Old MTA Bus Route Concepts

RTS CNG Command

Prior to the cuts, the MTA had serious considerations of creating new bus routes and restructuring ones that were current at the time.

Two concepts were the Q94 from Flushing to Fordham Plaza and the Bx50 route from Fordham Plaza to LaGuardia.

Of course, many of us clamored for the B77 and B71 (when they were still running) to run from Crown Heights (or Cobble Hill?) to South Ferry (for the B71) and the B77 from Red Hook to South Ferry.

And then there is one restructuring concept that I've heard and read, yet never talked about: the M9 and M21 restructured with the M13 traveling from the Lower East Side to Midtown. I don't know much about this restructure idea, and I'd love it if there are people who can give me a fully detailed scoop on it, from the route structures, times, and where they would go.

So, I have a question. What MTA concepts would you like to see revisited? Or what concepts do you like, yet can be tweaked a bit more? Please describe them in full detail.

I would say two that then (MTA) Boss Sandler proposed should be created as soon as possible.

One is the proposed (Q94)running as a supplemental route to the (Q44) and (BX9). I would run between Riverdale(Riverdale Ave/231)and Main/Roosevelt in Flushing. Of course it would still serve the Fordham Center area.

The other to relieve overcrowding on the (M60)is the planned BX50 route between the Fordham area and LGA airport.

Here is a list of some of the 2008 proposed changes...

The M13 would go from 72nd St to somewhere in the Lower East Side and run via 1 and 2nd Avenues to 14th St and Avenue D. The M9 would be sent to VA Hospital where it ends now BUT it would still run to Battery City.

I made a route similar to the concept M13, the M15A.

m15apic.png

The M15A would be a branch/spur of the regular M15, except it would follow the old M9 route from 14th St down to St. James' Place. I thought it would easy to implement based on how similar it is to the current M15. But it would just make the already long M15 just longer, and I don't know if it would serve places riders of the old M9 want to go (including Battery Park, as I had the M15A ending at South Ferry), so I guess it'd do more harm then good. Plus there'd have to be a little reduction in M15 local service levels to make the M15A (let's face it, having the M15 local at current service levels and the M15A would be too much local service) and I don't know if taking away some service from the M15 route and moving it a block or two over to help old M9 riders is a good idea.

Gorgor threw out an idea for a route a little while back. The M17, essentially the old X90 (in the years right before it was eliminated) as a branch of the M15 SBS. Gorgor might disagree with me on this, but I think the M17 is a actually a good idea and could end up being more beneficial and accessible then an X90 revival ever could be. Even never had ridden the X90, I don't really see how the M15SBS is supposed to replace the X90 when it goes nowhere near the World Financial Center. Even though the X90 is peak rush hour only, I think the M17 could stand to run both directions during Rush Hour (and start some runs at South Ferry if necessary)... just think of people coming off the SI Ferry and whatnot who could benefit from taking faster M15 service to Midtown. Of course, you'd have to reduce M15 SBS service a little bit, to not not have too much service when you add in the M17. I guess you could ask, is it worth having a little less service at Catherine St, Grand St, Houston St and 14th St for faster service to Midtown and service to WFC? Of course, the faster FDR trips would save the (MTA) some $$, right? What do you guys think of this M17 idea?

Also, it's a shame the B62 (no relation to the current B62, or the pre-1995 B62) the (MTA) wanted to make never came around, it really would've been something having a local bus route in 3 boroughs.

Speaking of 2008 changes... the (MTA) rerouted the old Bx2 completely because it could no longer turn straight from 3rd Ave onto Melrose Av due to DOT changes in the Hub. Geez, the (MTA) could have very easily kept service on the old Bx2 segment by doing this:

Bx2OldReroute.png

Taking into account the Bx1 and Bx2 Limited shift back in 2010, the Bx1 Limited would have to make all local stops below 165th St, which admittedly I don't think is the best idea but I guess it's only a few extra stops.

As for the B44 SBS, the idea can be tweaked by not sending it onto Rogers Av!!! ;)

Not bus-related, but remember how the (MTA) wanted to have the (R) to Queens Blvd 24/7 and have the (N) run over the Bridge at night?

Here is a list of some of the 2008 proposed changes...

The M13 would go from 72nd St to somewhere in the Lower East Side and run via 1 and 2nd Avenues to 14th St and Avenue D. The M9 would be sent to VA Hospital where it ends now BUT it would still run to Battery City.

I made a route similar to the concept M13, the M15A.

m15apic.png

The M15A would be a branch/spur of the regular M15, except it would follow the old M9 route from 14th St down to St. James' Place. I thought it would easy to implement based on how similar it is to the current M15. But it would just make the already long M15 just longer, and I don't know if it would serve places riders of the old M9 want to go (including Battery Park, as I had the M15A ending at South Ferry), so I guess it'd do more harm then good. Plus there'd have to be a little reduction in M15 local service levels to make the M15A (let's face it, having the M15 local at current service levels and the M15A would be too much local service) and I don't know if taking away some service from the M15 route and moving it a block or two over to help old M9 riders is a good idea.

Gorgor threw out an idea for a route a little while back. The M17, essentially the old X90 (in the years right before it was eliminated) as a branch of the M15 SBS. Gorgor might disagree with me on this, but I think the M17 is a actually a good idea and could end up being more beneficial and accessible then an X90 revival ever could be. Even never had ridden the X90, I don't really see how the M15SBS is supposed to replace the X90 when it goes nowhere near the World Financial Center. Even though the X90 is peak rush hour only, I think the M17 could stand to run both directions during Rush Hour (and start some runs at South Ferry if necessary)... just think of people coming off the SI Ferry and whatnot who could benefit from taking faster M15 service to Midtown. Of course, you'd have to reduce M15 SBS service a little bit, to not not have too much service when you add in the M17. I guess you could ask, is it worth having a little less service at Catherine St, Grand St, Houston St and 14th St for faster service to Midtown and service to WFC? Of course, the faster FDR trips would save the (MTA) some $$, right? What do you guys think of this M17 idea?

Also, it's a shame the B62 (no relation to the current B62, or the pre-1995 B62) the (MTA) wanted to make never came around, it really would've been something having a local bus route in 3 boroughs.

Speaking of 2008 changes... the (MTA) rerouted the old Bx2 completely because it could no longer turn straight from 3rd Ave onto Melrose Av due to DOT changes in the Hub. Geez, the (MTA) could have very easily kept service on the old Bx2 segment by doing this:

Bx2OldReroute.png

Taking into account the Bx1 and Bx2 Limited shift back in 2010, the Bx1 Limited would have to make all local stops below 165th St, which admittedly I don't think is the best idea but I guess it's only a few extra stops.

As for the B44 SBS, the idea can be tweaked by not sending it onto Rogers Av!!! :(

Not bus-related, but remember how the (MTA) wanted to have the (R) to Queens Blvd 24/7 and have the (N) run over the Bridge at night?

Or the Bx2 could've made a right on 149th, then a left on Courtlandt, then right on 3rd Av.

Or the Bx2 could've made a right on 149th, then a left on Courtlandt, then right on 3rd Av.

If your talking about Southbound, there are BX41s that Lay up at 3rd And Courtlandt. Don't know if theres space for that.

I would say two that then (MTA) Boss Sandler proposed should be created as soon as possible.

One is the proposed (Q94)running as a supplemental route to the (Q44) and (BX9). I would run between Riverdale(Riverdale Ave/231)and Main/Roosevelt in Flushing. Of course it would still serve the Fordham Center area.

The other to relieve overcrowding on the (M60)is the planned BX50 route between the Fordham area and LGA airport.

There is a 'cost neutral' way to do the Q94 route

1. Wait until 2013 for the opening of the Throgs Neck Shopping Center

2. Do nothing and let the Q44 get more overloaded with passengers and increased delays

3. Create a separate branch of the Q50 route (called the Q94) to follow the Q44 to Hugh Grant Circle to relieve crowding (Headways between Flushing and Whitestone Cinemas area would be cut in half on the Q50/Q94 route).

4. Extend Q94 branch to Fordham Plaza and split it from the Q50 route (school trippers can go to Bedford Park Paul 205).

Q94 is now created as an MTA Bus route, being 100% reimbursed by NYC. All thanks to the new Throggs Neck Shopping Center and the already overcrowded Q44. :tup:

Well, this might not be much of a help BUT it's worth it...I think.

I would bring back the Q75 extension to Queensborough Community College (6AM - 10PM on weekdays) On weekends, extend the route to Springfield Blvd and L.I.E.

This would give Queens residents another alternative to Jamaica and MUCH needed bus serivce in Eastern Queens. I know the Q27 and Q30 dominate the area but...maybe another route would do.

The route was to be extended from 230th St and 69th Av (the original last stop), down 230th St, right on 67th Av, left on 233rd St, cross the L.I.E. which becomes East Hampton Blvd, then a left on 56th Av and continues to where the Q27 stop on campus. The Q75 returns the same way BUT will use 230th St in BOTH directions instead of using Cloverdale Blvd.

MY suggestion for the weekend route is to continue on 56th Av and left onto Springfield Blvd and end on the southside of Horace Harding Expwy. The turnaround would be on 220th St (one block west of Springfield Blvd) and right onto Horace Harding Expwy. First stop would be on the north side of Horace Harding on Springfield Blvd.

You know, you didn't have to quote my huge post just to make a 1-sentence reply... :)

Anyway, the Bx2 could very well take that routing but I just thought Melrose Av -> 151 St/152 St -> 3 Av would be the most straightforward route to take.

It was supposed to be a "Super Limited" replacement of the X32, and a supplement to the Q44. It would run between Fordham Plaza and Flushing-Main St, via the Bx9 (from Fordham Plaza to West Farms Square) and the Q44 (from West Farms Square to Flushing)

There would be a School tripper to Bronx Science High School (where the Bx22 daytime extension, and the Bx26 terminate) to directly replace the X32. Apparently the Q94 would run from 4 AM to Midnight, at least on weekdays.

It would have probably been out of Casey Stengel Depot, which is where the Q44 is based out of.

See the link I posted back in post #10

I would like to see the (MTA) to revisit the (Q23) plan to extend it to LaGuardia Airport

Amen! :tup:

Well, this might not be much of a help BUT it's worth it...I think.

I would bring back the Q75 extension to Queensborough Community College (6AM - 10PM on weekdays) On weekends, extend the route to Springfield Blvd and L.I.E.

This would give Queens residents another alternative to Jamaica and MUCH needed bus serivce in Eastern Queens. I know the Q27 and Q30 dominate the area but...maybe another route would do.

The route was to be extended from 230th St and 69th Av (the original last stop), down 230th St, right on 67th Av, left on 233rd St, cross the L.I.E. which becomes East Hampton Blvd, then a left on 56th Av and continues to where the Q27 stop on campus. The Q75 returns the same way BUT will use 230th St in BOTH directions instead of using Cloverdale Blvd.

MY suggestion for the weekend route is to continue on 56th Av and left onto Springfield Blvd and end on the southside of Horace Harding Expwy. The turnaround would be on 220th St (one block west of Springfield Blvd) and right onto Horace Harding Expwy. First stop would be on the north side of Horace Harding on Springfield Blvd.

Please remember that the Q75 was a weekday-only route when it last existed, with weekend service having been gone since at least the late 1980s.

Please also remember that the Q74 was a weekday-only shuttle for Queens College, and that route got axed because it was duplicative of the Q20/44/46. As such, I think any revival of the Q75 in its most recent incarnation will probably be viewed as duplicating the Q17/27/88...

Please remember that the Q75 was a weekday-only route when it last existed, with weekend service having been gone since at least the late 1980s.

Please also remember that the Q74 was a weekday-only shuttle for Queens College, and that route got axed because it was duplicative of the Q20/44/46. As such, I think any revival of the Q75 in its most recent incarnation will probably be viewed as duplicating the Q17/27/88...

I remember as I lived in Jamaica during that time that the Q75 was weekdays only. I remembered when that route was extended to the Jamaica Bus Terminal in 1989 along with the Q77 (Q76 was extended I think in September that same year). As for "duplicative" aren't most routes like that nowadays? :o

Archived