Train operators: best and worst things about the job ?

Johnny

Of all the good and bad of every job, at least you can say that being a train op or conductor is UNIQUE on the subway. There is nothing quite like it anywhere. If I would have stayed in the City, that would have been my route.

Thanks to those who do...:tup:

Not to jump off topic but i raised a question about about jumping to RTO at the bus depot. Guys were said it not worth the the dollar more an hour. A few things that were mentions was that your responsibility jumped by a factor of 10, being on the extra extra list(one day starting at parson blvd (E)(J)the next day at 207st(A)), if the train goes into emergency mode getting out on elevated tracks and dark tunnels. the biggest thing one guy was saying was the fact of you not taking your proper line up would be very serious while a bus could just detour or be backed up. Also working with someone else in tandem, having a C/R that slow or not doing his/her job would upset me. I myself want to become a Train operator and don't mine the things mentioned above. I do have a question? I'm currently an OA B/O, would my pay rate change or will i keep my rate. I really don't want to take a $10 pay cut to start at the lowest pay rate. IF someone could answer that and maybe add anything they can think of in a PM would be great.

The best things: you don't really Deal with the public too much, not too much supervision(you do your job they don't bother you)

The worst things: you are what is known as extra extra for at least 2 years(depending on when you start); and you are at the mercy of the crew assignment center; takes too long to pick a job as a train op

You spend too much time on the train(cab time)

Discipline system is horrendous for operators; too much of blaming the operator for any little thing.....

Archived