NICE Bus 1816

RH6291

From what I've heard (and as others have posted on these forums in the past) the buses were ordered by the (MTA)BUT a majority of the funds came from State and Federal grants to be used in Nassau County, so in the eyes of the State and Federal government these buses are owned by and to be used in Nassau County.

The new order this summer will also be funded by grants and will be property of Nassau County.

When/if Nassau & Veolia end their relationship it's not like Veolia can take the new buses that were meant for Nassau County.

From what I've heard (and as others have posted on these forums in the past) the buses were ordered by the (MTA)BUT a majority of the funds came from State and Federal grants to be used in Nassau County, so in the eyes of the State and Federal government these buses are owned by and to be used in Nassau County.

The new order this summer will also be funded by grants and will be property of Nassau County.

When/if Nassau & Veolia end their relationship it's not like Veolia can take the new buses that were meant for Nassau County.

The new order this summer is what the MTA ordered as well?

What about the new delivery thats coming?

If so, that could be like if you leased a car, you still would be the registered owner although the dealer/bank actually owned it. (I believe)

Yes, buses #1760-1839 were MTA-owned and are now leased to Nassau County/Veolia. #1700-1759 are directly owned by Nassau County as are all of the Orion 05.501 CNGs.

The 1800s specifically were purchased with TIGER grant funds that were granted to the MTA not Nassau County. Thus why those buses are Soup to Nuts, MTA-spec'd, there was no input from the county on those buses unlike the 1700s. The upper 1700s share a little more MTA spec than the lower 1700s.

Also the major sight factor is the blue stripe. All Nassau County owned buses had to wear county colors (Orange & Blue). Nassau County threw a huge hissy-fit when the MTA stripped off a couple of Orion 5s into straight blue and had to return those units to Orange & Blue stripping.

Yes, buses #1760-1839 were MTA-owned and are now leased to Nassau County/Veolia. #1700-1759 are directly owned by Nassau County as are all of the Orion 05.501 CNGs.

The 1800s specifically were purchased with TIGER grant funds that were granted to the MTA not Nassau County. Thus why those buses are Soup to Nuts, MTA-spec'd, there was no input from the county on those buses unlike the 1700s. The upper 1700s share a little more MTA spec than the lower 1700s.

Also the major sight factor is the blue stripe. All Nassau County owned buses had to wear county colors (Orange & Blue). Nassau County threw a huge hissy-fit when the MTA stripped off a couple of Orion 5s into straight blue and had to return those units to Orange & Blue stripping.

I've seen so many O 5s lately, I guess Veolia is trying not to use the MTA leased buses as much.

Out of curiosity where does this information come from? And don't all of the buses say "owned by Nassau County operated by Veolia"?

Suffolk owns all their buses but doesn't write Owned by Suffolk County on them, they probably do it so that residents who don't take the bus won't get mad that the county owns the buses. (As some people have gotten mad at when they learned that the county supports a bus system) Thats probably why Suffolk Buses say Operated By (Blank).

Nassau buses do say they operated by Veolia, they just use the word "Powered by" instead of Operated By.

You are right. Jay Walder himself said Nassau owns all the buses, but some city people cant seem to accept that..:(

Because City people don't care about facts and what is proven they only care about being right, thats one reason my mom and Grandmother didn't like living in Port Jefferson during the summer (After Port Jefferson became a summer spot) because people from the city would come in and act like they owned all and treated the year round locals with disrespect. My mom recounted a time when her and one of her friends where pushed off the sidewalk one time when she was younger because the people from the city wouldn't let them walk on the sidewalk.

Suffolk owns all their buses but doesn't write Owned by Suffolk County on them, they probably do it so that residents who don't take the bus won't get mad that the county owns the buses. (As some people have gotten mad at when they learned that the county supports a bus system) Thats probably why Suffolk Buses say Operated By (Blank).

Actually I don't think that's the reason at all, I don't even think people noticed these legals posted on the bus. It is not required to post who owns the vehicles on the bus, just who operates it. When the place is also the owner, you see "owned and operated by"

I do wonder why the operators of the SCT buses don't post their DOT number on the buses.

Nassau buses do say they operated by Veolia, they just use the word "Powered by" instead of Operated By.

While there is a decal that says "powered by" this is on the buses as well...

Posted in: Welcome Aboard the NICE- Lucky NICE RIDE Pt. 1

409035_2656670528990_1022642806_32649103_163384029_n.jpg

Actually I don't think that's the reason at all, I don't even think people noticed these legals posted on the bus. It is not required to post who owns the vehicles on the bus, just who operates it. When the place is also the owner, you see "owned and operated by"

I do wonder why the operators of the SCT buses don't post their DOT number on the buses.

None of the Companies, do interstate commerce, and there for probably aren't required to show their USDOT#. where as a company like Veolia would probably have to because they have operations in other states, though that is just my guess.

While there is a decal that says "powered by" this is on the buses as well...

Posted in: Welcome Aboard the NICE- Lucky NICE RIDE Pt. 1

I didn't notice that it said Owned by Nassau and Operated by Veolia above the USDOT# and the NYSDOT#.

None of the Companies, do interstate commerce, and there for probably aren't required to show their USDOT#. where as a company like Veolia would probably have to because they have operations in other states, though that is just my guess.

It's possible... Although, if you run the DOT # on the side of the bus it's specific to the NICE operation, not a nationwide DOT # for all of Veolia. The number comes back to Veolia Transportation 700 Commercial Ave Garden City, NY... So, like EBT, NICE is not doing interstate commerce.

It's possible... Although, if you run the DOT # on the side of the bus it's specific to the NICE operation, not a nationwide DOT # for all of Veolia. The number comes back to Veolia Transportation 700 Commercial Ave Garden City, NY... So, like EBT, NICE is not doing interstate commerce.

Ah, I didn't know that they got a DOT # for each location, I assumed it was one number for one company.

I remember I saw a DOT# on a school bus operated by First Student (though it said the bus was still owned by Laidlaw) a few years ago, and no other school bus I've seen has a DOT#.

So maybe Veolia does it as an easy way to identify of where the bus came from encase a report had to be filled so a person doesn't have to write Veolia and look through all the individual numbers of all their operations.

Archived