PABT Bus and Gates?

Doogie

I never wanted fares by county. The interstate should still cost more than intrastate, but the gap shouldn't be as huge. Maybe increasing the intrastate rather than lowering the interstate?

Actually, fares by county wouldn't be too bad an idea. I mean, as of now, somebody pays the same $5.50 whether they want to reach Bay Ridge (fairly close to Manhattan) or areas like Little Neck, Queens and Tottenville, Staten Island. I mean, Wayne isn't that much further from Manhattan than Paterson (it's around 17 miles to Paterson and 20 miles to Wayne)

And by "interstate" and "intrastate" fares, what are you referring to? Are you referring to the fare to cross that last zone boundary into NY or PA? Or is it something else (is the fare for crossing zone boundaries more on the interstate lines? What if you are making an intrastate trip on an interstate line?)

HUH NJ ppl would rather TAKE THE BUS than drive period for all kinds of travel? How is that?? How would the lower fares cause ppl to abandon driving and crowd the buses?? Wouldn't that make buses run at a profit if their buses got ravaged with overcrowding explain this one. So you are telling me that if interstate fares were lower then PM car traffic would plummet and ppl wouldn't drive to NYC at PM rush and use buses instead?

It depends what the elasticity of demand is, and the ability of NJT to accomodate the demand without adding too many buses.

even for intrastate trips how crowded can those buses get how many ppl will actually switch to the bus? look at the 800 series ppl don't love em what can turn those into sardine cans? let alone the mercer lines.

Those are probably the exception. And don't forget that if the fare is lower, you may get more passengers, but the fare isn't as much per passenger, so you're really not going to get any increase in revenue.

even for intrastate trips how crowded can those buses get how many ppl will actually switch to the bus? look at the 800 series ppl don't love em what can turn those into sardine cans? let alone the mercer lines.

I'll tell you how you can turn them into sardine cans. You have to find ways to make the bus look more appealing. That's hard to do knowing some of the 800 routes are run on the hour becuase they don't have enough buses, they dont go everywhere in the county, and they're running buses that are old.

1. Actually, fares by county wouldn't be too bad an idea. I mean, as of now, somebody pays the same $5.50 whether they want to reach Bay Ridge (fairly close to Manhattan) or areas like Little Neck, Queens and Tottenville, Staten Island. I mean, Wayne isn't that much further from Manhattan than Paterson (it's around 17 miles to Paterson and 20 miles to Wayne)

2. And by "interstate" and "intrastate" fares, what are you referring to? Are you referring to the fare to cross that last zone boundary into NY or PA? Or is it something else (is the fare for crossing zone boundaries more on the interstate lines? What if you are making an intrastate trip on an interstate line?)

3. It depends what the elasticity of demand is, and the ability of NJT to accommodate the demand without adding too many buses.

4. Those are probably the exception. And don't forget that if the fare is lower, you may get more passengers, but the fare isn't as much per passenger, so you're really not going to get any increase in revenue.

Answer to 1: Yeah but if gas wasn't so damned high as it is now, then it would be possible. Plus, even though it's 3 miles away, it's a longer trip, which uses fuel and resources, as some people might say.

Answer to 2: Interstate is any trip that starts or ends in either NY or Philadelphia while Intrastate is any trip that starts and ends insides NJ. If someone is making a intrastate trip on a interstate route, as long as the fare stars and ends in NJ, the person pays the intrastate fare, depending on how many zones the passenger is going to.

Answer to 3: That's the thing. DEMAND. I'll bet there's demand but where is the resources going to come from for this demand? It makes me wonder how the 84 SO MANY YEARS AGO had buses running every 3 to 5 minutes before the Jitneys were involved. Obviously, there was a demand, but how did that work always puzzled me.

Answer to 4: Exactly. Where is the revenue going to go? Besides, someone has to pay for the crossings and the tolls that is involved (AC Expressway, GWB, Lincoln, Holland, NJ Turnpike, GS Parkway, Ben Franklin Bridge): Those fares have to be paid for, and lowering the fares might be a issue since the fares for these crossings are going up. How are the fares going to accommodate for the lost revenue that will happen with the rising cost of tolls, and even fuel?

Yea, NJ Transit bus system is a pain in the ass to use, ok, I can understand the distance based fares but.....

No bus map or Pay per ride card? I mean how do to yall NYC fans be bus fanning multiple NJT bus routes in one day? I just wish they would make a bus map for their system, of course they would have to put it in sections (Like NYC does with the boroughs), that trip planner on their site is just annoying to use.

Does anybody know why NJT never bothered to make bus maps for their system? The only map I ever seen is inside the GWB bus station next to where you buy tickets for NJT buses, where a good portion of fort lee, union city, and some other towns in that area are listed.

Something slimar to the Metrocard would be nice, but I doubt it though... ;)

This ain nothin more then an attempt to bash njt lol.......playin wit ya but yeah I agree if it wasn't for my emp Id I'd never fan njt. I actually didn't start to fan njt until I became an employee.

As for the fare system with njt, ima jus stay outta this one.

I'll tell you how you can turn them into sardine cans. You have to find ways to make the bus look more appealing. That's hard to do knowing some of the 800 routes are run on the hour becuase they don't have enough buses, they dont go everywhere in the county, and they're running buses that are old.

The funny thing about that when I was talking to NJT board in front of many ppl when they were gonna make cuts I mentioned how to make 800 lines suck less and manipulate a loophole to get around their lack of buses issue via manipulation of traffic flow on nearby highways to figure out what lines are able to merge and lines that aren't. That was what got their attention. It would have used the money saved from eliminating lines to extend other lines to merge with parts of eliminated lines. I looked into history to get inspiration. Some 300 lines had promise and had bad routing.

They should put electronic signs and that point out where each gate is whats taking off from it. The only way right now to truly find ur bus, is to either ask for help, (which alot of cops and PA worker don't even know if NJ Transit even serves the terminal. I once I had a cop very amazed NJT stoped at PABT, I was like you work here and you don't know that? he was serious. He tought PABT only served Greyhound and MTA Bus). or walk to each gate port and read the stupid felt boards that display what route is leaving. And the Directory in PABT is no help at all.

At Walter Rand Transportation Center in Camden, they have a big departure board with all the bus departures, even for buses on Broadway

Archived