Straphangers Not Happy With Expected Weekend Subway Service Disruptions

Shortline Bus

also, it said on the video that, "no (3) trains from 14 St, north" *DOUBLE FACEPALM*

If people are on facebook & twitter all day, why can't they take a few minutes of their precious time, to go to the (MTA) website & see what they're in for, instead of coming into the subway like a schmuck on the weekends (even though they know, that weekends are known for construction) & complaining that there's to many service changes & nobody helped or told them! :mad:

also, it said on the video that, "no (3) trains from 14 St, north" *DOUBLE FACEPALM*

If people are on facebook & twitter all day, why can't they take a few minutes of their precious time, to go to the (MTA) website & see what they're in for, instead of coming into the subway like a schmuck on the weekends (even though they know, that weekends are known for construction) & complaining that there's to many service changes & nobody helped or told them! :mad:

True. Not to mention i bet most of those station's (except for NY1 who are by the far most accurate on the city's news stations for mass transit news)reporters and newsstaff other than those that live in Manhattan rarely use the subway and have very little knowledge of them.

Also in a city of 8 million-plus people of course they will be knockleheads who live in their own world self-centred and never bother to go to the (MTA) website or read the station signs.

With the Q not running north of Prospect Park, couldn't they run shorter Trains on the Q to Eastern Parkway Station or something so that they wouldn't need shuttle buses?

This is a sensible suggestion as the access to the 2 & 4 trains at Franklin Avenue - Eastern Parkway would eliminate the need for the shuttle buses. Financially it makes sense as the 2 and 4 provide service to many of the same areas that the Q provides in Manhattan. It saves time as the buses have to deal with traffic, however, it is my feeling that the reason for the shuttle buses is that Atlantic Avenue - Pacific Street has more options available as compared with Franklin Avenue.

Yesterday I went to Manhattan and my usual way was the Q to the 6 at Canal Street. Instead, I went to my alternate route 2 to the 4 to the 6. While it took longer, I am not complaining as the work has to be and must be done and the weekends are the best time.

He might have meant (Q) to Botanic Garden on the Franklin shuttle track. Because then people still have a direct connection between the (Q) and the Brooklyn IRT. If the (Q) is completely suspended north of PP, it does not connect to the Brooklyn IRT [at Atlantic or Botanic Garden, which of course is quite unconventional since it would have to switch to the BMT Franklin line tracks].

Yep a shortened Q train that uses the Franklin Shuttle Tracks to Botanical Gardens.

still having 2 car (Q) is definitely making things worse, the 2 car (S) barely can handle 4 stations of the franklin shuttle, let along the whole Brighton line. That said the shuttle bus is the only feasible solution until that g.o. is over.

Lets not kid ourselves, The Shuttle only gets crowded during rush hour, this is weekend service. So you either make everyone get off the train, pay bus drivers over time to drive a shuttle bus up Flatbush Ave, when the IRT does essentially the same thing, or you can send the train directly to Botanical Gardens, where everyone can transfer to the IRT which goes right up Flatbush Ave, with close stations to the Brighton line, and a stop at Atlantic Ave where they can transfer to the Broadway line if they please.

Alternating Q's can go to Fulton St, quick short turns to Botanical Gardens or Park place so it's easier for the T/O to just get to switch ends.

This is a sensible suggestion as the access to the 2 & 4 trains at Franklin Avenue - Eastern Parkway would eliminate the need for the shuttle buses. Financially it makes sense as the 2 and 4 provide service to many of the same areas that the Q provides in Manhattan. It saves time as the buses have to deal with traffic, however, it is my feeling that the reason for the shuttle buses is that Atlantic Avenue - Pacific Street has more options available as compared with Franklin Avenue.

Yesterday I went to Manhattan and my usual way was the Q to the 6 at Canal Street. Instead, I went to my alternate route 2 to the 4 to the 6. While it took longer, I am not complaining as the work has to be and must be done and the weekends are the best time.

What is the situation usually like at Prospect Park during these G.O.'s?

With the Q not running north of Prospect Park, couldn't they run shorter Trains on the Q to Eastern Parkway Station or something so that they wouldn't need shuttle buses?

I agree with your idea! but don't you think there are too many riders, to have (Q) trains shortened?

Otherwise, this is a brilliant idea!

I agree with your idea! but don't you think there are too many riders, to have (Q) trains shortened?

Otherwise, this is a brilliant idea!

How about this.The (Q) stops at Prospect Park on shuttle track.Then everyone stays in their cars till Botanic Garden.At Botanic Garden everyone walks through the train and exits through the last 2 cars.

Yep a shortened Q train that uses the Franklin Shuttle Tracks to Botanical Gardens.

Lets not kid ourselves, The Shuttle only gets crowded during rush hour, this is weekend service. So you either make everyone get off the train, pay bus drivers over time to drive a shuttle bus up Flatbush Ave, when the IRT does essentially the same thing, or you can send the train directly to Botanical Gardens, where everyone can transfer to the IRT which goes right up Flatbush Ave, with close stations to the Brighton line, and a stop at Atlantic Ave where they can transfer to the Broadway line if they please.

What is the situation usually like at Prospect Park during these G.O.'s?

The shuttle isn't packed like a sardine can on off hours during the week, yes it's true, but during ongoing G.O.s as this weekend's it was filled both times I was there, keeping in mind reduced weekend service. Extending short 2 car (Q) there won't work as those trains would be full by the time they reach Sheepshead Bay. The alternative would be to run those trains more often, which is next to impossible because of track limitations north of Botanical Garden. Also TA is reluctant to use southbound Shuttle track at prospect park for revenue service, legend has it, because of a location of melbone street wreck. Either way it's only for two weekends, not worth the trouble.

How about this.The (Q) stops at Prospect Park on shuttle track.Then everyone stays in their cars till Botanic Garden.At Botanic Garden everyone walks through the train and exits through the last 2 cars.

That would be far easier with a shorter train.

The shuttle isn't packed like a sardine can on off hours during the week, yes it's true, but during ongoing G.O.s as this weekend's it was filled both times I was there, keeping in mind reduced weekend service. Extending short 2 car (Q) there won't work as those trains would be full by the time they reach Sheepshead Bay. The alternative would be to run those trains more often, which is next to impossible because of track limitations north of Botanical Garden. Also TA is reluctant to use southbound Shuttle track at prospect park for revenue service, legend has it, because of a location of melbone street wreck. Either way it's only for two weekends, not worth the trouble.

They could run a train to Franklin Ave, with another train right behind it. The second train switches ends at Park Place, the first train moves in behind it.

Right, the shuttle is filled because no one wants to go upstairs to get on a shuttle bus, when they could send a train straight through to Botanical Gardens.

If they think trains would get too crowded, they could use the express tracks too.

These GOs wouldn't be so bad if other lines were beefed up. As an example, the (M) would help bridge Lexington Avenue service during these times just as it does with the (L). Send shortened (Q) trains to Chambers Street or Essex (or (J) trains to Coney Island. This system has ways to bridge gaps that are rarely considered.

These GOs wouldn't be so bad if other lines were beefed up. As an example, the (M) would help bridge Lexington Avenue service during these times just as it does with the (L). Send shortened (Q) trains to Chambers Street or Essex (or (J) trains to Coney Island. This system has ways to bridge gaps that are rarely considered.

Sam only problem is that the (MTA) is doing 'required' work on the Brighton Line between Dekalb and Prospect Park shutting that line down on weekends. Thus it limits the choices.

I checked the MTA Press Release concerning the weekend service disruption on the Q issued on Friday January 6, 2012 at 4:10 PM (available on the forum) and it states that the disruption will last seven weekends or through the end of February. What bothers me more than anything else is that the MTA is giving the riders eight hours notice (If you read the signs in the subway, it was posted on Friday morning) of a change that will take effect the next day. If you are an occasional rider (like me) and who does not have access to a computer (or read the forum) then there is no way that you would not know about this change as I doubt that the bus dirvers on the routes that serve the Brighton Line knew about it as again, it was not posted.

I noticed that there were posters on the Nostrand Avenue buses for the closure of the Lexington Avenue Line for four nights beginning tomorrow for the past two weeks. The same policy should have been followed for the Q Line (or any other line) that has disruptions for a long period of time (anything over three consecutive weekends is a long time) . The key here is to get the message out early enough for everyone in the area (including our local newspapers) to know about the changes and for riders to make the appropriate changes in their commute on the weekends in question. Riders will always complain but when the information is issued in a timely manner, then the only complaint that they can have is "they did not read it".

Before the reconstruction, they used to run 4 car R68's or sometimes even borrow 8 car 42's from the (Mx) to run all the way to Franklin when service to DeKalb was out.

They really should have built longer, perhaps full length stations, with perhaps a way to close them off when not in use, so they could do that again, especially now with the IRT transfer added.

There seems to be some confusion involving the Q train weekend service as there are two press releases that were issued on the subject. The first was issued by MTA headquarters on Friday 01/06/12 at 4:10 PM and that press release became the discussion as many of us responded to this thread.

The second was issued on Monday 01/09/12 at 3:40 PM by NYCT and another thread was created for that one. Now we have two threads on the same subject with the same issues and all because of MTA headquarters issuing a press release on Friday 01/06/12 and NYCT issuing the same exact press release on Monday 01/09/12.

Archived