Crazy lady at Jackson Heights - Roosevelt Ave.

This happened yesterday at Jackson Heights-Roosevelt Ave. This lady comes up to me while filming an (E) train and throws a fit, thinking I was filming her (I didn't even get her in the shot, nor was I trying to). I inform her that photography is allowed and I am allowed to take pictures of her, but she wouldn't buy it. I then walk away to find another person (this one a teenager) who doesn't want their picture taken. The guy threatened to beat me up and kept trying to walk up to me, but someone who looked like his sister kept holding him back. Keep in mind that all I was doing here was filming trains and waiting to transfer to the (R).

It's all on film of course, and here it is! (sorry about the shaky video)

Homeless lady FREAKS OUT over having her picture taken in the NYC Subway!

From my point of view, you sounded scared, don't take that the wrong way. Secondly, yeah it's legal to take personal photos and such like this, even with people walking around without consent; But you'd still want to respect people's privacy. I don't understand why you just didn't walk right away after that. In both scenarios where you just stood there laughing at them or just ignoring their request to leave.

In that situation also, even if you asked a cop for help, they would have told you to take it down the platform and away from them. I personally wouldn't care if a rail-fan was filming me, but hey welcome to New York.

From my point of view, you sounded scared, don't take that the wrong way. Secondly, yeah it's legal to take personal photos and such like this, even with people walking around without consent; But you'd still want to respect people's privacy. I don't understand why you just didn't walk right away after that. In both scenarios where you just stood there laughing at them or just ignoring their request to leave.

In that situation also, even if you asked a cop for help, they would have told you to take it down the platform and away from them. I personally wouldn't care if a rail-fan was filming me, but hey welcome to New York.

Issue is, in public people have no expectation of privacy. I feel I was simply exercising my rights. At some points, I couldn't help but laughing since I hadn't seen anything like it before.

Today when I was waiting for M15 SBS at South Ferry Station, when I was mostly focusing picture of Staten Island Ferry Terminal, one of unknown female B/O on M15SBS #1234 scolded for taking pic of her, which I wasn't and right in front of tourists taking pictures nearby.

Issue is, in public people have no expectation of privacy. I feel I was simply exercising my rights. At some points, I couldn't help but laughing since I hadn't seen anything like it before.

No, you were exercising your rights. But it's like, a hidden silent rule, I guess. Wouldn't you rather just walk away to a different spot then maybe face a bigger problem of probably violence and such? Just my input, you'd always find some odd or retarded in the streets of NYC.

I agree with everything peacemak3r said. When I take pictures of buses or trains, I tend to try to make sure people aren't in the way before I take the picture, just to avoid any concern. There are sometimes that I can't avoid that, because the shot I want may be a one-time catch. I've never had anyone say anything to me, except for something recently, I'll write about that in my next picture post. If there are people in the shot, I can try to crop that out in photoshop. But like peacemak3r said, there are crazy things that happen here in NYC.

Don't take shit from a dude whose voice sounds softer than his sister's. I mean c'mon, look at from 3:08 to 3:12, he steps closer to you then back a few steps, waiting for his sis' to back him up. If he really wanted to throw the hands he would've done less talking. lol, what a clown.

I have a few things to say

1) Always carry a paper copy of 1050.9 (mta.info | Rules of Conduct) and the NYPD Operations Order (http://files.meetup.com/120095/NYC%20Police%20Operations%20Order%20Suspicious%20Photography.jpg)

2) If someone else does that to you, remind them it's a public place and not to expect privacy (If they don't like it, tell 'em to get a f---ing car)

3) That second person talking about beating you up was a BOY?

4) Ignore homeless people. They're 70% nutcases +/-7%.

5) Why was that person following you around?

6) I sometimes wonder if the future of this nation is f---ed.

Yea I agree with his statement. You should have just turned off the camera and walked away miss. I hate when people take my pictures just makes me feel uncomfortable. You never know what these people can do to you, especially to women these days.

Jamaica, rr, you guys gotta chill here. No need for fighting or pepper spraying or anything.

@Orion VII:

Look, man, I know it's the rule and I know you're just taking pictures but if somebody asks you to stop, you just do it. Throwing the rulebook at the someone never helped anyone, not you gonna help out there. That woman in the white sweater was just trying to help you out, no reason to argue with her either. Looked like she was just trying to keep you outta trouble, and I know you didn't need that, but there was no reason to start arguing with her too. I know it's unfair and I know you're following the rules, but you don't need to start an argument or cause trouble over something like that. Half the time there wasn't even a train in the station and you were still recording, that started the second argument. You just tell that woman you're not taking her picture and look the other way, everybody's happier.

Oh Orion VII is a man? my bad, I thought he was a women with that voice & they way he was acting on the video..woops.

Look, man, I know it's the rule and I know you're just taking pictures but if somebody asks you to stop, you just do it.

Well, I'd never give in to a arrogant little b*tch like the homeless lady, but if someone were nice about it I would definitely be nice back and either tell the person they weren't in the shot or aim the camera the other way if they were. If someone's gonna act like the homeless lady or the teenager and cause a scene / threaten me, they're definitely being recorded and put on YouTube.

Life of a Railfan... A lot of people do not realize it is ok to take pic/vids out in public places, that is life. Too bad it came to all that, I would have just walked down the platform, and then continued filming... Thanks for the post!

Not to be rude but you should take that lady's advice. Yes you can take pictures on the subway and people should not expect privacy in public but face it there's people who really don't care and/or just don't understand that and/or just plain nuts looking for a fight. At least you weren't followed or further harassed. In the future just don't bother reasoning with these types and move on go to the other side.

I didn't get to see the video since YouTube removed it.

However, judging from the posts given in this thread, I have this to say: you should always try and respect people's privacy when filing or taking photos in public places, especially with your railfanning hobby. It's just out of respect and courtesy to just keep it pushing to another location when things get heated. The fact you're challenging those individuals shows ignorance at it's finest when you should've been humble about it and moved on to avoid conflict. I wouldn't be happy about someone taking my photo -- you never know what can be done in this day and age with the Internet.

Rule of life. Think about it.

Next time, just walk off when someone goes nuts on you. You never know what people might be carrying on them. If a twig tries to mug you, who knows whether the idiot is carrying a gun or not. That man could have easily just pulled out a weapon and killed you, but you're lucky he wasn't a total nut.

Don't try to argue with strangers. It's not worth your life.

Archived