Attention: In order to reply to messages, create topics, have access to other features of the community you must sign up for an account.
Sign in to follow this  
EE Broadway Local

A Question About "Bus Following"

Here in Tucson, I've seen buses on routes 8 Broadway-6th Avenue and 4 Speedway that read "BUS FOLLOWING". They stop only on a stop requested and beyond the bus stop area. I've been on a route 8 that became a "BUS FOLLOWING".

The bus that follows is generally two to five minutes behiind. On weekedays the #8 has ten minute headways and the #4 has ten to fifteen minute headways.

My question is: Is the bus with "BUS FOLLOWING" kind of on a "battery run" to attempt to make up time or to keep a minimal spacing between buses?

So far, on the #8, it appears to be a Novabus followed by a Gillig while on the #4 a Novabus followed by a Novabus. My #8 did make my stop requested stop the day I was on it.

It's for both reasons.

Note that most systems use "NEXT BUS PLEASE". First time I've ever heard of "Bus following".