahead?

3) I'm not saying I should be skipped ahead out of all the classes, just the ones I'm excelling in. Obviously if I could get out of all of my classes that would be great, but I wouldn't mind taking a class like English or History where I'm good but I don't know all about it.

For instance, in Biology I knew all of the topics. Mitosis, meiosis, respiration, biomes, etc, even before I entered the classroom because I learned it all in middle school, so I got good grades while putting very little effort in (putting my head down or sleeping or whatever you want to call it in a lot of the classes). The same thing for Precalculus. The only reason I didn't go directly into AP Calculus was because of my age, because there were students a year older than myself who got in with lower grades.

But say, in AP American History I don't know much about the topics we haven't covered yet, and I don't mind sitting through it. To be honest, I really don't need to sit through the class (because most of the studying takes place at home), but it would probably take me a year to get through the textbook anyway if I did it on my own.

4) Yeah, maybe in kindergarten you're there to learn about life lessons and stuff, but this is high school. The only reason you're in high school (or even middle school) is to learn.

My dad skipped 8th grade and half of the 12th grade, and he turned out perfectly fine and became successful. Obviously we're not living in a penthouse on 5th Avenue, but you get the point.

Oh, and I added a few things to the previous post (you know me by now. :( )

Oh boy... I know you said it, but you clearly don't remember saying it so you should be doing the search not moi. ;)

And apparently the teachers don't consider it disrespectful (except for that one English teacher) because they were all fine with it. The couple where I was putting my head down (or sleeping or whatever you want to call it) would always joke around with me afterwards about it. I mean, a lot of the teachers are very friendly (not friend like a regular friend, obviously more of a professional friend, but overall fairly laid-back. Like they'll see me in the hallway after class or in between classes and say hello and possibly chat for a minute) :tup:

Yeah, that's because they let you slide, that's all. I had this chick in my AP Gov't class and she was in all AP classes. I believe she was in my AP English class as well. One of these, on my God, I can't be caught dead in anything less than an AP class and I have to have nothing lower than a perfect grade types. ;) She would do nothing but talk about how she had to study for this or write that paper because of course he had to get ready to apply for the top notch schools otherwise her life would be shattered. :( I mean yeah I was a grade snob too, but she took the cake. I saw her some years ago on the (4) train when I was working during one summer in college and she was clearly the same chick. High stressed and obsessed with perfection.

3) If having a thorough understanding of the subject isn't enough of a reason to skip the class, what is? The class was called "AP World History" and I have a knowledge of college-level world history. When I was taking Biology back in 9th grade, I had a knowledge of 9th grade biology.

So maybe you should be in more advanced courses but not necessarily skipped. I prefer AP courses over being skipped because many students excel at learning and need to be challenged more, but they still lack certain skills, which is why they should not be automatically skipped. You're in school for a reason and it's not to skip classes just because you know some topics very well. Learning encompasses far more than that. The idea is to develop you to become a well rounded human being. What good is it if you can remember xyz but have no other skills necessary to successful in LIFE? And no being in school doesn't teach you everything, but it teaches you far more than you realize. You're also there to learn about discipline, about boundaries, about managing your time, about all sorts of things that you'll need later on in life as an adult... Analyzation skills, communicative skills and the list goes on and on.

Man what that Public speaking class did for me... :cool:

4) Cloud nine, my friend.....cloud nine. I've missed so much sleep these past few weeks that I'm completely oblivious half the time. :( Luckily the vacation gave me a chance to somewhat catch up.

Yeah well you like burning the candles at both ends that's all. Hell I usually go to bed at 02:30 and wake up at 07:00, but I'm used to that. I do take naps on the express bus and do tend to sleep longer on the weekends to compensate.

5) For some reason, in the PM rush I barely see any X10s. It's almost all X12s and X42s.

I mean, maybe it's just the fact that it's green and it's hard to see it at night (for me at least)

The X10s for some reason come in bunches. I'll never understand that line. Maybe when bus tracking comes to SI it'll get better, but for now seeing 3 X10s bunched together is the norm. :(

6) Well, the Manhattan routes really don't represent the average route in the city. If you're going in Midtown Manhattan where at least half the riders wear suits and ties, I doubt you're going to see much farebeating. And it's definitely a different atmosphere than the routes in the outer boroughs (or even Upper Manhattan). I mean, I told you about that time I was on the M5 and I felt so out of place on that bus (I was shocked that you didn't have to push the back door. :eek:)

Oh please. The point is I have and do use local buses regularly, so I know what I'm in talking about.

And in any case, good thing you usually leave a 30 minute cushion, huh? :(

Yeah well if I leave catch an 08:50 bus then that's no longer a 30 minute cushion, but it's still enough time for me to get me work on time if I don't have to wait around BS-ing. :mad: For example, the X15 should've taken about 20 minutes to Downtown and then another 20 minutes on the subway. The 20 minutes on the S53 would've been an hour, which would still leave me with 10 minutes to spare.

As far as that last guy goes, well, a few coins is better than nothing. At least it shows you're making an attempt to pay the fare.

Like I said the fare is $2.25. Transportation is not supposed to be a charity. :mad: :tdown:

1) Oh boy... I know you said it, but you clearly don't remember saying it so you should be doing the search not moi. ;)

2) Yeah, that's because they let you slide, that's all. I had this chick in my AP Gov't class and she was in all AP classes. I believe she was in my AP English class as well. One of these, on my God, I can't be caught dead in anything less than an AP class and I have to have nothing lower than a perfect grade types. ;) She would do nothing but talk about how she had to study for this or write that paper because of course he had to get ready to apply for the top notch schools otherwise her life would be shattered. :( I mean yeah I was a grade snob too, but she took the cake. I saw her some years ago on the (4) train when I was working during one summer in college and she was clearly the same chick. High stressed and obsessed with perfection.

3) So maybe you should be in more advanced courses but not necessarily skipped. I prefer AP courses over being skipped because many students excel at learning and need to be challenged more, but they still lack certain skills, which is why they should not be automatically skipped. You're in school for a reason and it's not to skip classes just because you know some topics very well. Learning encompasses far more than that. The idea is to develop you to become a well rounded human being. What good is it if you can remember xyz but have no other skills necessary to successful in LIFE? And no being in school doesn't teach you everything, but it teaches you far more than you realize. You're also there to learn about discipline, about boundaries, about managing your time, about all sorts of things that you'll need later on in life as an adult... Analyzation skills, communicative skills and the list goes on and on.

Man what that Public speaking class did for me... :cool:

4) Yeah well you like burning the candles at both ends that's all. Hell I usually go to bed at 02:30 and wake up at 07:00, but I'm used to that. I do take naps on the express bus and do tend to sleep longer on the weekends to compensate.

5) The X10s for some reason come in bunches. I'll never understand that line. Maybe when bus tracking comes to SI it'll get better, but for now seeing 3 X10s bunched together is the norm. :(

6) Yeah well if I leave catch an 08:50 bus then that's no longer a 30 minute cushion, but it's still enough time for me to get me work on time if I don't have to wait around BS-ing. :mad: For example, the X15 should've taken about 20 minutes to Downtown and then another 20 minutes on the subway. The 20 minutes on the S53 would've been an hour, which would still leave me with 10 minutes to spare.

7) Like I said the fare is $2.25. Transportation is not supposed to be a charity. :mad: :tdown:

1) In this country, the burden of proof rests on the accusers, not the accused. :(

2) Yeah, I know a kids like that. Geez, talk about annoying. :(

Apparently, he got high grades in his Spanish class and would try to show off his Spanish to everybody. (By saying a bunch of very simple phrases or screwing up anything remotely complicated). You know the saying "It's better to be silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt".

3) AP classes allow you to bypass the class in college, so that's fine by me.

In any case, I already have most of those skills and even if I didn't, I still have a bunch of other classes where I could learn them.

4) I wish I could do that on my way to school. I actually know a few people who fell asleep on the S89 and ended up in Bayonne. :eek: One of them claims he was on the last bus of the morning and he spent the day in Bayonne (though according to the schedule, the last bus gets to Bayonne at 09:19 and then goes back to SI at 09:25, so the only way it's possible is if the B/O didn't let him back on or something)

5) True, true.

6) Why didn't you go to Clove Road/Hylan Blvd and give yourself more options? Or Father Capodanno Blvd?

7) Or is it? Seriously, around the country, public transportation is mostly used by the poor.

Archived