Cable giants battle could leave locals without Knicks, Rangers and Islanders to start the New Year

Shortline Bus

"Unless there’s a last-minute twist, Knicks, Rangers, Islanders and Devils fans who subscribe to Time Warner Cable could see their favorite teams’ network go dark at the stroke of midnight Sunday.

A long-running dispute over how much Time Warner pays the Madison Square Garden Network to offer subscribers its programming has led to the showdown."

Cable giants battle could leave locals without Knicks, Rangers and Islanders to start the New Year  - NY Daily News

I was watching MSG shortly after the ball drop and MSG pulled their signal from Time Warner Cable shortly after midnight and replaced MSG with NBA TV.

MSG No Longer On Time Warner Cable - SB Nation New York

Another year in 2012 and Charles and Jim Dolan again treating their MSG TV customers like crap again. Thankfully I am no longer a TWC customer.:mad::tdown:

first the Dolans drop Dish, then they kick Time Warner to the curb. That leaves themselves, Fios and Direct TV for city residents who want to watch those games. Anyone else see the pattern I'm seeing?

Who wants to bet on how long till they pick a fight with Direct TV?

The only pattern that I see is that Time Warner SUCKS... I could care less since I'm a FiOS subscriber. :cool:

It's MSG's fault.

They demanded a raise in the rates Time Warner pays them to carry the network. Time Warner agreed.

They then reneged, demanded a significantly higher increase, and demanded that Time Warner start carrying FUSE again - NATIONALLY - a piece of crap music station that is Dolan's wannabe MTV brainchild...which is one of the least watched cable stations in the country.

Time Warner said no, because doing so would cause them to raise their rates (which they've certainly done enough of).

I don't side with Time Warner often, but this time I do. James Dolan is a d***bag who doesn't deserve to run anything except a Marathon, so we can see if he actually drops dead when he runs 26.2 miles to deliver the message that he's an idiot who is one of the biggest reasons the Knicks and Rangers have been mediocre for so long. Not to mention the timing of this is retarded with both teams finally competitive, as it could steal some of the city sports attention away from the overrated NFL during the week. Now good luck getting new fans into the "new MSG" when the new fans can't even casually watch on TV to see if they like the product.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to bump this issue but it's now a huge news story again.

Looks like Knicks sensation Mr. Lin and the Rangers hot streak has again brought back into the spotlight. Not to mention, Mike Francesa and his callers on his show today hammering both sides in the dispute.

Jeremy Lin fervor may help settle MSG/Time Warner cable dispute  - New York Daily News

Sorry to bump this issue but it's now a huge news story again.

Looks like Knicks sensation Mr. Lin and the Rangers hot streak has again brought back into the spotlight. Not to mention, Mike Francesa and his callers on his show today hammering both sides in the dispute.

Jeremy Lin fervor may help settle MSG/Time Warner cable dispute* - New York Daily News

I was just talkin about the rangers (to a co-worker) & how they haven't gotten any props for doing damage in the eastern conference this year.... Of course the defense to that is "no one cares about hockey", but damn all that.... The rangers were playing winning hockey long before "Lin-sanity" came about, and yep, not a favorable mention of them or nothin....

So what was fatboy's stance on the dispute?.... MSG's been tryin to get as much pretty pennies out of Time Warner as they can.... the MSG network does not make Time Warner....

I was just talkin about the rangers (to a co-worker) & how they haven't gotten any props for doing damage in the eastern conference this year.... Of course the defense to that is "no one cares about hockey", but damn all that.... The rangers were playing winning hockey long before "Lin-sanity" came about, and yep, not a favorable mention of them or nothin....

So what was fatboy's stance on the dispute?.... MSG's been tryin to get as much pretty pennies out of Time Warner as they can.... the MSG network does not make Time Warner....

Bro (B35) Francesa seemed to be hammering both in trying to address the callers going nuts on missing Knick/Ranger games. He had spokepersons from both companies as guests on today's 2/15/12 show. Francesa wanted to spend most of the show last couple of days on Linmania and even little on the Rangers. However many of the callers (TWC customers)instead changed the topic and forced his show to address the TWC/MSG dispute.

Francesa went after that TWC spokesperson when he asked him why TWC was offering no rebates. The TWC guy stated that TWC are getting the NBA & NHL channels 'for free' for rest of the season. Still unless you live at least 75 miles from NYC, you screwed not watching Knick/Ranger games with blackout rules. So B35 hope that explains it.

Another example the digital cable/salelite provider business is a bunch of crap. The solution should be a total revamp of that business. And we as suckers woops customers means we will get a price hike.B)

If Lin-Sanity becomes INSANITY and if TWC doesn't strike a deal with MSG, I think the TWC customers will burn down whatever building Time Warner Cable is based in. But I have Fios. :cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool::cool:

Of course not...there's not as much ad money in hockey and we know that's what it's all about.

Go to a game sometime and you'll see passionate fans, less of the corporate fair weather fans you see in basketball who show up in the second quarter and leave at halftime, and spend the whole game ordering drinks with fancy stirrers and typing/calling on their blackberries.

ESPN hates the NHL because it has no deal with them, so they additionally take every measure to bury the game. News media doesn't cover it because "it's not on ESPN so people must not care".

It's a vicious cycle of stupidity. If the Rangers make a cup run, then people will pretend to care.

Archived