what's up fellas

Cleverlyslick

I'm new to this forum but a little about myself. I'm a rail car tech for kawasaki rail car.we basically assemble the new R160's head to toe.I have a prick manager(well they're pretty much all pricks in there) and I am looking to stay within the rail car industry but for the city and hopefully move on to better things.rail car tech in kawasaki doesn't pay well. I'm interested in becoming a train operator/conductor don't know how to go about doing it though. what are the requirements? do I need college? how much do they pay? thanx to all in advance.

(MTA)(MTA)(MTA)

cleverlyslick

You only need a H.S diploma + 5 years continuous work experience to become a T/O off the O/C list. For C/R, I don't think a H.S diploma is required, but don't quote me on that. If you are a Rail car technician, you might also be able to take the RCI (Rail car Inspector) test for MTA. Pay for T/O is 26.99hr start, and tops out at 28+. C/R is a few dollars less. RCI should be more.

Wecome to the board! I'm suprised Kawasaki don't pay well. I can tell you this it seems like you guys did a better job in getting your trains rolling with less problems then the other guys.

If you want to be a (NYCT) Conductor or Train Operator you have to wait from the next Civil service exam which is unknown at this point.

Requirments:

Conductor : High School Diploma or be promoted from Property Protection Agent , Station Agent or Cleaner.

Train Operator"

- Promoted from Bus Operator , Conductor , or Tower Operator

OR

- High School Diploma and 5 Years of Full time paid satisfactory work Experance

(College education may be substituted for experance on the following basis. One year of acceptable experance will be credited for each 30 credits completed at an accredited college up to a Max of four years. However all candidates must have at least one year of full time satisfactory paid work experance. Part time paid experance will be Pro rated.)

Thats from the offical NOE for Train Operator.

Welcome to the forums!! Im shocked that kawasaki doesn't pay well. Esp to build the 160s

Btw did you try to appy for another builder like astom or bombardier?

i haven't applied to bombardier or alstom.my goal is to get in to nyct,the benefits are much better and it's something permanent.kawasaki only has work when there are projects rolling,otherwise they start laying off,and that sucks my friends.although we have alot of projects coming up.we got the path PA5 project,we have the R157 project (flatcar maintenance cars which is my personal favorite) and we have some more option cars for the R160 trucks,i think it's something like 400.but still trying to move forward you know.

(MTA)(MTA)(MTA)

Y??:confused:

Just to put it short C/R's have less responsibity and less work then T/O's do. T/O's have to be alert at all times while C/R's not so much they sitting or standing while your holding the controller down. T/O's have to go to the Yard and C/R's don't. Good Example my (L) job pays over 8 HRS for both me and C/R. I do 4 trips and a Lay Up but the C/R does 4 Trips and 1 Hour to relax and watch TV for the same pay exept for the $2 more an hour.

I had my Fun when I was a C/R and I remember T/O's tell me enjoy it before you move up front and have to really work.

Just to put it short C/R's have less responsibity and less work then T/O's do. T/O's have to be alert at all times while C/R's not so much they sitting or standing while your holding the controller down. T/O's have to go to the Yard and C/R's don't. Good Example my (L) job pays over 8 HRS for both me and C/R. I do 4 trips and a Lay Up but the C/R does 4 Trips and 1 Hour to relax and watch TV for the same pay exept for the $2 more an hour.

I had my Fun when I was a C/R and I remember T/O's tell me enjoy it before you move up front and have to really work.

Don't C/R's get platform duty and flagging from time to time though? Meant to ask btw, Do T/O's ever get flagging duty? (I'd think not, but obviously I woulnd't ask if I knew the answer B))

Archived