OA- Maintainer's Helper Exam

jmazz77

I am taking the promo exam for OA Maintainer's Helper next month. Just wondering if anyone can give me an idea as to what will be on it. I was told it is a practical, not a written. A S/I told me to pick up the study guide they sell @ Barnes n Nobles.. But the only ones I could find are these:

BARNES & NOBLE | maintainer's helper

Which should I get?

I have mechanical experience on cars.. I can do just about anything on a car. I just don't know how technical they are gonna get for the Helper position..

thanks

BTW, finished 1st week of Cleaner training. Got the forklift permit today.. woohoo!.. lol We graduate & pick next Friday.

Is the job for Maintainer's Helper- Group B? I looked at some old maintainer's helper job announcements and they all say there is a written test, not a practical. I believe that maintainers' helper jobs have a written, while maintainer jobs have a practical.

THE TEST: You will be given a multiple-choice test.

The multiple-choice test may include questions on the proper selection and use of hand and power tools

and equipment employed in the maintenance and repair of mechanical and electromechanical equipment;

safe work practices in repair and maintenance shops for mechanical and electromechanical equipment;

reading and interpreting written instructions; reading meters; taking measurements and basic shop

computations; basic electrical and mechanical theory; and other related areas.

http://www.nyc.gov/html/dcas/downloads/pdf/noes/200808083000.pdf

on the exam notice, it just said Maintainer's Helper.. Doesn't state Group A or B. I figured b/c it is for OA employees, and I believe the Group A & B titles are for TA. I think OA maintainers are called CM. (chassis maintainer) I could be wrong though..

But thanks for the link. It's a starting point.

• 2 weeks later...

i just got my letter from the MTA regarding me taking the test in the MTA learning center which is located in Coney Island Brooklyn. What can i expect? What study guide can i read over? With me reciving the letter, does it mean they did their background invesgation? How long does it take to have my results and how long will it take till i am actually hired?

i just got my letter from the MTA regarding me taking the test in the MTA learning center which is located in Coney Island Brooklyn. What can i expect? What study guide can i read over? With me reciving the letter, does it mean they did their background invesgation? How long does it take to have my results and how long will it take till i am actually hired?

Which exam are you taking?

The one I am referring to is a promotional. So you have to be an employee to take it.

If you are taking an open competitive, then no they have not checked your background yet. That won't be done until you are actually considered for employment, and sometimes even after you are hired.

You will get placed on a list based on your score, and then called according to that list.

Archived